• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Japan will have to dump radioactive water into Pacific

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
Japan will have to dump radioactive water into Pacific as Fukushima runs out of storage tanks

Julian Ryall,The Telegraph 7 hours ago

The operator of the crippled Fukushima nuclear plant will have no choice but to release more than 1 million tons of radioactive water into the Pacific Ocean, Japan’s environment minister said on Tuesday.
“The only option will be to drain it into the sea and dilute it”, Yoshiaki Harada said in a news briefing in Tokyo. “The whole of the government will discuss this, but I would like to offer my simple opinion.”
A government spokesman attempted to row back on the comments later in the day. "It is not true that we have decided on the disposal method," Chief Cabinet Minister Yoshihide Suga told reporters.
Three of the six reactors at the plant suffered melt-throughs after a magnitude-9 earthquake struck off the coast of north-east Japan in March 2011. The tremor caused a series of tsunami that knocked out the cooling system, leading to the second-worst nuclear disaster after Chernobyl.
Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) has collected water used to keep the fuel cores from melting and groundwater that has seeped into the basement levels of the plant.
Tepco has claimed that the water only contains tritium, an isotope of hydrogen that is difficult to separate but poses little danger to human health. Government documents leaked to The Telegraph last year show that the water still contains radioactive material - including strontium, iodine, rhodium and cobalt - well above legally permitted levels.

Tepco employees are seen inside the tsunami-crippled plant Credit: Issei Kato/ REUTERS
The water is presently stored in hundreds of tanks at the site, although the Japanese government has commissioned a panel to determine a more permanent solution.
Government estimates suggest that the site will reach capacity for tanks in the summer of 2022 and that there are a number of options. As well as simply releasing water that has been treated to reduce radiation levels into the sea, the government is considering burying it in concrete pits well below the surface or injecting it into deep geological strata.
Local residents and fishermen have already expressed their strong opposition to releasing the water into the ocean, while the South Korean government has written to the International Atomic Energy Agency to request that it find “a safe way to handle radioactive water from the Fukushima plant.”
Greenpeace has issued a strongly worded statement condemning Mr Harada’s proposal. The minister’s statement “is wholly inaccurate - both scientifically and politically”, the statement said.
“The Japanese government has been presented with technical options, including from US nuclear companies, for removing radioactive tritium from the contaminated water - so far it has chosen for financial and political reasons to ignore these.
“The government must commit to the only environmentally acceptable option for managing this water crisis, which is long-term storage and processing to remove radioactivity, including tritium”.

Any green light from the government to dump the waste into the sea would anger neighbours such as South Korea, which summoned a senior Japanese embassy official last month to explain how the Fukushima water would be dealt with.
"We’re just hoping to hear more details of the discussions that are under way in Tokyo so that there won’t be a surprise announcement,” a South Korean diplomat told Reuters, requesting anonymity due to the sensitivity of bilateral ties.
South Korea's foreign ministry said in a statement said it had asked Japan "to take a wise and prudent decision on the issue".
Relations between the East Asian nations are already frosty following a dispute over compensation for Koreans forced to work in Japanese factories in World War Two.
Environmental groups caution that radionuclides can build up in fish and shellfish, for example, and strontium in the bones of small fish that might be consumed by humans would potentially be a serious concern. If ingested by humans, strontium 90 concentrates in teeth and bones and can cause bone cancer or leukaemia.
Fish caught off the plant immediately after the 2011 disaster were found to be high in radioactivity, although concentrations have dissipated as the radionuclides get taken further afield by currents and tides. Opponents of the plan agree that radiation levels will be diluted in the ocean, but they argue that the best course of action would be not to deliberately release any more into the environment so there is no impact on human health.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-dump-radioactive-water-pacific-091557944.html

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Is this in addition to the millions of gallons of radioactive water leaching from the ground into the sea that they AREN'T catching?

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
All of us that have followed this over the years knew this day is coming...and this doesnt even mention the fact that they never did find the cores - but have to continually pump water underground to cool the cores - wherever they may be. Or that they found one of the cores (or a part of it) but they cant build a robot that can survive the levels of radiation that shit gives off...

This is a complete shitshow in slow motion. And bad options abound...

Imagine injecting the irradiated water underground...on a seismically active island...along the ring of fire. What could possibly go wrong - other than all that water being ejected during the next earthquake or volcano...irradiated showers for everyone...

Pumping it into the Pacific makes the most sense. Its cheap and easy...

But - considering the elevated readings along our Pacific coast - I imagine they have been dumping this shit into the ocean since it happened...

This is a problem that Japan will have to deal with somehow for a very, very long time...

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter
just for reference,

the US has had a nuc boo boo
russia has a couple of them to their credit
throw in a jap one

there is some history to go with regarding all of this,

as of yet, we have not seen exceptionally long term and significant damages from them in a macro scale,
unless of course, all evidence of it is being wiped,

Strawboss

Home Improvement Sales Trainee...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
just for reference,

throw in a jap one

as of yet, we have not seen exceptionally long term and significant damages from them in a macro scale,
The Chernobyl is still a mess - they just built a better containment dome. How long it lasts until it has to be covered by an even bigger one is anyones guess...

Sort of reminds me of the oil spill in the Gulf a few years ago...where they used a HUGE amount of Corexit to keep the oil flowing from the wellhead at the bottom of the Gulf. To this day... I am sure there was no negative impact on the ecosystem, fish, etc...

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I am still eating raw tuna ! Are we being lied to about the life span of radiation? :make happy::don't    know2::gracious:

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
let the water evaporate, the radiation will remain behind

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
the South Korean government has written to the International Atomic Energy Agency to request that it find “a safe way to handle radioactive water from the Fukushima plant.”
Is there a safe way to handle it?

We've had more than one. Look up the Santa Susanna laboratory acciddent that happened about 30 miles from downtown LA in 1959
Supposedly there was more than 200 times the amount of iodine131 released there, than was released at three mile island.
...and there have other "boo boos" and nuclear incidents most people have never heard of.

let the water evaporate, the radiation will remain behind
The radiation is in the water itself. Releasing it into the air via evaporation will end up with the same result as dumping it into the ocean.
Ie: the radioactive particles becoming a part of the Earth's water cycle.

Wellsburg

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I don't believe that humans are advanced enough to be playing with nuclear shit yet, maybe in another few hundred years. These scientists have figured out how to start the reactors, but cannot shut them down when something goes wrong. I remain 100% against nuke reactors.

We don't need nuclear power, we have plenty of coal, oil, gas, hydro, etc. which will not kill all of mankind if an accident happens. Tired of hearing about CO2, global warming, and climate change. That whole conversation is BS and I am a DENIER FOREVER. Furthermore, where are we going to store all of those "spent rods" for the next 5,000 years? In a cave out in Nevada somewhere? Been hearing about that for the past 50 years.

Chernobyl was the first big WAKE UP call. Fukushima is the second big one.

Where will the third one happen? What if New York City or Paris or London ends up uninhabitable for the next 20,000 years? Was it worth it?

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
just for reference,

throw in a jap one

No evidence wiped....you, me. everyone here, ALL Canadians, ALL Americans are ALL LIVING proof that macro scale projections were WRONG. As of earlier this year, maybe around March, I'm eating shrimp again. Projections were for high rates of cancers, especially along the west coast, ALL age groups, 7 years from first Fukushima Daichi explosions. If it's happening I haven't seen it.

Alton

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Is there a safe way to handle it?

We've had more than one. Look up the Santa Susanna laboratory acciddent that happened about 30 miles from downtown LA in 1959
Supposedly there was more than 200 times the amount of iodine131 released there, than was released at three mile island.
...and there have other "boo boos" and nuclear incidents most people have never heard of.

The radiation is in the water itself. Releasing it into the air via evaporation will end up with the same result as dumping it into the ocean.
Mmmm! Great way to spice up your glyposate and geoengineering (aka: chemtrails) particulate! Nothing like being well fed guinea pigs and sheep!

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Put the water thru a desalinator and sell it in bowls of ramen to the chinese. Give them a free pack of cigs with every bowl.

Professur

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
The lie of it is ... Ontario nuclear operates a plant that separates out tritium from contaminated coolant, and sells it. How is it nobody in the nuke industry (they all talk to each other) has set up a plant doing exactly that right there at a very productive source?

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
The Chernobyl is still a mess - they just built a better containment dome. How long it lasts until it has to be covered by an even bigger one is anyones guess...
The animal life around Chernobyl seems to be adapting from catfish to wolves life is living.
There are people still living in the area that refused to leave.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
The lie of it is ... Ontario nuclear operates a plant that separates out tritium from contaminated coolant, and sells it. How is it nobody in the nuke industry (they all talk to each other) has set up a plant doing exactly that right there at a very productive source?

That facility is just outside of Toronto in Pickering on Lake Ontario.

I lived in Pickering about nine miles away and saw the place from the highway about every day.

That’s not the only nuke facility on the Lake...

E226334C-3FFC-482C-BD13-729FF5F00C03.jpeg

Canadians didn’t seem to mind the reactor....

B4F5701F-27DE-4EC0-ADCB-2CAACF6DD8AC.jpeg
DB97C6BC-D03B-4B96-BF77-AD930EBB8E9D.jpeg
3A234B39-7686-4022-81DE-E0294A13F545.jpeg

A4B54A0B-D359-4340-A3F6-B737F06FABD1.gif

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Gentlemen:
Radiation is released from a solid, Water is not a solid, Radiation does NOT exist in water, water IS h2o

Evaporation is the #1 available technology that exists today and it's not been spoken about, and I've been shut down, i get it, lol, point is, i've not heard about it before till i googled it, radiation is in the solid, not the water, so, evaporate it

it;s not a fools game...it will help, it may not be the only part to resolve this but, check this out...

They Know There Are Other Resolutions, But, Japan Can't Get Rid Of The Water, By Edict, and ultimately, They Will Be Forced To Release It Into The Ocean...make the rest up

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We've already exploded 1000's of nukes, I say we just drop one on fukishima and be done with it.

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
We've already exploded 1000's of nukes, I say we just drop one on fukishima and be done with it.
I'd suspect it would 'sizzle' a lot or radionucleopeptides or whatever, but, the ones that would be left would be like blowing Talcum powder into the noses of a thousand pregnant women...you don't know what you'll get

but, cigar, check it out...they didn't get you or me or any of the rest...i'm certain our mothers used all this stuff, and more, and smoked and drank,,,

hey, old man, we did get the best end of it all, if this is all it gets...yeah?

scratch my head...

don't know 'bout you, i'm not satisfied yet...kinda still don't feel right...

anyway...gotta get another beer

:dog:

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
old man was for 'love'

no, Respect

lol

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter
So, where are all the environmentalists?

Is this NOT more important than global warming?

Where are the super-tankers, pipelines and radiated water processing facilities?

OK

So, maybe this is an example of Michael Jackson's Nose Syndrome....

A distraction.

September 11th in NYC now.

Last edited:

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

Buck

Old Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
and if you knew shit, you would know tritium dispenses itself very well, you won't die from exposure unless you're inside the core???

wanna go there and check it out?

that's not a forward argument...look tritium up...

Joe, sorry man, i like your shit, i know you mean well...we ain't gonna die from tritium in the atmosphere

they are insured, they can't do anything...nothing,...they're scared, many are scared...it's not magic, it's science and it's the insurance companies...we won't die from tritium

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
and if you knew shit,
Shit, I don''t know, but I do know shinolla.

you would know tritium dispenses itself very well
All I was pointing out is that 3T bonds with O to make water. The tritium is not merely disolved in the H2O.

Whether it'll kill us was not my point. You made it sound as though the tritium was dissolved in the water like sugar or salt would be. If that were the case, the water could be evaporated and the sugar or salt collected. If you did that with tritium water, there would be no tritium left behind.

wanna go there and check it out?
you go first. Lol