• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Irons MD & Prospecting thread

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Damn! A little harsh there aren't ya ?
From what I've seen and read Drayton has some serious "Street Cred":
"Growing up in Grimsby (England), Gary spent many years as a bottle digger in the UK, digging old Victorian trash pits and "mud hopping" along the river banks in search of old bottles, clay pipes, doll heads, and marbles. Some of the bottles he found dated back to the early 1600s and the clay pipes from the 1500s. His oldest bottle find was a Roman perfume bottle dating from the Roman occupation! It was bottle digging that eventually led to his interest in metal detecting; every year Gary would find more and more coins while digging for bottles.
When Gary then moved across the pond to South Florida he decided one day to take his metal detector to the beach and on his first day out he dug up a Spanish Silver Piece of Eight. Then a few months later he found a 1715 Spanish Fleet Gold and Emerald Ring. His "outside the box" approach to metal detecting has lead Gary to explore various search techniques and different sites, always aided by his site reading and metal detecting technique to find treasure. Since then has found hundreds of Gold Rings, Jewelry of all types, Coins, Silver, Rolex's, Bronze Ship Spikes, War Artifacts and Spanish Treasure! Gary is a relentless beach hunter who has even been complimented by Famous Late Great 1715 Spanish Fleet Salvager Bob Weller for having the 3 P's - Patience, Persistence and Preservance."...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8668371/bio

Good enough to make his living off of it, Not just a hobbyist.

Like your input on equipment brands but the rest I'll disregard.

maybe stag hasn’t had his morning coffee yet

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man,.... I'm trying to buy a Minelab Equinox 800 bundle. Just got off a long chat with some DICK named Bart on the Big Boys Hobbies website. I kept trying to ask the dude questions and all he wanted to do was diss his competitors. What an absolute DICK. Anyone have any luck with Serious Detecting or Kellyco? Did I say that the dude I was chatting with, Bart, @ Big Boys was a DICK?......:mad::stfu::piss:finger:

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Damn! A little harsh there aren't ya ?
From what I've seen and read Drayton has some serious "Street Cred":
"Growing up in Grimsby (England), Gary spent many years as a bottle digger in the UK, digging old Victorian trash pits and "mud hopping" along the river banks in search of old bottles, clay pipes, doll heads, and marbles. Some of the bottles he found dated back to the early 1600s and the clay pipes from the 1500s. His oldest bottle find was a Roman perfume bottle dating from the Roman occupation! It was bottle digging that eventually led to his interest in metal detecting; every year Gary would find more and more coins while digging for bottles.
When Gary then moved across the pond to South Florida he decided one day to take his metal detector to the beach and on his first day out he dug up a Spanish Silver Piece of Eight. Then a few months later he found a 1715 Spanish Fleet Gold and Emerald Ring. His "outside the box" approach to metal detecting has lead Gary to explore various search techniques and different sites, always aided by his site reading and metal detecting technique to find treasure. Since then has found hundreds of Gold Rings, Jewelry of all types, Coins, Silver, Rolex's, Bronze Ship Spikes, War Artifacts and Spanish Treasure! Gary is a relentless beach hunter who has even been complimented by Famous Late Great 1715 Spanish Fleet Salvager Bob Weller for having the 3 P's - Patience, Persistence and Preservance."...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8668371/bio

Good enough to make his living off of it, Not just a hobbyist.

Like your input on equipment brands but the rest I'll disregard.

I see where you're coming from Goldbrix,......But its the kind of info that's needed, at least for this newbie.....maybe less the personal attacks. I've spent the better part of the past 2 weeks researching and watching youtube videos and my darling wife doing the same. Trying to filter out the beachcomber/diver videos because they just don't pertain to me. Thanks Stag and rte

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
just buy a Garrett Ace 250 or 350 and get to detecting

try not to overthink treasure hunting , it ain’t like trying to figure out stochastic charts or Bitcoin
It's called "witchcraft"

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Man,.... I'm trying to buy a Minelab Equinox 800 bundle. Just got off a long chat with some DICK named Bart on the Big Boys Hobbies website. I kept trying to ask the dude questions and all he wanted to do was diss his competitors. What an absolute DICK. Anyone have any luck with Serious Detecting or Kellyco? Did I say that the dude I was chatting with, Bart, @ Big Boys was a DICK?......:mad::stfu::piss:finger:

PM sent...

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You guys crack me up....

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
You guys crack me up....
Hey it gets you outside in the fresh air and sunshine.
Here's my take for an hour today...no gold.
20210227_133453.jpg

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Hey it gets you outside in the fresh air and sunshine.
Here's my take for an hour today...no gold.
View attachment 203090
Where do you guys hunt? Rivers? Abandoned houses? Woods where there were trails at one time?

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Where do you guys hunt? Rivers? Abandoned houses? Woods where there were trails at one time?

That epic haul was from a spot in the Arizona desert...Laguna mountain range.

Hunted the Hillside just up from the main dry wash.
Next time out we will go over the top of the mountain and see what's there.
Should be less man made trash.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
There is a sandbar where the kids gather on the Colorado river.
I've always wanted to go see what gems they left behind after a big weekend.
the location is only accessible by boat.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
That's not the beach. Dude. The beach is where it is dry. That is called "being in the lake".

That's why you keep finding the 50% sliver.
Silver, fishing sinkers same same.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I found GOLD in the wild!

Yep, we got out and checked two of the creeks I had in mind and one showed some pretty consistent color for Michigan.
I have been running around and riding cycles in these woods for a lot of years so I know several creeks that cut through glacial deposit hills with deep deep ravines before dumping into a main river.

The first creek had a ton of heavy black sand and garnets damn near anywhere there was a deposit where the current drops off. So much black sand that finish panning creekside would literally take you all day to do a few pans. I hit two different areas on this creek a few miles apart and both areas showed heavy garnet sand and specks of Gold. Pans that had bigger garnets had several specks of Gold, tiny garnet areas held maybe one or two specks. I found one speck that was big enough to feel with a finger tip and push it out of the black sand! We'll call that an almostflake.

The second creek which is a couple miles from the first one and looks damn near identical in terms of terrain and water flow had much less garnet sand and pretty much no Gold. It took me several hours and a couple dozen test pans to finally find one speck that was sitting on top of a band of clay. I only found that speck because I'm stubborn and not very bright. Giving up wasn't an option.

Now this is federal national forest so no highbanking whatsoever, and even stream sluicing is illegal without a $79 permit that's only good for 2 months. Hardly worth it. It didn't say anything about gathering a bucket of classified concentrates to bring home and run through a recirculating sluice though, so that's what we'll do.

Mrs Irons took a couple pictures with her phone, I'll bring my camera next time so I can get some good shots showing the Gold and the amazing garnet sand. Really cool looking stuff that shines red in the sun.

Beach dog approves!

Gold-1.jpg
gold-2.jpg
gold-3.jpg
gold-4.jpg
goldfin-5.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I found GOLD in the wild!
We have gold in many of the creeks down here in Ohio, at least the ones I've panned. Might be some muddy creeks I haven't tried that don't - at least not at a depth a person would care to dig. Glacier gold, really fine stuff. A man will never get rich digging that stuff outta the creek.

Wife was always ready to go gold panning with me, said it was an excuse for us older folks to go play in the creek.

Tough trying to metal detect in our area though. Ran a magnet over the ground and picked up small rocks. Rocks! Find all kinds of stuff in those glacial dumps.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I am surprised at all the places gold can be found. When you think of the traditional gold spots, Mich and Ohio dont come to mind at all.

Maybe its not rare at all..........

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I went gold panning yesterday. We set up a sluice box and everything. I shoulda got some pics. Found a couple of tiny little flakes. I did bring my metal detector along and found 2 quarters and a penny.......cool:

We recently joined Gold Prospectors Assoc. of NM. We've only been to one of their claims. The one nearest town. Its been worked pretty hard and there is no water.

Irons, Do you have Sluice box? You can run losts more material if you have one. Look on Walmart.com. They got some really decent ones at a great price.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It's kinda strange that, once access is gained by permission, how common it is to find gold in many streams in the east, such as Ohio, Ind, and Mich. Not many people even know it is here - all thanks to the ice age. While I;ve not found anything to brag about, I have seen some pretty nice gold that others have found. Of course, I'm in the GPAA, so I do have contacts.

I've been to many states in the west but never found much, but most of those areas were public or GPAA clams and had been really worked hard by the locals, so pickings where slim.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
William Bradford made a fortune off of Indiana gold, volcanoes create it and then glaciers spread it around

Bill asked my grandfather to go with him to Brazil, needed a guy that could defeat the woods so that he could find gold.

Bill just knew that the Amazon river chain was full of huge nuggets

He was right.

Gramps didn't go because..........

I would trade bisquits to go!

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
It's kinda strange that, once access is gained by permission, how common it is to find gold in many streams in the east, such as Ohio, Ind, and Mich. Not many people even know it is here - all thanks to the ice age. While I;ve not found anything to brag about, I have seen some pretty nice gold that others have found. Of course, I'm in the GPAA, so I do have contacts.

I've been to many states in the west but never found much, but most of those areas were public or GPAA clams and had been really worked hard by the locals, so pickings where slim.
There are maps that show glacial deposits areas or moraines as the geologists call them. Side moraines can be pretty rich for bigger Gold because the material was more pushed aside than ran right over and ground to flour. Boyne City in Michigan is one such area and Gold nuggets were found there back in the day. The area is very beautiful with a line of high hills that run for miles just to the West of US 31.

e18555e6bbbc03bb1367b95d479f793d.jpg

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You're right about that. Although there's still gold to be found you gotta move A LOT of dirt to get to it. And you may be moving A LOT of unproductive dirt. When I lived in Prescott AZ I spent a fair amount of time prospecting around Lynx creek which is the richest gold producing area in AZ. Prescott started out as a mining town when they discovered gold in Lynx Creek in the 1860's. I read several accounts that the big mining companies in those days hired thousands of Chinamen to work their claims. And by thousands I mean 100,000. I read several accounts that there were over 100,000 Chinamen living in and around Lynx creek back in the 1880's working the big claims and making 10 cents per day. And if you ever spent time digging/prospecting for gold you'll find its some back breaking work.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Irons, Do you have Sluice box?
Pretty much Illegal to run any sluice here. Our federal national forest land rules here are as different from your BLM as night and day.
If I could run a small highbanker with an extended sluice set up like a long tom I could do pretty well in the creek I found the most Gold in.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Pretty much Illegal to run any sluice here. Our federal national forest land rules here are as different from your BLM as night and day.
If I could run a small highbanker with an extended sluice set up like a long tom I could do pretty well in the creek I found the most Gold in.

Hmmm, wonder what the law states?

if your running a gas motor inside the water or discharging your dirty water back into the river...I can see the issue.

Using a (Holding pond) I would think you could get that to fly as long as you reclaim the area and put it back as it was or better.

You Should call this guy and turn the dog loose on him.
For questions or comments concerning the use of state land for recreational gold panning and sluicing please email Matt Fry or call 517-284-5862

I'm thinking state lands and all.
They dont want you to drastically change the way it looks.

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Hmmm, wonder what the law states?

if your running a gas motor inside the water or discharging your dirty water back into the river...I can see the issue.

Using a (Holding pond) I would think you could get that to fly as long as you reclaim the area and put it back as it was or better.

You Should call this guy and turn the dog loose on him.
For questions or comments concerning the use of state land for recreational gold panning and sluicing please email Matt Fry or call 517-284-5862

I'm thinking state lands and all.
They dont want you to drastically change the way it looks.
I think as long as I only have a pan, a classifier and a bucket they will leave me alone. I am also staying off the popular tourist rivers and sticking to the less known feeder creeks. Everything is a frickin' trout stream here, but it's been my stomping ground for a long time so I'm pretty good at disappearing when I want to.

State land:

Recreational Gold Panning and Sluicing on State Land
Recreational gold prospectors have permission to pan for gold on land where both the surface and mineral rights are owned by the state. In general, this activity is intended to be recreational in nature. There are limits on the amount of gold that can be taken in any given year, and power sluicing is prohibited.
Some areas are closed to recreational gold panning to protect critical habitat, including state designated trout streams, natural rivers and natural areas.
Please check the following maps to see which areas are closed:
Federal land:

Huron-Manistee National Forest
Gold Panning

Casual/Recreational gold panning is allowed on most National Forest System lands, as long as it is done by hand and does not involve undercutting stream banks. No permit is required for casual gold panning.

The use of sluices and portable dredges is not considered casual.

To run a sluice you need a $70 permit, you can only go where they designate for you, sluice has to be of a certain size, cannot be powered so no highbankers allowed and it's only good for 2 months July and August. You can 100% forget about getting a dredge permit.

And again Michigan restrictions on natural areas and trout streams apply. In other words, forget it.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Gold is found typically in the mountain areas because they're 'newer' than places like Iowa and Ohio.

All that 'new' mountain being eroded away whereas the flatlands have all that quality farmland with lots of 'old' dirt.

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So here was most my haul from a little metal detecting at a park yesterday morning. Did someone say there was some gold on Cross pens? A bunch of change, 4 pre 1982 pennies, a silver earring post. A 20 cent coin from Singapore and a few other odds and ends. I think I've got my Equinox 800 tuned really well to filter out most of the junk.

IMG_20210416_131835034_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210416_131853926.jpg
IMG_20210416_131842759_HDR.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Not sure what is going on with GIM today, but I think I'm out of likes to give. Every time I attempt to hit a like to a post, it shows up then magically disappears. :don't know:
I had been using Firefox on a Linux computer.
I also have Opera on here and signed in to GIM - now I'm able again to 'give thanks' or likes.
Not sure what is going on with Firefox on Linux with this machine.

So, I now have likes to give again.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Interesting you found a Singapore coin...