• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

It was a normal day until the pizza attacked.....post surgery update now with added picture

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

This just recently happened to my wife. She was in the hospital for 6 days and took about 2-3 weeks to heal from surgery, but she felt somewhat "normal" again.

She said the pain was excruciating. She said it was like she swallowed a ball of fire.
I feel her pain. Hope she has a good recovery. It sounds like they took hers out "hot" hence the hospital stay. They told me if they had to take mine when I was under attack they would have to cut me more and recovery would be longer. As it is they are telling me I won't be able (allowed) to lift over 5 lbs for a month. But surgery recovery is only 1-2 days.

Last edited:

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I feel her pain. Hope she has a good recovery. It sounds like they took hers out "hot" hence the hospital stay. They told me if they had to take mine when I was under attack they would have to cut me more and recovery would be longer. As it is they are telling me I won't be able (allowed) to lift over 5 lbs for a month. But surgery recovery is only 1-2 days.
Following my UROLIFT Procedure I was also told not to lift over 5 LBS for two weeks. My neighbor was kind enough to take out my trash and
do any lifting I needed. See if you can get a friend or two to assist you for a few weeks.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have something better than that, I have a "wife". I'm going to be lucky if she even lets me lift a newspaper.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Here's what I'm dealing with. Funny story. When I proposed, 24 years ago, I didn't know the shape of stone she preferred. So I bought her a ring with a fake diamond. I told her then, it was fake and that I'd replace it later with a real diamond. So here we are 24 yrs later and she won't let me buy her a ring with a real diamond. She says "this is fine". So here we are. I'll be lucky if I'm going to be allowed to lift a newspaper without a doctor's note.

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
As it is they are telling me I won't be able (allowed) to lift over 5 lbs for a month. But surgery recovery is only 1-2 days.

They told my wife 10lbs and it was crucial. She didn't follow this advise and it took longer to heal because of it. We have a baby, so telling a mom she cant pick up her baby is next to impossible.

Last edited:

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
My sister had hers taken out and chose to stay in the hospital for that exact reason. She had a 3yr old at the time and wanted more time to recover.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
So here we are 10/6 with surgery just over the horizon (10/21). Can't say I'm looking forward to it, even with all the discomfort (had 2 more attacks) and what-not. My diet now is mostly salad with chicken. I'm like a rabbit carnivore, lol. Since July 1, I've lost 20 lbs. Well that's not really a bad thing....

Had my pre-op physical yesterday. Had a bunch of tests: chest x-ray, ekg, peed into the cup, took blood (the good part), got poked and prodded, got the flu jab as my doctor didn't want me to go into surgery without it (groan). I was planning on skipping the flu shot this year, oh well.

But the good part was the taking of the blood. I'm ok except my RDW is a little high. But it's only high because they changed the range of acceptability. So not really a problem but something else to watch now. sigh. So back to the blood. They also tested my A1C. In 3 short months I reduced the reading from 6.2 to 5.8 (normal is <=5.7). I am stoked!. I reduced my carb intake with the sole reason of reducing my A1C. In the process I lost 20 lbs. So all is good. I was listed as low-mid risk for surgery due to my hypertension issues.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I'd say you had a lot of damn gall, but I guess that isn't true any more!

Glad to hear you are on the other side of anesthesia....

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Nope still on the wrong side. Surgery not until 10/21.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If any of you had a gallbladder attack you know the pain is crippling.

I self diagnosed myself with this problem. I was stuck in the snow somewhere last year for a few days and I kept eating a lot of Popeyes shrimp along with some other fast foods in the area.

The pain was bad. I thought I had a liver problem, then I looked up that the liver has no pain receptors.

It was so bad that I honestly thought I was going to die, then it got worse and I wanted to die. I couldn’t even walk right. It was the worst pain in my life by far and it has caused me to make better choices about what I eat.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Surgery was 10/21/21. I'm home in recovery mode. I ended up getting cut more than normal as my surgeon said my gallbladder was larger as it had a lot of stones in it and he needed more room to get it out. The cut was 1-1/2" long vs the 1/2" it should have been. Cut was through muscle so recovery will be longer than normal. If I cough, pain is thru the roof. I'll post pictures of my bandages in a few days. Very pretty.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Surgery was 10/21/21. I'm home in recovery mode. I ended up getting cut more than normal as my surgeon said my gallbladder was larger as it had a lot of stones in it and he needed more room to get it out. The cut was 1-1/2" long vs the 1/2" it should have been. Cut was through muscle so recovery will be longer than normal. If I cough, pain is thru the roof. I'll post pictures of my bandages in a few days. Very pretty.
hope your feeling better....

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Hoping for a speedy recovery. (And don't take advantage of the wife's kindness.)
Best wishes.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Pictures of the scars man! It's almost Halloween!

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Out-fargin-standing.

Glad yer back. Umm... try not to sneeze. :nurse:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Glad to hear all went well and your in recovery phase now..
Reading through all this makes me want to make better eating choices. ..

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Pictures of the scars man! It's almost Halloween!
one of the best parties I went to was where a bunch of old folks got drunk and showed all their surgical scars. :rotf:

Last edited:

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
one of the best parties I went to was where a bunch of old folks got drunk and showed all their surgical scars. :rotf:
I can see it now....

"wanna see my vasectomy scar?"

Au-myn

Goldbug
Founding Member
Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. I missed your recovery post.

Glad to hear you are well. I hope you have a swift recovery, young man...Keep on Truckin'

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
surgeryl.gif

The 4 areas of cotton are the incisions.

I was a bit bloated due to the fluids (2 bags) I had dripped into me and I was told to stop my water pill prior to surgery. Three of the four cuts are almost invisible now except for the big one at the top (center). He's very visible, rather sensitive and there's large bruising all around him. He's going to take a while.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I'm currently on a low carb diet to get my A1C lower. It's still in the pre range but it's gone up since my last physical (last year pre-covid). The diet working well as I've lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks. My blood pressure is now well under 120/80 also. Well, they had a (free) pizza for lunch day at the office. So I decided to have a cheat day. If you're doing low carb diet, pizza is not your friend. But I decided to throw caution to the wind and have 2 slices of really greasy pizza. A few hours later I was in severe abdominal pain. So bad they called 911 for me. I got to ride in the ambulance and got "rock star" attention in the ER.

Long story - short. Gallbladder attack. Next step is the OR to get the bad boy removed. If any of you had a gallbladder attack you know the pain is crippling. My attack lasted for about 25-30 min.
MRIs show I got small little slivers in my gallbladder. So far so good (knock on wood).

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Here's what I'm dealing with. Funny story. When I proposed, 24 years ago, I didn't know the shape of stone she preferred. So I bought her a ring with a fake diamond. I told her then, it was fake and that I'd replace it later with a real diamond. So here we are 24 yrs later and she won't let me buy her a ring with a real diamond. She says "this is fine". So here we are. I'll be lucky if I'm going to be allowed to lift a newspaper without a doctor's note.
Well, there should be a St. Gaudens, GAE, or a Buffalo out their for the family bank. That is a GREAT women ya got there MrL.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
He's a regular cut up that guy Mr. Lucky!

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I second this... Get well soon!
Third! Get well soon man. I had one of those too, the Monday before Thanksgiving one year, and I got all my fookin turkey down that year despite my uneasy digestive system

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
You're lucky.

I'm sorry, I can't be helped!

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
A little "internal" learning for the masses.

The liver creates bile and stores it in the gallbladder. There it is concentrated. When the body senses foods that have a high fat content it asks the gallbladder to send some of the good stuff. The gallbladder contracts and squeezes the solution into the duodenum (the tube that leads to the stomach). Gallstones can form in the gallbladder and restrict flow. (which is my issue). Moderate eating of low fat foods can regulate this, but I'm told the best action is to remove it as it never gets better.

What are the typical symptoms of a gallbladder issue?

One of the most common symptoms of a gallbladder issue is pain. This pain can:
  • come on suddenly
  • intensify quickly
  • occur in the upper right area of your abdomen, but may also be felt in the upper right part of your back
  • happen following a meal, often in the evening hours
  • last a varying amount of time, from minutes to hours
Other indications that you may have a gallbladder issue are digestive symptoms. These can include nausea and vomiting.
They took mine out as they are doing shotgun maintanance on my gut trying to figure out the cause of crippling pain , ? The ejection fraction on it was low

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
They took mine out as they are doing shotgun maintanance on my gut trying to figure out the cause of crippling pain , ? The ejection fraction on it was low
How'd it go at Mayo Clinic?

chris_is_here

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I've done some dumb things in my time, but the smartest move I ever did was to have the gallbladder removed. The pain used to make me long for death, I would literally pound my head against the wall when the attacks came. There is no comfortable position and no respite when they hit and mine used to last for hours at a time.

I was warned by the surgeon to avoid fatty foods as much as possible sine I would have less bile to break down fats, but honestly, I eat anything and everything now and have no issues.

Goldhedge

Retired
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 2.31.38 PM.png

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I learned a lot in this thread. Thanks for sharing Mr Lucky.
Several months ago I had some pain and had to consult my Dr. (Web MD) I finally figured out it was probably gallbladder related. Haven't had any issues since so hopefully it was just a fluke. Or maybe a warning shot.. In time I will know for sure but that pain definitely sucked.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
They will put a drip in you. As soon as you feel a "coolness" in your arm, be SURE you are looking at a clock (they are ubiquitous in these places). STAY concentrated on the clock. I you are really lucky, you will see the clock dissolve Salvador Dali style:

View attachment 223394

With better than twenty tries, I hit the jackpot three fargin times. So KEWL!

Oh. And if you miss, you will wake up instantly. There will be absolutely zerio subjective passing of time. Weird.
I remember feeling the coolness. When I commented on it, the anesthesiologist said it was the pain killers she was putting in me before the knock-out juice. Sorry, didn't see a clock. The last thing I remember was talking to the surgeon when he said "ready"? The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. And yes, it seemed instantaneous, even though 3 hrs had passed.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I learned a lot in this thread. Thanks for sharing Mr Lucky.
Several months ago I had some pain and had to consult my Dr. (Web MD) I finally figured out it was probably gallbladder related. Haven't had any issues since so hopefully it was just a fluke. Or maybe a warning shot.. In time I will know for sure but that pain definitely sucked.
Consider it a warning shot over the bow. Keep an eye on it. Watch for an attack after you eat (a lot of) fatty or creamy foods. It it repeats, you'll have a good idea what the problem is. If you continue to get pains, consider seeing someone other than WebMD for a confirmation before you end up in emergency. The surgeon at ER said "this never gets better, it only gets worse". Getting it taken out in an ER situation had more risks (to you) than taking it out on a schedule.

I've read these "gallbladder flushes" noted here and elsewhere and would never consider them. But to each, their own. Case if point. I read my pathology report. If I did a flush, the procedure rather violently forces the stones out of the gall bladder. The report said the diameter of my gallbladder exit tube was 0.2 cm. My stones (several of them) were multifaceted (not round and smooth) and were 0.2 cm to 0.5 cm in diameter! Just think of the pain if one of them got stuck in the tube during the flush! Bile being forced through a tube with a plug in it. No thanks. Not for me.

FADEAWAY

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I'm currently on a low carb diet to get my A1C lower. It's still in the pre range but it's gone up since my last physical (last year pre-covid). The diet working well as I've lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks. My blood pressure is now well under 120/80 also. Well, they had a (free) pizza for lunch day at the office. So I decided to have a cheat day. If you're doing low carb diet, pizza is not your friend. But I decided to throw caution to the wind and have 2 slices of really greasy pizza. A few hours later I was in severe abdominal pain. So bad they called 911 for me. I got to ride in the ambulance and got "rock star" attention in the ER.

Long story - short. Gallbladder attack. Next step is the OR to get the bad boy removed. If any of you had a gallbladder attack you know the pain is crippling. My attack lasted for about 25-30 min.

I have heard they are a real biatch and almost as bad as passing a kidney stone aka barbwire baby (: my sympathy goes out to you.