• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

How to win, against all odds

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
This is a personal story that I decided to share, mostly because of the terrible times that may be/are coming and to give a little hope to all.
First, I want to share one of my favorite little joke/stories that says so much about edjewkated morons.

HOTDOG RECESSION.JPG

At the expense of bragging, this is a real story of a "garage business" becoming a great success.
It was 1977 and I had just been terminated from Memorex for being a Mechanical Engineering Manager WITHOUT a degree. Memorex bought the business that I had designed the mechanical portion of, in Irvine, Ca. It was a beautiful disk memory device.
I was also, on the side, designing the very first cell phone case for Travel Phone International. I love multitasking.
I would love to show my 24x36 vellum drawing, but it went with the fire & many other design projects. :Grrr: cry:
With the sudden loss of income, I decided to stay home & make the phone cases myself, rather than finding a manufacturer & getting another job.
Jimmy "peanut brain" Carter was pres. (only one level above what we have today).
ALL my friends, family & professional contacts warned me not to go into business, with the state of the economy.
BUT I am quite the hardhead !! LOLOLOL I know, you would have NEVER guessed !!!
I started in my garage. Only 6 months later, I rented a 1,200 sq. ft. space in a business complex (lost those photo's too). I had an old vacuum form machine, an old small vertical mill, an old Logan lathe, a drill press & a router. I hired my alcoholic neighbor as a helper, as he was a nice guy, just screwed up on vodka. I got him to sober up. I am proud of that too.

My garage

CELL PHONE CASES 1978...jpg

My first customer

BROCHURE REDUCED.png

AND my desk shelf B. F. (before fire) showing the design history/progress.
BTW, Radio Shlock (Shack) copied my design & had injected molding's made in Japan. Their first cases were MY DESIGN - STOLEN !!!

reduced PHONE CASES.png

A close call with federal prison !!
The owner of Travel Phone, Bob Fretag, had asked me to come inside his building, with my equipment, to build his cases "in house"
I politely declined, stating that I wanted to be independent. WHAT A SMART MOVE !!

Come to find out, he was smuggling heroin back from India IN MY CASES !!! What would have happened to me as an "in house" fabricator of the smuggling devices ?
So, now I lost my original customer, as he went straight to federal prison

As luck would have it, I had a sales rep friend that hustled up some great accounts for me & I was off & running as a
job shop" machine shop. All of this to be in place as Ronnie Reagan took the reigns. Man, talk about being in the right place, at the right time !!! :finished:

Now, some of my past employers were coming to me, to make their parts THAT I HAD DESIGNED !!!
Life was good and getting better, as I became one of the first CNC machine shops in Calif. That was 1984 & Apple had just introduced the McIntosh, of which I bought 2 , 1 for the shop & one for the office. They were backups for each other.
I made human body replacement parts, I have parts on the moon & in space. Life was good & I retired in 1994 !!!

Just a stranger than strange story.
Travel Phone, my first customer, had moved into a bldg next to John Wayne Airport. Then 15 years later, Verifone, my last customer, was in that exact same bldg !!!
I made all their card reader stands that were in the stores at that time.

MORAL OF THE STORY - DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE, IF YOU THINK THAT "YOU CAN DO IT".
So, if you are young & adventurous, then don't let the shit of today stop you from taking a chance on yourself !
Remember a saying that I picked up from a boss, along my way.

If it's to be, it's up to ME !!! :finished::finished::finished:

edit:
I forgot a photo of my shop. This was just half of it plus there was an inspection room.

1635808281980.jpeg

1635808407703.jpeg

Attachments

• L M I.jpg
    L M I.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Taezzar, is that really YOUR story? Damn! I am a software guy, but have secretly admired the machinists.

And how is the machine area so clean? My work bench areas are generally, "clean when needed to continue."

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Taezzar, is that really YOUR story? Damn! I am a software guy, but have secretly admired the machinists.

And how is the machine area so clean? My work bench areas are generally, "clean when needed to continue."
YUP, that is 100% true. Due to extreme cleanliness, my workers comp claims were near zero & my rates were low.
I am open to all questions. :2 thumbs up::finished:

NOTE, my shop is always clean BUT my desk is a mess ! :2 thumbs up::finished::belly laugh::belly laugh::belly laugh:

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
No wonder a little fire didn't stop you. You are tough. There is no quit in you.
Did you ever take on something you wish you didn't?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
No wonder a little fire didn't stop you. You are tough. There is no quit in you.
Did you ever take on something you wish you didn't?
Ya, a beautiful Peruvian/Jew gold diggin bitch (scale of 1-10, she was a 12)!!!!!! :gracious: :belly laugh::belly laugh::belly laugh:
I can handle just about anything but women !!!

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
Great story and map props to you for your success. There’s no hard work and stress like starting and growing a small business.

Thx for posting this

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Great story and map props to you for your success. There’s no hard work and stress like starting and growing a small business.

Thx for posting this
When it hit 33 employees, it was no longer fun !! :tied up:me :troll:government :rotf::rotf::rotf::shit happens:

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Impressive history.

Reminds me of blogger Joe Sherlock, who also had it with corporate life (Rohm & Haas, a chemical company in Philadelphia, later bought out by DuPont) and purchased a storefront custom plastics firm, Discovery Plastics in Portland, Oregon.

He found his most-profitable market was store display cases for product, so that was what he focused on. Growth took off - in the mid-1970s.

And once Sherlock retired and sold the company, it imploded. Gone now. It was his vision and hard work that made it work.

I can admire, but not relate. All I was good for was driving trains...

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
<iframe width="972" height="711" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Survivor
Reaction score
Taez,
Totally impressive story, no wonder you have fought through so much so well!

As a young boy, I would occasionally go to work with my dad and sneak in my grandfather's office. He, much like you was a hard headed, determined entrepreneur in the field of electric radiant heat. Started in a garage and was 350k under water in 1958, facing bankruptcy, when he convinced Norfolk Southern to buy his first rail car thaw shed. That allowed him to expand into other more profitable areas and saved the company.

In days long gone, there used to be a label maker, hand punch style, with a rotating head that you squeezed to imprint each letter. When I would sneak in gramps office and climb in his chair, on the back of his black pen holder was a label he had punched and stuck for his viewing only...

If it's to be, it's up to me

Thanks for that reminder, you made my day...

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Taez,

As a young boy, I would occasionally go to work with my dad and sneak in my grandfather's office. He, much like you was a hard headed, determined entrepreneur in the field of electric radiant heat. Started in a garage and was 350k under water in 1958, facing bankruptcy, when he convinced Norfolk Southern to buy his first rail car thaw shed. That allowed him to expand into other more profitable areas and saved the company.

In days long gone, there used to be a label maker, hand punch style, with a rotating head that you squeezed to imprint each letter. When I would sneak in gramps office and climb in his chair, on the back of his black pen holder was a label he had punched and stuck for his viewing only...

I had fun with pop's hand operated check numerator. Cut millions of dollars with that.

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
<iframe width="972" height="711" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I miss Walter Brennan

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Is that your alcoholic neighbor in the center picture?

Great story.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Taez,

BE, that gave me goose bumps !!!:2 thumbs up::finished::finished::finished:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score

Someone_, I could never grasp what you guys do. 1's & 0's never "jelled" in my mind. I always thought that it took a special kind of person to do software. :dduck: :dduck: :dduck:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Survivor
Reaction score
Is that your alcoholic neighbor in the center picture?

Great story.
No, that was my "Croatian" Q.C. guy, he was really good & he had a great accent. :2 thumbs up:
I don't have a pic of my neighbor, sorry.