• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Irons MD & Prospecting thread

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
A perfect end to an absolutely beautiful Northern Michigan day at the creek this evening feeding the sluice. I did sing a bear song on the way out this time because it was well dark by the time I was heading back to my truck! I figured if a woods cop was waiting at my truck to give me a ticket he would be laughing his ass off by the time I got there. I was digging around the big rock in the first picture, and I did get a few fly poops and one really nice chunky bit. The chunky one looks fresh................

Then it dawned on me as I was looking at all the round rocks and black sand eroding from the banks I am probably prospecting at the source of the glacier Gold in this creek when I should be looking for where the little specks of Gold are going.

Back to the drawing board! It sure is fun though!

aasnoopy.gif

8-14RS-1.jpg
8-14RS-2.jpg
8-14RS-3.jpg

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Tried out my new bionic arms at the beach today! Probably the first time since 2017 I got to run my metal detector hard for a couple hours without being in constant pain. It was pretty wavy but the day was beautiful and the water is warm.

Managed some coins. 2 silver rings and this sweet diamond studded 14k clunker. A nice $217 stroll in the lake!

Thanks for looking! You too Smooth!

PIRATE.GIF
pbanana.gif
pirate2.jpg

8-2021RS-2.jpg
8-2021RS-1.jpg

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Tried out my new bionic arms at the beach today! Probably the first time since 2017 I got to run my metal detector hard for a couple hours without being in constant pain. It was pretty wavy but the day was beautiful and the water is warm.

Managed some coins. 2 silver rings and this sweet diamond studded 14k clunker. A nice $217 stroll in the lake!

View attachment 221503 View attachment 221504 View attachment 221505

View attachment 221501View attachment 221502
About damn time, I was tempted to escape the BS in MN and come up there with my magic wand and see if I couldn't find some of Iron's treasure.

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
... fyi... my metal-detector is just sitting corroding in the basement, since in France it's quasi-illegal to use one - VERBOTEN for "historical relics" (coins INCLUDED), and forbidden on most beaches and river-beds...
You CAN run one on somebody's private property with his permission... but your "finds" had better be "very recent" - and must be DECLARED and what the government doesn't take shared with the property owner.

I do have a little pan (for the rivers where it isn't "regulated or forbidden"), but I've NEVER found even one flake...

Don't even think of bringing a "sluice-box" or a "vacuum pump"...

Last edited:

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Check out this guys contraption he set up in his garage to water purify the gold containing sand he wishes to wash away. This is a really cool set up.

I have tried to upload pics for this but can't even upload a small pic without the system telling me it's too big to display. BS.

What gives, mods?

Last edited:

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score

View attachment 221503 View attachment 221504 View attachment 221505

View attachment 221501View attachment 221502
NICE!!!!

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Check out this guys contraption he set up in his garage to water purify the gold containing sand he wishes to wash away. This is a really cool set up.

I have tried to upload pics for this but can't even upload a small pic.

What gives, mods?

in my history of posting pics, the ones in your phone are TOO BIG TO UPLOAD

so you upload them to your computer, open them in "Paint", and "resize" to 30% (& even "crop" them and/or add "text"), "save as jpg" in "pictures", then they will post as "insert image"
insert image GIM2.jpg
(3 per post)... and not overflow the screen

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

I have tried to upload pics for this but can't even upload a small pic.

What gives, mods?
Is it the Gold drop system?

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Just tried again. It tells me that a 350k size pic is too big.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
in my history of posting pics, the ones in your phone are TOO BIG TO UPLOAD

so you upload them to your computer, open them in "Paint", and "resize" to 30% (& even "crop" them and/or add "text"), "save as jpg" in "pictures", then they will post as "insert image" View attachment 221584 (3 per post)... and not overflow the screen
Already resized the pics to suitable size. Done this many times and normally it works.

They still won't load.

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
1629132922085.png

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Halving it down worked. But this has changed.

1629133082544.png

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
1629133176956.png

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
1629133279666.png

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Perseverence...

What's missing is "superposing text" (in Paint, again) to explain what we're looking at...

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
What you're looking at is water swerving circular around a circuit in a pan that lifts the lighter rocks depositing them over the circular dump into a secondary sluice and leaves the heavier material in both places. You adjust water pressure to increase or decrease swerving pressure until you have nothing left but the heaviest rocks. This works great for tiny material and you have to screen down to a certain size before placing in the pan

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
What you're looking at is water swerving circular around a circuit in a pan that lifts the lighter rocks depositing them over the circular dump into a secondary sluice and leaves the heavier material in both places. You adjust water pressure to increase or decrease swerving pressure until you have nothing left but the heaviest rocks. This works great for tiny material and you have to screen down to a certain size before placing in the pan

Seems to me that "thin flakes & dust" could be "shoved out" with this process, being "pushed" by the rotating water, notwithstanding their "relative weight"...

arminius

Argentate Bluster
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
And that's probably why there is a secondary sluice in the system before the water recirculates. Waters not rotating there, it's pure weight.

Uglytruth

Super Moderator
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
This would be easier than a stick or a sluice.

1629157988961.jpeg

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Perseverence...

What's missing is "superposing text" (in Paint, again) to explain what we're looking at...
That's a blue bowl concentrator.
For Fine gold recovery.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Not really as fun as your guys, but I get paid to do it. Nice haul today(new building to me). While working, I look on roofs and in units for silver brazing rods. These are 15% silver. Also found a nice little sterling earing in the parking lot.

IMG_0675 (3).jpg

Last edited:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Went to the beach this morning, gorgeous day with small roller waves and great bikini scenery!

Didn't find shit. Enjoyed it anyway!

aasnoopy.gif

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210821-133147~3.png

dacrunch

Midas Member
Midas Member
Reaction score
Went to the beach this morning, gorgeous day with small roller waves and great bikini scenery!

Didn't find shit. Enjoyed it anyway!

View attachment 222359

Got me thinking... Tried the nudist beaches? - Because they take EVERYTHING off, right?... so it's somewhere in the sand...

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Hit the creek for a couple hours after dinner, it was cool and quiet out in the woods. Found a few specks of Gold too!
I got a big 50L backpack that holds all my prospecting stuff except of course the buckets and shovel, it's really nice.
Holds a small cooler too! Cold beer @ the creek!

8-21-21RS.jpg

Thecrensh

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hit the creek for a couple hours after dinner, it was cool and quiet out in the woods. Found a few specks of Gold too!
I got a big 50L backpack that holds all my prospecting stuff except of course the buckets and shovel, it's really nice.
Holds a small cooler too! Cold beer @ the creek!

View attachment 222435
That looks like a nice afternoon.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Got some great Gold at clay bottom creek yesterday but I forgot my camera. I did get a couple pics on my phone so I'll see if Mrs Irons can email them to me and I can post them here. It's so freaking hot and humid we didn't go up to the cabin this weekend, I didn't feel like trying to air condition 2 houses when it's 100 frickin' degrees. There is way more specks of Gold in this creek than the one I have been prospecting up north, but the specks are much smaller.

Prospecting clay bottom creek involves a hike down a ravine and then some brush busting to get to the creek. The mosquito's were attacking in clouds and working in that heat did me in. I wanted to go back in today but feck that, it was 93 degrees and climbing by 10:30 AM.

If this was easy every fool would be doing it.

:2 thumbs up:

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I got pictures! Not the best but they'll do. I ran both sluices because this is clay and once classified it is really dense and feeds through the sluice pretty slowly, even in fast water. This way I could sit on my camp chair behind them and feed one then the other as the first cleared. That worked really well and both sluices fit in my backpack so it wasn't to big a boo humping them both back in there. Both sluices worked extremely well catching tiny flour Gold. I'm really impressed with my equipment, zero complaints here.

The last pic shows my Keene extra deep classifier full of the material I get in clay bottom creek. I scrape the gravel off the clay at the bottom of depressions in the creek bottom and there's always Gold in it. There's no reason to dig into or break up the clay because the Gold doesn't penetrate it much.

CBC-1.jpg
CBC-2.jpg

CBC-3.jpg

newmisty

Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I got pictures! Not the best but they'll do. I ran both sluices because this is clay and once classified it is really dense and feeds through the sluice pretty slowly, even in fast water. This way I could sit on my camp chair behind them and feed one then the other as the first cleared. That worked really well and both sluices fit in my backpack so it wasn't to big a boo humping them both back in there. Both sluices worked extremely well catching tiny flour Gold. I'm really impressed with my equipment, zero complaints here.

The last pic shows my Keene extra deep classifier full of the material I get in clay bottom creek. I scrape the gravel off the clay at the bottom of depressions in the creek bottom and there's always Gold in it. There's no reason to dig into or break up the clay because the Gold doesn't penetrate it much.

View attachment 223355View attachment 223356
View attachment 223357
(Standing in creek shouting into speaker phone...) " Hey Iron's! Hey man....wese tryin' to replimcate that there sloose-a-ma-bobber thingy soes wese can git that there shiney barmabaric relic-y stuff too....anywho, juss wonderin' iffins da camo'z necessary or any print do? Cuz we ain't done found nothin' usin' momma's plaid padded Goodwill hand me down and Frankie says its cuz we d'in use da camo like u says..."