• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

How many weeks of food is this?

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
It is annoying to make a big batch of anything only to find you hate the first bite LOL. I'm thinking these will be wonderful though and woulda been even better without the carrots. I'm in the process of making 8 quarts of corn chowder cause it's -32C out right now.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
My personal opinion is that, if things ever really get tough and the just in time grocery system breaks down, for any reason, high quality protein is the food item that will be hardest to come by. Love them or hate ‘em, Walmart, in my area anyway, stocks a nice supply of canned meat, for what I consider to be very reasonable prices. An American company called Keystone, cans beef, pork, turkey and chicken in 14 & 28 ounce cans. The 28 ounce cans of beef work out to $4 a pound, which I think is very reasonable and it’s very high quality stuff. It tastes great and all it is is beef and sea salt. We use it all the time, for stews, chili, quick and dirty soups and so on. I also like red sockeye salmon, for high quality protein and omega 3 fats. It’s more pricey, but you need the omegas!

B1EA977E-0BD5-4286-975A-C4623262DB3D.jpeg
CF992083-FC89-40D2-BEDC-AB14013F2494.jpeg
CFADD822-1577-4DB6-A2FB-463A31F20C0D.jpeg
87B403CC-39D0-454B-A7F9-9D15FEDFD8AA.jpeg
966456CA-D0C3-4100-B5DC-8CB819C6FB13.jpeg
13871A07-86DE-4E2B-871F-A97A599F5000.jpeg
FAF5E45B-2E94-4745-8687-5055A3AC101A.jpeg

Trailblazer6

Seeker
Site Supporter ++
Last edited:

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
If this is long term storage the 2 mixes will go rancid.
Flour doesn't have a long shelf life.
You need to get hard wheat berries for storage and grind it when needed.
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/food/grains-legumes-seeds

25 lbs biscuit mix
25 lbs maz torrtilla mix
25 Lbs dry pinto beans
1 large can sausage gravy
1 large can Enchilada sauce
3 packets of country gravy mix

How long you think this would last a family of four for example? I bought some other odds and ends that are not included in my preps and it was under 100 dollars. View attachment 142313 View attachment 142313

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
If this is long term storage the 2 mixes will go rancid.
Flour doesn't have a long shelf life.
You need to get hard wheat berries for storage and grind it when needed.
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/food/grains-legumes-seeds
I do buy these types of things (mixes, flour etc.) for intermediate storage and use my vacuum sealer attachments to seal them into 1/2 gallon mason jars. Freeze the flour or mix first to kill any insect eggs or teeny bugs. Then vacuum seal. I have had fresh tasting pancake mix, wheat flour and biscuit mix after 4-5 years in spite of the vacuum sealer claim of 2 years. Rotate items into everyday menus and replace accordingly.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I vacuum seal and freeze 00 Italian Neapolitan pizza flour and it bakes the same a year later as it does fresh. I have to buy a 50 lb bag to get a good price and recent mill date. I would imagine any flour vacuumed sealed and frozen will give the same results.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Im to lazy to do all those steps.
Years ago I bought cases of dehydrated veggies and meat in # 10 cans
6 gallon Super pails of red and white wheat berries .
Packed it all away in my basement with other things.
Its just a insurance policy to me. Hope I never need to eat any of it.

But I did open a pail of the hard white wheat to try out my grinder.
Made great cream of wheat

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
LOL, @stoli ...There are many layers to my preps including lazy ones. I also have a lot of freeze dried #10 cans and pails of grain. Yoder's canned bacon is awesome. I have cans of beef of the type SoG mentioned. Prepping is an investment in my retirement and an insurance policy for when any number of SHTF events occur.

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I have to try that bacon.
Sodium is a problem with alot of the canned goods.
You might survive a catastrophe and end up stroking out eatin your food
LOL, @stoli ...There are many layers to my preps including lazy ones. I also have a lot of freeze dried #10 cans and pails of grain. Yoder's canned bacon is awesome. I have cans of beef of the type SoG mentioned. Prepping is an investment in my retirement and an insurance policy for when any number of SHTF events occur.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
It's easy to go wrong though. I bought lots of Campbell's chicken noodle soup when I found it on sale because David was eating it several times a week. But David died. And now I have 60 or 70 cans of the soup stored and it isn't getting used. I thought, what can go wrong? As long as there is no can failure, it should last a long time. Well guess what? Foods canned in those pop top cans (and many, many foods are) suffer can failure around the pop tops and then you have a mess to clean up -- not to mention loss of preps.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
After several years of storage canned tomato products like sauces, rotel, diced tomatoes, take on a metal taste, whats that all about?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
After several years of storage canned tomato products like sauces, rotel, diced tomatoes, take on a metal taste, whats that all about?
Acidity eating away the can.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
All metals......well.....everything really has "porosity" tomato products have lots of citric acid in the juice (they are a fruit)

That juice is slowly getting in the porosity and literally dissolving the can, so you are eating the tin/tomato solution.

look at it as the extra minerals that you can't get any other way.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Won't hurt ya. Except as a chef ...

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
We found a case of Crats that were stamped 5/42, everything was still good but the tomato products, every can had "soft spots", leakage and or "pooched" ends (botulism/fermentation/spoilage)

can of lima beans was under pressure! Nobody had the stones to mess!

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
It's easy to go wrong though. I bought lots of Campbell's chicken noodle soup when I found it on sale because David was eating it several times a week. But David died. And now I have 60 or 70 cans of the soup stored and it isn't getting used. I thought, what can go wrong? As long as there is no can failure, it should last a long time. Well guess what? Foods canned in those pop top cans (and many, many foods are) suffer can failure around the pop tops and then you have a mess to clean up -- not to mention loss of preps.
I’ve had the same experience with those pop top lids. They’re convenient, but storage life is severely limited.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Most all the tomatoes around here are canned in glass jars! No tin in those and jar lid is coated with some kind of stuff looks kinda like a paint of some kind but could be a metal. We use the tomatoes up before the lids start breaking down.
1581624063115.png

1581624108234.png

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Canned tomatoes in glass jars (preferably do it yourself) are better than cans. I don't like the tinny taste you get even before the expiry date. I have to buy the tomatoes for now. I'm not living at the lake house yet and the critters would just eat anything I planted.

For sauce, juice and paste, I use tomato powder reconstituted to the desired consistency and season to taste. It tastes amazingly fresh compared to canned. I also buy it in a jug or #10 can and re-package into pint canning jars using the vacuum sealer with an oxygen absorber and moisture absorber. A pint jar is the right size to have opened in the pantry for me. YMMV. Hubby can't believe how much fresher sauces taste when I use tomato powder instead of sauce or paste. There are also recipes to make your own ketchup, tomato juice, cocktail sauce etc. I prefer lower sodium so I really like this option.

hoarder

Dis Member
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Canned tomatoes in glass jars (preferably do it yourself) are better than cans. I don't like the tinny taste you get even before the expiry date.
Canned tomatoes are protected from contact with the metal can by a layer of BPA (Bisphenol A ), which leaches into the food to poison you.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
For 4 adults?.....you all could stay malnourished for about 3-5 months on those rations..

Better have some water too....

Most people could actually stop eating for a couple of months and be quite OK running on fat reserves!

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Most people could actually stop eating for a couple of months and be quite OK running on fat reserves!
I’ve posted this before, in another thread, but some dude from Scotland went 380 days without food. He was very obese to begin with, which was why he started fasting, desperate to lose weight. All he had was water and vitamin/mineral supplements and his doctors regular supervision. He got down to 180 pounds, I think, no bad side effects at all! Just fat loss and much improved health.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I’ve posted this before, in another thread, but some dude from Scotland went 380 days without food. He was very obese to begin with, which was why he started fasting, desperate to lose weight. All he had was water and vitamin/mineral supplements and his doctors regular supervision. He got down to 180 pounds, I think, no bad side effects at all! Just fat loss and much improved health.
I watched this documentary about 8 years ago or so; very eye-opening as to how the "food" we are eating these days is killing us;

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1227378/?ref_=tt_urv

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I watched this documentary about 8 years ago or so; very eye-opening as to how the "food" we are eating these days is killing us;
I love irony. On this page, the trailer preview window is maybe 1/10 of the screen. And at least half the page is devoted to M&M candies.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
When you peeps are fasting, how is being hungry dealt with?
I only fast from 12-24 hours, for the most part. Sometimes 2-3 days, but I have a hard time getting past 3 days. I get sick. One or two forum members have posted that the first three days are the hard part, then it gets easier. I might never know, because I get really nauseous.

Having said all the above, fasting for 12-24 hours and even up to 48 hours is pretty easy, for me. If you’re eating mostly meat and eggs and high quality fats, your body doesn’t get hungry in the same way as it usually would, when eating a lot of carbs. I think it has to do with being keto-adapted. In other words, your body is in a ketogenic state and is burning fat for fuel. I am not sure what is happening to me, though from 48 hours and beyond. Maybe I’ll just have to toughen up and go through the barrier sometime.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I think it’s entirely possible to be eating thousands of calories a day and still be starving for nutrition.
I agree. Over the years, I have come to believe that "hunger" is not necessarily for calories, but can often be a demand for a particular nutrient. And no amount of potato chips or sugar cookies will fill that need. For me, tomato juice or soup often does the trick.

GoldenPoet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Over the rainbow, at the end of the earth, on a di
Vlad, I think you could go about 4 months on the food you listed.
25 lbs biscuit mix
25 lbs maz torrtilla mix
25 Lbs dry pinto beans
1 large can sausage gravy
1 large can Enchilada sauce
3 packets of country gravy mix

I suggest you add some of the following (for flavor, variety and health)

Lentils - or alfalfa seeds to make sprouts for your homemade tacos.
Parmesan cheese lasts longer than other cheeses.
Canned Cheeses.
Rice - to make rice and beans with gravy.
Start growing Okra to make Jumbalaya
Powdered sugar to make donuts and some OIL, wheres your oil?
Dried potato flakes to make potatoes and gravy.
Grow some chiles to kick up the enchilada sauce.
Salt.
Some kind of dried meat. Jerky, machaca, salami.. etc

Hey where's your coffee and chocolate?

GoldenPoet

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Over the rainbow, at the end of the earth, on a di

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

Someone_else

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
For buying salt in bulk, you can find it at many stores (eg, Walmart) as pool salt. The price is generally around six dollars for a 40 pound bag. The Morton brand is very coarse, but works fine in a salt grinder or if you are adding it to soup. The Clorox brand is like regular table salt.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
For buying salt in bulk, you can find it at many stores (eg, Walmart) as pool salt. The price is generally around six dollars for a 40 pound bag. The Morton brand is very coarse, but works fine in a salt grinder or if you are adding it to soup. The Clorox brand is like regular table salt.
If you want a higher quality type of salt, like Himalayan Pink Salt, Amazon sells 2# bags for about $10. Terrasoul is $10 for 2.5# and Sherpa is $15 for 5#. More mineral content, better tasting (my opinion) and less contamination.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Easy. I do 30 when I get get to the top of my BMI and that doesn't take me to the bottom.
I would like to see my abs for just once in my life. 30 days might do it. I'll go ahead and cook for Sam. Wonder how it will work.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
I would like to see my abs for just once in my life. 30 days might do it. I'll go ahead and cook for Sam. Wonder how it will work.
That would be cool, but with my luck I would get really lean and my abs would start showing and just then, we would have an economic/social crisis and all the food would disappear off the grocery shelves. I have supplies, but would have no bodily reserves to count on. That would suck.

Son of Gloin

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Easy. I do 30 when I get get to the top of my BMI and that doesn't take me to the bottom.
No kidding!? You do that like regularly? Do you get really nauseous at about three days?