• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Important New Forum!

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
A great suggestion came in from Taezzar, seconded by BB,
We need a forum for information share re medical.

This forum is for members to exchange war stories about the med industry.

Had a knee replaced?

Had surgery?

Had heart issues?

whatever works for you

PLEASE DO NOT GARBAGE IT UP WITH CRAP FROM AROUND THE NET, OR I WILL DELETE THE WHOLE FORUM.

This is a place for members to exchange information and pertinent data regarding issues, not to be a dumping zone for all med related stuff off the internet.

Gracias'

luckabuck

I made mine in the stock market!
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Thanks for the new forum. I've a retired medical professional (75), and have experienced and seen it all. While there are scammers everywhere regarding healthcare and it's issues, I have to say that the government and the FDA have done a pretty damn good job keeping our healthcare system in balance. Our problem is that the powers that be in congress and our state legislatures that are composed of non-healthcare people, have screwed up the system massively. Medical care is now run by the big dollar people that are only interested in issues that affect their bottom line of profit. If we can get them out, things would be a lot better.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I'm under the careful eye of the local VA hospital.
I could relate some nightmares regarding that.
Wait, those nightmares are one of the reasons I use the VA!
However, My last surgery at the VA went well. I had three hernias repaired. They used some kind of mesh in me, wonder if it sets off those metal detectors?
Oh, I'm only 71 so you old guys carry on.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
They used some kind of mesh in me, wonder if it sets off those metal detectors?
Probably not.
But you will get a tingly sensation when walking past the buckets of spackle at Home depot.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
However, My last surgery at the VA went well. I had three hernias repaired. They used some kind of mesh in me, wonder if it sets off those metal detectors?
My Dad had hernia surgery a couple years ago and they installed the mesh. Then He had gallbladder issues that required another surgery. The mesh became a huge complication for him. Not sure if it's the same product, but there is a class action suit regaurding the mesh.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Probably not.
But you will get a tingly sensation when walking past the buckets of spackle at Home depot.
I just look at a bucket of Spackle and get all tingly.

Well not rally, butt, for the longest time I did have to wear a jock to support those hernias. Like 6+ months I think. That was awkward.

The time I had AC separation in my right shoulder was bad too. Was not allowed to drive for about 4-5 months, then had to have PT for 4 months after that. Shoulder looks funny and hurts some all these years later.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I am on my 9th day after total hip replacement.
I did my homework & determined the best procedure & best replacements parts. Not just in my opinion, but truly the best way to go.
My research found that the anterior approach was the best way to go, because no muscles get cut ! Recovery time is also shorter. The parts I picked are the "new" ceramic ball & UHMWpe socket. This combo should be the longest lasting & least reactive with the body.
Always go into a medical procedure with a positive attitude, other than good research, this is the most important thing you can do.
Then I went in search of a doctor that did the procedure I wanted & used the parts I wanted in my body.
I had a spinal block as apposed to a general anesthesia, as the recovery is easier & they say the bleeding is reduced.
I am a hellbent for results person. My surgery was at noon a week ago last Thurs. I was in recovery at 4 pm & in my room at 5 pm. Had diner, a good nights sleep & awoke at 4:30 am requesting a walk & got it !!
The physical therapist showed up at 7:30 am, took me for a medium long walk. When we got back to my room, my doctor was waiting. They talked & I was released to go home ! 20 hours in the hospital !!!!
Today, I am cheating a little, I walk without my walker nor a cane, but not far, only a few steps.
Point of this post is to encourage anyone looking at a joint replacement to plan well & do well.
I am 75 yo & doing just fine.

I will get the opposite knee done in about 6 weeks, I will post my research & then a post op, post.

Thanks to Scorp & BB for this forum.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
PLEASE DO NOT GARBAGE IT UP WITH CRAP FROM AROUND THE NET, OR I WILL DELETE THE WHOLE FORUM.
Scorp, delete the member, it's not the forums fault.

I posted what I think to be a good example of what we want to see.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Don't laugh. One year at the indianapolis motor speedway there was an accident. I know what you are thinking, but, it really happened. A car made contact with the wall in a forceful manner. The driver was injured, they extracted him from the flaming wreckage, secured him to the gurney, loaded into the ambulance, the gallant crew instantly to speed to bear the fallen knight in hopes of medical miracles.

Only

They didn't close the back, poor Wally Dallenbach goes rolling out the rear of the Conkles Furneral Home hearse, down the pit road, through the grass, down the embankment, into the creek. According to lore there is video that the Speedway paid large sums of money to be forever in the museum basement. Wally doesn't talk about it.

Don't trust medical people!

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Thanks for the new forum. I've a retired medical professional (75), and have experienced and seen it all. While there are scammers everywhere regarding healthcare and it's issues, I have to say that the government and the FDA have done a pretty damn good job keeping our healthcare system in balance. Our problem is that the powers that be in congress and our state legislatures that are composed of non-healthcare people, have screwed up the system massively. Medical care is now run by the big dollar people that are only interested in issues that affect their bottom line of profit. If we can get them out, things would be a lot better.
Luckabuck I have to slightly disagree with you with regard to the FDA etc from the perspective as a former researcher in biomed area. I don't want to clog up this forum but will post my opinions when it might seem helpful to folks. Having done rounds with MDs and knowing the real biochemistry, drug development process gives you some insight into the system. Like all fields, good and not so good folks but the government is not the total problem in the medical area, no offense.

GIMs strength is about presentation of ideas and perspectives focusing on real life issues. So glad health care has been added.
Hope that is OK or please tell me to shut up Scorp.

Last edited:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Lt , I've had 4 and need a fifth....
VA did the 3 and it needs a 4th
The 1 hernia repair that has been successful was done at a civilian hospital by a civilian doctor....
Bldg 6 is the Psych building at the Bob Dole regional VA and I was lucky enough to spend a year in their Alcohol and Drug Treatment program.
Because I was a marijuana addict.
I am sure glad they saved me.
So I am looking at options for hernia repair numero cinco....
I also had a partial hip replacement at the VA and I think they used a piece of mahogany that was left over from the Civil War...
I can't walk 3 blocks without a lot of pain..
I'm working with a physical therapist on the hip and its helping....
Lets see , C 3 , 4 , and 5 fractured in 5 places , lots of neck hardware....
Fractured L4 in a 3 story fall on the jobsite in 1981.......
Had a .380 slug removed from behind my eyeball on the left orbital..drive by gangster shooting in Wichita...
Migraine sufferer for 20 years , Imitrex injections , finally got off that train with cannabis......
I'm currently on no medications for about 8 years now....
I'm on a full spectrum comprehensive cannabis regime supplemented with organic food and various Vitamins and minerals......
So I basically eat right , talk right , and spit white..unless I have severe cotton mouth .....
I see my times up...

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Lets see , C 3 , 4 , and 5 fractured in 5 places , lots of neck hardware....
My neck, nothing compared to yours, however, a little over a year ago I talked the VA into seeing their chiropractor because of mid back pain and neck issues. He wouldn't touch me without a series of x-rays on my back and neck. What he found and showed me on the neck e-ray was two vertebrae fused together in my neck. He asked me when I'd had surgery on my neck. Never have! He said well, it's fused and has probably been that way for at least 10 years. I went to another chiropractor since with those x-rays and he said he had never seen anyone that was that far along, (fused), that hadn't had surgery.

I've no idea when or how my neck was injured enough that it - all by itself - decided it needed to fuse itself together. The pain has gotten worse over time, but at no time has it been bad enough that I needed anything other than an Aleve. Well, except for a chiropractic adjustment from time to time.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
My recommendation is drink 16+ oz of water in the morning before you eat...

Rehydrate and it works like magic in a few hours!

I just started doing yoga about 2 weeks ago. Couldn't touch my toes even... but now I can.

It's amazing! It's an hour-long slow motion low-impact exercise that will have you huffin and puffin before it's over.

Stretches, twists, doing stuff you used to do as a kid, but now you can't.

Eventually, I'll be able to put my palms on the floor and stand on my head....

BarnacleBob

GIM Founding Member & Mod.
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
I am on my 9th day after total hip replacement.
I did my homework & determined the best procedure & best replacements parts. Not just in my opinion, but truly the best way to go.
My research found that the anterior approach was the best way to go, because no muscles get cut ! Recovery time is also shorter. The parts I picked are the "new" ceramic ball & UHMWpe socket. This combo should be the longest lasting & least reactive with the body.
Always go into a medical procedure with a positive attitude, other than good research, this is the most important thing you can do.
Then I went in search of a doctor that did the procedure I wanted & used the parts I wanted in my body.
I had a spinal block as apposed to a general anesthesia, as the recovery is easier & they say the bleeding is reduced.
I am a hellbent for results person. My surgery was at noon a week ago last Thurs. I was in recovery at 4 pm & in my room at 5 pm. Had diner, a good nights sleep & awoke at 4:30 am requesting a walk & got it !!
The physical therapist showed up at 7:30 am, took me for a medium long walk. When we got back to my room, my doctor was waiting. They talked & I was released to go home ! 20 hours in the hospital !!!!
Today, I am cheating a little, I walk without my walker nor a cane, but not far, only a few steps.
Point of this post is to encourage anyone looking at a joint replacement to plan well & do well.
I am 75 yo & doing just fine.

I will get the opposite knee done in about 6 weeks, I will post my research & then a post op, post.

Thanks to Scorp & BB for this forum.
Glad to learn your recovery is going well & w/o any major complications.... sounds like your a great patient. A doctor can only be as good as his patient. The patient must be capable & willing to follow the directions. It makes a great difference in the recovery & recovery time.

I play golf with a retired MD that also had a hip replacement around the same time I had my CABG procedure. He was back playing golf three months after his hip replacement. Says the hip replacement was the best thing he has done in years... His golf game has improved 35+ percent since his replacement. I hope your outcome is as good as his has been.... I'd say "or" better but I dont think it could be any better.

@DodgebyDave: On Aug 29, 2017 I have atherosclorosis which required an 8 hour open heart surgery that included 5 bypasses. I was most impressed with the professionalism of the entire cardiac staff... Now the office staff is a whole other experience...

Dont confuse the predominate Corporate "for profit" Medical business mentality with the care & ability of the general health care providers. Two different animals altogether.

luckabuck

I made mine in the stock market!
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
"Don't confuse the predominate Corporate "for profit" Medical business mentality with the care & ability of the general health care providers. Two different animals altogether." Absolutely, totally, true!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
"Don't confuse the predominate Corporate "for profit" Medical business mentality with the care & ability of the general health care providers. Two different animals altogether." Absolutely, totally, true!
Angels of Kindness & Mercy vs BEAN Counters. Do I need to make it any clearer ?

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Had both hands operated on years back for CTS, knee for torn cartilage and ligament, didnt want to go the ligament replacement therapy for 6 months so still have that, leared to live with it thru leg exercises, have bad torn rotator cuffs, was scheduled for surgery and decided to have massive heart attack instead, went into congestive heart failure, was in ICU for 10 days and another few days in recovery, that cost the insurance company a few bucks, if memory serves it cost me around 1500 , had good insurance back then before Oatsama fked it all up, also have a pacemaker and defibrillator , got the one with bad leads from Medtronic, was in a class action suit, Medtronic got the judges to say their product wasnt covered under some bullshit law, leads have high failure rate so it might not work when i need it to or might shock me when i dont need shocked, had the pacemaker timechanged for battery 5 1/2 years ago, as theyre getting ready to knock me out surgeon says hey you want new leads since you have the defective ones ?? Im like WTF know you ask me, I opted to keep the old ones in place, something to think of when battery starts to get low in a year or two, they say danger is greater switching leads than them failing as your heart muscles grown around the leads. Got bad bone spurs in neck and bad separation l5 to spine, just had the gall bladder out in Oct now fighting issues with gut and digestion, also had a stint put in one of the arteries round 3 years back , forgot about that one. Other than that I'm in great shape for pushing 68 .

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
HOLY SH!T! THAT'S WHAT I GOT TO LOOK FORWARD TO IN THE NEXT FIVE YEARS ????

I better start looking for some supplemental insurances. :bomb: :bomb 1:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
you guys were sure quick on the cure for constipation......how bout a real cure for toe nail fungus....

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
how bout a real cure for toe nail fungus....
EIS/CS soaks Three times a day for a week. YMMV
Oh, and soak dirty socks for 30 minutes in EIS/CS and wash with EIS/CS in the wash. OR Get new clean socks.
Spray all shoes w/ EIS/CS and leave to air dry as often as possible over the same week.

Well, You "axed" :gracious:

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
you guys were sure quick on the cure for constipation......how bout a real cure for toe nail fungus....
Clean & trim them back as far as possible, rub Vics VapoRub or Mentholatum into the ends & around the cuticles, every night at bedtime. Wear socks. Fungus is gone in a week.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Clean & trim them back as far as possible, rub Vics VapoRub or Mentholatum into the ends & around the cuticles, every night at bedtime. Wear socks. Fungus is gone in a week.
tried that one already with no luck......did it exactly as you described above for over a month

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
OK, leg cramps, I get them bad !!! I take magnesium & it helps, I drink lots of water during the day & it helps. The big one I found is to put a bar or 2 of soap, I use Irish Spring, under the bottom bed sheet about where your cramped leg would be. This one cut my craps by 75% or more, no B.S..
BUT I still get them, just not all the time like I used to get them.

So, does anyone have another remedy to get rid of leg/foot night cramps?

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
tried that one already with no luck......did it exactly as you described above for over a month
Wow ttazz, you got'em bad. The pills can do damage, I wouldn't recommend them.

GOLDBRIX

Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
OK, leg cramps, I get them bad !!! I take magnesium & it helps, I drink lots of water during the day & it helps. The big one I found is to put a bar or 2 of soap, I use Irish Spring, under the bottom bed sheet about where your cramped leg would be. This one cut my craps by 75% or more, no B.S..

When I stretch with my toes pointed down and away from my body, I have a huge problem with leg cramps, and I can stop the cramps only by standing on my toes. I am training myself to stretch with my toes curled up toward my body, and I do not get leg cramps when I do that correctly.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

my mom has/had leg foot cramps...takes 99mg potassium daily (dr suggested)............on the fungus i have hot damp feet all the time naturally very hard to get rid of fungus

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
When I stretch with my toes pointed down and away from my body, I have a huge problem with leg cramps, and I can stop the cramps only by standing on my toes. I am training myself to stretch with my toes curled up toward my body, and I do not get leg cramps when I do that correctly.
For toe cramps, I have to get out of bed & stretch them as you described, then get into bed & put them over the bar soap.

For leg cramps, listen up GB, I have even taped a bar of soap exactly where the leg is cramping. I use that new non-adhesive tape that only sticks to itself. I learned this from a newspaper doc, Doctor Gott. He admits it is difficult to believe & wonders if it is a placebo effect. Anyone that gets these cramps doesn't care what you call a cure, if it works.