• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Intermittent Fasting

BarnacleBob

Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter

Weatherman

In GIM since 2006
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The video below convinced me. I now fast two nights a week (Monday and Wednesday) from noon until breakfast the following morning. The primary idea is to empty the stomach of food those nights so the body can work on restoring sensitivity to insulin. I lost a lot of useless weight, and I feel good.

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I’ve been fighting a weight problem, plus diabetes and high blood pressure for years and years. Just a few weeks ago, I started to believe that, if I did not get it all under control I would soon be having a heart attack and become permanently disabled or maybe die. Nobody wants to die, but my wife is fragile and has a variety of health issues and actually needs me to take care of her. I jumped!

First thing I did was quit my part-time retirement job. I had been complaining to the boss that I wasn’t feeling well, but he kept asking me to put in extra time, to fill in for people who wouldn’t work or to give him some time off. I gave him a week and did those days properly. Then, I was done. I just wanted to commit myself entirely to my health and nothing else.

Second thing I did was commit myself to a one meal a day diet (or OMAD, for short). Then, I decided to make that meal completely a ketogenic type diet. All beef, pork, chicken, salmon, eggs and vegetables. I have not deviated a bit, which is unusual for me, but I honestly felt it might be life or death or possibly severe disability. I have no choice.

In one week! I have dropped my blood sugar from the high 200’s down to the low 100’s. I was getting readings like 272 and even 301 and higher. My readings this week have gone from 261 to 202 to 197 to 191 to 173 to 151. Last night it was 145 and I was at 130, this morning. Blood pressure hasn’t been as spectacular, but I am down an average of 10/10 points. My weight dropped five pounds, so far.

If anybody doesn’t think this intermittent fasting thing, combined with a ketogenic diet doesn’t work, just try it. It has been surprisingly easy to do, also. I really don’t get hungry too much, at all, between my meals and if I do, I just grab a teaspoon of Smuckers natural peanut butter and a diet root beer or iced tea. I think the high fat content of this diet really keeps you from feeling hungry.

I’m feeling better. I was having severe body aches and fatigue. Some days I just ached from head to toe, literally. I think that was caused by inflammation, which a keto diet is supposed to help. I think it did. Also, allergies seem to be relieved, somewhat. My sinuses aren’t clogging up and causing me fits. I’m also sleeping better. Waking up at six or seven AM, instead of the middle of the night. I was also having pretty severe gut issues and discomfort and that is significantly better.

So, there’s my one week progress report. I have tried all kinds of things, with very mediocre results to try to fix my health issues and in ONE freaking week! I am reversing my symptoms from diabetes and high blood pressure and gut/ digestive distress. I think this just might be my permanent eating pattern, for the rest of my life. Why change it?

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
So, there’s my one week progress report. I have tried all kinds of things, with very mediocre results to try to fix my health issues and in ONE freaking week! I am reversing my symptoms from diabetes and high blood pressure and gut/ digestive distress. I think this just might be my permanent eating pattern, for the rest of my life. Why change it?
Keep us posted SOG

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Keep us posted SOG
Will do. I’m not all about getting skinny, but my goal is to get down to about 165, which is appropriate for a guy my height (5’7”). Also, of course, want to get my BS and BP normalized and get off meds, entirely. That’s just to start. Hopefully, this diet will alleviate or even cure a variety of other issues. We’ll see.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I probably also should mention this, so the fellas don’t lose all hope for enjoyment of life. I have been enjoying one to two shots of Makers Mark every evening with dinner and am STILL getting these phenomenal results. Amazing, isn’t it? I’ve sat outside with a Rocky Patel Petit Corona a couple times this week, also. Life is good.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
It works...

Learn to long term fast --> the quickest, safest and healthiest way to lose weight!

Learn to intermittent fast --> great way to maintain a good weight!

... and learn to cook low carb or keto ---> we eat too many sugars and near sugars... fat is good for you!

I can say lots more but I am convinced we are designed to have lean periods (fast) and we are designed to eat lower carb (complex carbs) ---> look @ nature.

The fastest, safest, easiest , healthiest way I have lost weight, ever, is long term fasting. I can do in 30 days what takes a year using other techniques and I am better off for it! and @ NO COST. aka It is cheaper than eating! Once you get it you will never have a weight issue again. You can fix diabetes this way and autophagy will likely clear up anything like cancer etc you may have developing. The Greeks knew it, we have for forgotten it. If you have an issue in this area I'd urge you to learn all you can about it.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
It works...

Learn to long term fast --> the quickest, safest and healthiest way to lose weight!

... and learn to cook low carb or keto ---> we eat too many sugars and near sugars... fat is good for you!

I can say lots more but I am convinced we are designed to have lean periods (fast) and we are designed to eat lower carb (complex carbs) ---> look @ nature.

The fastest, safest, easiest , healthiest way I have lost weight, ever, is long term fasting. I can do in 30 days what takes a year using other techniques and I am better off for it! and @ NO COST. aka It is cheaper than eating! Once you get it you will never have a weight issue again. You can fix diabetes this way and autophagy will likely clear up anything like cancer etc you may have developing. The Greeks knew it, we have for forgotten it. If you have an issue in this area I'd urge you to learn all you can about it.
I’ve never been able to get beyond three days. Maybe this OMAD plan will make it easier for me, after I’ve been on it awhile. Right now, I’m thrilled with these OMAD results.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I’ve never been able to get beyond three days. Maybe this OMAD plan will make it easier for me, after I’ve been on it awhile. Right now, I’m thrilled with these OMAD results.
That is the hardest period. I will post more about how I do it tomorrow (it's midnight here!), you can make it easier IMO.

Last edited:

chrisflhtc

Seeker
Sr Site Supporter
SOG keep it up it works! I dont have any of the medical issues that you have other than pre hypertensive and a little too much weight. I have been fasting about 4-5 days a week for 18-20 hours a day with time off on the weekends. I have been controlling portion size and curtailed eating in the evenings. removed as much of the carbs, which I dearly love, and gotten rid of most sugar. I only eat what is fresh try and stay off the processed stuff as much as possible. Since march I have lost 31 lbs I am 5'7" my BMI is 28 and a 20% fat content but I have never been in the right window I have always been stout, I have also dropped my bp 15/20 pts. the majority of the weight loss was the first three months. I went from 212 to 181 and have been hovering around that for a few months. As long as I still control my portions on my cheat days all is good. I forgot to add that I also started back to working out and swimming I spend 30 min a day during the week either on an elliptical of stationary bike and try to swim two to three times a week around 25 laps per session. My impetus for this is that I turn 60 in November and I want to be in good shape for my Bday. Also I wanted to get back into my langlitzs riding pants that I haven't been able to fit into since '08. I got into them last week so all is progressing as long as I remember this is a life style change and I have to maintain it or loose it. :2 thumbs up:
Chris

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
SOG keep it up it works! I dont have any of the medical issues that you have other than pre hypertensive and a little too much weight. I have been fasting about 4-5 days a week for 18-20 hours a day with time off on the weekends. I have been controlling portion size and curtailed eating in the evenings. removed as much of the carbs, which I dearly love, and gotten rid of most sugar. I only eat what is fresh try and stay off the processed stuff as much as possible. Since march I have lost 31 lbs I am 5'7" my BMI is 28 and a 20% fat content but I have never been in the right window I have always been stout, I have also dropped my bp 15/20 pts. the majority of the weight loss was the first three months. I went from 212 to 181 and have been hovering around that for a few months. As long as I still control my portions on my cheat days all is good. I forgot to add that I also started back to working out and swimming I spend 30 min a day during the week either on an elliptical of stationary bike and try to swim two to three times a week around 25 laps per session. My impetus for this is that I turn 60 in November and I want to be in good shape for my Bday. Also I wanted to get back into my langlitzs riding pants that I haven't been able to fit into since '08. I got into them last week so all is progressing as long as I remember this is a life style change and I have to maintain it or loose it. :2 thumbs up:
Chris
Sounds like you have had great results from a less restrictive program. Lost over 30 pounds and brought your BP down. Congratulations!

I can’t do cheat days, myself. I don’t have the discipline. If I eat one cheater meal, I will justify two, then three, then I’m screwed for days. This plan I’m on has been easy, so far, so I will forego the pizza and beer and ice cream. I like being alive and feeling good better than the taste of pizza. Besides! I have found out how to make a good fathead pizza with virtually no carbohydrates. You get all the flavor and none of the blood sugar issues.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Just become a frickin sprayer operator.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
WTH is a sprayer operator?

Meeeeeeeeeeee. In busy season I don't eat for days at a time. Then when it rains I gorge, kinda/sorta like many animals. Never eat while working as it makes me drowsy and I hate fighting sleep.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sounds like you have had great results from a less restrictive program. Lost over 30 pounds and brought your BP down. Congratulations!

I can’t do cheat days, myself. I don’t have the discipline. If I eat one cheater meal, I will justify two, then three, then I’m screwed for days. This plan I’m on has been easy, so far, so I will forego the pizza and beer and ice cream. I like being alive and feeling good better than the taste of pizza. Besides! I have found out how to make a good fathead pizza with virtually no carbohydrates. You get all the flavor and none of the blood sugar issues.
No cheat moments for me. If I eat even a bite of pasta or pizza or bread I’m done for quite a while, can’t stop. I hate that it has that affect on me, but all the more reason to stay away. I can do a small amount of berries from time to time, but not much else. On strict carnivore right now and feeling better than ever. Ribeye soaked in butter is amazing!!!!!
How do you feel after the peanut butter? I thought I was having too much fat but once I cut out the peanuts I would occasionally snack on, all my gut issues went away! I can’t recall for sure but I think peanuts have lectins in them that can cause some people problems even if you’re not “allergic” to them.....

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
No cheat moments for me. If I eat even a bite of pasta or pizza or bread I’m done for quite a while, can’t stop. I hate that it has that affect on me, but all the more reason to stay away. I can do a small amount of berries from time to time, but not much else. On strict carnivore right now and feeling better than ever. Ribeye soaked in butter is amazing!!!!!
How do you feel after the peanut butter? I thought I was having too much fat but once I cut out the peanuts I would occasionally snack on, all my gut issues went away! I can’t recall for sure but I think peanuts have lectins in them that can cause some people problems even if you’re not “allergic” to them.....
You know, I feel OK after the peanut butter. No issues, but I don’t overdo it at all. About a teaspoon a day is all, but it keeps my appetite in check till dinner time. Man, that ribeye soaked in butter sounds wonderful!

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
You know, I feel OK after the peanut butter. No issues, but I don’t overdo it at all. About a teaspoon a day is all, but it keeps my appetite in check till dinner time. Man, that ribeye soaked in butter sounds wonderful!
That’s good, I wish I could still have roasted peanuts, really liked those and they definitely worked for me as a snack holdover, but not worth the discomfort...... I had just found some at Trader Joe’s that were roasted in peanut oil, not crappy seed “vegetable” oils like most everything else these days, too.

Love me a good ribeye, medium rare at most, then cover it in Kerrygold butter and a healthy dose of salt, used to do black pepper also but not while I’m on carnivore right now. Just finished a nice 12oz-er, won’t eat again until late morning tomorrow or hopefully lunch time. Nearly everything about life is better eating this way, and yet I still get drawn back by carbs at times.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
That’s good, I wish I could still have roasted peanuts, really liked those and they definitely worked for me as a snack holdover, but not worth the discomfort...... I had just found some at Trader Joe’s that were roasted in peanut oil, not crappy seed “vegetable” oils like most everything else these days, too.

Love me a good ribeye, medium rare at most, then cover it in Kerrygold butter and a healthy dose of salt, used to do black pepper also but not while I’m on carnivore right now. Just finished a nice 12oz-er, won’t eat again until late morning tomorrow or hopefully lunch time. Nearly everything about life is better eating this way, and yet I still get drawn back by carbs at times.
I love the ribeye cooked in butter and then with butter melted over it. What’s the deal with no pepper on carnivore? Jordan Peterson does that, too. Just beef, salt and water.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I love the ribeye cooked in butter and then with butter melted over it. What’s the deal with no pepper on carnivore? Jordan Peterson does that, too. Just beef, salt and water.
I’m pretty sure I can handle black pepper, garlic powder, berries and green leafy veggies too, I’m just trying strict carnivore for a while to see if I notice any further improvements. I don’t have the issues JP was dealing with though so I don’t think I need to be as strict, I just want to try it, and the food is fantastic! Bacon and eggs! Baked chicken thighs with skin on. Ribeye! I do have zero carb cheese and heavy cream too. I still need to find a liver recipe I like though.....

Mikhaila did that first, cut all of the way down to baseline, just beef, salt and water and then EVERYTHING changed for the better. She tried adding back other things and nothing was “safe”. Lots of depression/mood/auto-immune issues for them with anything but that baseline. Others have it with lectins from plants. Animals can run away or fight back, but plants developed chemical defenses, not necessarily for us but for bugs and whatnot to keep from being eaten, but they also work on us, to differing degrees.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
I’m pretty sure I can handle black pepper, garlic powder, berries and green leafy veggies too, I’m just trying strict carnivore for a while to see if I notice any further improvements. I don’t have the issues JP was dealing with though so I don’t think I need to be as strict, I just want to try it, and the food is fantastic! Bacon and eggs! Baked chicken thighs with skin on. Ribeye! I do have zero carb cheese and heavy cream too. I still need to find a liver recipe I like though.....

Mikhaila did that first, cut all of the way down to baseline, just beef, salt and water and then EVERYTHING changed for the better. She tried adding back other things and nothing was “safe”. Lots of depression/mood/auto-immune issues for them with anything but that baseline. Others have it with lectins from plants. Animals can run away or fight back, but plants developed chemical defenses, not necessarily for us but for bugs and whatnot to keep from being eaten, but they also work on us, to differing degrees.
The best thing is to just take a whole chicken, coat it in salt and pepper and roast it or put it in the slow cooker. Salt, for you. Add some veggies and it’s a great meal.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
The best thing is to just take a whole chicken, coat it in salt and pepper and roast it or put it in the slow cooker. Salt, for you. Add some veggies and it’s a great meal.
In the cold season I do whole chickens that way or in a roaster and then make soup and broth for the family. Chicken breast is too lean for me on keto though, and the wife doesn’t like chicken and my girls only like what I like, not the dry breast meat. Thighs with skin on is nice and fatty and perfect for me. Although my 2 and 4 year old daughters have been eating most of it on me so I need to cook a lot more.....

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
For what it’s worth, my latest BS reading was 108. Just a week ago I was getting readings in the upper two hundreds. Dinner tonight was cheese burgers and salad with homemade thousand island dressing. No bread, of course, but I don’t miss it at all. Had a double shot of MM in diet A&W root beer. I’ve tried about everything. This plan is the true, honest to goodness bomb. It works and it’s easy. 108 is getting close to the normal range.

Son of Gloin

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
The video below convinced me. I now fast two nights a week (Monday and Wednesday) from noon until breakfast the following morning. The primary idea is to empty the stomach of food those nights so the body can work on restoring sensitivity to insulin. I lost a lot of useless weight, and I feel good.

Hey Weatherman. I’ve been so excited about telling how well this eating plan is working, I looked past your post and video of Jason Fung. I am thoroughly amazed that you gain so much benefit from just doing this two eighteen hour periods a week, but maybe I shouldn’t be, considering my results from one week of it. I do have Dr. Fung’s book.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Dr. Fung is good. The goal is to keep your insulin levels down and allow your body to use stored fat.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I I was getting readings like 272 and even 301 and higher.
Holy Crap!! Man, you were right about changing something or checking out. The best of luck to you but it ain't luck. Everyone here is on your side.

I've definitely got my crosses to bear but diabetes isn't one of them, for which I'm grateful.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
After I did it the hard way it occurred to me that it would be easier to go this route.

This assumes a normal diet.

1. Eat low carb for a few weeks to a month.
2. Move to keto for a few weeks.
3. Start intermittent fasting with keto for a few weeks.
4. Go ultra low protein and zero carb 'keto' and intermittent fast for a week.
5. Go to a full water fast. (I allow coffee and tea).

Around day three or four you have run down most of the glucose stored in your liver and muscle, that is the point that you are transitioning into full ketosis (burning stored fat), this is why it gets hard. Once you get into full ketosis it gets much easier. By stepping your diet down into a full fat burn diet before you fast you are easing the way and doing some of the hard work while you are still eating.

JMO. 2c worth etc.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
A warning. I've been doing the ketogenic diet and I've noticed that it significantly increases my sensitivity to alcoholic drinks. I can get wasted in nothing flat when I'm in ketosis. If your liver is producing ketones, it means your blood glucose levels are low. And your blood glucose helps to absorb alcohol and mediate its affect on your brain.

On the positive note I've dropped my weight from 173 to 147 (I'm only 5'6" tall.) It took me the better part of six months to accomplish that weight loss; but, hey, I'm happy to have gotten more lean. Would you believe that I still have a bit of belly fat (no abs showing) and those damned love handles? But I've gotten toned and fairly lean. I did three sets of 68 push-ups today and just polished off my fourth and last set with 75. I'm a 74 year old guy; if I can do it, you younger folks certainly can.

Last edited:

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
One thing I learned about fat was by listening to a scientist who was an intermittent faster. He was researching in the area of weight control. He was basically saying that excess weight (fat) has two components. One part is the fat stored inside the fat cells and the other part is the fat cells and the infrastructure to support them, blood vessels etc. He noted that the body was quite 'lazy' in adding OR destroying the cells and the infrastructure that supports the cells. However, the body can store fat quiet quickly if the storage system exists. This is why you are slow to put weight on when younger, you have to persistently over eat for the body to build the excess storage capacity. Once you have that capacity you can lose that weight quite fast at first by emptying those fat cells and regain it just as quick because you have a place to store excess energy. This explains your natural "set point" and tendency to yoyo in weight. The set point becomes the fat cells you have @ a comfortable amount stored in them. The yoyo amount is the full to empty cycle given the number of fat cells you have.

If you long term fast you go thorough two pain barriers. First up when you get to day 4 or so and have run down your glucose levels and are moving into full ketosis. Secondly after you have emptied your fat cells and your body is starting to use the cells and infrastructure itself as energy (via autophagy). This is toward the end of a fast when you body is telling you it needs to eat again. The further you push at the end of the fast the more you reduce your ability to store fat by consuming fat cells. This lowers your natural set point and the lower you move your set point and the less weight you will tend to put back on. It gets damn hard and to get rid of all of your fat infrastructure and it would take repeated long term fasts with a few hard days at the end of each one to greatly reduce it. However it is about the easiest way to achieve permanent weight control, you have to reduce your ability to store fat to help you manage weight with less effort. The failure to reduce fat cell capacity is a part of the reason people always tend to put the weight back on.

Long term fasting is now something I intend to do twice a year or so. I typically go 14 to 21 days with 28 being my max. Over time I expect that I will probably only be able to do 7 days or so as my weight gets lower.

Once you are past the water and waste loss of the first four days (that weight will come back quickly) you can count on about a pound a day real fat loss. From day four to the end is where the fat is burned. I count on around 5 to 10 pounds of water and waste loss, you carry more water if you are running on glucose. To get an idea of how long you can fast work out your ideal BMI weight, take that off your weight, take off about 7 pounds and add 4 to that weight in pounds. That should deliver a theoretical day limit for a fast, it will be more than you think and you likely will not make that until you are practiced.

Also look up supplements while fasting, I found salt and vitamin B5 was necessary for me. Doing the first one I was lethargic, you are literally waking up unused systems, hormones etc... second and third time get easier. Don't give up.

JMO... 2c worth DOYDD etc...

I hope that makes sense!

Last edited:

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Meeeeeeeeeeee. In busy season I don't eat for days at a time. Then when it rains I gorge, kinda/sorta like many animals. Never eat while working as it makes me drowsy and I hate fighting sleep.
Went to El Paso a couple days ago and was busy all day getting supplies (construction materials) and didn't eat until I was ready to head back home (3 hrs). I stopped at a famous Mexican food place and ate a big plate - the drive home was hell, I started getting drowsy within 30 minutes. I had to stop and get a double expresso just to stay awake.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

That is Dr Jason Fung, heaps of him on YouTube if people are interested.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Zed, I think what you are telling me is that initially, we lose weight by burning the fat that is contained in our bodies' fat cells. The fat goes away, our weight goes down, but the same number of fat cells remain, waiting to replenish their fat content at the first opportunity. What you are suggesting is that we use fasting to actually destroy some of the fat cells so that they are no longer available to cause weight gain.

Last edited:

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I've been a kinda health nut since I was a teenager and left home, but it has been a learning experience. I started out eating a Macrobiotic diet for a number of years, but it didn't provide me enough energy for my lifestyle. I started adding more protein and fat and that has been a good balance for me. And I like fruit and berries and the Macrobiotic method just about eliminates fruit. I eat lots of raw nuts, fish, vegetables, oats, eggs, broth, some beef and chicken, some bacon, homemade tortillas from whole blue corn, good cheese, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, greens, fermented veggies, and when I make pizza, I use 00 italian flour naturally fermented with sourdough culture, sauce from San Marzano tomatoes, salt, and basil, and fresh mozzarella - not fattening, and 2 minutes in the WFO. I eat anything made from fresh, wholesome ingredients. I maintain my weight at 190 lbs (6'), almost no variation.

Building structures, furniture, masonry, and walking and doing body exercises works for me. And I've got a wife 20 years younger - can't let myself go :)

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
It works...

Exactly - it's not only about dropping weight. Just remember that Sumo wrestlers also do intermittent fasting.

The number 1 reason to do intermittent fasting is to trigger autophagy. This process is critical when it comes to removing waste material from the body. And I'm not talking about taking a dump. I'm talking about the removal of scenessant cells - the precursor to cancer and other chronic disease.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Peanuts aren't nuts, they are beans and are highly goitrogenic. Eat hard boiled eggs if you need a healthy, high fat snack.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
In the cold season I do whole chickens that way or in a roaster and then make soup and broth for the family. Chicken breast is too lean for me on keto though, and the wife doesn’t like chicken and my girls only like what I like, not the dry breast meat. Thighs with skin on is nice and fatty and perfect for me. Although my 2 and 4 year old daughters have been eating most of it on me so I need to cook a lot more.....
One thing to consider is eating the entire animal. People will begin to develop deficiencies when only eating the muscle tissue of an animal. Early humans would kill an animal and eat almost every part of it - the tongue, the organs, etc - not just the muscle tissue. It's a great, well balanced diet when done correctly.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The number 1 reason to do intermittent fasting is to trigger autophagy. This process is critical when it comes to removing waste material from the body. And I'm not talking about taking a dump. I'm talking about the removal of scenessant cells - the precursor to cancer and other chronic disease.
Yes! We simply where not designed to eat all day everyday. Given modern life is what it is we now have to create these lean periods.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Yes! We simply where not designed to eat all day everyday. Given modern life is what it is we now have to create these lean periods.
The all-day eating, "5-6 meals a day fad", is a western culture phenomenon.....and we have the worst health in history when measured by obesity, chronic disease, cancer, etc...

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Zed, I think what you are telling me is that initially, we lose weight by burning the fat that is contained in our bodies fat cells. The fat goes away, our weight goes down, but the same number of fat cells remain, waiting to replenish their fat content at the first opportunity. What you are suggesting is that we use fasting to actually destroy some of the fat cells so that they are no longer available to cause weight gain.
Yes. The body is slow to destroy them, it needs a push BUT it is also slow to create them, you need to over eat for quite some time to add them. Managing this with tactical fasting keeps you much healthier, not eating is a good thing.

PS> Fasting bumps your metabolism up while calorie restriction slows it down leaving you less capable of burning energy once you go off the diet. That is also a part of the yoyo effect you avoid when you fast. We are mean't to feast then survive a famine (summer, winter cycle), we are built to do this. This is normal, eating all the time isn't! Logical if you think of the probable life of a caveman.

PS> and as Fung says injecting insulin is nuts, the problem is too much insulin. He is well worth listening too as are many others on this one.

JMO --> but it works for me.

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter
The all-day eating, "5-6 meals a day fad", is a western culture phenomenon.....and we have the worst health in history when measured by obesity, chronic disease, cancer, etc...
That just keeps insulin high and pushes you to diabetes... you know, its not like that is a western problem eh? LOL.

The fasting is simple and cheap, the trouble is that there is no money in it for anyone.

Last edited:

Zed

Intergalactic Chart Arse
Midas Member
Site Supporter

You might want to look at "The Plant Paradox" book, that may help explain some issues.