• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

How to zero scoped rifle for 100 yards at 50 yard range?

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I am assuming that I would want the bullet to strike low by 1/2 the distance between the bore line and scope sight line.

In my case the difference is about 1.5in, so would I calibrate at -.75in on a 50 yard target to have zero at 100? Or is it more of an arch where I would want to be -.5in at 50?

Rifle is TC Icon .243, ammo is handload with Hornady 100gr Interlock BTSP.

Tomorrow morning is gun opener in Wisconsin!

(I know, I know... I'm splitting hairs over something that only requires fist size accuracy. I don't expect to take a shot more than 150 yards.)

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
When I zero any of my scopes I do the following.

Start with the rifle by checking zero with a laser (caliber specific) at 25 yards.
Once that is done, I take the rifle to the range and see where it hits AT 25 yards.
Once I get it where I think it will hit and have hits where I want at 25 yards.
Once I get hole on paper where I think it should hit at 25 yards.
I move the target out to 100 yards.
Repeat the whole process at 100 yards.

ONCE you get hits where you want, then you are either done because you have your charts that you can adjust the settings to hit at any range.

OR take targets out to ... 150, 200, 300, 500, 1000 yard range and repeat.

Then you are done.

Getting your rifle hitting paper at 100 yards should not take more than half a day at the range (after you use your laser first at home).

There are several aids that can come in handy - sand bags of varying sizes, bipod for your rifle, a rifle stand/vise stand...

The older you get, the more 'cheats' you know about.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Take a 3x3 sheet of cardboard (tape target to it)and at 25 yards take a shot. You should be on paper. Adjust windage (assuming 1 click=1/4 in at 100, you will need 16 clicks to move 1"). Do the same with elevation (but know that 16 clicks is not as accurate for elevation). Take one more shot at 25 yards and you should be on the target in a close to zero position. Move out to 50 and take a confirmation shot. If close go to 100 and fine tune. Once you are happy with a 3 shot group go back to 50 and see where you are at. If you are shooting 1moa or less at 100 yards then with .243win it should be point and shoot out to 150 yds in a deer hunting situation. Don't stress a 50 yard zero.