• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Bitter, brutal weather in the forecast. Today's high @ 32 degrees w/ 3-6" of snow then we jump on the elevator to Hell on down to -22 for Wednesday night getting up to a high of -12 for Thursday. Wind chills will be so low that the weather chick's map doesn't even have colors programmed in for such low temps!

We had a cold blast similar to this back about '82. Furnaces dying, water pipes bursting. Cars and trucks wouldn't start or if already on the road they would just die. Really brutal stuff. Not looking forward to this. Fortunately wind chills expected to get down to only -48. Back in '82 wind chills got down to -80!!! Wordt of the snow is expected today, just enough time to clear the driveway and sidewalks today before the cold comes.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Yep it's the real McCoy here today. Snowin like a bitch and blowing sideways. I drove in today and except for the limited visibility it wasn't too bad. The snow is blowing off the roads for now and it's cold but no ice is forming.
That will change as more people drive and pack it down but for now it wasn't bad. I ate my boiled eggs and bacon jerky and listened to the morning news/talk radio people freak out like they do whenever it snows.
So much fake drama gets boring fast, but the city people feed off of it and run around in perpetual freak out mode.

EDIT: I bet I'm the only fool who shows up to work today, and we're supposed to be moving @ the end of the week.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Was 38F yesterday for an hour and tonight it should be down to -25F. Got a small shower last eve that makes walking outside just a tad slippy. Was also fair to middling windy yesterday as one of my bird feeders is now feeding birds somewhere else cause I can't see it.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Arctic blast gets here tomorrow with lows down to -5. But it's going to be 60 this weekend. Crazy freaken weather......

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Hit mid 50's yesterday - Took the car for a Sunday cruise and gave her a bath - 41* with light rain now.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
That was the stairs for my deer blind back in 2015. Menards was the only place that had the long precut treated stair stringers in stock 'round here.
My old S10 has hauled the materials for a lot of projects over the last 19 years!

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just cleaned up the 7" or so of snow we got (not too bad).

Meanwhile the forecast keeps getting more and more interesting. I don't even know if I have ever been out in -33 F air temp. I am hoping I have enough motivation to make a video throwing boiling water into the air.

Weather-2019-01-28.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Meanwhile the forecast keeps getting more and more interesting. I don't even know if I have ever been out in -33 F air temp. I am hoping I have enough motivation to make a video throwing boiling water into the air.

View attachment 123113
Crikey dude!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Drifts are forming across the empty parking lot and they look like waves. Pretty cool!
I'll be dashing through them feckers in my old truck when I leave.

View attachment 123089
Whaz Up!! Somebody take your stairs leading into the blind ? or ya making it a two story ? (Not counting the platform level) :popcorn:

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I got the Calm before the Storm here in Central KY. Sa'posed to begin raining around 8pm, turn to snow after that. Be cold Tuesday and a BRASS BALLS ALERT for Wednesday ( I hope my monkey survives Wednesday).

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I know. You might need to be a certain type of crazy to live around here (or further North). I fit the bill as I ponder if Wednesday night is a telescope night. :ponder:
The one good thing about the cold climate is it tends to keep the riff raff away.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

View attachment 123113
High of -17??? That's no fun.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode

View attachment 123113
Yep, Wednesday is going to be a pisser here too. A warm Lake Michigan should save us from most of the really insane temps
you folks get on the edge of the plains. Coldest I remember here was -45, and that was only for a day.
My El Camino started right up that morning nobody else's cars did!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Wednesday's forecast for my area - Partly Cloudy/Wind High 5° Low 0° Precip 0% Winds W 21 mph
That's what The Weather Channel on the net has it at but after the 1st of Feb things look like they will be warming up some.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Their nekkidness doesn't fool me, deep down inside they want to be warm!

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We had a cold blast similar to this back about '82. Furnaces dying, water pipes bursting. Cars and trucks wouldn't start or if already on the road they would just die. Really brutal stuff. Not looking forward to this.
I remember the chill of which you speak. It was so f'in cold that my warmest cold-weather attire wasn't good enough. I remember trying to pump gas at a station in Wilmette. I had to cut my pumping short because I needed to get back into the car. And our apartment? There were sheets of ice hanging on the windows inside. Probably because I had filled the bathtub and sinks with hot water in an attempt to get some radiant heat going.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I remember the chill of which you speak. It was so f'in cold that my warmest cold-weather attire wasn't good enough. I remember trying to pump gas at a station in Wilmette. I had to cut my pumping short because I needed to get back into the car. And our apartment? There were sheets of ice hanging on the windows inside. Probably because I had filled the bathtub and sinks with hot water in an attempt to get some radiant heat going.
Yeah, that one was rough. I was at a conference in Chicago downtown at the Illinois center. Our room overlooked the Chicago river and looking left was Lake Michigan. It was a busy last day of the conference and we were leaving out the next day after breakfast and a visit to the observation deck at Hancock tower. We were in the lounge having a couple of drinks before packing it in for the day. We got back to our room and I looked out the window. The urban light gave a pleasant view of the night time downtown Chicago. The river was flowing and Lake Michigan gave a natural juxtaposition to the glow of the urban setting. I laid down and I was out when my head hit the pillow.

Got up and it was daylight already when I woke up so I knew I had better hustle. Got dressed and turned on the TV to catch a weater report before we headed out. Was buttning my shirt and headed over to the window to take in the view one last time before the weather came on. Chicago river was TOTALLY frozen over! Off to my left Lake Michigan was blanketed in an eerie light steam and mini icebergs were bobbing on the surface of the lake. All I could think was Oh Shit! About that time weather dude appeared on the tv and said "It's really cold", farkin' genius I thought...He continued with details, I do not remember the actual temperature because I was stunned by the wind chill temp of -80 below zero!!! The refrain of "Oh Shit!!!" was apparently going to be the theme of the day. On a good day home was 2 hours east. The snow said it was going to be a slower ride home. No problem... no schedule today.

Got together with the rest of the gang, there were 4 of us, and decided we would continue with our plans with the exception that we would stop for breakfast on the way home and get to the Hancock tower immediately then hit the road. We also decided that the tower trip would be brief and that we would grab a taxi to get there and back to Illinois Center. We got our luggage down to the car then went to the lobby entrance for a better shot at getting a taxi. Good call! A taxi was already at the entrance. We piled in and gave the cabbby our destination and he commented that it might not be open since all of Chicago was pretty much closed. We figured he was joking and decided to go anyway. He accepted or decision and away we went. It was a quick and short trip as we were all amazed at the lack of traffic. We reasoned that it was a Sunday morning and the weather was bad as a cause for the unusually light traffic.

Hancock Tower was still open and we made our way in and found the elevators. A security guard informed us that the tower would be closing in less than an hour. This was fine by us since we were just visiting the observation deck. After a seemingly endless elevator ride ride we made it to the observation deck and were the only people up there. A really breathtaking view of Chicago! The really amazing thing was in EVERY direction we collectively counted the sum total of 7 vehicles moving across ALL Chicago roads! As I was gazing out the window I felt the WHOLE FARKIN BUILDING MOVE!!! That was it for me! I'M OUTTA HERE!!! I walked backward, totally FREAKED to the elevators and pressed buttons desperately trying to get a grip and a ride down! Having to wait for an elevator seemed like it took forever as I was on the edge of panic. It finally arrived and I was on it before the doors had fully opened. My companions were dragging ass and kind of spooked because they had never seen me freaked like this. Hell! I had never seen me freaked like this!

Amazingly and quite thankfully the cabby that brought us here was still out front. I was quite thankful to get away from that tower. We made it back to our hotel and I was regaining my composure. We got checked out and headed down to the garage. I am so glad we used the hotel garage. Others were attempting to leave but they were having trouble starting their cars. We piled in and fortunately the car started right up. I thought it better to let the car warm up a bit before we hit the road....

Made it to the Dan Ryan rather smoothly. The roads had been plowed a while ago as evidenced by the fresh snow that had covered them. Couldn't drive at he standard Chicago pace but we could at least drive just a bit below speed limit. Easiest trip out of Chicago EVER! Once we got out the Greater Chicago area and on 94 proper the road became a bit less well cared for which slowed us down to around 45 mph. Slow but safe and mostly tolerable.

I was hungry! We still need to stop for breakfast! Of course, this got moved down the list of priorities as the radio provided an endless stream of weather updates, road conditions and closings. Nothing like cruising through dire straits on a Sunday, now afternoon. Heading east, once you get past Gary and Portage there's pretty much nowhere easy to stop until you get to Michigan City. Hunger was such that it was time to stop NOW. So I pulled off on 421 on the south side of Michigan City where there are numerous restaurants strategically located near the highway...as if they knew we were coming...and of course, they were ALL closed! Well, except for one which happend to be an independently owned Greazy Spoon. Might be connected to tyhat well known national chain called EAT. The BIG draw here was that it was open. It also said PANCAKES on the sign. Sounded good to everyone.

We got inside and found a place to sit. There were like 3 other customers so we constituted a crowd. The waitress came to welcome us and distribute menus. She informed that both water and coffee were not available as the water pipes had froze. She continued saying that they had orange juice and that they could fry up some bacon, sausage, eggs and toast. Milk couldn't be delivered for making pancakes. We were HUNGRY! So fried eggs over easy it was with bacon AND sausage and toast. We were thankful to at least get something in our bellies. Weather was THE conversation for everyone in the restaurant. Got lots of intel on the local roads and gave intel on the road to Chicago. A miserable mess all around. Breakfast ended and the soon-to-be-Mrs. Alton went out to start the car to warm it up before we hit the road for the last leg of our journey. It wouldn't start for her. The "Oh Shit!" theme of the day continued. I got the keys from her and went out to give it a try since that's what guys do. Damn it was cold! I gave it a couple of tries and it did NOT want to start. You could tell the juice in the battery was already running low by the slowing of the starter. I figured, well...this is it boy! DO or DIE. Cranked it over again and didn't let up on the ignition and the motor started kicking over and slowly started. I stayed with it for a bit to make sure it wasn't going to die on me again. I finally left it running and went back inside while it got up to running temp. We figured we had been in the restaurant for about 40 minutes. 40 minutes sitting and he car didn't want to start! We paid the bill and all wished us good luck as we trundled out the door.

An hour later and we were home. Got inside and the hous was still warm. I had to check the bathroom immediately. All was good! My pipe was working and so were the water pipes. Coffee was the first order of business followed closely by fresh pancakes for everyone! Wow! What a trip!.

Looking back I'm quite glad to not be traveling this week...even more glad to not have been in a building over 10 stories tall since then either!

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yeah, that one was rough. I was at a conference in Chicago downtown at the Illinois center. Our room overlooked the Chicago river and looking left was Lake Michigan. It was a busy last day of the conference and we were leaving out the next day after breakfast and a visit to the observation deck at Hancock tower....

As I was gazing out the window I felt the WHOLE FARKIN BUILDING MOVE!!! That was it for me! I'M OUTTA HERE!!! I walked backward, totally FREAKED to the elevators and pressed buttons desperately trying to get a grip and a ride down! Having to wait for an elevator seemed like it took forever as I was on the edge of panic. It finally arrived and I was on it before the doors had fully opened. My companions were dragging ass and kind of spooked because they had never seen me freaked like this. Hell! I had never seen me freaked like this! ....

Looking back I'm quite glad to not be traveling this week...even more glad to not have been in a building over 10 stories tall since then either!
Building Swaying, I had an experience at the now extinct RIVIERA Hotel in Las Vegas in a penthouse suite. The Council of Prison Locals convention I was at had a suite as a social gathering spot after convention hours and during breaks in the day's schedule.
I was standing out on the balcony talking with other delegates when we all got this funny feeling. I grabbed the railing and was looking down at the swimming pool. One second I could see the swimming pool next minute I could not.
Earthquake somewhere between Las Vegas and California. We were the first ones of the convention and probably the entire hotel that an earthquake had occurred. A minute later a news break on the TV told everybody about the quake.
The building swayed a good five minutes or more slowly winding down until the pool quit disappearing from our vantage point.
ALTON,
Do NOT go to the St. Louis Arch. Even on a mildly breezy day the arch sways. All tall buildings/structures have some "give" built into them. Otherwise they would come crashing down with the first bad weather.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The one good thing about the cold climate is it tends to keep the riff raff away.
I (riff) moved to Floriduh (raff) because I paid my fargin dues living on a mountaintop in a trailer.

Taught my boys how to make maple sugar candy <<-- You pore bastages up there in the Arctic ought to try it -- it is fun, and it WORKS!

Go buy some REAL maple syrup. Put it inna pot and heat the bejeezus out of it. When it is very, very hot (boiling and a tad gooey), take the pot outside and dribble the syrup quickly across a snow drift.

We useta save all our popsicle sticks. When you make a long line of syrup across the snow, you can roll up the candy onto the stick if you do it quickly.

If you just leave it there, it turns into a solid yummy. But all of us Sneakydickers preferred what we called "maple taffy". <<== that's the rolled-onna-stick stuff.

Caveat: IT IS NOT WORTH IT TO ME TO GO BACK UP THERE AND FREEZE. :winter::thumbs down:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Go buy some maple syrup.
We make our own maple syrup, or we used to before we moved to this place.
Takes 40 gallon of sap to make a gallon of syrup.
A friend next door to the old place, still borrows my sap spiles and buckets to make it.
I'd be making syrup here, if I had any maple trees. All I have is a few very small maples and some box elder, which it takes mature sugar maple trees to collect sap from for syrup.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Didn't we have a member who made and sold Maple Syrup to us as few years back ?

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Here's a little "inside info"...

Notre Dame University and Saint Mary's College have both shut down for the next 2 days due to the weather. This is only the 3rd time in it's history that Notre Dame has shut down. Both institutions are heated by boilers.

Oh! If anyone sees Scorp, tell him not to sit on an iceberg for a couple of days...like any polar bear he WILL be stuck still spring!

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
They already closed down schools in Fayette Co. and most of Eastern Kentucky for tomorrow.
+19 right now -5 in the morning.
BRASS BALLS ALERT ! Get your monkeys in the warm Wednesday, possibly Thursday, and Friday too.