• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Japanese fleet returns with quota of 333 whales in Antarctic

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
Japanese fleet returns with quota of 333 whales in Antarctic
7 / 15

Associated Press

© AP Photo/Kyodo News, File FILE - In this April 5, 2014 file photo, Japanese whaling vessel Nisshin Maru returns to a port, from the Antarctic Sea, in Shimonoseki, western Japan. Japan's whaling fleet returned Thursday, March 24, 2016, with 333 whales it caught in its first Antarctic harvest since an international court ruling stopped its hunt two years ago. The Fisheries Agency said that Japanese whalers in the four-ship fleet killed 333 minke whales, filling its catch quota, during the four-month expedition in the Antarctic.

TOKYO — Japan's whaling fleet returned Thursday with 333 whales it caught in its first Antarctic harvest since an international court ruling stopped its hunt two years ago.

The Fisheries Agency said that Japanese whalers in the four-ship fleet killed 333 minke whales, filling its catch quota, during the four-month expedition in the Antarctic.

The International Court of Justice in 2014 ruled that Japan's Antarctic whaling program was not scientific as Tokyo had claimed and must stop.

Japan last year conducted only non-lethal research into whaling, but it says killing whales is essential to obtain data on their maturing ages.

A fast, clean and powerful RSS news reader for Windows (universal app). Login/purchase once and run on multiple devices (Mobile, PC or Tablet). Feedly client. No ads in trial version. We're continuously working on new updates and improvements. Please share your feedback through app or
Scientific research is exempt from a 1986 international ban on commercial whaling. Opponents of Japan's Antarctic hunt say it's a cover for commercial whaling, since the surplus is sold.

The catch quota under the new research program is about one-third of what Japan used to kill.

Its actual catch has fallen in recent years in part because of declining domestic demand for whale meat. The government has spent large amounts of tax money to sustain the whaling operations.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...333-whales-in-antarctic/ar-BBqRV9W?li=BBnbfcL

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
They should leave the Japanese whalers alone. Eating whale meat is part of their culture.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I guess the way the left is going soon maggots will be a protected species, soon you will only be able to hunt white anglo saxons.

latemetal

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I want to go to "Long John Silvers" and order a 10 piece whale meal with a side order of scallops

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
"Farming" whales is probably not a very cost effective industry opportunity.

30 years ago, I remember that I used to pay 99 cents per pound for salmon. Other types of fish were quite inexpensive as well. At the markets, nearly all of them, only about 5% of the fish and shrimp they had for sale came from "fish farming" industries. Today, it seems that over 75% of the fish on sale comes from farming fish, wild fish and shrimp seems to be at best one-quarter of what's on sale. The prices today are many times those I remember in the past and appear to be approaching $20/lb, for the expensive fish.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I wonder how many minke whales are born in a year...?

image.jpeg

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
Heres one of the biggest ones they caught...

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
In Japan, the word RESEARCH must mean whaling.

Because all Japanese whaling ships have the word RESEARCH painted on the hull.

GOLD DUCK

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
In Japan, the word RESEARCH must mean whaling.

Because all Japanese whaling ships have the word RESEARCH painted on the hull.

QWAK,My guess is that whale tastes just like CHICKEN!:dduck::chef:

the DUCK :winks2: