• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Irons MD & Prospecting thread

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Who's taking the picture?

btw there is a guy on FB "Hunting for Gold" with many videos where he explains what to look for.
My wife took the pic.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Officially panning is illegal in Michigan

WIth your governor EVERYTHING is illegal in Michigan except looting & destruction.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I tried gold panning at my buddy's place in Douglasville, GA.

Got black sand OK... and a shitload of fargin BB's!!!

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Not yet I've only tried a few spots and just learning to pan. There is definitely a skill to it but I'm getting down to black sand and garnets consistently now so it's fun. Officially panning is illegal in Michigan on trout streams and wild and scenic rivers/streams but that's a joke every freaking stream here has trout in it. So like metal detecting you just have to be invisible.

The Gold here was scraped down from Canada and the UP mountains and deposited in glacial moraines. The moraine areas here are clusters of big hills left behind from retreating glaciers, really pretty areas we are very familiar with. We ride motorcycles, mushroom hunt and just ride around and explore in them all season.

In the late summer & fall I have several places I plan on hitting where creeks cut through the hills and drop several hundred feet before joining one of the bigger rivers. We'll find more riding cycles this summer. When I find some color the plan is to classify several buckets of material and bring them home and run the cons through a small recirculating clean up sluice. Yeah it's pretty much illegal to sluice here too.

There are folks on Michigan prospecting forums who do pretty good, but like anything good they can't talk about it much. It's possible to find pockets and pay streaks and get an ounce or two of fine flakes and flour Gold here. But nobody's going to tell you how and where to do it.

:2 thumbs up:
At least you are in a state that has Gold and PMs. The Commonwealth of Kentucky has Coal, Crude, and Nat.Gas, maybe low grade gemstones but NO GOLD and NO SILVER, straight from the Kentucky Geological Survey. :-(

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
THE DEPARTMENT OF
NATURAL RESOURCES

1. DNR
  2. MANAGING YOUR RESOURCES
  3. MINERALS
Recreational Gold Panning and Sluicing on State Land
Recreational gold prospectors have permission to pan for gold on land where both the surface and mineral rights are owned by the state. In general, this activity is intended to be recreational in nature. There are limits on the amount of gold that can be taken in any given year, and power sluicing is prohibited.
Some areas are closed to recreational gold panning to protect critical habitat, including state designated trout streams, natural rivers and natural areas.
Please check the following maps to see which areas are closed:
Read the full land use order.
Learn more about gold panning and sluicing from the Department of EGLE.
For questions or comments concerning the use of state land for recreational gold panning and sluicing please email Matt Fry or call 517-284-5862.

aroll.gif

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Above is state land which there is a lot of here along with National Forest

Huron-Manistee National Forest
Gold Panning

Casual/Recreational gold panning is allowed on most National Forest System lands, as long as it is done by hand and does not involve undercutting stream banks. No permit is required for casual gold panning. The use of sluices and portable dredges is not considered casual.

To operate sluices or portable dredges requires a prospecting permit from the Bureau of Land Management. Because the Eastern United States is not subject to the 1872 Mining Law a claim cannot be filed.

To run a sluice you need a $70 permit, you can only go where they designate for you, sluice has to be of a certain size, cannot be powered so no highbankers allowed and it's only good for 2 months July and August. You can 100% forget about getting a dredge permit.

And again Michigan restrictions on natural and trout streams apply. In other words, forget it.

We'll quickly classify material with the standard size Garrett classifier at the stream and bring it home in buckets. Then classify it down to #12 and run it through a small gutter sluice. They are pretty cheap and work really well!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fine-Gold-Recovery-Recirculating-Mini-Sluice-Box-V-Mat-Martin-Prospecting/201325460573?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Better get that beep beep stick out brotha.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ion-jewels-launches-treasure-hunt/5441496002/

A Michigan jeweler is calling it quits after 23 years and taking prospective adventurers on a treasure hunt.
Johnny Perri, who owns J&M Jewelers in Washington Township, Michigan, had an "epiphany" after being forced to shut down due to the coronavirus pandemic.
"Although I enjoyed being in business for myself and have been blessed serving our wonderful customers, I’ve discovered that I was never truly happy," Perri writes on the website set up for his "Treasure Quest."
Perri said he read the news one morning and learned about the man who discovered art dealer Forrest Fenn's $1 million treasure chest. He decided he wanted a piece of that magic himself.
He and his fianceé, Amy, embarked on their own adventure, burying the contents of his entire jewelry store — and "thousands upon thousands" of precious metals and antiques — throughout the state of Michigan.

In total, he's buried $1 million worth of treasure.
"We went through waterfalls, streams, we kayaked everywhere," Perri told WJBK-TV in Detroit.
Each piece of buried treasure has an "X" painted on the spot, as well as a GPS so that he knows whether the treasure has been discovered.
A word of warning: Sharing clues online is forbidden. And during the pandemic, Perri notes that "good judgment" is crucial, so social distancing and frequent handwashing is important.
The first treasure hunt will begin Aug. 1, with the value of the treasure — two 100 ounce silver bars — worth around $4,200.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
1597882029160.png

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Ya missed 2 & none of that pesky silver in there either......

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53857557

Two gold nuggets worth $350,000 found in Australia

1 day ago
_114047594_cfe6b95c-1c3c-4bf7-992e-cdb798a6bf48.jpg
image copyrightAussieGoldHunters/DiscoveryChannel
image captionBrent Shannon and Ethan West found the nuggets while on TV show Aussie Gold Hunters
Two gold nuggets worth around A$350,000 (£190,000; US$250,000) have been discovered by a pair of diggers in southern Australia.
Brent Shannon and Ethan West found the nuggets near goldmining town Tarnagulla in Victoria state.
Their lucky find was shown on TV show Aussie Gold Hunters, which aired on Thursday.
The men dug up the ground and used metal detectors to detect gold in the area.
"These are definitely one of the most significant finds," Ethan West said, according to CNN. "To have two large chunks in one day is quite amazing."
They found the nuggets, which have a combined weight of 3.5kg (7.7lb), in a number of hours with the help of Mr West's father, according to the Discovery Channel which airs the programme.
_114047593_gold.jpg
image captionThe nuggets weigh around 3.5kg (7.7 lb) in combined weight
The show, which is also broadcast in the UK, follows teams of gold prospectors who dig in goldfields in remote parts of Australia.
"I reckoned we were in for a chance," Mr Shannon told Australian TV show Sunrise. "It was in a bit of virgin ground, which means it's untouched and hasn't been mined."
Mr West said that during four years of mining for gold, he is picked up "probably thousands" of pieces.
The Discovery Channel also said collectors could pay up to 30% more for the nuggets than their estimated value.
In 2019 an Australian man unearthed a 1.4kg (49oz) gold nugget worth an estimated A$100,000 (£54,000; $69,000) using a metal detector.
Gold mining in Australia began in the 1850s, and remains a significant industry in the country.
The town of Tarnagulla itself was founded during the Victoria Gold Rush and became very wealthy for a period of time when keen prospectors moved there to make their fortune, according to a local website.

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

1 day ago
image captionBrent Shannon and Ethan West found the nuggets while on TV show Aussie Gold Hunters
Two gold nuggets worth around A$350,000 (£190,000; US$250,000) have been discovered by a pair of diggers in southern Australia.
Brent Shannon and Ethan West found the nuggets near goldmining town Tarnagulla in Victoria state.
Their lucky find was shown on TV show Aussie Gold Hunters, which aired on Thursday.
"These are definitely one of the most significant finds," Ethan West said, according to CNN. "To have two large chunks in one day is quite amazing."
They found the nuggets, which have a combined weight of 3.5kg (7.7lb), in a number of hours with the help of Mr West's father, according to the Discovery Channel which airs the programme.
_114047593_gold.jpg
The show, which is also broadcast in the UK, follows teams of gold prospectors who dig in goldfields in remote parts of Australia.
"I reckoned we were in for a chance," Mr Shannon told Australian TV show Sunrise. "It was in a bit of virgin ground, which means it's untouched and hasn't been mined."
Mr West said that during four years of mining for gold, he is picked up "probably thousands" of pieces.
The Discovery Channel also said collectors could pay up to 30% more for the nuggets than their estimated value.
In 2019 an Australian man unearthed a 1.4kg (49oz) gold nugget worth an estimated A$100,000 (£54,000; $69,000) using a metal detector.
Gold mining in Australia began in the 1850s, and remains a significant industry in the country.
The town of Tarnagulla itself was founded during the Victoria Gold Rush and became very wealthy for a period of time when keen prospectors moved there to make their fortune, according to a local website.
Those look like some of the nuggets people still manage to find now and then in Alaska.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Those look like some of the nuggets people still manage to find now and then in Alaska.
IDK, I think the Aussie are THE place for big ass nuggets now. Far more people wander through AK from gold rush days to now compared to that big ass desert island nation former BRIT. Colony Prison.

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

1 day ago
_114047593_gold.jpg

These are beautiful. Almost 8 pounds of gold, wow!

That's enough to grub stake them to MILL around for more...

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Found a boon in the parking lot of Lowes / Walmart /Kroger. Hell I don't recall which one. Hell, I pick up paperclips, washers and pennies all the time.
So, I saw a white metal spacer/washer on the ground so I picked it up and put it in my pocket and kept going. Shit! I got things to do.
Got home and empty my change / junk pocket and was about to throw this "spacer" in with my screws, bolts, washers cup when the "spacer' caught my attention more closely.
Looking it over closely this time the outsides were not threads. Then I saw markings inside "GAG 14K" (NOT A 'SPACER"). IT IS A WHITE GOLD WEDDING BAND:

Ring_IMG_0121.jpg

ring_1_23_21.jpg

GAG is a California Jeweler.
Being a scrounge paid off. As Gary Drayton calls it "A top pocket find". ( No longer headed to the tool box)

I did not see a reason to start a thread for one GREAT find. When Irons find many. If he don't want to share I start a another topic.

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Found a boon in the parking lot of Lowes / Walmart /Kroger. Hell I don't recall which one. Hell, I pick up paperclips, washers and pennies all the time.
So, I saw a white metal spacer/washer on the ground so I picked it up and put it in my pocket and kept going. Shit! I got things to do.
Got home and empty my change / junk pocket and was about to throw this "spacer" in with my screws, bolts, washers cup when the "spacer' caught my attention more closely.
Looking it over closely this time the outsides were not threads. Then I saw markings inside "GAG 14K" (NOT A 'SPACER"). IT IS A WHITE GOLD WEDDING BAND:

View attachment 199425

View attachment 199424
GAG is a California Jeweler.
Being a scrounge paid off. As Gary Drayton calls it "A top pocket find". ( No longer headed to the tool box)

I did not see a reason to start a thread for one GREAT find. When Irons find many. If he don't want to share I start a another topic.
Very nice! Moar Gold than I found last year!

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
<heh> yeah, it was a nice close-up...
Thanx, I got lucky considering I inherited Essential Tremors ( me and my brothers) from my maternal grandfather. He shook and an uncle shook too.
My hand writing has gone to schitz. It would show up here if it were not for Spellcheck. Sometimes it still sneaks in.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
<heh> looks like a mason jar lid ring to me.
You'd better check it closer...
Wait Wait, were y'all takin me seriously??
Bottom Feeder?
the guy runnin the comix strip in the smokin room.??

Shit!
I'm turnin in my comedian card

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Smooth ought to be along any minute telling you it's fake.

Sorry I'm late folks..... GOLDBRIX, I would have that thing tested if I were you. Lots of fake rings out there that the Chinese made from old mason jar lids. just an FYI

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Sorry I'm late folks..... GOLDBRIX, I would have that thing tested if I were you. Lots of fake rings out there that the Chinese made from old mason jar lids. just an FYI
True to form "smoove" aka "Joe Btfsplk " .
1611498524136.png

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I've been doing some cleaning and organizing and came across both my gold pans and a small amount of gold I panned up awhile back. I've been thinking about getting a MD and possibly a rocker box. I know nothing about MDs so if those of you with some experience with them and tools/accessories can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Here's my few grams of pay dirt. I'll bet I moved 800 lbs of real dirt to find this little bit.........

IMG_20210215_113942504.jpgIMG_20210215_113936627.jpg

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I've got a whizzer of a detector and new pointer that I do not use. It is the kind that can work even in salt water.

But the hassle of putting it on Ebay or whatever (boxing it up would be a PITA). It cost me north of $1400. Used it twice before my shot-up shoulder fell apart and had to be replaced with Terminator subassemblies. (*sigh*)

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. I've been doing some cleaning and organizing and came across both my gold pans and a small amount of gold I panned up awhile back. I've been thinking about getting a MD and possibly a rocker box. I know nothing about MDs so if those of you with some experience with them and tools/accessories can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Here's my few grams of pay dirt. I'll bet I moved 800 lbs of real dirt to find this little bit.........

View attachment 202295View attachment 202296

Out of the box detecting and finding, with ability to match your knowledge gains of machine...
The Equinox 800 by Minelab.
Now for sincere gold detecting detector.
That is another story and a very thick wallet.

Nice merc.

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a whizzer of a detector and new pointer that I do not use. It is the kind that can work even in salt water.

But the hassle of putting it on Ebay or whatever (boxing it up would be a PITA). It cost me north of $1400. Used it twice before my shot-up shoulder fell apart and had to be replaced with Terminator subassemblies. (*sigh*)

So what are you trying in tell me here? Explain "whizzer" and "pointer"?!?! I don't see much salt water here in the desert SW. PM me for details

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
ViChris
In the southwest desert your more likely to run into hot rocks and highly mineralized soil.
Minelab gold detectors are hard to beat.
We have a pulse induction sdc2300 and a gold monster.
Looks like your on some good gold.
The sdc2300 is better for skipping over the rocks and will go a little deeper into the ground.

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ViChris
In the southwest desert your more likely to run into hot rocks and highly mineralized soil.
Minelab gold detectors are hard to beat.
We have a pulse induction sdc2300 and a gold monster.
Looks like your on some good gold.
The sdc2300 is better for skipping over the rocks and will go a little deeper into the ground.

Honestly I'm not thinking about the MD for gold mining. More for general detecting around popular sites and old ghost towns and other places I've found while out hunting/scouting. I'd like to get a rocker box or small sluice box for gold panning in some creeks.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
looks like part of a chinese made plumbing quick connect assembly

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
If I wuz forty years younger, I'd pounce on thisaone:

https://bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-ctx-3030-metal-detector

Lordy! What a rig. Only $2500 bones.

View attachment 202835

DO NOT TOUCH IT.

That machine weighs a TON and is outperformed by Equinox 800 at 1/4 cost.
It is an E-Trac with less tone ID, and 1" deeper target recognition.
For my E-Trac when the 3030 came out, I bought a 13" Ultimate coil for $180.
Gained an inch plus in depth, 2" wider, better target ID(stable tone) and weighed less than Minelab's 11" stock coil.
LOOK ! It comes with a shoulder harness !!
Yeah, you'll need it.
Unless you are the totally gay, coil swinging, no digging, phallic pinpointing only, iron junk, lazy as fuk, prostate detecting, Hoax Island con man.

I could out detect that 'tard with a 20 year old, 9" coil, Whites Prizm II.
Bought used for same I sold it as first machine and MAN did I find a LOT.
And MAN what a piece of sh*t it was.
Teaches you to measure swing with foot distance not eye/coil to ground.
That retard on Hoax Island swings like a partridge shot in a thicket.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
DO NOT TOUCH IT.

That machine weighs a TON and is outperformed by Equinox 800 at 1/4 cost.
It is an E-Trac with less tone ID, and 1" deeper target recognition.
For my E-Trac when the 3030 came out, I bought a 13" Ultimate coil for $180.
Gained an inch plus in depth, 2" wider, better target ID(stable tone) and weighed less than Minelab's 11" stock coil.
LOOK ! It comes with a shoulder harness !!
Yeah, you'll need it.
Unless you are the totally gay, coil swinging, no digging, phallic pinpointing only, iron junk, lazy as fuk, prostate detecting, Hoax Island con man.

I could out detect that 'tard with a 20 year old, 9" coil, Whites Prizm II.
Bought used for same I sold it as first machine and MAN did I find a LOT.
And MAN what a piece of sh*t it was.
Teaches you to measure swing with foot distance not eye/coil to ground.
That retard on Hoax Island swings like a partridge shot in a thicket.
Damn! A little harsh there aren't ya ?
From what I've seen and read Drayton has some serious "Street Cred":
"Growing up in Grimsby (England), Gary spent many years as a bottle digger in the UK, digging old Victorian trash pits and "mud hopping" along the river banks in search of old bottles, clay pipes, doll heads, and marbles. Some of the bottles he found dated back to the early 1600s and the clay pipes from the 1500s. His oldest bottle find was a Roman perfume bottle dating from the Roman occupation! It was bottle digging that eventually led to his interest in metal detecting; every year Gary would find more and more coins while digging for bottles.
When Gary then moved across the pond to South Florida he decided one day to take his metal detector to the beach and on his first day out he dug up a Spanish Silver Piece of Eight. Then a few months later he found a 1715 Spanish Fleet Gold and Emerald Ring. His "outside the box" approach to metal detecting has lead Gary to explore various search techniques and different sites, always aided by his site reading and metal detecting technique to find treasure. Since then has found hundreds of Gold Rings, Jewelry of all types, Coins, Silver, Rolex's, Bronze Ship Spikes, War Artifacts and Spanish Treasure! Gary is a relentless beach hunter who has even been complimented by Famous Late Great 1715 Spanish Fleet Salvager Bob Weller for having the 3 P's - Patience, Persistence and Preservance."...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8668371/bio

Good enough to make his living off of it, Not just a hobbyist.

Like your input on equipment brands but the rest I'll disregard.