• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hubble Legacy Field

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
So the stars aren't other 'Suns'.....they're other mutha fukin' galaxies! Too many lies out there to take this as gospel like I used to but its an interesting thing to ponder if true!

Buck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
So the stars aren't other 'Suns'.....they're other mutha fukin' galaxies! Too many lies out there to take this as gospel like I used to but its an interesting thing to ponder if true!
Uhh, think about where those galaxy's light comes from.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Whats faster, speed of light or speed of darkness? Theoretically it must be speed of darkness or the entire sky would be illuminated! As for the night lights in the sky, light could very well be merely refracted & reflected. IOW most of the lights in the sky could be generated by just a few thousand stars or galaxies, their light is just reflected.

"Light and Astronomy"

https://www.thoughtco.com/light-and-astronomy-3072088

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
a few thousand stars or galaxies
Wait, wait, don't you think that with photos of 200,000 stars, galaxies, whatever that the have, that they might just notice that it was just a mosaic of a thousand stars duplicated over and over?

But anyhow you bring up a point that I have always wondered about: If the sky is filled with an infinity of stars why do we see any darkness out there at all?

And about cold, hammerhead, there is no cold, only heat. Cold is just the absence of heat.

BF

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
But anyhow you bring up a point that I have always wondered about: If the sky is filled with an infinity of stars why do we see any darkness out there at all?
It's due to the inverse square law. Most Stars are so distant that by the time their light reaches us, their light has become so spread out that there isn't enough photons in the area of your pupil to register anything. Therefore all we will see in that spot of space is darkness.

That's why as objective lens get bigger on various telescopes, they can collect more photons from a larger area (more Stars become visible) and focus those photons into an area the size of your pupil so that you can see them.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
That surprised my too when I first learned of it. NOT stars, GALAXIES !!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
As Johnny Carson would have put it, "It 's sooooooo cold, subatomic particles don't move."

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It's due to the inverse square law.
Now think that thru, joe, don't just follow the dogma.
Infinity of stars.
Photons don't fade, they spread out.
The ones on the left spread right.
The ones on the right spread left.
Top ones, bottom ones, east ones, south ones, ect, ect. So all the photons spread out, they don't fade out.
So where do they go?

Maybe the light from the 'black parts' is from stars so far away that the light from them haven't reached us yet.

BF

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Shootie -- The only galaxy visible with the naked eye is Andromeda. It is a fuzzy purple blur. All the "stars" you can see -- all of them -- are either planets in our solar system, or stars way the hell out there. No galaxies.

Here's how you can spot M-31 galaxy (Andromeda):

But when they got the Hubble pointed at an "empty" section of space... the Legacy Field is what resulted. Dang, there's a lotta stuff up there.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
And to be clear, the light from those "galaxies" and "planets" are coming from......you guessed it! STARS or SUNS in those solar systems.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Now think that thru, joe, don't just follow the dogma.
Infinity of stars.
Photons don't fade, they spread out.
The ones on the left spread right.
The ones on the right spread left.
Top ones, bottom ones, east ones, south ones, ect, ect. So all the photons spread out, they don't fade out.
So where do they go?
I have thought it through. Are you trying to say that the inverse square law isn't real? Or that combined photons from several sources will allow you to see stuff that isn't actually there?

Multiple photons from Stars too distant to see will not allow you to see light that appears to be coming from between the stars.
....and this whole question sheds light on the fact that the Stars are incredible distances away.

Also, the photons don't "go" anywhere. They just keep moving in a straight line from their point source. For you to be able to see an object, enough photons from the object that emitted them must enter your eye. However, if by the time those photons get to you, they are so spread out that not enough of them are still close enough together to enter your eye, you will not be able to detect that object. That's where larger lenses come in to capture more of them.

It takes a minimum of 9 photons falling onto our retina's in order for our eyes to detect that there's any light there at all.