• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

How’s Your Weather?

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
wow a heat wave I suspet due due to global missalignghment or something that is close to missalighnment f! why does that word not work?
Perhaps due to the misalignment itself.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
lol, even though I know you're not joking judging by the frost pic you posted in the random pics thread. :)

No doubt people in FL are laughing too but I just make the best of it.

Hey, cold is what I got so I live with it.
Gonna be sub -40 tonight and will quite possibly stay there tomorrow.
Glad I bought a bag of popcorn.
Wood fires feel sooooooooooo good now.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I bet. Do you have some kind of amazing humidifier too? Just wondering, been running mine full bore.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
My weather sucks.......but not a -40 sucks!

Brio

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It has been a very mild winter here. First real cold snap just started.
Not complaining. I might have a good opportunity tomorrow to put my temperature display micro controller circuit to properly read a negative value

View attachment 201225

Same here, super easy winter so far. Snow in Nov but it all melted, yesterday we got a good dump and -30 by Monday. Always happens in Feb.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
RAIN, fucking RAIN & More RAIN !!! Today is finally a dry day. Normally I like the rain, BUT, there is work to be done !!! :totally steamed:

Messy2.JPG

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Jeez. Double Jeeeez.

Sun ain't up yet, but it is 82F right now. Clear sky. No wind.

Two fargin days ago, it hit 39F <-- EEK. EEK.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
2 degrees

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Two days ago it was a balmy-for-the-season 44 degrees.

This morning it's 15 degrees with 10 inches of snow.

Welcome to the mountains.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
-20 on the prairies of MN. Works for me. Animals are warm in the barn and the woodstove is running. We needed a good frost this year to compact the fill for our new shed. Concrete to be poured in May.

Reminds me of my winter in Duluth, the horrid winter of 2008-09. There were 45 days the temperature did not rise above 0. And I was living in a cramped, furnished apartment in a basement of a tourist hotel...I had just been transferred there when working for the Canadian National.

Here in my part of Montana, I'm further north, and higher up...but underneath me is the Yellowstone Caldera. All that nice, hot lava, keeping us warm...and waiting to blast upward and kill us all, instantly.

Sure beats Death-By-Obamacare....

pitw

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Jeez. Double Jeeeez.

Sun ain't up yet, but it is 82F right now. Clear sky. No wind.

Two fargin days ago, it hit 39F <-- EEK. EEK.

Walt, if you had our temps ya could use them snakes ya got down there for fence rails.:2 thumbs up:

We use the cold to get rid of all kinds of nasty bugs that the wind sends up here in the warm weather.

Chickadee's don't seem to mind it outside at all.

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Man that work shit ruins your whole day.

Yeah, we used to say something like that about some of our fellow railroaders.

He's a good drinker, but he has a real working problem!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Man that work shit ruins your whole day.

Not really. In this case , no work = no home.
We are getting tired of living in 300sq. ft. of an RV !!!
1612715529370.png

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
We are getting tired of living in 300sq. ft. of an RV !!! View attachment 201329

You have it parked inside your barn shell, correct?

Can you set up a large fly off your front door, throw some burlap on the ground, and set up some castoff easy chairs, to have an erzatz living-space outside that little tube? It's rough, I know...but having rented a tiny cabin for two months, once, long ago, I know how claustrophobic it can be.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
You have it parked inside your barn shell, correct?

Can you set up a large fly off your front door, throw some burlap on the ground, and set up some castoff easy chairs, to have an erzatz living-space outside that little tube? It's rough, I know...but having rented a tiny cabin for two months, once, long ago, I know how claustrophobic it can be.

NO, our barn is being used for equipment repairs until our neighbor's barn is done. He is cleaning 4 neighbors property's & uses our place as his base of operations. In trade, he will take away all of our metal, we get the pittance of scrap $ and he will also take away our concrete & use it for fill on his property. We have hit a bit of a snag, as it was him that got injured with the hydraulics failure.

Our barn as a repair station. It is the only standing structure for miles around.
IMG_5483 - Copy.JPG

This is our "home" until we rebuild, our macaw likes it.

Genies new home.jpg

Much better than the RV park at the coast AND 1/2 the price !!!

IMG_2466 - Copy.JPG

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
So do ya Southern guys get your thermometers for half price seeing as ya only use half of it?
Its not that they only use half of it, its the half that they use!

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Rain all fall & winter...
The Garonne River, south-west of France, has flooded way over its banks... And the snow hasn't even melted off the two mountain ranges that feed it...

PS - Best (imho) weather observation website (free) - GLOBALLY - with a TON of settings - & zoom in/out -
www.ventuski.com

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Rain all fall & winter...
The Garonne River, south-west of France, has flooded way over its banks... And the snow hasn't even melted off the two mountain ranges that feed it...

PS - Best (imho) weather observation website (free) - GLOBALLY - with a TON of settings - & zoom in/out -
www.ventuski.com

Thanks, dacrunch, I went there & I like it. I put it on my desk top !! :thumbs up 2::thumbs up 2::thumbs up 2::finished::finished::finished:

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Rough living.

No room to put up that fly...even though the place is cleaner, and the vista more pleasant...doesn't seem much you can do to avoid aluminum-tube fever.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just another day in paradise. 30 inches of snow last Monday-Tuesday. Another 8 inches last night. More forecast for Tuesday and Friday.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Rough living.

No room to put up that fly...even though the place is cleaner, and the vista more pleasant...doesn't seem much you can do to avoid aluminum-tube fever.

Sometimes, ya just gotta bite the bullet.
We did get lucky by getting the most rooming spot in camp.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Just another day in paradise. 30 inches of snow last Monday-Tuesday. Another 8 inches last night. More forecast for Tuesday and Friday.

30 inches is no paradise for me. 8 inches is nice ! JMHO :finished 2:

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Well the good news is that I finally got to use the snowblower I bought on clearance 3years ago. Of course it stopped snowing for years after I bought it. Finally got some use out of it the past week....

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
At 40 degrees or less windspeed is irrelevant.

I ain't going out there!

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
it was nice last week, high 60's all week.
the week before we had over three inches of rain across the two storms that rolled through, lots of wind...Az got snow from those storms...
today: fog, then sun with cooler breezes

overnight the fog makes everything wet but the sun soon dries it all out again

my phone says it's currently 50 outside yet it feels like it's 48, idk about those weather predictors, they're usually wrong

:summer:

Buck

Trying Something Different!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
At 40 degrees or less windspeed is irrelevant.

I ain't going out there!
at 50 degrees and 80mph, temperature is irrelevant...i ain't going out there on two wheels till it gets to 65...

once i get 'core cold' i'm a mess, but the trick is to keep moving (in this case, it would be to drive my truck instead)

Casey Jones

Ridin' that train
Silver Miner
Reaction score
at 50 degrees and 80mph, temperature is irrelevant...i ain't going out there on two wheels till it gets to 65...

once i get 'core cold' i'm a mess, but the trick is to keep moving (in this case, it would be to drive my truck instead)
California, right? I ain't goin' out there on two wheels...until after the Bomb goes off and lightens traffic a bit.

Temperature, though. Sometimes you don't have a choice. In 2016, laid off from work, I thought I'd use the opportunity to clear some old business in my former hometown, out East...this was 18 months after moving here. Early May, and the weather was fine.

Until a cold front came in. I was on my murdersickle...thought I'd take US 2 across the Plains. Through Escanaba, Michigan, where I had worked briefly, and then over the Mackinac Bridge and down. Bypass Chicongo.

Nice plan. You know the saying; Man plans and God laughs. A cold front came in, sleeting and snowing, and paced me exactly. I thought I was going to get frostbite, even with heated grips, winter gear, insulated work boots. I could barely make 150 miles a day, for a week. And I was time-limited.

The punch line came later, when I found that the road crews had been spraying the roads with brine. Suzuki used to make a good machine. Used to. This was a new V-Strom and the paint hadn't been baked properly; that frame, all the hidden areas, just peeled and rusted...

No. There's probably no more touring on murdersickles for me, but if I do dare, the riding season is going to start, June 15.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

My drive way is iced in and it's not melting off anytime soon..., but at my age, I usually like it to be at least 60 and that requires snowmobile gear.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
We are getting tired of living in 300sq. ft. of an RV !!! View attachment 201329

After living in a tent for eight months protecting Kuwaitis from Sadam because they were directional drilling into his country, I have sworn off camping.

WY finally is acting like WY. It's been uncharacteristically mild for winter here but just as long as usual. Negative temps for at least ten more days or, so the forecast says.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
After living in a tent for eight months protecting Kuwaitis from Sadam because they were directional drilling into his country, I have sworn off camping.

WY finally is acting like WY. It's been uncharacteristically mild for winter here but just as long as usual. Negative temps for at least ten more days or, so the forecast says.
You had no choice & we have no choice. WTF, over !!:shit happens::don't    know2::dduck::dduck::dduck: