• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How Many Magazines Do You Need?

mayhem

A different perspective
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I have 5 brand new Chinese AK-47 mags, the ones that will hold the bolt open after the last round that are still wrapped in that oily heavy paper, tied off with string. I had forgotten all about them until just the other day. Gonna have to clean the cosmo off of them and oil them up and re-wrap them.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Problem is if you are away from your weapon then you ain't getting to it, at all. Now while you are choking on your blood then those who can get to it the question is how many should they need? My answer is as many as it takes so having ten mags per weapon close at hand is critical to life and living because those who shoot back live longer.

Besides who is going to pack eight clips while grocery shopping? Not me cuz stupid cars get broke into.

You know life is tuff and at first I thought it was because I was stupid then I realized I am living in a police state.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
If memory serves, when they killed Bonnie & Clyde, they had their own personal weapons - he favored Colt .45 and she had a .38 special. Plus a couple of 12 gauge shotguns, both cut down.

Plus two BAR's, one of which barrel was cut down. And usually carried at least fifty spare mags for the BAR's on the floor of the car they were driving. NO DOUBT it lowered the center of gravity in the car so when they drove around corners it was fairly flat handling.

How many are too many? I don't know. Each situation is different.

I guess the question is how long do you want the fight to go on before YOU run out of ammo?

TOUGH QUESTION.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
This thread reminds me of the first Dungeons and Dragons game I watched where the Dungeon Master enforced encumbrance rules. "No, you can not carry another full armour while wearing full armour, sword, shield, and 45 lbs of gold."

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Since when does "need" come into the picture? I don't need anyone telling me how many I need. That's kinda the reason for the rifle... I think the more correct question should be How many do I want? The answer, A lot!

Aurumag

Dimly lit. Highly reflective
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
....canvas 10 pouch and one ( vets have told me two) bandoleer ( all .30 M2 AP- black tip-notice vintage pic) won it for us back in '45. I also like to have a bunch of silver tip API on hand to take care of any lightly armored vehicles that may get in the way....M2 AP takes absolutely all cover ( sandbags, steel, 28" diameter trees, 5 inches reinforced concrete,...) away from those wishing to ruin my peace and tranquility. AR 5.56 fans really need to rethink and discover what " firepower" and "penetration" is. I threw a 5.56 round in my picture for scale. PS, I do own an AR, I let my daughter and 10 year old shoot it.

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
.....my question to all is how many belts do I need? I try to keep at least 4 cans on hand, the price has gotten rather high, ( I had to buy some steel cased) so I have been forced to start reloading my own, I have a ways to go to fill them all with AP.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
.....darn, I started thinking about the original post....reminded me I had to check my mag situation for the Bren....I forgot about my WW2 dated Bren ammo box, still has that cosmoline smell to it. It took awhile to haul it out but found all 12 mags topped off....so my answer is 12. One thing for sure, I would not want to hump the beast with the topped off ammo box very far.....good thing I have junior to assist....he did well killing bowling pins at 100 yds. and handled the recoil well. He turns ten soon, perfect time to teach him alittle about " suppressive" fire......
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
My ar mags are 42 rounds , I have some 30 round ones also, I would rather have too many and not need them than to need them and not have them.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
I'd like to have the holster setup the guy on the mummy had, I think he had like 4/5 guns on him

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Two Strange Project SPIW Magazines
Forgotten Weapons

Published on Dec 15, 2016
http://www.patreon.com/ForgottenWeapons

Today we are taking a look at two unusual magazines from unusual firearms. These are a 60-round double-column mag from a Springfield 1964 SPIW bullpup and a 50-round box magazine from an AAI XM-19 serial flechette rifle.

For lots more information on Project SPIW, the best source is "SPIW: The Deadliest Weapon that Never Was": http://amzn.to/2hjB0C1

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Slabs and Waffles and Bakes, Oh My! A History of Soviet AK Magazines
Forgotten Weapons

Published on Dec 13, 2016
http://www.patreon.com/ForgottenWeapons

In recent months, a couple of interesting developmental varieties of AK mags have appeared on the market here in the US, and I figure folks might be interested in learning about the history of where and when they came from, and why they were used or not used. So today, we will look at the progression from slabside to ribbed to aluminum to "bakelite" magazines for the AK-47, AKM, AK-74, RPK, and RPK-74. Russian ones, anyway - we will leave magazines from other countries for another day!