• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

I didn't realize the water "repairs" in Flint, MI were such a corrupt fiasco...

Thecrensh

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/05/flint-lead-pipe-replacement/

Flint Gave Contract To Firm With Allegedly No Pipe Replacement Experience, Dug Up Non-Lead Pipes
  • Flint, Michigan, steered $22 million in water crisis aid to a firm with no experience that is using slow and expensive methods to dig holes in order to replace lead water pipes, a city council member alleged.
  • The city banned an effective method of digging holes, putting the company on an even playing field with other bidders, according to a political activist.
  • The mayor’s chief adviser demanded that the company be given more work, despite having a backlog.
The company Flint, Michigan, hired to replace lead water pipes had no experience with the work, according to a councilwoman and a contractor, despite that the city has received more than $600 million in state and federal aid for its water crisis.

And the city ignored a model showing where lead pipes are and paid to dig up every yard, the vast majority of which had copper pipes, according to meeting minutes.

The city also prohibited contractors from using an efficient method of digging holes known as hydrovac excavation, Flint Councilwoman Eva Worthing told The Daily Caller News Foundation. That leveled the playing field for a contractor, WT Stevens, with no experience or the appropriate equipment — and let it bill far more to taxpayers, she says. All of these factors, she adds, needlessly led to more waiting for anyone who actually has lead pipes.

Huge amounts of aid dollars — including $100 million from the Environmental Protection Agency — have flowed to the small city of 90,000 residents to address lead in its water supply, even though it doesn’t have a chief financial officer and, until recently, its finance chair was a gun felon.

The federal money “should be a good thing for the city,” Worthing told TheDCNF, “but given the mismanagement of the pipe replacement program, I am concerned that it’s not going to get used properly.”

The city “chose to dig up yards that they knew were copper, and they decided to hand dig instead of hydrovac,” Worthing told TheDCNF. “That was because WT Stevens didn’t have the ability, and you get more money [digging by hand]. It costs $250 [to hydrovac] versus thousands” to dig a large hole without the equipment.

No Experience

Mayor Karen Weaver and Councilman Eric Mays have frequently lauded WT Stevens as key to the lead-pipe replacement efforts. The contractor is a general construction company, and its rudimentary website shows a picture of a home being built.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
One wonders what politician WT Stevens kicked back money for the honor of being 'selected'....

Typical affirmative action at work...

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Flint won't be the last city to deal with lead water pipes. In fact there are few cities without lead water pipes, and probably no cities without lead water pipes that are older than about 70 years old. Normally the water pipes scale over to isolate the lead and keep it from leaching into the water. In Flint they changed the water supply then cut corners on adding chemical additives to the water which then removed the protective scale. But as usual, it's all blown way-waayy out of proportion.

ABC123

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
WHISTLEBLOWER: FLINT MAYOR Diverted Contributions For Clean Water To Campaign Fund. On top of letting minority contractors blow the whole project and all the funds. After all the kveetching about flint and Muh Water Supply fo black Pepo

https://100percentfedup.com/whistleblower-flint-mayor-diverted-contributions-for-clean-water-to-campaign-fund/

a different anon posted, reposting here, looks notable to me

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Home I grew up in had lead pipes as did all the old homes in area, south side of pittsburgh, didnt read about anyone suffering due to the lead pipes, im 68+ , any real proof that lead causes the damage they say it does, perhaps its the chemicals they add to the water.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Home I grew up in had lead pipes as did all the old homes in area, south side of pittsburgh, didnt read about anyone suffering due to the lead pipes, im 68+ , any real proof that lead causes the damage they say it does, perhaps its the chemicals they add to the water.
Go check things there. One thing I know in my location years ago I would assume there were no pharmaceutical or chemicals like Monsanto's Lasso in the water pipes...perhaps lead, while toxic, is taking more than its fair share of blame on this one.

EWG's Tap Water Database
Since 2010, water utilities' testing has found pollutants in Americans' tap water, according to an EWG drinking water quality analysis of 30 million state water records.

or find your stateadvanced search

https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/