• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Hurricane Dorian Tracking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
ohhh please already,

all you ladies getting all worked up about a bit of rain and wind,

good grief man, get a grip,

back when I was a kid, cows could fly and horses could run with the wind...............

but BB did tell me the secret to all of this these days,

it is about the money, and all about the money

that is why you don't get accurate intel, everyone across the whole eastern seaboard is supposed to spend their fiat preparing and overpaying for shit they don't need
That about sums it up....

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
hey all you old f@#'s down in floreda,
while I make light of it,
here is hoping you clowns make it thru the blow,
too damn hard to register up new members to replace your a$$es,
so hang in there and keep us posted when your cooler gets broken by a flyin' dog or something

regardless, this song sums it up quite well

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
As I type, Fox Newzzzzzzzzzzz TV is interviewing that well-known hurricane prep expert JOE NAMATH!

Un-believable.
CNN interviewed an Orlando native and Disney Parks blogger about how safe WDW is during a hurricane...

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
What is sad are all the people on Social Media wishing for Dorain to destroy Mar-A-Lago...not giving a care about all the other people (who can't afford to rebuild) who may lose their homes if a Cat-4 comes ashore down there. The coastal people are rich...the ones inland 10 miles (around Lake Okechobee) literally have next to nothing.

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
too damn hard to register up new members to replace your {over-the-hill} a$$es,
What are all these Florida gals worried about? If I remember correctly, last hurricane one of our Florida members lost a lawn chair?

Gettin back to old f#%ts, The Rolling Stones just played the last gig of their 'No Filter' 2-year tour in Miami, Florida last night:

(Their final bow at the end of this clip--and very could well be THEIR FINAL BOW as they would be in their early 80s for another go round- was in the open Miami stadium last night that started pouring rain right on que while Mick was singing:

Oh, a storm is threat'ning
My very life today
If I don't get some shelter

Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away
So you think you can replace our era with millennials and their shitty music? good luck w/that. I already believe there are too many 'youngsters' and people freaking over nothing here to make more than the occasional visit.

(And after just reading about Stalin's Soviet Russia, I really don't feel sorry for anyone whining in this country today)

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Oh yeah, right after hurricanes, treasure hunting is supposed to be be good and...

Hystckndle

GETWHAT'SYOURS
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Yeah, a little wind
128383930.jpg.resize.710x399.jpg

A little water
camille-damage.jpg

camille-ships.jpg

And a little geographical proximity makes a big dif.

Camille_memorial.png

Yeah, maybe a bit of arm waving. Media hype and all.
And you declare SOE and " boom " unleash some fiat.
Etc etc etc.
Hear all of that.

But more than 72 hours out.
Like stated above ...and the models show....." crap shoot "
And no one can know. Technology and all, they follow it somewhat
JUST LIKE
The FED follows the real economy.
It is Mother Nature

IMHO...
TODAYS' information, even though it may perhaps be tainted,
is better than a " surprise ".
Learned that over the years since age 8 in South Mississippi when dad took me to see 2 of the above sights.
50 years ago and 10 days.
Andrew the other one.
And the above tombstone...long way from the coast of Mississippi where near 200 died.
Others, Charlie 2004, Irma, 2017...only cost me about 10 grand each...compared to other folks , Houston and then Mexico Beach and even Katrina
and a few years ago Wilmington.....I figure that is light.
Spin off tornados here at my and not the 8lb per gallon water problemos.

Over all,
ALL good,
Coupla restless nights.
Better than seeing all of the above again.
Better than a LOT of stuff.
And " life " goes on.
Regards to all,
Back a little later.
Haystack

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
As I type, Fox Newzzzzzzzzzzz TV is interviewing that well-known hurricane prep expert JOE NAMATH!

Un-believable.
Anything for ratings eh'? Relevance be damned.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It just started raining here at 6pm Saturday. I also have a condo on the ocean by the jetty in Ft. Pierce. And we just boarded up another rental home. Got lots riding on this one.

If anybody needs to stay on the beach after this blows thru just let me know.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
We went thru back-to-back hurricanes in 2005 and the power plants did fine. They are right on the west side of A1A which is the coastal road. I lost power for two weeks then and my mom is still looking for her screened patio.

I think some will lose power this time, but I am on a hospital grid, so am confident we will skate with ac like we did in Irma. We only lost internet for 3 days.

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

What are all these Florida gals worried about? If I remember correctly, last hurricane one of our Florida members lost a lawn chair?

Gettin back to old f#%ts, The Rolling Stones just played the last gig of their 'No Filter' 2-year tour in Miami, Florida last night:

(Their final bow at the end of this clip--and very could well be THEIR FINAL BOW as they would be in their early 80s for another go round- was in the open Miami stadium last night that started pouring rain right on que while Mick was singing:

My very life today

So you think you can replace our era with millennials and their shitty music? good luck w/that. I already believe there are too many 'youngsters' and people freaking over nothing here to make more than the occasional visit.

(And after just reading about Stalin's Soviet Russia, I really don't feel sorry for anyone whining in this country today)

I take it you are going down to Florida today to show them how a real man handles Cat 4 hurricanes.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Dorian an Extreme Hurricane - Remains a Threat to Southeast US

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Imagine being on the flight crew that flies into one of these....!!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

My very life today

as much as i like the (florida farts) on this forum ( :) ) .....i also remember when we are getting snow and ice how they post pictures of sun n fun and make fun of us (midwestern crochity ole dawgs) .... so while i wish you guys well...and if you need something call.....its kinda like snow and tornados here.....part of the territory...

if i lived down there i would probably build a concrete house on concrete pilings (above storm surges and above global warming :) )

in all seriousness.....be safe....test your generators...and get your water filters out.....let us know when your in the clear

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I have been to both extremes:

Miserable, UNENDING deadly cold (living in a trailer on a mountaintop) with the electrical power off, and the diesel fuel in the oil burner tank thickened and unusable. Snowed in 900 feet from an unplowed road, and huddled in the kitchen of the trailer with wife & two boys with the gas stove on full blast. Screw the oxygen-depletion... we needed warmth. Your breath made white fog...

Pain inna ass heat (not deadly, but really mizzable) with the electrical power off, and the wind blowing like a tire inflator cut loose in your face (because you went out in the storm to really get the "feel" of the energy involved, with trees breaking in half, and falling down all over the place.

Cold is death. Heat... meh.

I look at it thisaway: Hurricane blowing, and I go outside in the lee of the house and lay down on the lawn stark nekkid and look up a the sky going past at over 100MPH. Fascinating. And LOUD. But quite comfortable.

Versus: I go outside on the mountaintop at -20, and lay down on the six feet of ice and snow in the ripping mountain wind... and DIE in 20 fargin minutes. (I remember a ten-day period when the temperature never reached all the way up to ZERO.)

For dang sure, it is important in Floriduh to have a house built to post-Andrew specs... unlike the piss-poor, Yankee-style construction of Homestead, Floriduh houses like these -- BTW: WHERE WOULD YOU GO WHILE ALL THIS WAS HAPPENING??? Jeez. Climb UNDER some rubble and hold on???

homestead.jpg

Given the new concrete/rebar houses with the steel-instead-of-wood framing... Have not had the slightest damage. YAY.
I will take the warmth every time. :don't know::blond::dog:

You guys gotta remember: I have a Black Belt in "Cold Afraider-Of".

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
as much as i like the (florida farts) on this forum ( :) ) .....i also remember when we are getting snow and ice how they post pictures of sun n fun and make fun of us (midwestern crochity ole dawgs) .... so while i wish you guys well...and if you need something call.....its kinda like snow and tornados here.....part of the territory...

if i lived down there i would probably build a concrete house on concrete pilings (above storm surges and above global warming :) )

in all seriousness.....be safe....test your generators...and get your water filters out.....let us know when your in the clear
The houses we framed when I started out in the early 80's were on wood 8x8 pilings. Metal connectors at the seat of the truss to the wall. Some strapping over headers.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

florida-winter-shoveling-the-struggle-is-real-mematicine-23719173.png

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Here's an On-The-Scene update from your Reporter At Large:

I just came in from outside. It is a screamingly perfect, beautiful day. Not a hint of a breeze, coupla puffy white clouds here and there (when I went out early early, the stars were shining all over the sky).

Perfect weather for going sailing. :bomb::countdown::dynamite::don't    know2:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
more Florida "Winter" Cleaning:
1567347414237.png
1567347498639.png

Jus' Sayin'

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Live cam from Bahamas

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Fatrat

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
24 hours of that stuff? No thanks....

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
they are pouring the hype on this one. is it true?

remember a few years ago they did same for a storm that hit mexico. the damage was nowhere near what was expected/predictted

their lies exposed

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
they are pouring the hype on this one. is it true?

remember a few years ago they did same for a storm that hit mexico. the damage was nowhere near what was expected/predictted

their lies exposed
They've been hyping hurricanes for a couple decades now. I don't remember see-saw tracks and needless evacuations as a kid or young adult...people stayed, hunkered down or went to a shelter.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The thought just occurred to me while watching the predicted track of this storm. Many models having it sweep up across all the coastal cites and towns, from West Palm Beach all the way up to Norfolk VA!! The cost and losses as a result of this storm's destruction when all is said and done, will be so broad and massive it will cripple the country. This storm is already being set up as the back breaker of the Trump economy.

At least that's one scenario....the path of this storm seems strangely coincidental in that it's the path which inflicts maximum death and destruction over a maximum area. The storm will remain too far off shore to lose its strength yet cause a massive swatch of destruction inland as it travels all the way up and parallel to the country's entire southeastern coast like a battering ram!

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Live cam from Bahamas

Crikey!!! I know EXACTLY where that camera is! (No big thing; Marsh Harbor is not as big as Wal-Mart.)

I wrote a magazine article about our adventures there... I wonder if I can find it.

Stand by awhile, OK?

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You're shit outa luck! Hoohah. I found it watch the video above later. This is what it is supposed to be like:

Following Bahamian Rules Can Be Hard

© Walt C. Snedeker

Your Humble Obedient has just returned from an exciting holiday in the Bahamas. I hope I recover soon. Dr. Scooter, Pucky, Carol, and the Fabled PC made up the rest of our quintet.

We make up a perfect team for vacationing. Each of us have strengths, and therefore responsibilities, that have been irrevocably appointed by Nature.

Dr. Scooter (a.k.a. “My-Son-The-Doctor” ß always spoken as a single word) is along to put the busted pieces of his old man back together, and to find things.

Carol (my adorable daughter-in-law), makes perfect Islamorada Coladas -- an absolute necessity in the tropics.

Pucky fulfills his duties as my number-two son by willingly bashing on with whatever foolishness I have proposed for the day.

And of course, the Fabled PC is along to make sure everything runs smoothly. We have no difficulty when my fiery redhead is about; she can intimidate Internal Revenue agents.

But they have new rules about catching lobsters in the Bahamas. The rules, I believe, were concocted by demented US Navy SEALs. They are as simple as they are difficult to obey.

1.You must be more than 400 yards from shore before you can catch any.
2.You cannot use any scuba equipment.

Sounds simple, right? So here’s what happened:

I awoke early one fine morning to at our glorious rental mansion in Marsh Harbor (where the highways are for golf carts) and gazed out the window at the calm ocean caressing the beach. Oh, boy! I’ll be able to nip out, catch a couple of bugs before the rest of the gang stirs, and be back in time for breakfast. What a great idea!

Frequently my ideas outpace my physique.

Down I go to the beach with my Hawaiian sling and snorkeling gear.

Being a law-abiding sod, I begin swimming out the requisite quarter-mile or so.

Just to be on the safe side, I added a couple hundred more yards, to about 600 before I thought of sharks.

So I didn’t think about them. Any more. At all.

I looked down at the rocky coral below. Hm. Interesting. Pretty deep, though. Oh, tra-la... in for a penny.

With the biggest airgulp I could manage, I nipped a surface dive and headed for the bottom. My wrist gauge said 28 feet as I peered under the ledge.

WOW!

Lobzilla was sitting there, staring at me! But I was out of air. A dozen strokes, and I reach the surface, panting and excited.

You only get one really good breath-holding shot (ever try to hold your breath successive times?)

Down for another look, to see if he is in any kind of a position that I could shoot him. Yup! Ohboyoboy!

Back up again. Panting and puffing, I prepared my loins as it were, and dove again -- this time ready to shoot the Pineapple sling as soon as I spotted the beast again. Did so. HOOHAH!! The shot well and truly struck home. Back up way up) to the surface. Pant Pant Pant Snork Pant Pant Wheeze Pant...

Back down: the doggone bug was dragging my six-foot stainless-steel spear back out of sight under the ledge. Reach in. Got the very end of the spear. Oh, Jiminy, pullpullpull... aha! He came free! But I can’t get him all the way out from under the ledge with the air I got left.

Back up (way way up). Pant pant, etc... Really feeling beat up, now. And look! The cotton-pickin’ bug is pulling my spear back under the ledge again. I’ll kill him, so help me I will!! Of course, that’s what I was trying to do anyway, so I guess the threat was moot.

Back down again. Grab the spear. Look at the bug on the end. He’s enormous. But... Omigawd! His great granddaddy is coming out of the hole behind him -- curious as to what all the hubbub is about. He’s twice as big as Lobzilla! Back up (way... etc.). Pant Wheeze Wheeze Pant Wheeze Wheeze etc...).

Scrape the bug off the spear into the bag tied to my waist. Pant a hundred pants in a hurry. The Father Of All Lobsters is visible even from the surface, looking around interestedly.

Ignore the sharp pains in my heart from the myocardial infarction, ignore the numbness to the left side of my face from the stroke, ignore the tunnel vision from anoxia... down again, quick as a duck. Only a split instant to draw back the heavy rubber sling and shoot in the general direction of the monster.

Lookit! Lookit! Drilled the sucka! Heading back up, admiring how everything has gone so silent, and all the dark spots in front of my vision have prettily joined together to form a velvet night of calmness.

Air.

Oh, my, it’s wonderful stuff. Look down. The spear is gone. But I know where it must be. Big Guy has dragged it back into his lair. Meanwhile, the big bug in the bag (hey! alliteration) has gashed my leg in a dozen places. I steadfastly do not think of sharks. Sure.

Back down. Ignore the drag of the now-heavy bag tied to my waist. Look under the ledge. Can just reach the end of the spear if I sort of stretch under the ledge. Pull. Unh. Pull harder. Unh, Unh. Did it give a little, or did my arm stretch? Not sure. Back up -- the bag slows me down immensely on my endless trek up to the surface. The spots merge together at the halfway-up point this time.

Can’t remember getting back up, but here I am. Wheeze Wheeze Wheeze... I’m all out of pants. Back down. Now I see the problem. The big beast has wedged himself in the rocks sideways, and is holding on to them out of a truly thoughtless and monumental perversity. Pull hard on the spear. No joy. Might as well be trying for Excalibur. Back up. Oh, Lordy, hurry]!

OK. We now make a deal. We get him this time or stay down there with him. I am now out of wheezes. Back down. Grab the spear. Pull once, twice, three times... four times. Have to go up NOW.

No! Darn if I will. Pull with everything for the last, last time. The heavy steel wing breaks off the spear, and it comes free. Back up to the surface. The bug stays down there.

Now all I have to do is swim three quarters of a mile back to shore (uphill, too!), and have breakfast.

I tellya, vacations can be rough!

I’m going out to the Rocky Mountains (Colorado) to hunt elk next month. Maybe I can successfully perish from altitude sickness... I wonder if their game laws are as dangerous to obey as the Bahamians’?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last year right before a hurricane down yonder someone here posted a pictures of a whole house tarp protection with giant ratchet straps. Can't find a pic ATM.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Status
Not open for further replies.