• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How’s Your Weather?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
trigger PTSD episodes.
Rain, yeah, it was 79°F here yesterday in southern Ohio. So nice I got out the bike and rode it to the gas station, filled it up and just naturally took the the long way home. I may have to take it out again to refill it.

That high was a record for here on that date, I think. I did not watch the tube to see what was said about it. Supposed to be a 70-100% chance of rain the rest of the week. Probably won't be taking the bike out again for a while.

Also, that 79° will be a high for a while, back to using the furnace.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well, it looks like they might be expecting a little snow here again. Its what rain does when its cold, I guess. But rain is never very far away.

Weather.JPG
BF

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
Shit? Is it nap time? How come I'm always late on the memo :panda:

Let all these young guys fix the world. I kinna just enjoy sittin back and watching the whole shit bag go up in flames for some odd reason. The Big BonFire.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We're at 30 now. The rain has finally stopped. It's oddly quiet. Probably lots of folks busy still bailing out. Local rivers are expected to crest tomorrow...all above flood stage. Certainly all the local lakes and ponds have been refreshed. All that rain helped to warm the surface soil. Hoping the local trees aren't going to wake up and start doing their tree thing too early. I know sap's already running which should make for abundant syrup this year. However, the Michigan fruit belt is just to our north and on the calendar at least, there's a lot of winter left...

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Cold snap after cold snap in Wyoming. We are getting another one this weekend. This crap is getting old and I think this is the longest winter we've had since I moved here eleven years ago. I reiterate that winter started in September and at this rate it may be snowing in June.
I can feel for ya, I lived in Gillette for a short time. Had to move back to Billings where it was warm!

It was so cold here I couldn't sit in my lawn chair with my coffee, we've had two nights of hard freeze and had to bring in all my tender potted plants. Generally destroyed everything in the garden except the cabbage, onions, and garlic. I put up a gallon of sauerkraut last night and hope to have at least one more cabbage harvest off the plants again this winter.
Frostsmall.jpg

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
80* warmer than the other day

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We hit the beach on Sunday. It was absolutely beautiful, but only a few tourists went into the water because it was too cold.

27867647_10213314228028983_2493144637691564925_n.jpg

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
The snow we had on Saturday was gone Sunday..........hit the low 50's. Low 70's yesterday. Almost 80 today. Mid 40's and rain tomorrow.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
flooding-rivers-midwest-Feb-2018-NOAA-National-Weather-Service.png

Purple = Major flood stage
Red = Moderate flood stage
Orange = Minor flood stage

Link: USA and Canada – 2 Dead, 1 Missing as Rivers Overflow in Midwest and Ontario – FloodList
Illinois, Wisconsin. Ohio and numerous videos at link.

Michigan

In Fairplain Township, Montcalm County, Michigan, a young girl died in standing water in her family's backyard on Wednesday 21 February, according to the Associated Press.

Evacuations were carried out in Croton Township, Newaygo County, as the Muskegon River burst its banks. The Muskegon River at Croton Dam crested at 11.51 feet early on 21 Wednesday. Newaygo County Emergency Services said:

"Moderate flooding is occurring on the Muskegon River. Inundation of homes, roads, and structures is occurring. If you live within the impacted area, and you have not already done so, you should evacuate now."

Authorities in Lansing, Michigan, declared a state of emergency and recommended the evacuations in vulnerable areas after the Grand River rose.

"While the rain has stopped, we are expecting significant flooding in certain areas of the city," said Mayor Andy Schor.

"Declaring a State of Emergency allows us to have all hands-on deck to proactively provide the necessary information and resources to protect our residents. The City of Lansing is prepared for emergencies like this, thanks to the efforts of our Emergency Management Center, first responders, city employees and the support of the American Red Cross and volunteers."

As of 22 February, the Grand River at Lansing stood at 14.06 feet. The National Weather Service predicts the Grand River in Lansing will crest at 14.6 feet, nearly three feet above flood stage by late Thursday.

Indiana

In Elkhart and Goshen, local officials declared a state of emergency. About 20 people had been evacuated from homes in Elkhart by emergency crews using boats.

The St Joseph River at Elkhart stood at 28.4 feet on 22 February, above major flood stage of 27 feet.

The Elkhart River at Goshen crested on 21 February at 12.49 feet, well above the 11 feet major flood stage.

The St Joseph River at South Bend reached record levels of 12.9 feet on 21 February (previous record was 10.9 feet set in 1993). Major flood stage is 9 feet.

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg said:

"The City has formally declared an emergency. Please be patient with closures and detours as the situation is still evolving. This is now a 500-year flood."

Record flooding is also occurring in Niles ( parentheses for added note-just over state line due north of South Bend), where the St. Joseph River stood at 16.87 feet on 21 February. The previous record was 15.1 feet set in 1950.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

St. Joe river dam at Niles is stressed as well as in Buchanan, Michigan.
IU South Bend campus, student resident area was offered evacuation, students sandbagged buildings instead

Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Woo Woo slip-n-slide tomorrow on seattle commuters morning journey. Our snow here is a special kind of greasy, I've seen my dogs slip and fall down in my driveway.

weather.JPG

I was slidin around myself today, had to get to a doc appointment. It looks like it might stick around thru the weekend and into next week. If the temp stays below freezing at night it's skating rink time on seattle hills — look out for the jack knifed buses.

BF

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I put a log on the fire this morning.
I haven't had a fire in a minute now. Looks like I have a very nice jump on next years wood supply. First time since I moved to Oh 8 years ago that I haven't needed a fire in Feb.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
First time since I moved to Oh 8 years ago that I haven't needed a fire in Feb.
Mine is in an outdoor wood boiler. I just shut it off, house gets warm even though, because the pumps run all the time if the air in my furnace gets up to temp the blower comes on, even though the thermostat is not calling for heat. I had actually let it go down Monday and restarted it when the temp dropped Wednesday evening. There was still hot coals enough all I had to is add some wood. And Yes, I think I will have more wood left over this year than I thought. A good start on next year, and next years wood is all cut, split and thrown into a pile to weather, (season) until next fall - when it all starts over again. I'll probably move it into the wood shed this spring.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Mine is in an outdoor wood boiler. I just shut it off, house gets warm even though, because the pumps run all the time if the air in my furnace gets up to temp the blower comes on, even though the thermostat is not calling for heat. I had actually let it go down Monday and restarted it when the temp dropped Wednesday evening. There was still hot coals enough all I had to is add some wood. And Yes, I think I will have more wood left over this year than I thought. A good start on next year, and next years wood is all cut, split and thrown into a pile to weather, (season) until next fall - when it all starts over again. I'll probably move it into the wood shed this spring.
I took a ride around the property on Sunday on the 4wheeler. Looks like I have plenty of wood lying around for next year. 1 or 2 days of cutting this spring and I should be set. Its a nice feeling being able to get ahead a little bit.

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
OK, slip n slide fun over — back to our regular programming...

weather.JPG

See why people say it doesn't rain that much in Seattle?
Yeah, me neither.

BF

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Low 60's today.

Calling for some crazy shit tomorrow.............

'Bomb cyclone' - called Winter Storm Riley - heads for the Northeast, bringing hurricane-level winds, wet snow and torrential rainfall
  • Deemed the Nor'easter, the mega storm could become a 'bomb cyclone' by falling at least 24-millibars in atmospheric pressure in 24 hours
  • A sudden pressure plummet on Friday is expected to hit the Atlantic coast leading into Saturday
  • Power outages are expected and flight delays will be numerous from Chicago all the way to Boston
  • High wind warnings have been advised for an over 900 mile stretch from northern Georgia to southern Maine
  • With a full moon the tides will be their highest and could potentially cause massive flooding along the east coast
  • The West Coast won't escape mucky weather conditions as a separate storm is predicted to hit late Thursday and into Friday

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5451965/Another-bomb-cyclone-set-hit-east-coast-floods.html#ixzz58XzoW7uq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Hystckndle

CONFORMADAPTKICKSOMEASS!!!
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Dipped to 26 or so , smoked 15 foot palms I had.
Avacado tree survived
Tree bamboo, 30 lft gone.
THEN,
Warmest February evvvver.
22 days straight over 80.
March now slated to be UNDER average.
40 degree swing to the downside by tomorrow night / Saturday.
Go figure.
Conform and adapt.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I was working in downtown Miami today and it was just beautiful in the 80s. Went over to Key Biscayne and Crandon Park too. That part of Florida is uniquely beautiful.

Downtown Miami.jpg
Brickell.jpg
Brickell 2.jpg
Brickell 3.jpg

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I'd love to have a little place out in the country about 90 miles south of there. :)

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I planned on washing the cars and riding my motorcycle to the gym in a tshirt until I woke up. It was chilly this morning!
28471699_10213426475515100_1556489784014606592_n.jpg

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
March weather sucks in the Upper Midwest. One day its 45* with heavy rain that melts all the snow on top of frozen ground that leads to flooding. The next day it's 55* and sunny where insects are hatching, frogs are calling, and the migratory birds are back. The day after that it's 25* with a blizzard. Supposed to get 4-6" of wet snow the next 2 days followed by cold temperatures. Might get above freezing on Saturday...round and round we go.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Really not looking forward to this shit.

Winter storm is set to dump up to 18 inches of snow on Philadelphia and New York City on the first full day of spring as the region braces for the FOURTH Nor'easter this month
  • Parts of the Northeast are bracing for a powerful winter storm to hit Wednesday
  • National Weather Service says storm packing heavy, wet snow and strong winds could dump up to 18 inches of snow in some locations
  • It will be the fourth nor'easter to smack the region in the last three weeks
  • Bulk likely to hit New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware and eastern Pennsylvania
  • Up to 16 inches is expected in New York, while Philadelphia could get more

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5522777/Northeast-braces-wintry-wallop-1st-day-spring.html#ixzz5AKnwyOu1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Bottom Feeder

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Well, it's spring and so now we get showers. Betcha ya didn't expect that, did ya?

weather.JPG

Sympathy for you guys with all the snow...
BF

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We barely dodged that bullet that got you down there gringott. The top of that storm tickled our bottom as it went by on it's way east.

After the rains and floods it's been unusually dry, cold and slow to warm for this time in March. Highs in the low 40's and lows in the low 20's. In that spot where we could get a blizzard or a sudden outbreak of summer. Really hard to tell.

Birds have made it back. First robins hit the yard 27 February and the migratory birds are stopping by on their trek northward. Numbers are small though like winter has been more brutal than usual.

Some maples are already budding and the early flowers have already sent up stems so I expect to see flowers here shortly, like within the next week.

All in all it feels and appears that spring is here but reluctantly...

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We have flowers from the garden in the kitchen in a vase, picked two days ago. Yellow ones, look nice with the snow.
We have the same bird action. Very active. Pair of red cardinals hanging out in the yard the last couple of days.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Green grass has a bit of snow this AM still hanging just above freezing. We could still get more snow as this storm going through Ohio seems to be a slow moving low pressure and we seem to be at the eye of it as the snow is circling all around our area, but not much of it is actually hitting us. They have not called off school yet or the phone would have rang - we are on the school's call list. Traffic is moving along at a normal pace on the state highway.

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
We still can't buy snow but Lake Erie is backing up into all the local creeks and rivers. It was splashing over the road in several places.