• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Irons MD & Prospecting thread

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Gutter Sluice! . . .
aarock.gif

I forgot to take my camera down to the creek with me Saturday, but I got pictures of the new clean up sluice at home! This little bugger works great it even catches all the tiny Michigan flour Gold and holds it in the riffles just fine. Mrs Irons suggested sniffering the Gold specks out of the riffles as they appear while the sluice is running and that worked great. There were many more specks I never saw when I cleaned the mat out too.

I wanted to get one of these sluices to run my pay dirt tailings anyway so if it didn't work on flour Gold that would have been OK. But it works just fine with the basic sluice V matting it came with. I did take out the nugget mesh at the bottom, don't need that here. Picture 3 you can see 2 specks of MI Gold and all the garnets from the creek. The black sand there is probably 30% garnets.

After running all the concentrates I panned out of the creek through it I set it up in the pole barn and ran a pound of Alaska Dredgeman paydirt through it to see how it would handle that stuff. With a little adjusting on the water flow it handled it just fine. I panned the tailings and it only missed a half dozen or so fly poop specks, so it looks like it misses less Gold than I probably do panning.

All and all, this thing is cool as feck!

Last picture is Alaska Gold. I can only dream about finding Gold like that here!

S-RS-4.jpg
S-RS-3.jpg
S-RS-2.jpg
S-RS-0.jpg
S-RS-1.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I bought some of that Alaska gold one year for Christmas. Christmas morning wife and I opened it up got a big tub of water in the middle of the living room floor and panned it out right there. We were of course very careful not to get water all over the floor - best Christmas ever. She like it so much we ordered more, great fun - (in warmer weather).

Oh, was to cold outside to pan it out there, water would have froze.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
How much was that new clean up sluice? Doesn't look to be but a few lbs to carry. Battery power off a converter?

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
How much was that new clean up sluice? Doesn't look to be but a few lbs to carry. Battery power off a converter?
It's 110 v, but you could run it off a converter and battery.

Their stores are mjcoinsantiques on ebay and APGolf on amazon. I got the basic one without the fancy matting. After seeing the results on this video I didn't figure I needed the Gold stop matting, and I didn't. The legs guarantee you have the correct drop angle so they're worth it.

Price:
US $79.95

savvydon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Gutter Sluice! . . . View attachment 207988

I forgot to take my camera down to the creek with me Saturday, but I got pictures of the new clean up sluice at home! This little bugger works great it even catches all the tiny Michigan flour Gold and holds it in the riffles just fine. Mrs Irons suggested sniffering the Gold specks out of the riffles as they appear while the sluice is running and that worked great. There were many more specks I never saw when I cleaned the mat out too.

I wanted to get one of these sluices to run my pay dirt tailings anyway so if it didn't work on flour Gold that would have been OK. But it works just fine with the basic sluice V matting it came with. I did take out the nugget mesh at the bottom, don't need that here. Picture 3 you can see 2 specks of MI Gold and all the garnets from the creek. The black sand there is probably 30% garnets.

After running all the concentrates I panned out of the creek through it I set it up in the pole barn and ran a pound of Alaska Dredgeman paydirt through it to see how it would handle that stuff. With a little adjusting on the water flow it handled it just fine. I panned the tailings and it only missed a half dozen or so fly poop specks, so it looks like it misses less Gold than I probably do panning.

All and all, this thing is cool as feck!

Last picture is Alaska Gold. I can only dream about finding Gold like that here!

View attachment 207991View attachment 207992View attachment 207993View attachment 207994View attachment 207995
Gold is great!

Garnet is good.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Looks like a piece of PVC split in half with some legs & a small water pump to me......... 12V inline fuel pump regulated back some would probably work for the pump.

I'm cheap that way.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I think the dog hangs out with irons for entertainment...........

'what is this goofy bastard going to come up with next'

This is a fun thread!

:2 thumbs up:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Looks like a piece of PVC split in half with some legs & a small water pump to me......... 12V inline fuel pump regulated back some would probably work for the pump.

I'm cheap that way.
It's a piece of plastic rain gutter. The beauty of that type of rain gutter is it has a round bottom. Because of that it doesn't have to be perfectly level to run right. The same rule of one inch of drop per foot of sluice apply but the legs insure you have that. There are dozens of DIY videos to make your own sluice on youtube, I don't mind paying because somebody else already got all the bugs out of this system.

Foolproof is perfect for this fool.

:meditation:

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I ordered mine. I have a volcano core(s) in my area, on the very eastern edge of the cripple creek formation. Its like the crust and upper mantle had an argument.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I ordered mine. I have a volcano core(s) in my area, on the very eastern edge of the cripple creek formation. Its like the crust and upper mantle had an argument.
Use Jet Dry and brush the air bubbles out of the matting every time you start up for a run and after every clean up.

Ask me how I figured that one out.

. . . . . . .
aroll.gif

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
There's that Newmont mine over between CC and Victor. There's a couple of creeks S of there that might prove promising.

Also that big leach field 'looks' as if it's got a stream SW of it, or maybe it's wishful thinking....?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
The cripple creek formation goes almost to the ks border. Thats just a hot spot, if the geological abstracts ive read are correct.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
One of these days I'm going to try my hand at making a fine gold catcher.
Im thinking Something like a mini lazy river.
Until then, I pan everything out to the best of my abilities and save the black sands to re-run at a later date with my new creation.
Resized_20210416_154942_6593992692912819.jpeg

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
We were out metal detecting and the better half came back carrying this rock.
Looked like petrified wood.
She got another target and set the heavy rock down to dig.
That one turned out to be a 40 year old aluminum can (whohoo $0.02 worth of precious metals)
We were both tired so I picked up the rock and headed back the 1/4 mile to the car...OK maybe it was closer to 500 yards.
She said just set it down and we will get it later on (next time we are out)
Next time out we were with others in our group and one of them spotted the rock and picked it up (doh)
Had a good laugh about us carrying that rock for miles up hill both ways but didn't fight over it.
Everyone thought it was an interesting looking rock.
My better half wanted it for the garden out front, jim wondered if it held gold...a couple days later he sent me a few pictures and asked WHERE did you first find this rock.
IMG_04841.jpg

He broke off a bit and crushed it with a hammer to test.
IMG_04811.jpg

Interesting rock Indeed.
IMG_04831.jpg

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting you found a Singapore coin...

Agreed.....the number on my Equinox 800 came up looking like a nickle. I almost didn't dig it up because nickles and pull tabs look pretty similar.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I got my groovy panning kit today, the sluice irons showed is meant to be here monday.

I see lots of digging and drinking beer in my future.

Amazon???? WTF...... next time try here...... https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=gold prospecting

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I got my groovy panning kit today, the sluice irons showed is meant to be here monday.

Gold. It makes white people crazy!

gb-10.jpg

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Wait What?
Have I been doing it wrong?
Got the digging down, but I don't drink beer.
We went out this morning and hit it hard for 4 hours.
3 rounds (earth to bucket, bucket to trommel, trommel to bucket, bucket to drywasher).
Resized_20210423_180838_6942954451375430.jpeg

We figured that we moved at least one yard of dirt and rocks.
19 classified 5 gallon buckets thru the drywasher with 6 clean outs.
Got enough rocks in the tailings pile to just about drive right up to the shelf.

Were beat, will try and pan it out tomorrow but I've got some honey do things around the house to accomplish as well.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Wait What?
Have I been doing it wrong?
Got the digging down, but I don't drink beer.
Why'd you pick that spot?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Why'd you pick that spot?
Couple reasons,
One is you can pretty much drive right up to the spot in the wash.
Work area is 25 feet away.
It's on a ledge or shelf about 4 foot higher then the current wash level.
There was an old dead ironwood tree there along with some larger rocks.
We sampled the spot with some decent results.
Easy access is a plus when the tromel weighs In at 60 pounds.
Its not bad to set up, BUT after shoveling dirt and rocks for half a day...that 60 pounds returning to the vehicle feels like 120.
Resized_20210108_105000.jpg

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Our club had an outing today. We had 3 dry washers set up. We had a blast. One of the members found a pretty nice size nugget with his metal detector. Sorry I forgot to get a pic. But I got some pics of some of the gold dry washed then panned up. Oh and note the lack of black sand in this area

Here's a few pics of the results.....

IMG_20210424_112136448_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210424_142006231.jpg
IMG_20210424_142144202.jpg
IMG_20210424_142201286.jpg
IMG_20210424_162559977.jpg
IMG_20210424_162606368.jpg

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Our club had an outing today. We had 3 dry washers set up. We had a blast. One of the members found a pretty nice size nugget with his metal detector. Sorry I forgot to get a pic. But I got some pics of some of the gold dry washed then panned up. Oh and note the lack of black sand in this area

Here's a few pics of the results.....

View attachment 208561View attachment 208562View attachment 208563View attachment 208564View attachment 208565View attachment 208566
Man that is awesome, and lookit how coarse that picker is! That did not travel far from the source at all.
Time to break out the rock hammers and find that vein!

aarock.gif

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Couple reasons,
One is you can pretty much drive right up to the spot in the wash.
Work area is 25 feet away.
It's on a ledge or shelf about 4 foot higher then the current wash level.
There was an old dead ironwood tree there along with some larger rocks.
We sampled the spot with some decent results.
Easy access is a plus when the tromel weighs In at 60 pounds.
Its not bad to set up, BUT after shoveling dirt and rocks for half a day...that 60 pounds returning to the vehicle feels like 120.
View attachment 208550
I'm envious you guys can file claims and work an area with whatever tools you want to. Mrs Irons and I have been riding our motorcycles with a map in one hand looking for very remote areas to prospect. I'm going run a 30 inch E-Z sluice and just hope I don't get caught.

aawhistle.gif

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm envious you guys can file claims and work an area with whatever tools you want to. Mrs Irons and I have been riding our motorcycles with a map in one hand looking for very remote areas to prospect. I'm going run a 30 inch E-Z sluice and just hope I don't get caught.

View attachment 208574.

aaaaarrrrrrggggg! keep digging matey!

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

vichris

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man that is awesome, and lookit how coarse that picker is! That did not travel far from the source at all.
Time to break out the rock hammers and find that vein!

View attachment 208573

If you thought that that picker was course you should have seen the nugget that was found by the guy metal detecting. Some one said it was puffy gold. Strange looking stuff.

BTW this claim is near Golden NM. It has been very heavily worked for well over a century.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
It has been suggested, mind you its just a suggestion and you have to consider the source (muttons)........

They are painting dirt gold