• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

how to build a railbike

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
i just stumbled across this video about a couple old dudes riding through patagonia on these. hey scorpio how bout all of the abandoned rails out west? what a cool idea! the grade would be somewhat flat and easier to ride!

heres the vid of the guys riding through patagonia. the one that follows explains the railbike!

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
i just stumbled across this video about a couple old dudes riding through patagonia on these. hey scorpio how bout all of the abandoned rails out west? what a cool idea! the grade would be somewhat flat and easier to ride!

heres the vid of the guys riding through patagonia. the one that follows explains the railbike!

Hmmmm... so did I. The algo must have just got hold of it. I never knew it was a thing!

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
Hmmmm... so did I. The algo must have just got hold of it. I never knew it was a thing!
since i posted this ive been looking. they have been around since the '70's. just like you i never knew they existed. what a great idea!

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Those things are way cool and I've always wanted to have one, but ya gotta have somewhere it's ok to ride them. If the tracks are in use at all, sooner or later you'll just end up having to deal with a Bull and could very well be charged with trespassing. Likely would, as the railroads take that shit seriously these days. Someone posted not too long ago about getting a ticket for crossing somewhere other than a marked crossing.
...and all the truly abandoned rail I've seen has typically been in pretty bad shape. Ie:would give a slow rough ride with the possibility of frequent derail.

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
There would be no way I'd use anything that didn't have a throttle
It's a hell of a lot easier getting my cooler around with a small hp gas engine doing the work

gotta have a pic-a-nic once you get where you're going, or where the tracks end in the middle of nowhere

looks like fun

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
The first vid the tracks look unused... rusty... probably nothing runs on them...

I'd get an electric assist bike and use solar panels

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Got a kick out of the kids fishing on the bridge, how they just slid between the timbers & hunkered down for the bikes to pass.
Also at about the 19:00 mark at the ranch noticed the getto bars on the windows.

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
There would be no way I'd use anything that didn't have a throttle
It's a hell of a lot easier getting my cooler around with a small hp gas engine doing the work

gotta have a pic-a-nic once you get where you're going, or where the tracks end in the middle of nowhere

looks like fun

kiffertom

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
1560961939113.png

1560961961426.png

1560962020717.png

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
How to do it right.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

That's a pretty neat concept; I wouldn't dare try it here in America...your trip would last about an hour before a group of "teens" jumped out and killed you for your bike.

mtnman

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
That's a pretty neat concept; I wouldn't dare try it here in America...your trip would last about an hour before a group of "teens" jumped out and killed you for your bike.
Not in a "carry state"....