• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Hypnic jerk

BarnacleBob

Exoriare aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor
Founding Member
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Hypnic jerk:

A hypnic jerk, hypnagogic jerk, sleep start, sleep twitch, myoclonic jerk, or night start is a brief and sudden involuntary contraction of the muscles of the body which occurs when a person is beginning to fall asleep, often causing the person to jump and awaken suddenly for a moment. Hypnic jerks are one form of involuntary muscle twitches called myoclonus. Physically, hypnic jerks resemble the "jump" experienced by a person when startled, sometimes accompanied by a falling sensation. Hypnic jerks are associated with a rapid heartbeat, quickened breathing, sweat, and sometimes "a peculiar sensory feeling of 'shock' or 'falling into the void'". It can also be accompanied by a vivid dream experience or hallucination. A higher occurrence is reported in people with irregular sleep schedules. Men have also been known to experience this at a higher rate than women. Moreover, when particularly frequent and severe, hypnic jerks have been reported as a cause of sleep-onset insomnia.Wikipedia

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s happened to me. I didn’t know it had a name.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
That excuse has been used for me being hit while laying next to someone. I never believed it.