• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Kinda a half assed ice clearing job there smooth. My ducks would be swimming in a 10 x 10 at least.
Bungaman suggested herding the ducks out and clearing all the ice with some dynamite.

I only have a few sticks left, and I ain't gonna waste them on these dumb ducks. And I know yer lion cause Bungaman would be eaten a duck sammich by now. These bird's are lucky smooth likes duck eggs.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Kinda a half assed ice clearing job there smooth. My ducks would be swimming in a 10 x 10 at least.
Bungaman suggested herding the ducks out and clearing all the ice with some dynamite.

My ducks would be breaking out that thin ice and building an igloo! whistle:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I just turned the AC down to 74°
My sister has a house that is on the National Register. It is up by Lake Champlain (where the water temp in summer is 54 degrees and solid rock in summer).

Although the place was built in 1832, it never has had a pipe burst from freezing. And it gets fargin COLD upstairs in winter; I had a glass of water freeze overnight. TINS.

But... the house has wooden pipes. When wooden pipes freeze, they don't bust. Kewl.
wooden pipes??? never heard of such

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
My ducks would be breaking out that thin ice and building an igloo! whistle:
That ice is 4 or 5 inches thick. We just grow our ducks big around here.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
They had lots of em around here. But mostly big ones. I never knew they would do somthin like that in house plumbing, except the sewer line. But I don't think you could get very good water pressure with wood pipe.

BF

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
all the old buildings i have been involved with around here had lead and clay pipes for sanitary........i have seen lead in walls but i assume it was sanitary venting........i dont remember any thing in old buildings other than steel and copper....but my area is not as old as some of the older citys.........seen a lot of people go from hand carried water to steel pipe water in our area

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
F'n cold out. Just came in from doing a few things and guys I can tell you this with all honesty. There are more stars visible at -40 than 0 or 80. Wish I still had my thirty year old eyes[and maybe circulation] out there tonight cause she do look cool.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Are you kidding? Four wheel drive helps you stop better than anti-lock brakes. 4x4 is needed going down hills just as much as up.
If people were only aware of how to use the transmission as a way to make a vehicle go slower and not ride the brake. Most cars on the side of the road or in ditches that I've seen are all wheel drive. There is a feeling of invincibility.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
My fine feathered friends who decided they are wild ducks now days and refuse to go into their pen and shelter have been pretty happy to see me lately. We'll see how they fare in the next couple of days with up to a foot of snow and gusts around 60 MPH. With the pond froze over and no where to go, I'm surprised the coyotes havent gotten to them.
View attachment 123832
Looks like they are posing for the camera. Either that or you have food in your hand.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Groundhogs are fake news!
Then what are those brown critters that insist on eating my young sunflowers? Dang woodchucks. Once I saw an eagle try to pick one up. That was pretty cool. For anyone who has to deal with these buggers, fox scent has worked well for me to keep them away.

We just had a couple snow storms here. Another snow storm of 2-4 inches is just starting now and another Monday night into Tuesday expected to drop 5-11 inches. I just try and make the best of it.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Winter finally struck. I've bitched that it started too early, September, but it had been mild. No longer, back to pussyfooting everywhere I drive because it will not warm up enough to melt the shit from the roads. Bought the WRX some snow tires, she gets along pretty well. Work 12 hour shifts for the seven off the DuPont schedule provides each month. Unfortunately my employer doesn't much care if we ever see our seven off and forces us to work OT when we should be off. A couple more years I'll be shed of the shitty outfit. If not for the forced OT I'd pick up and drive south until I declared it warm enough to golf.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
3 or 4 inches of snow a day around here. It warmed yesterday and snow slid and oozed off the roof in huge chunks. More than 3 feet of ooze on the east eave. Note the icicles in the second pic, more than 90 degree turn.
oooze 001.JPG
oooze 004.JPG

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Oops! It was supposed to drop in temp during the day. It did. It also snowed for 60 minutes which no channel predicted. My car sat at work and was brushed off by me after m 9 hour shift.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Too much rain & more commin'.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Damb near two weeks of cold weather advisory here, they advise when wind chill will be -40 and try to scare people into staying inside. Went to an ag function and most everyone was saying it was nice in the sunshine. Black cats are more than warm to the touch which makes me wonder why whites inhabit the coldest climes.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
yup ....ice n std gutters do not mix ...especially on a metal roof
Yeah, saw it coming. 3 nights in a row my wife parked close to the overhang. 3 nights in a row I moved her car away from the shop. Half of it came down at once. Conditions like this actually dont happen too often around here. Rare enough that I'll replace the gutters. Our cabin 30 miles further into the foothills has a metal roof as well and works great for shedding the ice and snow.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have metal roofs on most all my buildings, including my house. When I had the gutters installed I insisted they be lowered a bit to allow the ice to just slide off the roof missing the gutters by about a half inch. So far it's worked out for me. They still catch most of the rain, what the wind doesn't catch and blow wherever it wills.