• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
30 degree drop into the 50s with lots of rain yesterday.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Autumn weather arrives this coming weekend...low 30's in the am and 50's in the pm.. Locally it's been an odd weather year and I'm thinking the coming winter will follow that trend. Getting out the snowblower this week to give it a test run to make sure it's ready for the coming snows. Mowed the weeds and trimmed the grass yesterday, hopefully for the last time this year. Gonna break the law and and burn brush over the course of a few evenings. Small fires are often unnoticed and attract no attention in my neighborhood. Might hang a pot of chili or ham and beans over the fire just because it's monstrously good eatin'! May even roast a hotdog or 4 along with apples and cinnamon. Why waste a good fire?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
For frick sake. Supposed to hit 70F today and 28F tomorrow. Guess who has a 4 year old to entertain tomorrow. Little fella is gonna learn to move or be cool.
Sure, now they get it right. Frick.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
It's a beautiful 76° day with very light winds, spent some quality time in the garden. Planted some new flowers and some new beans, should be able to get a harvest before the first frost.

The big thing is the weatherman says we are going to get high winds, low humidity and fire danger. So the utility is shutting down huge parts of their grid to avoid starting another inferno. Here is the possible shutdown map for Santa Clara County, I'm the black dot by Morgan Hill. The purple areas are essentially open grasslands or 1000 foot or higher wooded areas where the PG&E grid will be shut down if needed.

1570664268454.png

The wind is coming from a cold dry front moving south through the state, So north of SF the wind has already kicked in and you can see the green dots where PGE has turned off the power already. Supposed to be 800k people will be without power for possibly several days.
1570664421937.png

So I might be off-line for a while!

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Today was sunny and windy. Did some last minute stuff in the garden. Looking at first frost Friday after another boatload of rain and wind. Making decisions if I should cover the cabbage and celery or just get a final harvest.

Weather-2019-10-09.jpg

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well, I dodged a bullet on Wednesday night, somehow our power stayed on while all around houses were without power. Going through downtown and the street lights and businesses are all closed was really bizarre for a Thursday. Pretty much back to normal today here where I am, but I guess in more rural areas it might take a day or 2 more.

Was a lovely 75° today, fertilized the garden and gave it a bit of water hoping to coax a few more peppers and tomatoes out of the plants. I use Fox Farms chicken and bat $hit combo on the plants, it really works with a small amount.
1570841129772.png
1570841354342.png

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Was a beauty of a day at 45F but she's been cool enough that the ice remained on the ponds today. Was fun shooting rocks outta the slingshot, listening to the tink, tink and watching ducks, muskrats and such dive or fly cause of the flying earth biscuits.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Woke this morning to our first hoarfrost of the season. Cars, well insulated roofs, some tree leaves all had a nice heavy coating. Not enough to kill off most bugs or stick to anything near the ground but nice to know autumn has finally fully arrived! Supposed to warm up today ahead of full coverage clouds and a few scattered sprinkles. Rain tomorrow.

Had to take Mrs. Alton to the optometrist yesterday, time for new glasses. Since it was a nice, sunny, brisk day (hit 53 in the afternoon). Couldn't waste a day like that so we headed out of town just to take in the day. Farmers who manged to get a corn and/or soy crop this year have managed to get over half of all fields harvested. No idea what the corn size/quality was.

Good wind past few days. I say good because a lot of the dead leaves that have fallen already were good and dry and were easily herded northeastward out of and past my yard into the neighbor's yards and on down to the river. Past few years the wind hasn't been so helpful so I had excessive raking to do. Hopefully this is a sign that this will be a return to "good wind" years.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Grey and overcast today without the dribbles from yesterday. Farmers are pissed as nits and I'm thinking they ay be running outta booze. 35F out and enough breeze to make nips stick out[too bad the ladies wear so many clothes]. Moose are out near every place ya look hard around here and the elk are starting to be seen more and more.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Woke this morning to our first hoarfrost of the season. Cars, well insulated roofs, some tree leaves all had a nice heavy coating. Not enough to kill off most bugs or stick to anything near the ground but nice to know autumn has finally fully arrived! Supposed to warm up today ahead of full coverage clouds and a few scattered sprinkles. Rain tomorrow.

Had to take Mrs. Alton to the optometrist yesterday, time for new glasses. Since it was a nice, sunny, brisk day (hit 53 in the afternoon). Couldn't waste a day like that so we headed out of town just to take in the day. Farmers who manged to get a corn and/or soy crop this year have managed to get over half of all fields harvested. No idea what the corn size/quality was.

Good wind past few days. I say good because a lot of the dead leaves that have fallen already were good and dry and were easily herded northeastward out of and past my yard into the neighbor's yards and on down to the river. Past few years the wind hasn't been so helpful so I had excessive raking to do. Hopefully this is a sign that this will be a return to "good wind" years.
Relieved to hear you're a raker and not a blower. Andial approves.