• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The excursion to Hell ends today. -19* actual temp with a wind chill @ -41*. Weather chick says -23* by 10am which will set THE winter record for my area. Winds are already shifting to the southwest but wind chills will be staying right about -40* and warming as the afternoon progresses. Temps will slowly rise through evening and overnight to a steaming 2* tomorrow morning at this time. Of course, this calls for another quick snow storm to gives a fresh 1 - 3 inches by tomorrow morning. If you have snow you know it's important to keep it fresh looking, otherwise it starts looking like New York city or New Jersey. The rebound from this arctic blast has us 45* on Sunday and 48* on Monday. Tuesday we get back to the drudgery that is winter.

Oh! My son texted me yesterday saying he won't be back in Chicago until today so no pics.. Maybe he can take some today.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
-16 this fine AM much colder than it was yesterday, which was supposed to be the coldest. The experts missed it, that happens when you freak out early and often. Emotion overrides fact.
Another reason listening to the state run "news" is a waste of time.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
-6 and camped by the heater under a blanket of fleece!

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
We are a balmy 18.

The Rebound has started!

Today 53.....
Tomorrow 55....
Saturday 61.!....

And big drumroll .....Sunday! ..Sunday!...Sunday!...monster truck Sunday!....thrills and spills!......predicted high of 63!!!....63 for first week in February ain't to shabby for the high plains.

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
showing -32 this am,

be careful out there and watch your heaters,
this is prime for heat sources to over work themselves and fires happen

can you imagine trying to put out a fire in this stuff?
the guys would have a hard time staying in the fight

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
showing -32 this am,

be careful out there and watch your heaters,
this is prime for heat sources to over work themselves and fires happen

can you imagine trying to put out a fire in this stuff?
the guys would have a hard time staying in the fight
Just call Davycoppitt he'll put out the fire with leftover coffee and fix your furnace with his other hand.!

:2 thumbs up:

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
already had to on one rooftop day 'fore yesterday

the tech came off the roof giving my guys the business for not maintaining it proper.
he got it temp working and went off to order parts, a couple of days out,
so we see if the thing hangs on until then

he was right, they should have all been checked in the summer/fall

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
ACTUAL temp.

Screenshot_20190131-053559.jpg

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I drove through La Crosse WI on a beautiful spring day on my way out west one time. Very pretty area.
You get about 15-20 beautiful days in a year. The rest of the time the weather is trying to kill you.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
LDGs car pooped the power steering pump this morning. Screeeeeeeeeeched like a progressive and now it makes a whining sound.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've been wondering about all of the creatures. Not sure how they can survive. I'm sure many won't.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
House battery flirting with LBCO (low battery cut out). Don't feel like going out to the garage to start gennie. I drained the pipes before bed last night, and I will wait to see temps closer to zero before filling them again. Kitchen Queen is sweating us out, and she is only at half throttle. We could take this little house to the north pole and still be warm.

Not even going to try to start the truck - it wasn't designed for this. Going into work will have to wait. I've got a family at home to watch out for till this passes. I'm sure they will figure out why I'm not there. (If anyone else's shows up.)

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
you aren't kiddin'

that whole river trip from there north is worth the drive for sure on either side, the sconnie or mn side
We were going to Yellowstone and made the mistake of going around the bottom of Lake MI and up through Madison, I mean how bad could driving up through chicongo be? Boy was I naive, it was a fecking white knuckle madhouse and it was no where near rush hour or even lunchtime.

We stopped in La Crosse on the MN side at the park and river overlook there and had lunch out of the cooler and walked the dog around a bit. Very pretty river area that stop made up for the disaster that was driving through ill-annoy. I saw several walleye boats like mine out enjoying the day.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Now all ya got yo worry about is that MEGA-Tsunami coming from the West coast of Africa, Hurricanes, and Red Tide to name a few.
"How Long Can You Tread Water?"
Well, there's that... But... but...

I just went outside in my shorts and flip-flops to get the paper. I saw robins, cardinals, buntings, dove, and peacocks wandering around the Sneakydicker grounds.

Later today, I will take my (it comes with age) afternoon nap in the hammock strung between one of my coconut trees and a big pine tree.

The mango trees are in incredible bloom. Absolutely covered in new mango flowers.

On the bad news side: Now that winter is over, I have to water the hibiscus plants regularly. I pick a new bunch of blooms (yellow, pink, scarlet) every day for Herself.

In about an hour, I will take a loaf of bread to my neighbor's pond and feed the tame fish...

Risky as a bitch living here, no error.

:summer:

Uh-ooooh… Herself caught me before I posted this. She says to tell the damn' truth: No matter how many times I try, roses will simply NOT grow here. Too hot.

Now this is turning into a Fambly conversation... Herself has axed me to pose this question:

"Does shivering count as exercise?" :winks2:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It was 40 below C/F this morning at 3:30. Literally as cold as a witch's tit...

...surprisingly perky looking witch's tit.

Damn. I can be slow sometimes. Today I is slow. I din' get your clevertude at first.

Perky tits, indeed.

Back to the frigid-did-titty: All foolin' around aside, y'all have me a tad worried; this is killer cold. I truly understand utter cold... and I wish you well.

Again, Herself wants an addition. Here 'tis:

Back in the Olden Days when we lived in a trailer on a moutaintop in sight of the North Pole, I had a standard PITA procedure to get my $100 car (TINS) to start at -15*.

My driveway was a tad over 900 feet long. Up AND down a dirt road with a sharp curve at the peak. If there was no (or manageable snow/ice), I would be able to park the car near the trailer. I would remove the car battery, and bring it inside.

Then I would hook up the 200W hot water heater I'd installed as part of the car radiator. It would circulate hot water through the engine block all night.

OH. I used that water heater because of an article I had read: Heated dipsticks were used by many. But they put 1000 miles on the oil every night. And did not work well anyway.

So there was Seedy, all set for the night. Unless there was gonna be snow... or already was snow... or the hill was unclimbable by car because of ice...

In that case. Park the car (facing out) at the entrance. Take out the battery. Remove the heavy sailcloth thick rug from the trunk, open the hood, dump the rug and lower the hood.

Carry the battery uphill and downhill.

Pilgrims... BTDT. All done with it.

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
Well, there's that... But... but...

I just went outside in my shorts and flip-flops to get the paper. I saw robins, cardinals, buntings, dove, and peacocks wandering around the Sneakydicker grounds.

"Does shivering count as exercise?" :winks2:
It's so cold here I just saw Neil Young in a flannel shirt. (I mean Neil OLD)

Neil Young at the State Theater

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Damn. I can be slow sometimes. Today I is slow. I din' get your clevertude at first.

Perky tits, indeed.

Back to the frigid-did-titty: All foolin' around aside, y'all have me a tad worried; this is killer cold. I truly understand utter cold... and I wish you well.

Again, Herself wants an addition. Here 'tis:

Back in the Olden Days when we lived in a trailer on a moutaintop in sight of the North Pole, I had a standard PITA procedure to get my $100 car (TINS) to start at -15*.

My driveway was a tad over 900 feet long. Up AND down a dirt road with a sharp curve at the peak. If there was no (or manageable snow/ice), I would be able to park the car near the trailer. I would remove the car battery, and bring it inside.

Then I would hook up the 200W hot water heater I'd installed as part of the car radiator. It would circulate hot water through the engine block all night.

OH. I used that water heater because of an article I had read: Heated dipsticks were used by many. But they put 1000 miles on the oil every night. And did not work well anyway.

So there was Seedy, all set for the night. Unless there was gonna be snow... or already was snow... or the hill was unclimbable by car because of ice...

In that case. Park the car (facing out) at the entrance. Take out the battery. Remove the heavy sailcloth thick rug from the trunk, open the hood, dump the rug and lower the hood.

Carry the battery uphill and downhill.

Pilgrims... BTDT. All done with it.
Hi Unca! Didn't you have frost plug heaters back in the day? We used those to keep the radiator water warm all night, and if you wrapped the battery with a radiator hose in some insulation it would keep the battery warm too. No problem starting, unless the power went out and then you'd be sad.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Thanks for posting that, keefer. Neil is about six months older than me so he ain't OLD yet.

BF

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Ruh roh! City peeps be bummin........Kinda funny there's no natural gas up here in the woods, and we keep our thermo @ 65 or 66 anyway.

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Michigan residents risk brief interruptions of natural gas service for heat amid bitterly cold weather if they don’t help reduce energy use because of a fire at a utility’s suburban Detroit facility that limited natural gas supplies, officials warned Thursday.
Consumers Energy’s CEO Patti Poppe made an appeal Wednesday night for customers to reduce their natural gas usage. She told The Detroit News early Thursday that “localized planned curtailments” for some homes and business if demand isn’t reduced.

An emergency alert was sent late Wednesday to cellphones asking people to lower thermostats to 65 degrees or below through Friday. And Consumers Energy asked its largest business customers, such as automakers, to reduce natural gas usage.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
The moonbat warming narrative was destined to phail

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
these are the good months on the gulf coast. snowbirds have it figured out. someday i'm going to flee the gulf coast during the brutal summer months - reverse snowbird? scorch-bird?

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Indyghanistan record low is -31

At 1600 it is now 10°

Last edited:

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
We're having one of the mildest driest winters on memory so far in western Washington. If it weren't for the libtards and the rain I might consider retiring here. Take care out there fellows.

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Its freaking over. Last night of on call. Hoping and praying I don't get calls tonight. Tomorrow at 7:00 someone else take over.

It is truly unreal how fragile our modern world is. I could fill a page with stories just from last night.

Glad everybody made it through this snap without major problems.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Finally caught the cold weather. Been snowing since yesterday noon.
Driveway.jpg
And more expected — peeps around here gonna go nutz
weather.JPG

We also had high winds last night that knocked down one of the tall trees growing about ten feet from my house. Fortunately (for me) it fell away from the house and into the neighbors back yard, missing his house by about five feet. Oh, and also wiping out his back yard fence <shit!>

BF