• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Is Israel Dragging The U.S. Into World War III

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Watch: Colonel Says Israel Is Dragging The United States Into World War III

by Tyler Durden
Sat, 03/10/2018 - 23:00

Authored by Darius Shahtahmasebi via TheAntiMedia.org,

Israel is in the process of plunging America into a war with Iran that could destroy what’s left of the Middle East and ignite a third world war, Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell, warned in Washington approximately a week ago.

Wilkerson, a retired army colonel who now teaches at Washington-area universities, didn’t hold back in his critique of where the status quo is leading the United States via its client state, Israel.

At the annual Israel lobby conference at the National Press Club, sponsored by the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs and Institute for Research: Middle East Policy, Wilkerson explained that Israel is headed toward “a massive confrontation with the various powers arrayed against it, a confrontation that will suck America in and perhaps terminate the experiment that is Israel and do irreparable damage to the empire that America has become.”

One of the principal antagonists begging for a war with Iran that Wilkerson identified was none other than Avigdor Lieberman, Israel’s Russian-born Defense Minister. Wilkerson stated:

“Lieberman will speak in April in New York City at the annual conference of the Jerusalem Post. The title is, ‘The New War with Iran.’ It is clear that he’s [at] the forefront of promoting this war.

“And nowhere does my concern about such a war focus more acutely at the moment than Syria. As [the] president of France Emmanuel Macron described it recently, ‘The current rhetoric of the U.S., Saudi Arabia, and Israel is pushing the region toward conflict with Iran.’”

Despite Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s incessant denigrations of Iran, including claiming the greatest danger facing the Jewish state is the Islamic republic — a country he accuses of fanning the flames of anti-Semitism — Wilkerson blew these accusations out of the park using simple logic. He said:

"This antisemitism bit, of course, as we’ve heard today, is almost always a weapon of choice for Israeli politicians under stress hurled, in this case, at the country whose Jewish population — by the way, the largest in the Middle East outside of Turkey and Israel — lives in Iran in reasonable peace.”

He continued:

“And don’t forget that these words were uttered by the man who, as we’ve heard today, is doing everything he can to expel dark-skinned African refugees largely from Eritrea and Sudan from Israel, where most have come as legitimate refugees.”

Wilkerson highlighted the hypocrisy of Netanyahu and his cohorts in more ways than one. For example, Wilkerson referred to Netanyahu’s grandiose speech at the Munich Security Conference in which he directly challenged Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammad Javad Zarif while holding remnants of a drone allegedly downed over Israeli airspace. Israel claimed the drone was Iranian-manufactured. Wilkerson noted that in response, Iran found itself being rescued by Lebanon’s Defense Minister, who said he had an Israeli drone over his head virtually 24 hours a day.

Further, the mainstream media and the governments that benefit from their narratives pay close to zero attention to the fact that Israel routinely violates Lebanese airspace with its sophisticated aircraft. Rather, Iran is constantly painted as the major threat and violator of international law.

“Of late of course,” Wilkerson continued, “Tel Aviv is increasingly using Iran’s presence in Syria, its support for Bashar al-Assad, and its alleged drive– and I love this one, and my military comrades love it, too– for a Shia corridor from Tehran to Aden, as the hoary beast that must not be at any cost, including of course America’s treasure and lives, as his probable cause and existential prompt for action.”

But why is there a danger that the U.S. will be dragged into this war, and why does Israel need America’s help? As Wilkerson explains:

“I believe the answer is fairly clear once you push aside the cobwebs that surround it. The legitimacy of great power is what I call it. And that is precisely what Netanyahu and Lieberman desire.

“It’s also what Riyadh desires, especially with the new boy king Mohammed bin Salman, now an erstwhile ally of Israel.

“In short, the IDF could defend Israel but it could not attack Iran. Not successfully, anyway. And were it to do so, it would be damned internationally and thus isolated even more than it already is today, perhaps devastatingly so.”

Last year, a top Israeli general tasked with writing his country’s defense policy admitted that Israel cannot take on Iran’s military alone if the day should come that the regional powers face off in a direct military confrontation, saying they would need to rely on the U.S. for assistance.

According to a Politico report, during the Obama years, Israel drew up a military strike option but never really used it. Deep down, Israel knew its effectiveness lied in its ability to pressure the U.S. government into taking further action of its own lest it be dragged into a catastrophic war with Iran that it may or may not be prepared to fight. From the Politico report:

“They [the Israelis] ordered the Israel Defense Forces and the intelligence arms to prepare for a huge operation: an all-out air attack in the heart of Iran. Some $2 billion was spent on preparations for the attack and for what the Israelis believed would take place the day after – a counterattack either by Iranian warplanes and missiles or by its proxy in Lebanon, Hezbollah. The latter could use either the 50,000 missiles it had stockpiled (by 2018, Israeli intelligence estimated the number had increased to 100,000), or it could activate its terror cells abroad, with the assistance of Iranian intelligence, to strike at Israeli or Jewish targets. This is what it did in 1992 and 1994 when it responded to Israeli attacks in Lebanon by blowing up the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires and the Jewish community center AMIA in that city, with a massive number of casualties in both attacks.”

The strike plan never took place, of course, but according to Politico, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu continued to use it to put pressure on the U.S. government to achieve its anti-Iranian objectives. Every day, the likelihood that a war might erupt between Israel and Iran, in turn involving the United States, which has sworn to come to Israel’s defense if attacked by Iran, continues to inch that much closer to reality.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...s-israel-dragging-united-states-world-war-iii

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
...and do irreparable damage to the empire that America has become
He tipped his cards right here! Empire? Enough said. Folks, we have another swamp creature doing the bidding of his masters. Nothing more.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
We need to stay out of the Middle East.

I had some hope when this administration took office, but even trump is attacking Yemen and Syria.

Saudi Arabia and Israel want the USA to attack Iran. This is not our fight. And also, Iran fought Isis and defended Christians while Saudi Arabia and Israel supported supported Isis.

This is the cost of the petrodollar and having the joos be in control of the banking system.

Saudi Arabia and Israel also attacked us on 9/11. Fox News even said so.

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I don't believe this any more. It seems Trump is well aware of the (((globalist's))) and has been extremely good to them in advance of the 'epiphany' that will be coming down the pike. He'll then play the 'victim' once the revelation of the Israeli tyranny, spying and betrayal has been exposed. At least that's what the direction things seem to be going these days. We watch and wait!

Last edited:

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My opinion Trump just yesses israel to death but will not go to war for israel.

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I don't believe this any more. It seems Trump is well aware of the (((globalist's))) and has been extremely good to them in advance of the 'epiphany' that will be coming down the pike. He'll then play the 'victim' once the revelation of the Israeli tyranny, spying and betrayal has been exposed. At least that's what the direction things seem to be going these days. We watch and wait!
I have to agree. I think that is why you hear so much about Benjamin "Bibi" Netanyahu's sins being splashed on the MSM. I think he's going to be the fall guy for them.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
What would make the US withdraw?
Mr Tillerson said the Trump administration desired "five key end states for Syria".

• IS and al-Qaeda in Syria "suffer an enduring defeat, do not present a threat to the homeland, and do not resurface in a new form"
  • The conflict is resolved through a UN-led process, and "a stable, unified, independent Syria, under post-Assad leadership, is functioning as a state"
  • Iranian influence in Syria is diminished and Syria's neighbours are secure
  • Conditions are created so displaced people can begin to return to their homes
  • Syria is free of weapons of mass destruction
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42731222

The Trump administration plans on staying in Syria forever. The very nature of the conflict ensures that Iran will have influence in Syria.

Iran is keeping Assad and the Syrian government in power by defending them against American supplied “rebels” and Saudi financed terrorists.

Why are we still there and why do we care if Iran influences Syria? Especially when the biggest sponsor of terrorism is Saudi Arabia, by far.

It’s because Israel and Saudi Arabia butter the bread of our politicians.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I don't mind killing m00hamedans for Israel

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I don't mind killing m00hamedans for Israel
You should if you realize Israel is allied with the moohamedans who promote the most extremism and that they want to use our children and money to fight their battles.

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What would make the US withdraw?
Mr Tillerson said the Trump administration desired "five key end states for Syria".

• IS and al-Qaeda in Syria "suffer an enduring defeat, do not present a threat to the homeland, and do not resurface in a new form"
  • The conflict is resolved through a UN-led process, and "a stable, unified, independent Syria, under post-Assad leadership, is functioning as a state"
  • Iranian influence in Syria is diminished and Syria's neighbours are secure
  • Conditions are created so displaced people can begin to return to their homes
  • Syria is free of weapons of mass destruction
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42731222

The Trump administration plans on staying in Syria forever. The very nature of the conflict ensures that Iran will have influence in Syria.

Iran is keeping Assad and the Syrian government in power by defending them against American supplied “rebels” and Saudi financed terrorists.

Why are we still there and why do we care if Iran influences Syria? Especially when the biggest sponsor of terrorism is Saudi Arabia, by far.

Deen do you remember during one of the presidential debates Trump said Putin is doing good in Syria and almost said Iran was doing good also but stopped before he blurted it out? Trump knows the truth notice he never got rid of the Iran deal. He is just yessing the people he dissagrees with to death but in the end he will do the right thing IMHO.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Deen do you remember during one of the presidential debates Trump said Putin is doing good in Syria and almost said Iran was doing good also but stopped before he blurted it out? Trump knows the truth notice he never got rid of the Iran deal. He is just yessing the people he dissagrees with to death but in the end he will do the right thing IMHO.
In the end? What about right now?

You drinking the koolaid? He could end it all right now; he is commander in chief.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
'dial.........it's hard to undo a deal that's been completed. Iran......was paid. What is Trump going to do....demand they give it back?

I have a better idea......let's engineer a Sunni/Shia killfest in downtown Tehran and let them m00hamedans kill each other! Better yet would be if they started bombing each other in Dearborn

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
In the end? What about right now?

You drinking the koolaid? He could end it all right now; he is commander in chief.
Do you remember what they did to Regan after he pulled out of the mid east after the Beirut massacre? They hit him back with Iran Contra
'dial.........it's hard to undo a deal that's been completed. Iran......was paid. What is Trump going to do....demand they give it back?

I have a better idea......let's engineer a Sunni/Shia killfest in downtown Tehran and let them m00hamedans kill each other! Better yet would be if they started bombing each other in Dearborn
Iran was paid? No money that was theirs was given back do some reading on it.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Especially when the biggest sponsor of terrorism is Saudi Arabia, by far.

the biggest sponsor of terrorism is Saudi Arabia, by far.
You should include the CIA & our military–industrial complex.
It’s because Israel and Saudi Arabia butter the bread of our politicians. And it is our whores in congress that are controlled by our military–industrial complex

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Read on what? Some shill that spews "hate Israel, never mind the genocidal pedophiles"?

For what reason should I hate Israel?

I'm not a Reagan fanboy. I do credit Reagan and Shrub 1.0 for helping with my enlightenment.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Violating the American people’s sovereignty by essentially bribing our politicians and also spying on us.

Israel has campaigned to receive billions of dollars worth of aid from American taxpayers.

They wish to use our children and money to fight their battles.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Has Israel done anything we haven't done?

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Read on what? Some shill that spews "hate Israel, never mind the genocidal pedophiles"?

I'm not a Reagan fanboy. I do credit Reagan and Shrub 1.0 for helping with my enlightenment.
Not saying to hate but let’s not be there chumps. In that whole Iran contra show israel was the middleman along with some rich Saudis who were selling the Iranians arms to fight Hussein. Why would israel be selling arms to a hostile muslim regime who was fighting a secular Arab country? I say stay away let Russia and Iran and Assad be.

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Not saying to hate but let’s not be there chumps. In that whole Iran contra show israel was the middleman along with some rich Saudis who were selling the Iranians arms to fight Hussein. Why would israel be selling arms to a hostile muslim regime who was fighting a secular Arab country? I say stay away let Russia and Iran and Assad be.
It's perfectly normal to hate your enemy. Slowly but surely Israel is being exposed. along with treasonous American politicians, bankers and military complex for its crimes, past and present, against America and the world.

My greatest hope is that I live long enough to see them all burn!

keef

Пальто Crude
Platinum Bling
Might be a good time to review the fire power of current nuclear devices:

The good part, with the new hypersonic delivery systems we wouldn't even see them coming.

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Might be a good time to review the fire power of current nuclear devices:

The good part, with the new hypersonic delivery systems we wouldn't even see them coming.
Serious question what happend to all the nuclear fallout from those thousands of tests we did in the forties fifties and sixties?

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Serious question what happend to all the nuclear fallout from those thousands of tests we did in the forties fifties and sixties?
I've asked that question so many times and never really got a good answer. Eventually I stopped worrying about nuclear winter

Last edited:

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've asked that questions so many times and never really got a good answer. Eventually I stopped worrying about nuclear winter
Funny how everybody got excited over a small leak at 3 mile island but nobody was concerned about thousands of nuclear bombs going off for military testing.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
I've asked that questions so many times and never really got a good answer. Eventually I stopped worrying about nuclear winter
The answer is staring us in the face.
Just look at all the animals living in the "forbidden"zone at Chernobyl, or how quickly Japan rebuilt after their 2 nuke attacks.
Are we being told any truths, AT ALL ???

the_shootist

Targeted!
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Funny how everybody got excited over a small leak at 3 mile island but nobody was concerned about thousands of nuclear bombs going off for military testing.
People should be dying by the hundreds every day in Japan. What about Chernobyl? I hear the radiation is gone and the place is teaming with wildlife. Where did all the radiation go? I thought that area would be barren and lifeless for 100 years!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
How Many Politicians Can You Buy with $6.3 Billion Dollars?

Grant Smith, the author of Big Israel: How Israel’s Lobby Moves America, reveals the revenue of the Israeli lobby’s will reach $6.3 billion in 2020, with 17,000 employees and 414,000 volunteers! (Please re-read that statement.) The purpose of the lobby is to influence the US government to serve its foreign-policy objectives and fund its military.
[It is understandable that the Israel government would desire this outcome, but it is unfortunate that the Israel lobby seeks to label those who criticize this relationship as "Anti-Semitic”. That is like saying anyone who criticizes US foreign policy or monetary policy is anti-American. For this commentary, we expect to be called, if not outright anti-Semitic, then at least unfair. It is true that, to be totally fair, we would need to run articles on the horrendous actions of other governments as well – and, in fact that is exactly what we do. However, since we are limited in space, we have to pick those news stories and those countries that have the most impact on the world. That means, countries that have the most impact on global conflicts and economics. That’s the only reason we report on the Israeli government at all – or, for that matter, on the actions of the US government as well. In summary, we are not anti-Israel or anti-America. We are anti-corruption and aggressive war. Period!] -GEG

Source: https://needtoknow.news/2018/03/many-politicians-can-buy-6-3-billion-dollars/

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Top US General Says American Troops Should Be Ready To Die For Israel

by Tyler Durden
Mon, 03/19/2018 - 22:20

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..." This is the oath of enlistment that every American military service member or federal employee takes upon entry into government service (with slight variation for commissioned officers).

With the largest joint U.S.-Israeli air defense exercise ever conducted having recently concluded, which involved over 2,500 American service personnel, and in the midst of heightened Israeli involvement in the Syrian war, we find ourselves asking...

Are US troops ready to fight and to die for America’s Israel's defense? ...We think not, but there are US generals out there enthusiastically promoting the idea.

Brig.-Gen Zvika Haimovitch, the head of the IDF's Aerial Defense Division and US Air Force 3rd AF Commander Lt. Gen. Richard Clark. Image source: Jerusalem Post.

Earlier this month, in the midst of the 9th annual 12-day massive joint exercise named "Juniper Cobra" which was hailed in Israeli media as the largest of its kind, simulating a "battle on three fronts" (namely, Syria-Lebanon-Gaza Strip) US Third Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. Richard Clark spelled out just such a scenario wherein US troops could be asked to fight and to die for defense of America Israel - even to the point of being placed under Israeli commanders responsible for battlefield decision making.

While major joint military exercises involving significant troop deployments are nothing new for the US and its allies (Juniper Cobra itself has been conducted annually for nearly a decade), Lt. Gen. Clark's words to Israeli media are truly precedent setting and shocking, especially as he is among the highest ranking military officers in the US armed forces.

It is well worth reading the alarming scenario Gen. Clark laid out while speaking to the Jerusalem Post in its entirety:

“The United States and Israel enjoy a strong and enduring military-to-military partnership built on a trust that has been developed over decades of cooperation,” said USAF Third Air Force commander Lt.-Gen. Richard Clark, who also serves as the commander for the deploying Joint Task Force – Israel.
“The Juniper Cobra exercises continue to strengthen this relationship, providing us with the opportunity to bolster interoperability and develop seamless integration with our Israeli partners.”
According to Clark, the US and Israeli troops will work side-by-side under each other’s relevant chain of command.

But this is where Clark pushes far across the normative "military-to-military partnership" characteristic of joint drills with other allied nations. He says that US troops should be prepared to die for the Jewish State:

“As far as decision-making, it is a partnership,” he continued, stressing nonetheless that “at the end of the day it is about the protection of Israel – and if there is a question in regards to how we will operate, the last vote will probably go to Zvika [Brig.-Gen. Zvika Haimovitch, head of the IDF's Aerial Defense Division].”
Washington and Israel have signed an agreement which would see the US come to assist Israel with missile defense in times of war and, according to [Israeli commander] Haimovitch, "I am sure once the order comes we will find here US troops on the ground to be part of our deployment team to defend the State of Israel."
And those US troops who would be deployed to Israel, are prepared to die for the Jewish state, Clark said. "We are ready to commit to the defense of Israel anytime we get involved in a kinetic fight there is always the risk that there will be casualties. But we accept that - as every conflict we train for and enter, there is always that possibility," he said.

And it appears that both military leaders are in agreement on this point - that they are ready and willing to put US troops in harm's way in pursuit of Israeli defense policy.

Disturbingly, Clark acknowledges willingness for life-and-death battlefield decisions impacting American soldiers to be placed in the hands of the Israeli chain of command in saying: "if there is a question in regards to how we will operate, the last vote will probably go to [Israeli General] Zvika."

While in more stable times in the Middle East, Clark's words might possibly be dismissed as hyperbole and misplaced enthusiasm for "the mission" - his words come as Israel is already actively involved on two fronts: Gaza and Syria. And according to many analysts and reports, including one recently leaked internal Israeli defense memo, Israel is ramping up for devastating engagement along a third front as Tel Aviv continues to view Lebanese Hezbollah to its north as the prime threat to Israeli security.

Should broader war break out between Israel, Hezbollah, Iran, and Syria, will US troops who find themselves working closely with the IDF be forced to obey the commands of Israeli generals, even to the point of death? We can't find anything in the oath of enlistment or the Constitution [federal statute in 10 U.S.C. 502, and based in Article VI of the Constitution] that requires US citizens or soldiers to defend and fight for a foreign nation.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...ys-american-troops-should-be-ready-die-israel

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Fuck that Air Force puke. He is a traitor to the US Constitution and a failure to understand what he is supposed to be doing.
He is also ignorant of current mutual defense treaties.
Here is a link to U.S. Collective Defense Arrangements.
https://www.state.gov/s/l/treaty/collectivedefense/

Go ahead and look. Show me Israel on that list. It's not there. However, if you do a web search, you will see plenty of articles advocating such a treaty, NOW.

Here is a map of US Defense Treaties, Washington Post. Note Israel is not on there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...a-quarter-of-humanity/?utm_term=.e1878c5a1410

However, in the text there is this "give away":

Beckley also includes two countries where no formal defense agreement has been signed (Israel and Taiwan), arguing that the Taiwan Relations Act and American pledges to support Israel act as de facto pledges of support.

Yeah, the bottom line is we do not have a defense pact with Israel. This general needs to shut his mouth and stop trying to be a politician. We have civilian control of the military and, right or wrong, it will be civilian government that decides who we help defend or don't. He actually needs to be publicly rebuked, relieved of his command, and forced to retire.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Just a reminder...

In 1974 CIA Said Israel Had A-Bombs That Could Hit Its Neighbors

Grant Smith
AntiWar.com
Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:50 UTC

© The New York Times
New York Times story from January 26, 1978 on the declassification of the “Summary and Conclusions” of SNIE 4-1-74
Newly released details link Israel's highly enriched uranium to Pennsylvania plant

The Central Intelligence Agency believed that by 1974 Israel could strike all of its bordering countries with nuclear-tipped two-stage Jericho missiles. Israel was viewed by CIA as a proliferation threat via sales of turn-key nuclear weapons systems to its close allies such as apartheid South Africa. This was corroborated in year 2012 news reports revealing Israeli sales contracts. Although the now-defunct Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) demurred, the CIA also believed that a substantial quantity of weapons-grade highly-enriched uranium (HEU) was diverted from the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation (NUMEC) in Apollo, Pennsylvania to Dimona for weapons production. These stunning new revelations are contained in the top-secret report Special National Intelligence Estimate, "Prospects for Further Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons" otherwise known as the 1974 SNIE.

The National Security Archive at George Washington University obtained a heavily redacted version of the SNIE in 2008. Earlier the CIA accidentally released an excised version of the 1974 SNIE conclusions, which became the basis for the New York Times front page story, "C.I.A. said in 1974 Israel had A-Bombs." Late in 2017, responding to a broad year 2009 IRmep FOIA request for a variety of Israeli nuclear weapons program related files, the CIA released the least-redacted SNIE version yet (PDF) which included additional details on the Israeli and Indian nuclear weapons programs, including a map of the estimated range of Israel's Jericho nuclear missile. Also review side-by-side comparisons of the 2008 and 2017 releases of the 1974 SNIE. (PDF)

1 Israeli Jericho Missile, 1974 SNIE released 12/07/2017, page 24
The CIA believed both India and Israel were "potential sources of assistance relevant to nuclear weapons proliferation." The CIA did not believe that Israel would openly help foreign countries with nuclear weapons development because they were "highly dependent on the U.S. for critical military items." But exports of complete "turnkey" delivery systems including nuclear warheads could help the Israelis keep the Jericho missile production line from shutting down. The CIA stated in a previously redacted paragraph that, "The Israelis have close ties both to Taipei and to South Africa and we cannot rule out bilateral or trilateral cooperation in the nuclear weapons field."

Researcher Sasha Polakow-Suransky confirmed in 2012 that in 1975 Israel's then-defense minister Shimon Perez offered nuclear-tipped Jerichos "in three sizes" in a sales contract to apartheid South Africa's PW Botha. But the CIA appears to have been mistaken about Israel's willingness to assist foreign country weapons development. It is commonly believed among experts that the 1979 "Vela incident" was a joint Israeli-South Africa nuclear test in the Indian Ocean. However, in 2016 former Nuclear Regulatory Commission Commissioner Victor Gilinsky elaborated in Haaretz that many American nuclear officials considered it to be an Israeli tactical nuclear weapons test.

That Israel "has gone to great effort to obtain uranium concentrate. It has sought this material clandestinely..." was stated in a section of the SNIE released in 2008. But newly-released CIA information in the SNIE clearly ties Israel's acquisition of uranium to an unlawful covert diversion from the Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation, NUMEC, located in Apollo, Pennsylvania in a footnoted paragraph:

"It also is likely that the Israelis acquired a quantity of weapons grade uranium some years ago, in which case they would only have had to fabricate the weapons in order to have a small stockpile."

This clearly references the NUMEC diversion or "Apollo affair" because the now-defunct Atomic Energy Commission was allowed to issue a formal dissent in a formerly-redacted footnote:

"The Assistant General Manager for National Security, Atomic Energy Commission has no information that would support this statement. He notes, however, that his reservation on this statement does not constitute disagreement with the overall judgment of Israel's nuclear weapons program."

The footnote is consistent with the AEC's long denial that NUMEC, which it licensed, regulated and provided with tons of dual-use material under government contracts, was an Israeli smuggling front "from the beginning" as two high CIA officials familiar with NUMEC claimed.

In the mid-1960s the AEC discovered massive losses of highly enriched uranium and cover-ups of losses at NUMEC. In 1968 an Israeli covert operations team, presenting false credentials to the AEC, but using their real names (Rafi Eitan, Ephraim Beigon and Abraham Bendor), penetrated NUMEC with the assistance of the plant's owners.

Former AEC commissioner, Glenn Seaborg, when told in 1978 by Department of Energy staffers that traces of the material from NUMEC had been picked up outside Dimona, later refused to meet with FBI investigators. By 1980, the FBI obtained an eyewitness account of diversion from the plant's loading dock that occurred in the mid-1960s overseen by NUMEC president Zalman Shapiro.

No indictments were ever filed. After initially warning the Department of Justice about the diversion in 1968, the CIA withheld evidence from the FBI about why it was certain the diversion had occurred, according to documents released in 2015 via a FOIA lawsuit. Author and investigator Jefferson Morley, suggested in a 2018 presentation about the CIA-Mossad relationship that such instances of the CIA "looking the other way" may have been a result of the long-term, intense cultivation of rising officials such as James Angleton as well as the CIA's desire for reliable intelligence on the Soviet Union obtained by Israel.

The SNIE contains much additional information about the CIA's assessment of why Israel so badly wanted nuclear weapons as well as previously unreleased analysis of India's program. The long-delayed release comes at an interesting time, as both the US and Israel allegedly signed a secret memorandum of understanding to pursue Iran through covert actions asserting - with no evidence - that Iran has a nuclear weapons program.

The US Supreme Court recently refused to hear an appeal by 70-plus Apollo-area plaintiffs that sued the current owners of NUMEC. The Plaintiffs alleged in an 8-year federal legal battle that the shoddily-run plant caused their cancers. NUMEC's former plant sites are undergoing an on-again, off-again cleanup that may last until 2031 and ultimately cost US taxpayers half a billion dollars.

Grant F. Smith is the author of the book Divert! NUMEC, Zalman Shapiro and the diversion of US weapons-grade uranium into the Israeli nuclear weapons program. He is director of the Institute for Research: Middle Eastern Policy in Washington, D.C.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Based on past Israeli operations against neighbor's nuclear facilities, the neighbors of Israel would be fully justified in attacking and destroying Israeli nuclear facilities.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Weren't all wars, religious wars, until they were found to be profitable & the MIC took over ?

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Weren't all wars, religious wars, until they were found to be profitable & the MIC took over ?
That was normally the rallying cry, but I think tribal had something to do with it, territorial also, but as religion became big business it was about power and control. I think of religion as the public reason to motivate the masses, but riches power and control was what is really behind most wars in the past. Joe the serf may have been motivated by religion, but his masters were after something else. Just like ISIS in Syria - the masters behind Moe Mohammed got some reason beyond religion to finance the fighting.