• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

I've got a crush on the Ruger LCR

strat81

BTW... before someone tries to recommend the similar S&W models I'll just make two things clear:

1. I'll never buy a S&W after how they sold out to the anti-gun crowd many years ago.
:confused:

You are aware that ol' Bill Ruger is quoted as saying "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds" and that was why >10 rd mags were not available for the Mini-14 unless you were LE until about 2 or 3 three years ago? Indeed, despite the end of the AWB, Ruger had a policy of No Twenty Round mags for civies. Ruger also consciously ignored the CCW market until about that same time. They also didn't offer a >10 rd mag for the 10/22 until about 2-3 years ago.

But, times change, and so do companies. S&W is no longer owned by the group that "sold out", and is now publicly traded. Ruger has embraced CCW, large mags, and even AR-15s. Heck, they even sell stuff that is suppressor-ready.

I'm not saying you need a S&W (I don't even own a S&W, but I do have a Ruger Redhawk). I'm just saying not to discount them because of past problems created by people no longer with the company.

:)

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker
I'm puzzled by the appeal of the LCR over, say, the Scandium or even Aluminum J-Frame. Sure, the Ruger is a very nice gun, but why choose plastic when metal is available? Price? Perhaps. But I'll take the permanency of metal over plastic any day.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
QUOTE: I'll never buy a S&W after how they sold out to the anti-gun crowd many years ago

Well, S&W was owned by a British company (Tomkins plc) at the time...

SC

Shortstack

Bain of the Authoritarian Follower
Gold Chaser
My Rohrbaugh 9mm does not print at all. Light weight an super thin. Trigger is simply awsome, but the price is steep, especially my model, one of only 90 guns they had sent off to the Robar factory, finished on every part, including the trigger and hammer. Does not need a drop of oil. The finish is that good. I can't quite get my ring finger on the grip, but I shoot it better with one hand than two...

I do love the Ruger LCR, or the Taurus Tom posted for a small revolver. I think that is the next weapon I will get.

Attachments

strat81

I'm puzzled by the appeal of the LCR over, say, the Scandium or even Aluminum J-Frame. Sure, the Ruger is a very nice gun, but why choose plastic when metal is available? Price? Perhaps. But I'll take the permanency of metal over plastic any day.
Price is certainly a factor for most of us.

Another interesting thing about the LCR is the trigger. It is pretty different in feel compared to the SP-101, 642, 342, and pretty much every other revolver out there. I can't say I've ever fired a 642 or 342 with a "nice" trigger and, to me, the LCR is a bit better. YMMV.

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
If you read <SLV> posts, he is concerned about every ounce of additional weight. While weight is not as much factor to me, think about all the new jet aircraft they make all composit and stronger than steel. I may be 59 years old but I'm not stuck in the past.

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker
If you read <SLV> posts, he is concerned about every ounce of additional weight. While weight is not as much factor to me, think about all the new jet aircraft they make all composit and stronger than steel. I may be 59 years old but I'm not stuck in the past.
LCR = 13.5 ounces

S&W 340 = 11.4 ounces

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker

strat81

Complete failure in design. .44 Magnum in a brittle Rare Earth alloy? WTF?! .44 Magnum puts strain on the best stainless steels!

Oh, and BTW, try firing a plastic .44 Magnum LCR. Wait, they don't make one. I wonder why? LOL

LCR failure:

It should be noted the above pic of the LCR is cracked/ruptured in the metal portion of the gun, not the plastic.

The other tricky issue about pictures of any kaboom is not knowing what the circumstances were surrounding the KB. It is very possible (and likely) the above was caused by an ammo problem. A squib followed by a regular round, or an overcharged handload could be responsible. Both of those can cause serious problems for any firearm, handgun, rifle, semi-automatic, or manual action.

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

The Ruger LCR .357 is a beefed-up version of the original .38 Special LCR. It features a monolithic frame made of 4000 series blackened stainless steel that completely encloses the 1.875” barrel. Attached to the monolithic frame is the piece that has the purists up in arms and holds all the parts that make the LCR go bang: the polymer fire control housing. Ruger reckons the polymer housing cuts down on weight and soaks up recoil.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/ryan-finn/gun-review-ruger-lcr-357-revolver/

orovicino

Seeker
Seeker

The Ruger LCR .357 is a beefed-up version of the original .38 Special LCR. It features a monolithic frame made of 4000 series blackened stainless steel that completely encloses the 1.875” barrel. Attached to the monolithic frame is the piece that has the purists up in arms and holds all the parts that make the LCR go bang: the polymer fire control housing. Ruger reckons the polymer housing cuts down on weight and soaks up recoil.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/ryan-finn/gun-review-ruger-lcr-357-revolver/

:cool1:.NICE BUT FOR CONCEALED CARRY, AND PERSONAL PROTECTION, THE PORTED, TITANIUM DOUBLE TAP .45 IS MY BODY GUARD..:s1:

Garyw

The Military gave me Defoliant Exposure
Silver Miner
I am excited about my new to me 1960 Crosman 600 semi auto Pellet pistol. which will shoot 10 pells as fast as you can pull the trigger. Crosman claimed 10 pells delivered in 3 seconds.

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I'm a fan of Rugers (most makes and models)
Hard to argue a S&W 360ss (loaded 357 at under a pound)

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Nice gun rte but that hammer would give me problems pocket carrying.

Bx3

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The 340 was my choice for a snuby. Interestingly there is an outer clear coat that has flaked on mine. Hasn't affected reliability at all just asthetics. I prefer to carry the +Ps in it over the magnums however. Bx3

Al K. Hall

Silver Miner
Seeker
The 340 was my choice for a snuby. Interestingly there is an outer clear coat that has flaked on mine. Hasn't affected reliability at all just asthetics. I prefer to carry the +Ps in it over the magnums however. Bx3
You should contact S&W about the coating...if you're willing to let it go on a vacation for a few weeks.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Comparison with S&W on the range:

Last edited by a moderator:

rte

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Nice gun rte but that hammer would give me problems pocket carrying.
I didn't enter into the decision lightly (hunted all over for a year looking to get a 340) then figured the exposed hammer is just one more option to have.
An Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster takes care of the exposed hammer issue (barring shooting thru the pocket) which I wouldn't be doing anyway.

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Well I got my "tupperware" Ruger LCR .357 and I likes it! Shoots .38 no problemo and .357 sting a litlle no big deal. When I conceal carry I will always have .357s in it.

I recently bought the LCR 38 model. I'm very happy with it, I bought a pocket holster and added the boot grip, to lighten it even further. What sold me was the trigger pull. I've only been able to shoot it once, at first my shots were all over the target at 15 yards. With a little practice, they got better and tighter. Now, I'm not a good shot anyways. I took my glock 27 to compare. At 15 yards, all my shots were within 6-8 inches. But, I'm more comfortable and have trained more with the Glock.

With the LCR, as with any gun, you'll need to practice with it. That being said, the recoil is very manageable. With standard range ammo, 38 special, I could shoot this gun all day. The +P I tried, Hornady, definitely you can feel more snap, but it's still not bad. You could fire all 5 rounds easily with the +P and stay on target if you take the time to practice.

In short, great little conceal gun. It should be bought for that purpose.

PROS: Very lightweight, well built, fits in your pocket without you even noticing. The trigger is excellent.

CONS: Takes some practice to get competent. But that could be said about any gun, imo.