• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

I think I would like a waterproof metal detector

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I have owned a Minelab X-Terra 705 for years and years. Good machine, but I can't get it wet. I live in gold country and a historic gold river is one of my property lines. At one time, there were more than 40 gold and silver mines within walking distance of my property. I've done some panning and got flour after a lot of work, but I would really like to get in the river when the water is low and look for honey holes. The Garrett AT-Gold looks like it might be what I am looking for.

Does anyone here have any advice or recommendation into this decision? Not looking to get rich, just looking to have fun.

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Not familiar with that model, but I will look into it. You feel that it is better suited for river usage?

ToBeSelfEvident

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
1659810745166.jpeg

Ebie

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Amazon reviews are dependable.
(Use common sense, to detect planted reviews.)

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Is this a real photo?

Absolutely. Just as this one is a real photo. I know that it is a real photo because I took it myself. :laughing:

gold2.jpg

CiscoKid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
On the tailgate of my pickup truck. The truck was sitting in front of one of my barns at the time. The gravel came from my driveway and the gold metallic paint came from the local hardware store. :belly laugh:

gold4.jpg

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Not familiar with that model, but I will look into it. You feel that it is better suited for river usage?

Equinox 800 is much much faster than archaic 705.
Faster by a mile than my E-Trac.
Reads under and overlapping targets similarly to XP Deus which costs 3X if not more and is not waterproof.
Only waterproof to 10' however, but far le$$ than scuba dive detector from Minelab.
Which has not been updated since Cousteau invented the dive gear... to recover Titanic and Noah's Arc.
I have one, like some of it, and wish it was more programmable.
But hey, buy a package for $900 and need nothing more.
Remote headset great... not waterproof though. Plug in good too.
Much less weight and balanced better than E-Trac.
Built in batteries work well. I bought after market attachable battery pack which keeps factory unit loaded though.
Still love the E-Trac with attached, tone/signal the same pin pointer.

I'd watch a few YouTube vids of similar gold diggers running the 800 in similar terrain first.
So many new units with less cost and great targeting out there.
Other than dropped jewelry, there is no damn gold here where I live.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
AT Gold would be fine for river detecting small nuggets, as long as you run it wide open with no target discrimination. It's a proven rugged machine that is fully submersible to 9 feet. Price is good for a AT Gold package and it comes with a small DD coil. Big coils are useless for what you want to do. The equinox 800 is a good machine but there are no small coils for it and the learning curve is pretty steep. The minelab I would recommend would be the Gold monster 1000 but it's not waterproof.

Seeing as you will be scooping up every flake of rusted iron, split shot and shotgun pellet your biggest problem will be working out some kind of floating sifter you can dump your target and it's surrounding dirt onto to find your target. A scoop like I use for coins and rings would do you no good. Dan Hurd dumps his targets into a Gold pan and then pans it out. Effective but very time consuming.

Getting your machine to beep on metal won't be any problem, finding a fast way to identify what you found so you can move on will be the problem. You will be playing a numbers game where success will be determined by how many targets you can process in the time you are hunting. It is up to you how you will accomplish this. I say 100% go for it, a challenge like this is good for the mind and body.

I smoked everybody on my MD forum for 5 years straight consistently finding Gold using a machine I was told was no good, equipment that wasn't good enough and methods I was told were wrong. I loved every minute of rubbing their faces in my success.

Write this on your hand: You cannot buy your way to success in treasure hunting. You have to invent it.

Good luck brother! Treasure hunting/Gold prospecting is the greatest hobby in the world!

SHARE3.jpg

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
AT Gold would be fine for river detecting small nuggets, as long as you run it wide open with no target discrimination. It's a proven rugged machine that is fully submersible to 9 feet. Price is good for a AT Gold package and it comes with a small DD coil. Big coils are useless for what you want to do. The equinox 800 is a good machine but there are no small coils for it and the learning curve is pretty steep. The minelab I would recommend would be the Gold monster 1000 but it's not waterproof.

Seeing as you will be scooping up every flake of rusted iron, split shot and shotgun pellet your biggest problem will be working out some kind of floating sifter you can dump your target and it's surrounding dirt onto to find your target. A scoop like I use for coins and rings would do you no good. Dan Hurd dumps his targets into a Gold pan and then pans it out. Effective but very time consuming.

Getting your machine to beep on metal won't be any problem, finding a fast way to identify what you found so you can move on will be the problem. You will be playing a numbers game where success will be determined by how many targets you can process in the time you are hunting. It is up to you how you will accomplish this. I say 100% go for it, a challenge like this is good for the mind and body.

I smoked everybody on my MD forum for 5 years straight consistently finding Gold using a machine I was told was no good, equipment that wasn't good enough and methods I was told were wrong. I loved every minute of rubbing their faces in my success.

Write this on your hand: You cannot buy your way to success in treasure hunting. You have to invent it.

Good luck brother! Treasure hunting/Gold prospecting is the greatest hobby in the world!

View attachment 270051

Actually, they do and I have one.

Example of cheapest 800:

Next up with waterproof pinpointer:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Actually, they do and I have one.

Example of cheapest 800:

Next up with waterproof pinpointer:
6 inch DD is a great coil, IMO. Cisco is going to have to listen for tiny mid tones in a sea of iron.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a Minelab X-Terra 705 for years and years. Good machine, but I can't get it wet. I live in gold country and a historic gold river is one of my property lines. At one time, there were more than 40 gold and silver mines within walking distance of my property. I've done some panning and got flour after a lot of work, but I would really like to get in the river when the water is low and look for honey holes. The Garrett AT-Gold looks like it might be what I am looking for.

Does anyone here have any advice or recommendation into this decision? Not looking to get rich, just looking to have fun.
CK, you gotta have the lousiest stinkin' timing possibobble. ONE fargin month ago, I GAVE AWAY my salt-water metal detector with NIB pinpointer underwater earphones, and all the bells and whistles.

Since I am now part cyborg, I cannot swing the dang thing. But it was a whizzer. Fisher CZ-21 <-- Top of the line. A tad over $1400.
Here is a video on how to work it.

And here is the beast, naked before your eyes...
1659898764722.jpeg

Just like in the boonies regarding mining claims... the same thing exists for every foot of Floriduh beach. You can metal detect up to your waist in the ocean here. There are filed claims for everything else.

PS: Don't be offput by the balancing, pinpointing, yada. After an hour of detecting, you're a pro and can do it in your sleep.

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Just remember rule #1 Cisco and you'll be fine.

The metal detector is between your ears, the noisemaker just tells you where to dig.

:meditation:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Just remember rule #1 Cisco and you'll be fine.

The metal detector is between your ears, the noisemaker just tells you where to dig.

:meditation:
This I'm still working on.
I have a gold monster 1000.
Haven't found any gold yet, just about everything else though.
Early on with the small coil I was scanning the side of a wash and kept getting a signal that would come and go.
Dig,Dig,Dig but found nothing as the signal was gone...over and over again for an hour.
(Beautiful looking material)
I knew for sure it was a goffer with a gold chain and finger rings.
I got my ear close and heard a clicking noise, it was the coil making noise from a inside the coil.
I had the coil cover on and taped at home so I knew it wasn't something that slipped in while I was out.
I removed the coil cover and checked anyway.
Nope, something definitely inside the factory sealed coil... dammit, switched over to the oval coil and continued on still not finding much....you have to be over targets to find them.

A month later after contacting the place where I bought the detector he said bring it in and I'm sure it's something easy.

Next trip by their place an hour away I brought it in to the shop.
Waited for everyone else to finish up in the store and actually put a few people in front of me as I wasn't sure what it would take to figure it out.

As I explained the situation and noise his wife chuckled and said you got something inside the coil cover EASY ENOUGH as I was explaining it isn't that, she said look here is what you do... removed the tape removed the cover and found nothing...coil still rattling.
Hands it off to him and he shakes it a bit and says Hmmm, NEVER seen that before and I've sold a 1000 of these.
LUCKY ME, I said.
He didn't have a replacement so he pulled one off another new in the box machine recorded the new serial number and I get to start from new again.

Later I asked him at a show about the rattle and he said that's right that was you...sent it back to minelab and heard it was some kind internal problem with the coil and it never happens.
LUCKY ME.

I see YouTubers using gold monster 1000's and when their metal pick gets within a half mile of the coil it squawks like crazy (Jeff Williams)
Mine doesn't do it as Intense as theirs...just not as sensitive??
Hmmm, I still have a lot to learn and found a few pieces of gold in coarse material after dry washing screened out before panning that were put back for later checking with a metal detector.
Problem with that was it took 5 passes to locate one...once it found it then it wouldn't let it go.
GREAT, but wtf why didn't it find it first pass???
Operator needs more time behind the machine.

I found a .04 gram nugget dry washing and checked it later with the gold monster in the wild ( nugget sitting on a rock swing low over the rock about an inch)
It took 3 passes to find it.... again after it found it you couldn't get rid of it, but wtf??
Why 3 passes.
Again operator needs more time behind the machine.
Yes I know practice practice practice.
Can't say I'm sold on this machine, got rocks a plenty where I'm hunting and my patience is well let's say not as good as it needs to be.

I need to have the shop take it for a test drive and see what they think.
Machine or operation error?

Nothing a gpz 6000 wouldn't fix and a nugget patch, but untill then here's waiting for cooler weather.

Last edited: