• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Hang in there everyone, less than 3 weeks until spring!

I got to thinking it was very warm out while I was out shoveling but I come in to see it is 10 F. Supposed to get up to 17 today which will feel like a sauna. Then a high of -1 F tomorrow. At least I got to watch a large bald eagle circle me a few times while I was out.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
-34F this am and gonna be the same in the am. Wife asked if I was going to the gun show to which I replied,"Only if gets above freezing". Long story short, a buddy called for help and I'm now going to go lay on the couch in front of the fire until I can feel my fingers and legs again. Bud shouldn't need help tomorrow as I think we repaired the water system correctly until the ground thaws.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Our second heaviest snowfall of the year came last night. We just can't compete!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
23 degrees here but finally not snowing for a minute so I ran to town and got my car and truck washed.
I hate leaving them pasted white from road salt.

I rank road salt up their with the DNC's highest ranking clowns.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Heat wave boys. She got up to 3F today with a freaking wind that is rearranging the landscape. Damb I'd hate living in Florida and missing all the great things ma has to show us. I'll bet there is a thread in here.
Wife just told me to go fly a kite so I'm off with my ball o string and tin of goof to enjoy the last of the sunlight[and probably some darkness].

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I do miss the seasons until I remember one of them was ice/snow/frozen muck season, 84 degrees and I'm chopping weed trees...

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
Nothing says, "I don't care what other people think" like wearing your teal blue nut sack to the beach. respect.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Heat wave boys. She got up to 3F today with a freaking wind that is rearranging the landscape. Damb I'd hate living in Florida and missing all the great things ma has to show us. I'll bet there is a thread in here.
Wife just told me to go fly a kite so I'm off with my ball o string and tin of goof to enjoy the last of the sunlight[and probably some darkness].
Sorry pitw, that isn't as good of an ad as 'I need it bad'.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I can only imagine how cold it is for the rest of you!

Screenshot_20190304-073813.png

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Probably the best weather forecast of the season so far. Today it was nice and sunny with a high around 18 F. Warmer weather to come.

Weather-2019-03-06.JPG

All signs point to another late (or non-existent) spring. 2-3 feet of snow cover over my garden and more on the way. Might end up having to plant the onions and the tomatoes/peppers at the same time again like last year.

MON-5stages(1).png

Last edited:

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
BREAKING NEWS!!!......

Pennsylvanians in shock as Punxsutawney Phil is arrested for fraud

Breaking Burgh
Wed, 06 Mar 2019 16:23 UTC

Western Pennsylvania was in shock today, in addition to being snowbound, after news leaked that Punxsutawney Phil has been arrested for fraud. This follows a lengthy investigation during which it emerged that he deliberately predicted an early summer despite knowing winter was far from over in order to manipulate betting markets. He did not act alone, but in concert with criminal elements out of Ohio who placed huge long-odds wagers on an early summer prediction.

To his credit, local residents say Phil had resisted such pressures for years, carrying out his predictions in a faithful manner despite the promise of huge payoffs if he were to fix the result. Sadly it appears he finally gave in to temptation and deliberately predicted an early summer when he knew almost for a fact that bitterly cold temperatures would still be arriving well into April and beyond.

Those close to him say they were not so surprised to hear he would be indicted as he had been on the decline for some time. Rumors of meth addiction, so often the downfall of those who feel trapped in rural areas, abounded - and there was also a string of dysfunctional relationships with questionable types who appeared to be more attracted to Phil the celebrity instead of the friend they knew.

He also felt under immense pressure due to the rise of a new generation of meteorologically-gifted rodents such as Staten Island Chuck, and was utterly despondent to hear about the growing popularity of Balzac Billy (a.k.a. the Prairie Prognosticator) in Alberta, Canada, who is not even a groundhog, but a man in a costume.

He is expected to be formally arraigned tomorrow once it's warmed up a bit.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
BREAKING NEWS!!!......

Pennsylvanians in shock as Punxsutawney Phil is arrested for fraud

Breaking Burgh
Wed, 06 Mar 2019 16:23 UTC

Western Pennsylvania was in shock today, in addition to being snowbound, after news leaked that Punxsutawney Phil has been arrested for fraud. This follows a lengthy investigation during which it emerged that he deliberately predicted an early summer despite knowing winter was far from over in order to manipulate betting markets. He did not act alone, but in concert with criminal elements out of Ohio who placed huge long-odds wagers on an early summer prediction.

To his credit, local residents say Phil had resisted such pressures for years, carrying out his predictions in a faithful manner despite the promise of huge payoffs if he were to fix the result. Sadly it appears he finally gave in to temptation and deliberately predicted an early summer when he knew almost for a fact that bitterly cold temperatures would still be arriving well into April and beyond.

Those close to him say they were not so surprised to hear he would be indicted as he had been on the decline for some time. Rumors of meth addiction, so often the downfall of those who feel trapped in rural areas, abounded - and there was also a string of dysfunctional relationships with questionable types who appeared to be more attracted to Phil the celebrity instead of the friend they knew.

He also felt under immense pressure due to the rise of a new generation of meteorologically-gifted rodents such as Staten Island Chuck, and was utterly despondent to hear about the growing popularity of Balzac Billy (a.k.a. the Prairie Prognosticator) in Alberta, Canada, who is not even a groundhog, but a man in a costume.

He is expected to be formally arraigned tomorrow once it's warmed up a bit.
I've got my live trap, apple slices & 22LR ready for when that sunsabitch comes back out of his hole.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'll see your Vertical earth and I'll raise you 2 straight pole to pole cloud lines along the earth's axis...

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'll see your Vertical earth and I'll raise you 2 straight pole to pole cloud lines along the earth's axis...

At first glance, that's pretty darn interesting. It would be nice to find out at the time this formation is present so I can grab a bunch of satellite images.

So far I have no good guesses as to what would cause that.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
At first glance, that's pretty darn interesting. It would be nice to find out at the time this formation is present so I can grab a bunch of satellite images.

So far I have no good guesses as to what would cause that.
On or about 3 March 2019 this year. First was a similar time last year

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
On or about 3 March 2019 this year. First was a similar time last year
Usually have to dig a lot to find satellite images older than a day or so (not that I doubt their's, just that I could have found more sources and possibly more detail).

If it were closer to my area and I hadn't re-purposed my home built weather satellite antenna to use for radio meteor detection then I might have caught something.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Three winters in a row we get tons of snow. Where is global warming when you need it?
winter view 004.JPG
winter view 007.JPG

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It's March. It blows. The wind that is. Yesterday steady 20-30mph east-southeast winds all day and into the night with sporadic and sometimes heavy blasts of rain. Been blowing all night with increasing speed moving to 30-45 mph winds swinging around to coming from the southwest with more sporadic rains. Of course the rollycoaster tempurature ride has already started. We'll 40 today, back down to 30 something tomorrow and Tuesday with sunshine then we'll climb to 60 something by Friday then back down to 30 something over next weekend and we'll have rain for those warmer and colder days. Probably be planting and mowing by the end of the month.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
i bet that tractor is a dandy to start..........love the 2nd picture...
It's a 1966 Cat D4D. Glow plugs and electric start. Not hard to start at all. Plowing snow with the plow truck and 8' blade, I don't dare get very close to the edge, not knowing exactly where it is. I can get closer with the D4 as the blade is wider. At this point the berm is so large that I have no idea where the edge of the road is.
Cold Spell 004.JPG

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Ya like the snow, quit plaining.
As a weather buff I find the whole thing amusing even if I have some big drifts to shovel today. There's just something peaceful about the isolation and the quiet after a snow storm. Also we get to know what animals have been around because they make tracks.

I will admit I am not thrilled about the inevitable late start on the yard and gardens this year.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
As a weather buff I find the whole thing amusing even if I have some big drifts to shovel today. There's just something peaceful about the isolation and the quiet after a snow storm. Also we get to know what animals have been around because they make tracks.

I will admit I am not thrilled about the inevitable late start on the yard and gardens this year.
The way it softens the landscape is therapeutic to the eyes and soul.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That a photo of your home from afar, hoarder?
Yes. The loggers have plowed some mountain roads and gave me the opportunity to ride my ATV up the mountain across from my place and take winter pics.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Excellent point. Plus even a messy yard can look somewhat clean under a blanket of snow allowing our minds to stop thinking about all the chores ahead come spring conditions.
You got it! :) On the surface it reduces the visual stimuli that usually occupies our minds and allows for a more tranquil state. Also the color is one of purity or cleanliness.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You got it! :) On the surface it reduces the visual stimuli that usually occupies our minds and allows for a more tranquil state. Also the color is one of purity or cleanliness.
Racist! Racist! Racist! Racist!