• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Icing Injuries

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have been into physical fitness my entire adult life. I am 57 and intently continue to look for adventure and physically challenge myself.
In all that time, despite continued recommendation, I have never, ever actually perceived any benefit from icing injuries. Sure, I went along with it but not once could I say to myself that it helped. If it did it wasn't something I could detect.
And it always made sense to me that the body has (or should have) the ability and mode to heal injuries. It seems to in most other areas.

Now, research is thinking what I suspected all along, that the rest-ice-elevation-compression method is a waste of time. In fact, it may be detrimental and delay healing.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I have been into physical fitness my entire adult life. I am 57 and intently continue to look for adventure and physically challenge myself.
In all that time, despite continued recommendation, I have never, ever actually perceived any benefit from icing injuries. Sure, I went along with it but not once could I say to myself that it helped. If it did it wasn't something I could detect.
And it always made sense to me that the body has (or should have) the ability and mode to heal injuries. It seems to in most other areas.

Now, research is thinking what I suspected all along, that the rest-ice-elevation-compression method is a waste of time. In fact, it may be detrimental and delay healing.

Note they aren't able to offer proof oft the contrary either. In other words, whatever method you choose will give the same result in the end.

The key to healing is circulation of vital fluids/nutrients to the affected area while also promoting recovery through resting the area from stimulation. Ie:balance

D-FENZ

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Never made any sense to me either. Sure, it may keep the swelling to a minimum, but that's because blood flow is reduced due to the cold. I've always figured adequate blood flow to an injury is a good thing.

Who knows, tomorrow they will say something else. Just do whatever agrees with your sensibilities and you'll be good.

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I used to run a lot and that's an understatement. In the last couple of years that I was in the Corps I would ice my knees right after and it would help throughout the day. Getting older and playing a young mans game sucked. Some of my buddies said that heat helped so I think it really depends on what "your" body needs.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
These work on my aching back and joints.JPEG_20220114_120507_resize_45.jpg

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I think it really depends on what "your" body needs.
me too

but i'm a believer that if you pay attention to a certain area of your body, you 'baby it' for a while, you're actually furthering your recovery simply by putting any personal energy back into that damaged area

non-invasive therapeutics...i've often wondered if a weekly full body massage would help repair your body faster...

:summer:

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
non-invasive therapeutics...i've often wondered if a weekly full body massage would help repair your body faster...
Prolly depends on how cute the "masseuse" is, or is not.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
The strain of physical activity and associated pain is usually relieved by the liberal use alcohol especially if taken internally.:2 thumbs up:

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I think the benefit to icing is right after an injury to reduce swelling. It keeps changing. Last I checked the Ortho said alternate hot and cold. LOL I do think there is benefit to icing right after an injury or right after surgery but only for a short while.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
its my understanding ...icing slows down damaging activity's ...inflammation...damage at micro levels...irritation...etc.....heat promotes blood flow so good chemicals/nutrients etc can flow in and bad(waste) can be transported out quicker......<<<laymans version.......but i have treated a lot of large animals like horses and stopping/controlling inflammation can be a issue crittical issue

its my view that the membrane around the tendons are the main area to be controlled for inflammation after high work stress activities

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Amazingly, the body actually knows what to do. It swells up to immobilize the are from further injury. We humans think that's a bad idea.

I acquired plantar fasciitis in my right heel from not stretching enough before exercise. It's a bit of a pain, but I now stretch it a lot. I also use a TENS unit and DMSO (which really works btw).

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I think the benefit to icing is right after an injury to reduce swelling. It keeps changing. Last I checked the Ortho said alternate hot and cold. LOL I do think there is benefit to icing right after an injury or right after surgery but only for a short while.
That depends on injury type. Ie strained muscles will need heat to stay loose. A bump on the head won't.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
ICE: Ever watch a striking sport like boxing or MMA? Why do the cornermen use ice cold/compression?

When Joanna's head got beat to a pulp and her hematoma swelled, I think ice was a good idea...a heating pad, not so much
SD-JOANNA-COMPOSITE-1.jpg

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Amazingly, the body actually knows what to do. It swells up to immobilize the are from further injury. We humans think that's a bad idea.

I acquired plantar fasciitis in my right heel from not stretching enough before exercise. It's a bit of a pain, but I now stretch it a lot. I also use a TENS unit and DMSO (which really works btw).
DMSO is great stuff. I learned about it when I was a Vet Tech. It is quite miraculous for burns.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
its my understanding ...icing slows down damaging activity's ...inflammation...damage at micro levels...irritation...etc.....heat promotes blood flow so good chemicals/nutrients etc can flow in and bad(waste) can be transported out quicker......<<<laymans version...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good description.

There can not be a single thing to be used as a "one fits all" treatment. The right treatment depends on what the problem is. Sometimes heat, sometimes icing, sometimes both.

For muscle/tissue strains: Heat it up, cool it down -- 10 minutes each

For broken bones -- jeez

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
DMSO is great stuff. I learned about it when I was a Vet Tech. It is quite miraculous for burns.
MySonTheDoctor mentioned to me that DMSO can have positive results for Alzheimer's.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
What else was it used for?
I bought some of the stuff awhile back, but never really did anything with it. All I know about it, is that it supposedly absorbs easily through the skin and can be used as a carrier for other things that normally would not be able to.

As for burns, I've had good results using lavender oil on them. It also seems to work on most things that produce a burning sensation. I've used it on wasp and scorpion stings, and it took the burn right out of 'em.
Although it didn't seem to do much for fire ant stings.

MySonTheDoctor mentioned to me that DMSO can have positive results for Alzheimer's.
How do they use it for that?

Someone_else

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
How do they use it for that?
Probably internally.

Warning! If you use DMSO daily, you will get a bad body odor. It can be really foul, to the point where others cannot stand being close.