• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

How Much Change In A 5 Gallon Water Jug?

gonzo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have 2 five gallon water jugs that are full of random coins, this would include probably an equal amount of quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies. Everyday for the last several years I would take all the change in my pocket at the end of the day and throw it in them.

How much money do you think is in each jug, full, with an equal amount of random coins?

Has anyone here ever done this and cashed it in/counted it? I am curious what the amount is, I have no plans to cash them in at this time and will be starting on my 3rd jug tomorrow, but still I am curious what sort of number we are looking at, a quick google search says that a 5 gallon jug will hold 2500 dollars in coins if it includes quarters, dimes nickles and pennies. That seems like an awful lot, what do you all think?

Silver001

I filled a jug with random coins and my son cashed it in at a Food store coin star machine, the total for the one jug was $1240 USD

GoldWampum

Midas Member
Midas Member
WOW!! One ounce of gold.

gonzo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I filled a jug with random coins and my son cashed it in at a Food store coin star machine, the total for the one jug was $1240 USD
Thanks for that, thats very cool and shows that the pocket change sure adds up and well worth the effort to save it each day in one easy to get to spot.

GW---one ounce of gold indeed! Almost like a free ounce in some ways.

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I would guess $1500 per jug give er take some (distribution not being even).

EE_

WOW!! One ounce of gold.
You mean like you could hold the value of the whole 5 gallon jug in the palm of your hand, carry it with you, hide it if you need to, safely store it...it's beautiful and it goes up in value too!

Sounds like it might be a better way to store your money?

gonzo

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I would guess $1500 per jug give er take some (distribution not being even).
Yea I am seeing that number alot on google searches also, between 1300 and 1500 seems to be the consensus with most people on a google search, a few people saying they had upwards of 2500 per jug, which is certainly possible if it was quarter and I believe one of mine is as I made an effort to stash away a lot of quarters in that one.

honu5050

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
not much.... mines been the same shape for yrs.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
You want to know about change?

You got to ask 0bama....

5150female

Drunk on Unicorn blood
Gold Chaser
When I am in my supermarket, and I hear the Coinstar machine...my OCD kicks in like crazy! Oh I just want to pull that person off to the side and go through their change first! It's so maddening. Not worried about your Gonzo....but can you imagine the '64's that go through those everyday? The horror.........

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I'd say more like $600-$800 based on my coin prospecting and change dumping experience.

Saul Mine

Seeker
Seeker
$280 in pennies

I found that with Google. That was the only straight answer I found. I suspect it's the only straight answer that's possible. Since $280 in pennies weighs just under 200 pounds, I would be interested to know how one might get the coins out without breaking the glass.

GoldWampum

Midas Member
Midas Member
You mean like you could hold the value of the whole 5 gallon jug in the palm of your hand, carry it with you, hide it if you need to, safely store it...it's beautiful and it goes up in value too!

Sounds like it might be a better way to store your money?
I was thinking in terms of, that's a lot of weight in fake money that could be converted to an ounce of real money, yes.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
WOW!! One ounce of gold.
But he spent 4+ ounces of silver (at least where I am from). The coinstar machines around me charge a 7% fee. That comes out to $86 dollars in services fees. Hopefully he did not have to pay anythng like that.

I have a Sunny D one gallon jug that I use to keep change for the girls. We never let it get much over a quarter of the way full before we start wrapping. We usually hit $70 to $80 from the 1/4 filled jug.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Hell! Gonzo never gave us a number! Visiting my parents and they have three five gallon water jugs they want out of the house. We broke em down into manageable lots and combined weigh 521 lbs. I’ll tell you the total and processing issues soon.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hell! Gonzo never gave us a number! Visiting my parents and they have three five gallon water jugs they want out of the house. We broke em down into manageable lots and combined weigh 521 lbs. I’ll tell you the total and processing issues soon.
See if your bank has a free coin counting machine - you're looking at thousands of dollars with 521 lbs. I took a 3 gallon bucket of change to the bank and it was $800 something.

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
What a waste to pay coin star. Most banks have a coin counting machine.
Unless you're a commercial retail business, most banks these days charge a fee for the "privilege" of counting and depositing large amounts of coins. Not unlike Coinstar.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have a plastic tube made out of 4" PVC pipe. I cashed in a few weeks ago just for fun to see what it was worth. 637.00. Considerably smaller than a 5 gal jug.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
1 gallon juice jug really shaken down as solid as I could get it. $470 So you might be 2K +

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Why aint you sorting the pre 81 pennies and making copper ingots?
ILLEGAL
AND
IF you plan on doing that smelt them clear down to pure copper. Anything analyzed close to the 95% copper 5% zinc / tin can get you charged with destruction of government property.
:jail: Doing time over pennies :bang head:

kiffertom

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have 2 five gallon water jugs that are full of random coins, this would include probably an equal amount of quarters, dimes, nickles and pennies. Everyday for the last several years I would take all the change in my pocket at the end of the day and throw it in them.

How much money do you think is in each jug, full, with an equal amount of random coins?

Has anyone here ever done this and cashed it in/counted it? I am curious what the amount is, I have no plans to cash them in at this time and will be starting on my 3rd jug tomorrow, but still I am curious what sort of number we are looking at, a quick google search says that a 5 gallon jug will hold 2500 dollars in coins if it includes quarters, dimes nickles and pennies. That seems like an awful lot, what do you all think?
when i was a kid i remember on a sunday drive with my parents. going through a small country town and stopping at the general store. they had a big jar full of change and for a dime you got a chance to guess how much was in there. i found out later the guy had a baseball in the middle where you couldnt see it.(greedy P.O.S)

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
when i was a kid i remember on a sunday drive with my parents. going through a small country town and stopping at the general store. they had a big jar full of change and for a dime you got a chance to guess how much was in there. i found out later the guy had a baseball in the middle where you couldnt see it.(greedy P.O.S)
Same here, the hustler would have a coffee or a V8 can being surrounded by the change.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I did the math and guessed how many jelly beans were in a jar.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
150 pounds as in lbs. 5 gal bucket is 300 frn's.

edited to add: good luck getting them all papered up. or u can coin star and tith the jew or the lds freaks.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
That would be a good winter project during a three day blizzard. Rolling, rolling, rolling and then rolling some more while the flakes are blowing. Or you could sell 1,000 x $10 chances on them and get your money in electronic form without rolling. I'd buy a chance.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I asked dad if there might be any silver. “You can look but you’ll be disappointed.”
Sort of related...
Here is a new angle in the wanted adds, local craigslist.
A silver prospector is offering to come to your home, count your coin jar, pay face for that & "maybe even more for the old coins"
I have a notion this fella would be sorely disappointed if he came to any of our homes, right?
https://york.craigslist.org/wan/d/york-will-come-and-count-your-coin-jars/6934273927.html

MIavatar

Silver Miner
ILLEGAL
AND
IF you plan on doing that smelt them clear down to pure copper. Anything analyzed close to the 95% copper 5% zinc / tin can get you charged with destruction of government property.
:jail: Doing time over pennies :bang head:
I just see people selling those "Silver Quarter Rings".

They have been obviously defaced. I don't understand the difference, honest question. Wasn't thier a member here who was running a penny reclamation thing and they got shut down?

Last edited:

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I just see people selling those "Silver Quarter Rings
They have been obviously defaced. I don't understand the difference,
The difference is that once the coins are made into rings, they are no longer considered to be money.
The only way one could get into trouble with one, is if one attempted to pass it off as a coin. Ie:spend it.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I just see people selling those "Silver Quarter Rings".

They have been obviously defaced. I don't understand the difference, honest question. Wasn't thier a member here who was running a penny reclamation thing and they got shut down?
Yep, That is illegal too. BUT they could argue it an artistic use of the coins. Whether a Court would buy the arguement under Freedom of Speech rules ? IDK
Converting coinage into an industrial usage is much harder to defend.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yep, That is illegal too.
It may seem as though it is, but it is not illegal. Nor is it considered as defacement.
The only way it would be illegal, would be if you took it off and attempted to spend it as the coin it is made from.
in it's new form, it is no longer a piece of money.