• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
If there's a creek or river around, chances are, I've panned some gold flakes out of it.
Well, none of those flakes came out of Kentucky. NO PMs here plenty of coal, NatGas, heavy ass crude, No rubies, sapphires or diamonds either. Alot of horse sh!t here too.
:dduck:

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
I've seen the girl's photo before, but that guy is a whole lotta of NUTS and I'm not talkin' gonads.

Lookin' at the photos it looks like it is NOT his first time at this circus. :sick

latemetal

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Wet, rainy, and 40F, house is a toasty 76F though, and life is good.

Oldmansmith

Midas Member
Midas Member
Seven mornings in a row below zero here, this morning is a heat wave, +3

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Local weatherman is saying "In this cold weather keep your gas tank(s) at least half full gas".

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Cold as a witches tit yesterday. Around 30 today. Nor'easter gonna hit later on tonight. Hope we don't get slammed.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I'm gonna be warmer than many of you.
Luck with the cold.
It can be lived in.:winter:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
11*.......................supposed to be in the 40's or 50's next week!

Last edited:

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Got into the upper teens and may have breached 20's yesterday. Heat wave. On west side of blizzard now. Light but steady sleet/snow. And cold. almost forgot to mention that. Glad we have a wood stove. And still burning up the maple that got taken down the year before last.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Sucked big time here. Snow and strong winds most of the day. Not a lot of snow but it did drift in places. Jersey shore slammed. Gonna drop low tonight through the weekend.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Warm in the low 50's for about a week here got me jonesing to plant some seeds...
High plains of eastern Colorado...

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Sunny and pretty!

MI4.jpg

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Unseasonably warm in SoCal. Winter has not arrived. My figs and mulberry still have green leaves on them. Normally they'd be as naked (but not nearly as lovely) as Iron's Michigan Girls by now.

Last edited:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Cold-stunned iguanas drop from trees in South Florida
By Jillian MacMath, AccuWeather staff writer
January 06, 2018, 12:58:35 PM EST

Though unusually cold air has gripped South Florida over the past few days, an even more unusual phenomenon has been affecting the local iguana population.

A recent cold snap has stunned the lizards, causing them to fall from their perches in trees.

Residents in Miami and nearby towns have taken to social media to describe seeing large, motionless iguanas scattered about.

gnome

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Cold-stunned iguanas drop from trees in South Florida
By Jillian MacMath, AccuWeather staff writer
January 06, 2018, 12:58:35 PM EST

Though unusually cold air has gripped South Florida over the past few days, an even more unusual phenomenon has been affecting the local iguana population.

A recent cold snap has stunned the lizards, causing them to fall from their perches in trees.

Residents in Miami and nearby towns have taken to social media to describe seeing large, motionless iguanas scattered about.
It snows iguanas every few years.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
we had quite a weather day today....morning it was 60deg and sunny.....by noon it was raining and 40s.....by evening was mixed and 20s......tonight snow and 15deg.....all in less than 24hrs.......45deg swing...

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
I just love it when at 2 or 3 in the morning its warm so I don't bank the fire and then by 6 or 7 the temp does that drop thing and its chilly so I build the fire up and every one leaves the house, I mean the dogs like it.

So anyway, yester day it stormed up a bunch, talk about a warm rain. So at about 3 in the morn I hear sirens and then a bike gearing down and I am thinking 'what the?' I mean it was raining cats and dogs and the police are chasing a motor cycle with two people on it at about 60 as they went past the house. Damdest thing.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
we had quite a weather day today....morning it was 60deg and sunny.....by noon it was raining and 40s.....by evening was mixed and 20s......tonight snow and 15deg.....all in less than 24hrs.......45deg swing...
Yesterday 57 degrees today 22. .:moon:

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I mean it was raining cats and dogs and the police are chasing a motor cycle with two people on it at about 60 as they went past the house. Damdest thing.
Motorcycle peeps ain't right man. Just 'sayin.

RS3.jpg

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Last 2 days was out in shorts and t shirt cutting and splitting wood working up a nice January sweat. It's one of those chores I actually enjoy doing. A great workout plus free heat. Well, except for the truck, chainsaw, gas and oil and 4 wheeler and a new bar and chain every now and then.. Ok well at least I enjoy doing it, may not be entirely free :).

Today is cooling off fast.. After tonight the next 5 nights in the single digits. :(.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
It so cold I saw the brass balls fall off a Confederate general's horse. - Jus' Sayin'

^updated^

found a way in
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
There were three Eskimos in Alaska, and one time while they were at their local bar, they got to talking about how cold it was outside, and how cold their igloos were. They could agree on everything but whose igloo was the coldest, so they decided to determine who indeed had the coldest igloo.

They went to the first Eskimo's igloo, where he said, "Watch this!" and poured a cup of water into the air. Well, the water froze in mid-air and fell onto the floor solid. "Not bad," said the other Eskimos, but each maintained their igloo was colder still.

So they went to the second Eskimo's igloo, and he said, "Watch this!" and took a big breath and exhaled, whereupon his breath froze into a big lump and fell to the floor. "Wow, that's colder than mine!" said the first Eskimo.

But the third Eskimo exclaimed his was colder still. So they ended up at the third Eskimo's igloo. He said, "Watch this!" and went into the bedroom, threw back the thick furs, and retrieved one of several small balls of ice there. He took it, put it in a spoon, and held a match under it.

When it heated up enough, it went "FFFAAAARRRRTTT".

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
There were three Eskimos in Alaska, and one time while they were at their local bar, they got to talking about how cold it was outside, and how cold their igloos were. They could agree on everything but whose igloo was the coldest, so they decided to determine who indeed had the coldest igloo.

They went to the first Eskimo's igloo, where he said, "Watch this!" and poured a cup of water into the air. Well, the water froze in mid-air and fell onto the floor solid. "Not bad," said the other Eskimos, but each maintained their igloo was colder still.

So they went to the second Eskimo's igloo, and he said, "Watch this!" and took a big breath and exhaled, whereupon his breath froze into a big lump and fell to the floor. "Wow, that's colder than mine!" said the first Eskimo.

But the third Eskimo exclaimed his was colder still. So they ended up at the third Eskimo's igloo. He said, "Watch this!" and went into the bedroom, threw back the thick furs, and retrieved one of several small balls of ice there. He took it, put it in a spoon, and held a match under it.

When it heated up enough, it went "FFFAAAARRRRTTT".
the used-to-B girlfriend which is now the wife*sighs* is from alley-ask-ah.... and she thought that was down right funny.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It's after our January thaw (Thank You God for the break!) where we hit 58 degrees on Thursday and then winter blew back in early this past Friday morning. 17 on the thermometer this morning. All the former ice and snow melted during the thaw and there was quite a bit. Had a couple of days of clear pavement and saw the grass in everyone's yard and a full day where all I needed was a sweatshirt outside and successfully broke a genuine sweat as I rearranged the yard litter. A few birds got out and about and the neighborhood sqirrel was seen following a female through the trees.

Locally I'm thinking this winter will last into early April which is just a tad longer than usual but nothing that hasn't been experienced locally before so later plantings and such for this year. Kind of thinking another cooler summer is on the way and average "extreme weather". In all a good year for agriculture (barring unusual heavy rains or an unexpected warming followed by a late frost), property maintenance and outdoor projects and activities. The recent extreme and deep cold caused lots of frost heave but haven't seen or heard of any property damage from it. Definitely a brutal opening to winter. But, thankfully, we seem to be back to a "normal nonsense" type winter.

And yes, my electric start snowblower performed marvellously in the brutal cold! Of course, when I finished I looked like the Sta-Puft Marshmallow man out of Ghost Busters but, that, too, is part of the "normal nonsense" of winter.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
my feet are cold!

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well, I guess we really don't have it so bad, at least not as bad as the folks here...

Oymyakon, Siberia: Thermometer breaks in world's coldest village as temperatures plunge to -62C
Mike Wright
The Telegraph (UK)
Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:35 UTC

© INSTAGRAM/@SIVTSEVA9452
The thermometer in Oymyakon stopped working shortly after temperatures reached -62C
The thermometer in a remote Siberian village known as the coldest inhabited place on earth has broken as temperatures plunged to near-record depths.

The public device, which was installed in Oymyakon as a tourist attraction, recorded -62C, before malfunctioning this week.

Meanwhile the Siberian Times reports that some locals had readings as low as -67C - in touching distance of the record -67.7C, which was logged in the village in February 1933.

That temperature was the lowest ever recorded outside the Antarctic and cemented the village, in the Yakutia region, the coldest permanently-inhabited place on earth.

Yet it is still some way off the coldest temperature ever recorded on the planet, which was -94.7C captured by a NASA satellite in east Antarctica in 2013.

Oymyakon has 50 permanent residents and its name means "non-freezing water" due to a nearby thermal spring.

The settlement originally developed as a stopover for reindeer herders who came to water their animals at the spring.

The village's hardy inhabitants survive the winters, which drop to an average of -50C in January and February, largely by burning wood and coal for warmth.

The village sits 750 meters above sea level and the length of its days vary from three hours in December to 21 hours in summer.

Oymyakon is served by just the one shop and its solitary school only shuts if temperatures dip below -52C.

In 2016, adventurer and photographer, Amos Chapple, spent five winter weeks working in the Yakutia region and described its living environment as "exhausting".

He said: "I remember feeling like the cold was physically gripping my legs. The other surprise was that occasionally my saliva would freeze into needles that would prick my lips.

"Breath-mist was as think as cigar smoke and so I had to hold my breath when taking a picture.

"The only people outside were either dashing between houses with their mitts clasped to their faces, or were drunk and looking for trouble".

As temperatures dropped below -60C this week, Yakutian journalist Elena Pototskaya posted an Instagram video of a band of Chinese tourists taking a dip in Oymyakon's thermal stream.

Her caption read: "Today at the Pole of Cold in Oymyakon - in 65-degree frost - Chinese tourists swim in ice-free spring.

"This does not freeze even in severe frosts in Oymyakon. Horror! Us locals, are afraid to go out in such a cold. And here, the tourists are swimming."

In the nearby city of Yakutsk, 24-year-old wedding shop worker, Anastasia Gruzdeva, captured a striking picture of her and two friends with their eyelashes frozen by the subzero conditions.

© INSTAGRAM/@ANASTASIAGAV
Anastasia Gruzdeva (left) with her two friends in the frozen city of Yakutsk
Elsewhere photographer Petr Chugunov persuaded a ballerina in Yakutsk to pose in the freezing temperatures to capture a stunning shot in the ice-clad city.

He told the Siberian Times: "I really did take pictures of the ballerina outside in minus 41, it is not Photoshopped.

"It was my idea, actually it is my project, to photograph ballerinas on the city streets."

The photographer added he had received some criticism for potentially endangering the ballerina's health.

But he said the shoot had taken moments and he had had a warm coat and valenki felt boots ready for her to put on immediately afterwards.

The near-record freezing temperatures in Siberia come as Russia is experiencing what is set to be its darkest winter on record.

The capital Moscow enjoyed just six minutes of sunshine in December, according to Russia's main weather centre. Normally the city would expect to see dozens of hours of sun during the last month of the year.

The unusually overcast weather means last month Muscovites endured the darkest December since 2000, when the sun broke through the clouds for just three hours.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who just read Fahrenheit:

-62C = -80F
-67.7C = -90F