• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

I'd like to speak in praise of Linux

brosil

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
My old ASUS computer had gotten a root kit virus and I wasn't able to recover it. A friend ( now dead) gave me his old game machine to use so I didn't take it any further. I finally bought a replacement hard drive ( They're Cheap) and I installed Lubuntu on it. No more waiting for Windows to wake up. The Linux is up in 10 seconds or so. No constant updating, no pop-ups, it just works. It no longer takes forever to shut down. I hope to recover a few pictures from the other drive but I don't see a reason to go back to Windows. Good job, independent developers.

Uglytruth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It takes time for windows to document everything you do on your computer to sell to uncle sam...............

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Here's the thing ... Linux is an operating system. Period. You add to it what you want. Windows is an operating SUITE! In it's continuing desperate attempt to kill off any and all competition, they build it into a do all, be all system. That means that they try to make sure than every install is stuffed to the max. That much stuff, naturally, can't all possibly work well together. If Microsoft would step back and just build a pure operating system, a GUI, and then an accessory package ... then you'd see an operating system that would totally rock.

That said, I've got a copy of Mint running a Commodore emulator on one laptop, and a copy of Solaris on another.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I've ranted about microsoft in the past, seems like every update makes my computer run worse than it already was. Now I have 2 dead computers and this one on its last leg. This one uses xp which isnt supported anymore so I'm sure thats why I am having issues.

Anyway, lets hear about the limitations for linux and ubuntu.. I was seriously looking at it last night. I think once I get over my initial fear and start using it everyday, I might actually like it.

My main things with the computer is photos, internet, youtube and netflix and browsing and poker. I also use work and excel.
I'm not sure if I would be able to play poker still with Ubuntu but if not I could always do a dual boot I think they called it. So use windows just for poker but ubuntu for the other stuff..

Whats the learning curve for this and honestly I am about as computer illiterate as they come.
I really just want to turn it on and have it work.. I've been so frustrated with microsoft for so long that I feel like I can learn something new to end the frustration and have a CPU that actually works without downloading updates 24/7 365 in the backround slowing my internet down. LOL.

the_shootist

The war is here on our doorstep!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I've ranted about microsoft in the past, seems like every update makes my computer run worse than it already was. Now I have 2 dead computers and this one on its last leg. This one uses xp which isnt supported anymore so I'm sure thats why I am having issues.

Anyway, lets hear about the limitations for linux and ubuntu.. I was seriously looking at it last night. I think once I get over my initial fear and start using it everyday, I might actually like it.

My main things with the computer is photos, internet, youtube and netflix and browsing and poker. I also use work and excel.
I'm not sure if I would be able to play poker still with Ubuntu but if not I could always do a dual boot I think they called it. So use windows just for poker but ubuntu for the other stuff..

Whats the learning curve for this and honestly I am about as computer illiterate as they come.
I really just want to turn it on and have it work.. I've been so frustrated with microsoft for so long that I feel like I can learn something new to end the frustration and have a CPU that actually works without downloading updates 24/7 365 in the backround slowing my internet down. LOL.
Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu
https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=237

Fear not!! Install it and poke around. User interface is somewhat like Windows but as you gain more face time with it you'll realize it's actually much better organized. Use Open Office to Word and Excel files and I haven't looked but I'm sure there's a Linux based poker application out there :2 thumbs up: