• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
That made me laugh a mite.

I had all the windows open in the house at night to get her down to the 40's by morning last week. Wife got up on one morning and turned the furnace on, we dambed near talked divorce. I won one.:finished 2: Anything over 44 and I wear shorts with my tee. Not much left to take off at your 88 nonsense.
You just triggered a memory. I wrote a magazine article on this subject. Lemme see if I can find it in the strata...

Crikey! Had a helluva time... hadda change formatting from old timey Word to whatever we use now. Finally got it, though:

It’s Perfectly Oblivious To Me

c Walt C. Snedeker

I have met some uncharitable types from time to time, and some of them have told me that the only reason that I am not pretty stupid is my face.

There just may be a tiny kernel of truth in there, somewhere.

I say this because as I sit here, I am dressed in woolens from neck to toe-tips. There would be nothing strange in that, except for the fact that the August sun outside is shining brilliantly, and the temperature here in South Florida is hovering in the low 90’s.

So why the wool, you ask?

Pshaw, Gentle Reader.

The temperature inside my humble abode is an arctic 71 degrees. That is only 39 degrees above the freezing point of water.

Of course, the relative humility is somewhere around 20 percent, so that makes it colder yet.

With the overhead fans on (and they are) the wind-chill factor brings the ambient temperature of our living quarters to a reasonable imitation of a cool day on Mars.

It seems the Fabled PC likes it “to be comfortable” in the summer. I’ve just now gotten finished whining, I mean, discussing the problem with my dainty bride, and I am still at a loss.

And I know better than to sneak the thermostat up above freezing.

I tried the direct approach first: snuggling up to my sweetie, I placed my cold nose on her neck, and nuzzled her romantically.

“Yech!” she leapt away like a startled deer.

“Hey, you -- if that’s your name, keep your frozen proboscis offa my alabaster skin, willya?”

PC sometimes has a way with words.

“Sorry, love. It’s just that it’s so cold in here.”

“It’s not cold.”

I reached for my hot chocolate, but my numb fingers didn’t work right, and the cup spilled on the kitchen floor. PC was sympathetic.

“First day with your new hands?”

Seeing that I had casually moved over to stand with my bare feet in the spilled hot chocolate, she gave me a Number Six Look.

“It’s not cold. I’ve been working. In fact, it’s hot in here.”

I tried the best stratagem I knew. I’d already gotten the cold nose ploy in play, and now it was time for the frozen foot tactic. I dried off the chocolate, and offered a foot.

“Feel how cold my feet are.”

But the Fabled PC was more than up to it. She had the most devastating answer conceivable:

“Don’t tell me about your frozen feet. It’s summertime. Anybody who walks around the house barefoot in the summertime deserves to get frozen feet!”

Again, Gentle Reader, I must point out that those of us that are married to members of that curious sub-race (redheads) are guided by some contrary rules.

The obvious difficulty of coming up with a reasonable reply to that last statement can be readily appreciated.

There was an interesting aspect of the truth to my beautiful bride’s argument. She claimed that she was hot because she was working. The work she was doing, by the way, was not something you would expect from a fluffy bundle of red-haired pulchritude. She had been working with a noisy compressor-water spraying device thingy which she had rented.

She’d been splashing and blowing and chugging the patio screen, chattahoochee deck, and outside furniture with this rented monster for a couple of hours now, while I had been improving my mind watching some Saturday afternoon television.

And my feet were cold.

“You’re watching one of those silly fishing programs, aren’t you.” PC gestured at the two guys in a jonboat on the screen.

“I bet that guy is going to throw that big fish right back in the water, right?”

She must have seen this program before, I thought to myself. But I watched her sigh, and turn her shapely self around to go back outside into the nice warm 90-degree sunshine.

I am fortunate in that I seem to have an enormous capacity for absorbing guilt. This is handy if you happen to be married to a saint. Lesser men might have been tempted to go outside and at least labor along side of their spouses, if not even take over the job outright.

I’m proud to say I can rise above such things.

The only problem that I see is that the Fabled PC cranked the air conditioning down a few more degrees before she went outside, and I think that now I may have some trouble typing with mittens on.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Hot and humid. Waiting for thunderstorms to arrive. Should have been here hours ago. Won't hurt my feelings if they miss us all together. Went to apply stain on a house this morning. No go. Siding even feels damp. Will be Saturday at this rate.

after seeing your post ...i saw they had modified our forcast a bit for possible (previously unpredicted) storms tonight......been out busting arse rolling up some hay.....got about half done...checked weather and now the forcast pendelum has swung the other way....enough to make you want to shoot a weather app on the phone LOL

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Cold! Well cold for us, not like cold where that mad fuck Irons lives!

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
after seeing your post ...i saw they had modified our forcast a bit for possible (previously unpredicted) storms tonight......been out busting arse rolling up some hay.....got about half done...checked weather and now the forcast pendelum has swung the other way....enough to make you want to shoot a weather app on the phone LOL
Even looking at future radar, it showed the whole North East getting covered in rain by 3 this afternoon only to get a light rain falling starting at 8 P.M.
At least with the rain holding off I did get the lawn mowed so it wasn't a total loss of a day.

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
100 today. Light breezes on the course, pool is 88 degrees...perfect.
Taking reservations for pool time...some of the topless times are exposed...send pix for best slots. Wink/nudge
Disclaimer...men don't count

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Roomie says we got 2 inches of rain last night.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yep, summer's here and in snowflake city it's hard to tell the difference. We're havin a happy drizzly Sunday (as usual)

weather.JPG
BF

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
......got some of my hay wet with a un-predicted 1" rain pop-up thunder storm friday......today been raining all day 2" so far....... so its still wet and raining in the midwest

Uncle

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Really cold. 44 deg F over-night to 68 mid-day. Everyone in thick clothing.

Golden Regards
Uncle

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Highs in the mid 70s here and plenty of rain 80s expected later in the week. Many lightning bugs out at night.
Love to watch firefly's and tonight is close to the best for it. Don't get dark enough til near midnight without clouds and there are some clouds in the area. Got near an inch of rain the last three days.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We had a freaky little storm yesterday evening. Funnel clouds spotted, tornado sirens, weather people at tv stations wound up like a 5-day alarm, cellphone warnings. and apparently 2 places hit once verified and declared so by the NWS (even they CANNOT trust their radar images OR local reports).

What I found really odd is that someone from every house immediately around us had adults from that house come outside and all were watching the sky. Odd because it was very unusual behaviour. Typically I am the ONLY one out watching the skies and have NEVER seen any neighbors out watching. Maybe it was the convenience of a Sunday evening storm.

Another odd thing is tornadoes in late June. Typical is April, May and sometimes early June...

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The forecast is 72° every day for the next week unless the wind comes up it'll be some nice weather for a walk along the ocean cliffs. This is Salt Point State Park, Deadmans Gulch. Feel free to use this image anywhere you want, I'm releasing the copyright to this image.

1561482772555.png

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Got some spraying to do but we get a shower every 2-3 hours, not much but enough wash off chemical. Next customer who calls and says it ain't raining here wins a free visit from me and my sprayer, if he bitch's about a rain out he may win a free cartridge. 62F and the Robins are loving it.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
The forecast is 72° every day for the next week unless the wind comes up it'll be some nice weather for a walk along the ocean cliffs. This is Salt Point State Park, Deadmans Gulch. Feel free to use this image anywhere you want, I'm releasing the copyright to this image.

View attachment 134560
Boy lumpy that’s a beautiful photograph....

The ocean sure looks flat.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Boy lumpy that’s a beautiful photograph....

The ocean sure looks flat.
It was quite calm and windless, even the fog stayed away all day. Yesterday the fog was finally pulled in by the central valley heat, we call it natures air conditioning.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
88 pool is near hot enough to hatch eggs for crying out loud. 110 would cook 'em. Only thing that likes 110 here is a cool burning piece of wood. Was 68F here and I thought it warm.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
How's y'alls weather shapin up for the forth?

Here in snowflake city it's supposed to be "partly cloudy" — around here that's weather-speak for "We're gonna rain on your ass." It's raining right now [duh].
cool:
BF

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
50% chance of scattered thunderstorms here for the 4th. Having some friends over and if it isn't too rainy I am going to fire up the grill.

If it doesn't rain today (30% chance, which usually means guaranteed) I might be able to mow some of my jungle if it's finally dried up enough.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well we had thunder storms the last three days and I got 7/10ths of rain. Really enjoy these type of days as I go sit on the highest hill around me and watch the show. Watched Saturday afternoon as a storm curled around my place to the west and then headed to Edgerton which was having it's annual sports day. 3rd time in 5 years they got whacked by hail from a storm. Sure is funny how one guy kept haying all day and other places within a couple miles got an inch of rain. There were some really good lightning bolts to see and I heard of three cows that musta been to close to a fence as they all died. Too bad they don't just cook into a big roast.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
If I could I would, Bottom Feeder.

Had a storm roll through today and it knocked down about half my milkweed, part of a potato plant and one of my pea plants. I think they will make it. I staked up some of the milkweed. I found the monarch caterpillar that I previously saw on one of the plants that fell. It was in the middle of my walkway munching on a leaf that came off of one of the plants.

Weather-2019-07-16.jpg

Stormed yesterday as well.
Storm-2019-07-15-Img_8723S.jpg

Lightning-2019-07-16-Img_8792S.jpg

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
62F and a misty drippy day out. Gosh I enjoy reading about 100+ temps as I watch my wife look lovingly at the house thermostat[I unhooked the damb thing after the last time she turned it up]. My rancher customers are getting a bit pissed about not being able to hay but there ain't a lot of hay anyway and at least now their feed seeded crops are gonna produce something.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Well... no wind. Sun was feeling like showing off.

We held 95 degrees for a LOOOONNNGGG time. Then it went to 97. Almost too warm to go out without a sweater.

My wild peacock that lives here used my front porch bench as his shady spot all fargin day.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Damn. at least your weather is exciting.
nothin like dreary assed rain...
At least on days like this you can feel like you are working even though you ain't.

Rain from Berry finally stopped here. Temp 81 many areas flooded.
Don't blame me, I never sent no rain and if I did it wouldn't even flood out a little ant hole.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
we finished up our first cutting of hay sunday as Storm Barry was starting to sideswipe us....been getting tropical type sparrotic type light rains thru today and it started to clear up 80s and 80% humidity is brutal....uggg...weather had us running a month late...ended up with 1k sq bales....a few round bales.....and i brush hogged and chopped up probably 20% of the grass because it was rained on etc.....but it looks like the first field we cut is about ready for a 2nd cutting :)
bale basket (Large).jpg

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Damn. at least your weather is exciting.
nothin like dreary assed rain...
I hope you're at least sometimes getting some sunshine now and then. When the sun is never out for a while it really affects your mood.

I just noticed I also had a small (~2.5" diameter) tree go down out back. Just a tipsy willow type tree so it doesn't indicate much. Kind of a glorified weed. I just sawed enough off so it's not in the way mowing if it ever gets dry enough. Part of what I normally mow is a small pond now with frogs.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
for a 2nd cutting :)
In my youth, I used to be that little machine there, right behind the tractor. Grabbin those bales and tossin em up on a flatbed trailer for another youth to stack. Five cents a bale for us two youth.
agricultural Idaho

Yeah, Eric, we get sunshine, I just tend to post only those rainy week forecasts to discourage emigrants. :Happy:
BF