• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Industry Baffled as Lumber Prices Soar Higher

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I wonder how many construction crews, will find lumber missing from construction sites, after this three day weekend?

Find out Tuesday what thiefin went on...

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Reason why I loaded 200 2x4's into the basement the same day they were dropped on the driveway....

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Reason why I loaded 200 2x4's into the basement the same day they were dropped on the driveway....
I keep a good portion of my lumber in my basement, too. Hard to get it in and out, but with the world we live in, its a safe place.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I wonder how many construction crews, will find lumber missing from construction sites, after this three day weekend?

Find out Tuesday what thiefin went on...
Local lumber yard has most of their pressure treated right along side the road. I'd hate to think someone would try to steal it.
About this time last year there were signs posted all over the yard and in the office stating customers could not load their own vehicles. I asked if it was an insurance requirement and was told that it was because someone loaded up their vehicle with materials they never even payed for.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
1622148076_ak2jin6ch2.jpg

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
If you have lumber, you could place it on your balance sheet. It's easily converted to cash.

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lumber is money.

Wait...

Does this mean that money grows on trees?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Lumber is money.

Wait...

Does this mean that money grows on trees?
Paper lumber grow on trees. Yes, they actually have a "Lumber Futures"........"market" LOL!

What is the supply and demand of paper lumber?

Someone_else

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Okay, here are the current prices for sheathing plywood at Menards:
1/2 $65.14
5/8 $66.74
3/4 $69.41

So the price is not much about the price of wood in the product, nor the price of glue, but probably the number of units the factory can handle in a shift. And obviously, some entity is bidding up the price to stupid-high levels.

Funny, I just checked "flooring" plywood, and all they had was 1/4 inch for $35.59 Where is the plywood flooring?

Okay, it is under "tongue & groove". Bastards. Here are the subfloor plywood prices:
3/4 ordinary $75.64
3/4 weather $84.54
1 1/8 ordinary $85.43

When I bought the 3/4 weather-proof, I think it was around thirty bucks. A high price, but good insurance because I was doing it myself in the snow. With these thin differences in price, I would absolutely go for the 1 1/8 plywood today. OSB? NO!

offourse2

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
Reaction score
20 sheets cost me $180 last spring.

Worth $1400 today. Probably could trade for a couple cases of ammo
Last spring I replaced 3600' of 4 board paddock fence, it was just shy of 11k not including paint. I don't want to know what it would cost now.

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would absolutely go for the 1 1/8 plywood today. OSB? NO!

Good quality, USA made 1.25 ply is like iron shelving.

I have assisted in building structures with 6x6 posts and 1.25 ply that were not only indestructible, but acoustically massive.

FADEAWAY

Reaction score
update from snowflake city,

tiles like that are coming back around the bend again,
they are using them in showers, on floors, and yes also backsplashes,

wonder if one of these days they will also bring back the avocado and harvest gold appliances :0)

Everything old is new again! !

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 6.32.50 PM.png

smilershouse

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Yes I heard just today from a podcast, the lumber shortage is a rigged game, and/or one market sector anticipating a rise in inflation. The food and oil markets are also taking hits and rising in prices. Geopolitical and food supply chains aside, lumber is certainly developing into a kind of collective 'hording' cartel, with suppliers knowing full well with a rising price, that selling into such an inflationary landscape on the back of a rising house price boom, the lumber thence is going to be worth a crap load more in the near to medium future.

SH

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The BLM/Antifa riots generated a lot of energy behind "White Flight" from the cities. The Lumber game is a hefty tax on White flight. You have to think as the banksters think.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

smilershouse

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Andy explains the links of all things commodity, including lumber.

Trans inflation here we come to try and diminish the value of the debts. . The Genie is out of the bottle and cannot be put back in.

SH

Hivemindgammahydra7

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
There is no shortage - the situation is yet another engineered crisis.

They don’t want you building anything: houses, barns, chicken coups, tool sheds, raised garden beds, nada.

Same with fuels, same with ammo. Independent people are being financially targeted, now.

There are no “accidents.”

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Prices are still going up in my neck of the woods. I just paid $113 for a single sheet of half inch standard plywood.

If I didn't need it I would have walked when I saw the price but I needed it today so I just grit my teeth and paid it.

BeefJerky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Prices are still going up in my neck of the woods. I just paid $113 for a single sheet of half inch standard plywood.

If I didn't need it I would have walked when I saw the price but I needed it today so I just grit my teeth and paid it.
I have been buying cabinet grade birch ply cheaper than building ply. Upside down world.

edsl48

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I have some thoughts on this being housing starts are at a rapid pace where I am despite the price hikes in lumber, copper wire, electrical devices, plumbing et al. If and when the commodity prices drop that means these freshly minted houses sold to the fresh faced "how much down and how much a month" set will be worth less because new comparable houses will be able to be made cheaper meaning a lot of underwater loans in the real estate market.
Things never change, only the faces do during another cycle of the real estate investing cycles.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Not that it'll change anyones direction, but I am sensing a blip in the force... as masks are disappearing, buyers are returning to their senses.. If you have something you can sell, sell now or you may forever hold that property and all the AD velorum they will take.....

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
at the wholesale level, or futures and other, you have heard me speak to the limit moves down in lumber, then some ups, followed by more downs,

still at all time high levels but certainly off the peaks,

yet at the retail level, no such decreases in pricing is evident

and it isn't just wood, all invoices are coming in much higher,

a sparky in some 2 bit town of nowhere goes to buy a roll of 12/2 and gets rolled for dough with this new pricing scheme

little while ago, a small builder around here went and plunked down enough cash at the building supply to lock his price on the next 6 houses,
you are talking somewhere around 1/4 mill just for the frames, cash

hard to even get floor coverings, hvac guys can't get furnaces and AC's in a timely fashion,

garage doors on long leads because of the spray foam for insulated doors,
cabinets/windows/trusses all on long lead times

etc

and I am here to say, these prices are the new paradigm, as it will be a long time if ever we see the prices that we were 'used to'.

Last edited:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
at the wholesale level, or futures and other, you have heard me speak to the limit moves down in lumber, then some ups, followed by more downs,

still at all time high levels but certainly off the peaks,

yet at the retail level, no such decreases in pricing is evident
Retail prices always rise faster than they decline.
Folks finishing a project will still pay the $100. for the last needed sheet of 1/2 CDX.
Home Depot will gladly take that extra wholesale to retail spread while it lasts.

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Agree Scorp.. this week bought enough new switches, receptacles and plates to convert a 2 br condo from ivory to white for a friend of mine. Got the highest rated 20a and 120/277 rated but still laid out $500 plus to get it done. Had to dig around shelves at home depot for over an hour to find a matching series... paid 3.80 a foot for flat 6/3 uf in January, noticed it was at 6.50 as i passed the wire rack.. Friend bought a new frigidaire counter depth in February, one of the boards is bad and they are telling them 4+ months to get a new one. new home up the street had new carrier air handler installed to replace the non cooling unit installed in march.. 3 month old was sat in the street overnight banged and beaten with the carrier nameplate visible like a testimony of their ineptness

So it isn't just you can't get it, what you can get is often really shotty quality and little to no product support or repairability...

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
I haven't compared lumber prices in the US to those in Europe.

My daughter in Sweden tells me that it's "an American issue", but I haven't checked.

She's having her roof changed this fall, and got the quote (not "estimate") back in December...

specsaregood

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I trust you folk at GIM will let me know when the lumber prices return to sane levels. I need to build a dive block soon but dont feel like spending a fortune.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Plywood is still at hurricane price levels. Used pallets were for giveaway. Saw one ad, where they are for now $5.00 each.

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Yupp, I had a feeling the propaganda chants of "the new normal" and "we are all in this together" we're programming the masses for acceptance of more than just the covid rights trampling.