• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Finally caught the cold weather. Been snowing since yesterday noon.
And more expected — peeps around here gonna go nutz
We also had high winds last night that knocked down one of the tall trees growing about ten feet from my house. Fortunately (for me) it fell away from the house and into the neighbors back yard, missing his house by about five feet. Oh, and also wiping out his back yard fence <shit!>

BF
Dang! Glad the tree missed the houses. Last September we had a tornadic storm come through that caused major damage. One of my pine trees snapped at the base and took out a power pole. Luckily it wasn't one that feeds my power. It fed a nearby antenna tower that was out of power for days until the workers got a new pole up. That was quite the experience. I don't normally take shelter but I did for that one.

It's been warm again here and had some major melting, but now it's turning back to cold with more snow on the way.
Weather-2019-02-04.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Heat wave!
So there's a low of 60 for tomorrow then a low of 12 on Thursday. Schizophrenic weather much?
Screenshot 2019-02-04 at 12.08.12 PM.png

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Can we just keep this weather the rest of the winter? 64 and sunny, feels amazing out there. Soaking up some mid winter vitamin D.
Mid winter Vitamin D is the best Vitamin D!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Oh. I see what happened. One week ago I was laughin at y'all for your frozen weather.
Ya pushed it over on me.
Thanks a bunch.

BF
De nada senor.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Ice storm bad 'round here last couple days and now it's taking a turn for the worst. Ice is building up on the trees and everything else today and the temps are going to drop and it's going to move right to heavy snow with high winds tonight. Spotty power outages scattered around the region already and from the looks of things that is going to accelerate.

Glad I do seasonal generator prep! I just went and filled every jug we have large and small with gas and made sure all 3 vehicles have full tanks too.
Now we see if we get lucky, or end up running on gen power for a while!

agen17rs.jpg

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Almost 80 here today, everywhere I used to live is covered with ice. Don't miss it.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
65 today setting record highs or close to it and last week we were setting record lows. :). Tonight back to 24 and back to normal for the next week or so. Good luck with your ice storm irons.
Big Jim, make sure you wear your sunscreen :)

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
-38C[-36F roughly] when I awoke this am and now it's -20F and started it's afternoon cool down. Some places in Alberta below -40 and I hear a few reports of vehicle problems. Kinda/sorta funny how extreme cold brings out the fires in domiciles. Hadda laugh at the news that showed a huge waterfall in some townhouse unit in a city where the builder had put the in waterline inside an exterior wall and was shocked when it burst. Hope they hang the dumb bastard who designed that and flog the dumbass's who did the work knowing better.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
-38C[-36F roughly] when I awoke this am and now it's -20F and started it's afternoon cool down. Some places in Alberta below -40 and I hear a few reports of vehicle problems. Kinda/sorta funny how extreme cold brings out the fires in domiciles. Hadda laugh at the news that showed a huge waterfall in some townhouse unit in a city where the builder had put the in waterline inside an exterior wall and was shocked when it burst. Hope they hang the dumb bastard who designed that and flog the dumbass's who did the work knowing better.
Funny you mention that. Code in the areas 30 miles south of me allow that but both counties I own buildings in do not.
I'm not a builder by any stretch but I was amazed anybody would do that in any freaking county! Bizarre.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
55* now and waiting for a dip into the single digits tonight. Ever since that "polar vortex" thing last week temps have been on a rolly coaster. Supposed to settle down and even out to highs in 30s after this Saturday.

These wild temp swings have played havoc on my sinuses and it's been ultra-humid/rainy/snowy/icy every day save one since that polar blast.

Damned groundhog might be right this year in calling for an early spring... kinda sense it already in the air. Sap should be runnin' soon with this weird "heat wave". Probably get out to Amish country this weekend to do some bucket spotting. Didn't see much evidence of frost heave after the polar blast and there was a decent blanket of snow on the ground when it arrived so the maples should have plenty of liquid water available. And yes, thinking garden already since 'tis time.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The really good thing about these temps is it makes splitting aspen we cut down in the past month so much easier to split. Even our 17 year old had said he wouldn't split it at freezing when we cut a few truck loads but would wait until -30, be dammbed if he didn't do it yesterday.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

My old next door neighbor in Mo.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Wearing sunglasses in Montana. Cold spell. Lows in the low teens every night lately, highs in the low twenties.
Cold Spell 006.JPG

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
This shit is why I spent a week straight updating my old truck when it was warm in January. Damn I'm glad I did that!
My little car is sitting out there with a cover on it waiting for dry roads again while my truck is backed into the garage pointing out.
Because of their light weight, wide stance and good ground clearance ZR2 S10's will go through about anything. I usually drive it in the snow and ice in 2 wheel drive and only put it into 4 WD to get going or get through a bad spot. Otherwise I end up driving too fast in bad conditions.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
bunch of pussies :).....meanwhile at the mason dixon line.....yesterday it was raining and in the 50s .....overnight 4 tornado watches and 60-80mph straight line winds ......today currently 17 and snowing...... at least the ground is still warm and its not accumulating yet
20190207_170238 (Large).jpg

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I hear ya on leavin in two-wheel drive Irons.
Save the 4X to get you outta trouble (usually gotten into in 2 wheel).

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
just how many Gennys you got there ...... i guess the better question is how much fuel...
Two in the pic, four total. When the solar panels are covered with snow I burn a gallon or so a day. Still cheaper than grid power.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I hear ya on leavin in two-wheel drive Irons.
Save the 4X to get you outta trouble (usually gotten into in 2 wheel).
Yep, learned that one after ending up in someones front yard.
4 wheel drive will get you going real good but it doesn't help you stop worth a shit.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I just turned the AC down to 74°

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
And if you use 4X to get into deep shit you better have a plan already.
PNW Mud & Rocks

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Not too bad for as nasty as it is out there.

Michigan
Customers Tracked: 5,003,316
State Outages: 150,363
Last Updated: 2/7/2019, 9:22:57 PM

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Oh. I see what happened. One week ago I was laughin at y'all for your frozen weather.
Ya pushed it over on me.
Thanks a bunch.

BF
Yeah, I bragged a little early. But it's the PNW anything can happen.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Yep, learned that one after ending up in someones front yard.
4 wheel drive will get you going real good but it doesn't help you stop worth a shit.

Are you kidding? Four wheel drive helps you stop better than anti-lock brakes. 4x4 is needed going down hills just as much as up.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My fine feathered friends who decided they are wild ducks now days and refuse to go into their pen and shelter have been pretty happy to see me lately. We'll see how they fare in the next couple of days with up to a foot of snow and gusts around 60 MPH. With the pond froze over and no where to go, I'm surprised the coyotes havent gotten to them.
fine feathered friends.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Funny you mention that. Code in the areas 30 miles south of me allow that but both counties I own buildings in do not.
I'm not a builder by any stretch but I was amazed anybody would do that in any freaking county! Bizarre.

My sister has a house that is on the National Register. It is up by Lake Champlain (where the water temp in summer is 54 degrees and solid rock in summer).

Although the place was built in 1832, it never has had a pipe burst from freezing. And it gets fargin COLD upstairs in winter; I had a glass of water freeze overnight. TINS.

But... the house has wooden pipes. When wooden pipes freeze, they don't bust. Kewl.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
My fine feathered friends who decided they are wild ducks now days and refuse to go into their pen and shelter have been pretty happy to see me lately. We'll see how they fare in the next couple of days with up to a foot of snow and gusts around 60 MPH. With the pond froze over and no where to go, I'm surprised the coyotes havent gotten to them.
View attachment 123832
Kinda a half assed ice clearing job there smooth. My ducks would be swimming in a 10 x 10 at least.
Bungaman suggested herding the ducks out and clearing all the ice with some dynamite.