• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

I have a vacation home now

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We just finished the build on a custom 3 bed 2 bath house in my wife's Thailand village, it's a 3 building complex now with a 1 bed 1 bath guesthouse and a large open air kitchen with living area and another bathroom. we usually go back every year, will be going for 2 months in November/December and one day I want to live there. We're All in for around 75k-80k And my wife's bank just appraised it at $120k for an insurance policy.

hammerhead

Not just a screen name
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Very nice, guns. What's keeping you from moving right in?

Got that multiple dimension flooring going on or maybe it's just how it looks in the picture.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The stone facade is nice. Does it get hot there? The a/c is all wall units which is probably customary. Looks like a metal roof and double-pane windows which are energy efficient. Where's the swimming pool?

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Very nice, guns. What's keeping you from moving right in?

Got that multiple dimension flooring going on or maybe it's just how it looks in the picture.
My mom is getting up in age here in the states and I can't go now. It might look multidimensional because it steps up to walk into the house and my wife designed the roofline to give it a more dimensional look.

She did a great job with the design, all her ideas came from pictures online. We could have built for maybe around $50k or 60k but went with top shelf material

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The stone facade is nice. Does it get hot there? The a/c is all wall units which is probably customary. Looks like a metal roof and double-pane windows which are energy efficient. Where's the swimming pool?

Yeah it gets Africa hot there, not enough room for a swimming pool, we pretty much shoe horned everything in

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
More pics please!

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Close to a river, 4 hours from Bangkok and the ocean

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Great Job! I am a big fan of having a getaway house.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The shitter in the shower is genius. Can't tell ya how many times if need to blow out mid wash/shampoo....lol
Just let go in the shower and stomp it down through the drain grate with your foot. I didn't see any trim rings on the plumbing.

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
That's how they do their bathrooms there and it's pretty genius, no need to wash the shower door and efficiency doesn't get any better than those on demand water heaters. When you go to the city and use the public restroom you better be prepared to squat and drop, and don't forget your own toilet paper, their squat and drops are accompanied by a 50 gallon drum of water for your cleanup

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Good for you relax and enjoy, Id sell the house and move to the mountains myself but the wife wont go along with it due to the kids and grandkids.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Seems like your money goes a long way there! How's the safety/security out there? Do your you feel
like a target?

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It's really safe in my wife's village, it's maybe a population of 10k at the most, it can be a little dangerous in Bangkok, lots of corruption there.

You can live like an absolute king there for $800 a month, meals are $1, nice motels are $15 a night, you can get an apt for $200-$300/mo

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Man guns, I'm jealous. My wife's family live in Saigon and I've thought often about building a house in the countryside. But wifey says no, we have to live close to her sisters. And that would mean in-the-city where the houses are built shoulder to shoulder — something I don't appreciate (among other city life crap).

The way you designed the kitchen is pretty cool. I was wondering if you rent the house out or is it otherwise occupied while you're still here in the states?

BF

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The house is occupied by the in laws, guest room is only used when they have a visitor.

In Thailand there is what's called "sin sod" where the
Groom gives money to the parents and even though my wife has a son and had been married before I gave this gift because I was able to, also on the premise that we actually own it ourselves even though in laws occupy it now, the title is in my wife's name and they are aging themselves

I didn't realize it would be valued as high as it is, she has an appt with another insurance company this week and I'm awaiting their appraisal. The contractor crew literally put it all together for $18k in labor

97guns

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The house is 1400 sq ft, guest house is 900 sq ft and the kitchen is around 1200 sq ft