• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
36* ATM, was low of 15* last night. I'm staying in and licking my wounds.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Our feels like temp is about 15 with a nice gentle 10mph wind blowing.. May go out and take the wood splitter up the hill for a couple hours..
Get ready for next years cold.. Next year will be the bottom of this solar cycle and should be a good one, one for the record books again..
Real men have ice cycles hanging on their beards. :):winter::dduck:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Meh. I just take my charged up portable jump starter with me and go about my day. It's been -18 a couple times already this winter and once it's -10 whats a few moar degrees? Lightweights!

.:meditation:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Our feels like temp is about 15 with a nice gentle 10mph wind blowing.. May go out and take the wood splitter up the hill for a couple hours..
Get ready for next years cold.. Next year will be the bottom of this solar cycle and should be a good one, one for the record books again..
Real men have ice cycles hanging on their beards. :):winter::dduck:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The high for today was -8 F. I just walked to the end of the driveway to get the mail and back in 30 MPH winds (-35 F windchill). Saw a young eagle flying slowly against the wind. I am very lucky to have the option to work from home most days. I am not going anywhere tomorrow, when the high is now predicted to be -18 F with strong winds (-55 F windchill).

BTW, I'm not complaining. I find this stuff interesting, so long as things don't break. :)

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
It took an hour to get in her car this morning.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
The high for today was -8 F. I just walked to the end of the driveway to get the mail and back in 30 MPH winds (-35 F windchill). Saw a young eagle flying slowly against the wind. I am very lucky to have the option to work from home most days. I am not going anywhere tomorrow, when the high is now predicted to be -18 F with strong winds (-55 F windchill).

BTW, I'm not complaining. I find this stuff interesting, so long as things don't break. :)
I get along fine in the cold, you just dress for it and take care of your machines and you're good to go.
Excessive heat and humidity I cannot deal with. Shuts me right down I can't function in that shit.
When it gets really bad here I stay in the AC or treasure hunting in a lake somewhere.

.:dog:

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I get along fine in the cold, you just dress for it and take care of your machines and you're good to go.
Excessive heat and humidity I cannot deal with. Shuts me right down I can't function in that shit.
When it gets really bad here I stay in the AC or treasure hunting in a lake somewhere.

.:dog:
Same here. I am fine in the cold just gotta dress and prepare for it. However, I am very susceptible to heat exhaustion. My big mistake was not consuming enough electrolytes (mainly while out rock collecting in the heat). I learned the hard way that doing that too many times makes you more and more sensitive.

-17 F here now and dropping, windchill is -46 F.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Was on and off roofs all day. Coldest air I have ever felt. Was working close to the Mississippi and the wind was just whipping down it.

Just got home from last boiler call. Got them limping along until tomorrow when I can get my parts. The phone should be ringing any second but at least I got supper. If we are out by ourselves in the night we are constantly checking in with someone.

They already got me booked out for double time on Saturday. :banana:

I can handle the cold better than just about anybody but this shit is brutal.

Last edited:

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The excursion into the deep freeze continues! -13* actual temp wit a wind chill at -41*. Expected to reach a balmy -12* this afternoon. Tomorrow's goal is an actual temp of -25* with wind chill ~ -50*. Most everything is closed today. Even got a text from my credit union saying they would be closed today.

The western half of Michigan from about 3 miles north of the Indiana border up to north of Grand Rapids is still getting buried in lake effect snow. The big hassle with lake effect snow at this time of year in these extreme frigid conditions is not so much quantity of the snow but the wind blowing it all around producing blizzard-like conditions. Visibility on the roads might reach a 1/4 mile IF you're lucky. BIG pile-up on I96 last night. Statae police had to close a 20 mile stretch to get it sorted out and cleaned up. The postal service is closed in Michigan today. Expecting the same in northern Indiana today or maybe tomorrow.

Figure I'll call my son in Chicago later today to see how they're faring. Their apartment faces the lake so I'll see if he can send me some pics today.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Everything is closed here too, but I came to work. Hospitals even closed all outpatient stuff today so Mrs Irons gets a day off. Highways are polished ice the entire way down to the city and that was pretty freaking hairy! You just touch the gas and my truck wanted to kick sideways.There were a few abandoned vehicles in the ditches from last night and crash marks lined the snowbanks the entire way. Must have been an exciting night on the roadways Tow truck guys made bank! !

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
We're at 2 above. Was thinking of going to the gym this morning, might rethink that. Also some snow, not sure how much, not much, but it's all blowing around, not sure about wind chill, just damn cold. Have to go out soon and throw some wood on the boiler.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We're at 2 above. Was thinking of going to the gym this morning, might rethink that. Also some snow, not sure how much, not much, but it's all blowing around, not sure about wind chill, just damn cold. Have to go out soon and throw some wood on the boiler.
Throw some wood around, shovel some snow, build a snowman...no need to go to the gym today!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Balmy 6 degrees above ZERO. It has gotten colder with sunrise.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Did some cryotherapy this morning. Outside in flip flops, boxers and a hat. feels like temp is -2 or something. noon is supposed to be the low of the day today. 5 min outside then came in to sit in front of the wood stove. Feels good. :). 67 in the house right now. I almost never get my house that hot in winter. This dry hickory just kicks the heat out though. I prefer it around 62 though.
Stay safe everyone. :winter:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I see a heat wave coming on here, up to 3 above now, also, not enough snow to worry about doing any shoveling, maybe just take the broom and sweep the walk of so we're not tracking the snow in the house.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Did some cryotherapy this morning. Outside in flip flops, boxers and a hat. feels like temp is -2 or something. :winter:
I do that after I get out of my sauna, take my dog outside in just a towel waist wrap and slip on shoes. It ain't like there is any neighbors around to offend.
Haven't jumped into a snowbank like that yet. Maybe today!

it is a good day to die...........................

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
-25 F here in Iowa this morning. Wind chill was -55 F when I left the house. No local mail delivery today but it could be worse. No BEER delivery in Wisconsin today I hear.

Cold again tomorrow but they are talking +44 F for a high on Sunday with the low temp above freezing. Weird.

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Supposed to be 75 today. Walking the dog in shorts maybe. Good weather for the Phoenix open this weekend. Could rain Saturday, bet there will be 200k+ people anyway....drunken sots that they are. Bunch go to the "Bird's nest" to catch some tail.
Tiger again a no show. Last time he was here some asshat rolled an orange on the green before he putted and someone else was taken off the course when it was found he had a gun...not that he was going to shoot Tiger, but he took no chance and will probably never return. Oh well, Phil saves the day, THE ASU alum.
"...and I NEVER slice!...."
"...while we're YOUNG!..."

Sorry, I grew up in Cleveland and survived the winter of '78...IIRC, was below zero for more than 30 days. T-shirts were made available for the event. The 1920's style house we rented had a very small step out platform. We kept the turkey I got for Thanksgiving from work on it for months. That was our freezer. One night the wind was blowing very hard and we heard a whistling sound. I mean a whistle, loud noise coming from the front door. We were upstairs and my wife's grandparents were downstairs. We found the front door had a skeleton keyhole and the wind was just blowing through there. The windows rattled. The next day we puttied the hole and got plastic over all those single pane, crappy windows. Was freezing in that place. I know cold and I found it easier to take a layer of clothes off in the desert to get cooler than it was to put another layer on to get warm back east. We are the original freeze-babies.
Hope all of you going through this severely cold weather come out safe and warm. Wonder how many babies we'll see 9 months from now in those areas where you're snowed in. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Alton's post reminded me of being in San Fran at the bar in Top of the Rock restaurant...

Was just sitting there, behaving myself and sipping some Jack Daniels, and all of a sudden I felt dizzy as hell. That changed to total shock-surprise when all of the glasses hanging upside down over the bar began to clang together.

Holy.

SHIT!!!

I was not happy. It was serious enough that it got in the papers the next day. I do not like earthquakes.

This was just before that road (that I drove under) came squooshing down on everyone. Missed me by two hours.

Jeez.

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hope all of you going through this severely cold weather come out safe and warm. Wonder how many babies we'll see 9 months from now in those areas where you're snowed in. Time will tell.
"Well, What do you want to do ?" "Oh, I don't know what do you want to do ?" "I got some ideas"

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Chicago Is So Ridiculously Cold That the Railroad Tracks Need to Be on Fire to Keep the Trains Moving

Occasionally, it gets really cold where some of those train tracks sit. Like right now, in Chicago, where Wednesday’s high temperature is expected to be thirteen degrees below zero. Those temperatures are potentially deadly for humans, and deforming for the long pieces of metal that trains ride on.

When it gets to be several degrees below freezing, the metal of the train tracks can contract to the point that it will pull up the bolts holding it in place, or even stress fracture. Crews will soak long pieces of rope in kerosene and burn it to warm up the tracks, expanding them back into place for repairs. Once the track is warmed, it’ll be re-bolted, or welding repairs can be affected on the broken tracks. This is vital to continued operation during cold temperatures.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Temps going up here and could be close to 32 F tomorrow, and then it's gonna get coooooooooooolllllllllddddddddd. I gotta admit to enjoying the [L] outta the weather/news people from down South as they seem to be freaking out at something I take for normal or above. And this windchill bullshit is just plain stupid, if you don't believe me put out two thermometers, one called real temp and one called windchill temp. Observe and report back to me on the results.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I (riff) moved to Floriduh (raff) because I paid my fargin dues living on a mountaintop in a trailer.
Now all ya got yo worry about is that MEGA-Tsunami coming from the West coast of Africa, Hurricanes, and Red Tide to name a few.
"How Long Can You Tread Water?"

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Cold here for us. 63 degrees 80% humidity: for San Diego that is...

It is way colder than usual and frankly way more Chem Trails...

Sun feels 15 degrees hotter than last year too... when it comes out from the Navy manufactured
CHEMS...

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
So -19 F for today's high. Doesn't feel so bad until you've been out about 2 minutes, then it sinks right in... but get this, forecast high of 37 F on Saturday. It's going to feel like July!
Weather-2019-01-30.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Chicago Is So Ridiculously Cold That the Railroad Tracks Need to Be on Fire to Keep the Trains Moving

Occasionally, it gets really cold where some of those train tracks sit. Like right now, in Chicago, where Wednesday’s high temperature is expected to be thirteen degrees below zero. Those temperatures are potentially deadly for humans, and deforming for the long pieces of metal that trains ride on.

When it gets to be several degrees below freezing, the metal of the train tracks can contract to the point that it will pull up the bolts holding it in place, or even stress fracture. Crews will soak long pieces of rope in kerosene and burn it to warm up the tracks, expanding them back into place for repairs. Once the track is warmed, it’ll be re-bolted, or welding repairs can be affected on the broken tracks. This is vital to continued operation during cold temperatures.

That global warming is ruthless I tell ya!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Was a high of 33 today. I'm hibernating till tomorrows outdoor work.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
0°............ack

and you know durn good and well that arnes ain't in the tree house!