• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Jeep owner is sued after dealership employee was killed during oil change

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
How insane is this?

It's the car owner's fault?

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
WTH???!!!

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Unreal...

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Jeep owner should be sued for buying that POS. It's a fiat for cripes sakes.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score

That's a different lawsuit.

My first car was an actual FIAT (Fix It Again, Tony).

In 1976, I only had $2,500. It was a choice between the Fiat, a Pinto and a Vega. :rotf:

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Insurance co's will pay it off.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

In 1976, I only had $2,500. It was a choice between the Fiat, a Pinto and a Vega. :rotf:
I had a Pinto. A boring car...not overly well made...but when things failed, they were logical. Clutch cable. Water pump. Things you expect, and that I could do.

I had a Fiat. A Yugo, which was a Fiat 127, built by the Communist Party of Yugoslavia. Imported by the globalist Malcolm Bricklin. That was NOT a boring car; and in fairness, it was much better on the road than a Pinto.

Nothing about it was logical or predictable. And what killed it, was a broken alternator belt...which then got tied up in the timing belt, tearing IT off, and the engine self-destructing.

FWIW, the Pinto 2.0 liter engine, German built, also had a camshaft timing belt...but was a non-interference design. That broke on me, and the cost was a tow truck and a repair. Couple hundred dollars - which hurt, but that was all.

Treasure Searcher

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Insurance co's will pay it off.
They are going after the insurance carrier, that insured that vehicle. They go after everybody and anybody.

Past co-worker of mine, used to sell insurance years ago. He said to put the maximum liability insurance on each vehicle. So since then, I have the
maximum liability insurance on each vehicle. Does not cost much more that the minimum liabilty coverage. Whether you are at fault or not, you can get sued. Greedy lawyers.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
How insane is this?

It's the car owner's fault?

Michigan law. Farked up beyond all recognition.

I know this personally. I got badly injured in a traffic situation, where the offending party was in the wrong and grossly negligent; and due to Michigan law, I could get NOTHING of it.

Gnu Yark had similar illogical laws, regarding injury. LEASING a car was impossible in NY for years, because...the OWNER of the car could be held responsible for acts of the DRIVER of the car. So GMAC Leasing, say, could be prosecuted because a 2-year lease-holder, long after taking a lease on the car...had gotten intoxicated, drove and killed someone.

This is liberalism on display. And liberalism is a mental disorder.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
My, how things have changed.

My old man had a Jeep Wagoneer. Back when they were sold by Kaiser Jeep Corporation. The dealership was a converted gas station. There was essentially NO advertising, save a few pages in Popular Mechanics magazine each month. There was exactly one dealership in all of Cleveland, that pathetic gas station just off Downtown.

Getting the thing serviced, when new, was a challenge. The Jeep dealer was always booked up and didn't want business - he had all he wanted. The V8 was a Buick 350, but Buick dealers didn't want to work on it. Garages that worked on Fords and Chevrolets had no experience or books...my old man bought a service manual, so he could open it with the mechanic, and show him how.

From that, to the uber-hip trendy Yuppiemobile, made - very shoddily - by FCA, now by a company I can't even pronounce, headquartered in Belgium. That won't last.

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Yes,, kill that lawyer.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
What is 1,000 lyers at the bottom of the ocean??

V

V

V

A good start!!! :2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::finished::belly laugh::belly laugh::belly laugh::belly laugh:

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

$2500 was a chunk in the day

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
$2500 was a chunk in the day
A chunk, but not enough.

A new Chevette was $3200.

A new Beetle was about $3000. IF you could find one. A new Rabbit was $4100.

If you wanted a more-conventional car...a Malibu would be about $5k.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
My life savings from mowing lawns, shoveling snow and doing odd jobs around the neighborhood. cool:
You mean back when teenagers didn't have cell phones and credit cards?

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You mean back when teenagers didn't have cell phones and credit cards?
Oh, ho...you know, or you wouldn't have mentioned it...HOW HARD it was to get credit, or a credit-card, back then.

I worked all summer, my first job. I lived in a swampy fishing camp; took a rowboat with a 7hp outboard, across the lake to work. Walked a mile once I got to the public dock there. (Resort village).

I was SO thrilled that I had $1400 at the end of summer, that I could buy my clapped-out Super Beetle (four years old, but cars didn't last so long, then). I wouldn't have to quit the job when the lake froze over!

So I got the car, and then moved into a defunct motel...my "apartment" was a motel unit behind an Italian restaurant out in the country. High living, huh. Rent was $100 a month.

I didn't get a credit card for ten years, and then it only had a $400 credit line.

kiffertom

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is 1,000 lyers at the bottom of the ocean??

V

V

V

A good start!!! :2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::2 thumbs up::finished::belly laugh::belly laugh::belly laugh::belly laugh:
a saw a group of lawyers walking down the street the other day and it was so cold they had their hands in their own pockets!

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
the tactic is to get an Ins co to settle as opposed to litigation. Rather than to win one as opposed to settling 1000 times.

by and large it's the pinhead accountants

Ash_Williams

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would have been nice to hear the explanation the lawyer was about to give before his audio was dropped in favor of more retarded fake outrage.
Fuck the fake news.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Argentsum

Blown Away
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
I wonder what Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) thinks of this dealership's intentions.

I mean, when you sue your customers you tend to run out of customers in a hurry.

The news and public relations is not going to go well at all.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I wonder what Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) thinks of this dealership's intentions.

I mean, when you sue your customers you tend to run out of customers in a hurry.

The news and public relations is not going to go well at all.
I doubt they care.

Peugeot (a mechanic I knew, back in the 1970s, called them "Pigout") bought the flailing FCA, to loot it. Jeep is FCA's biggest cash cow, and it's being led to the guy with the nail gun.

In five years, I'll bet, China will own the Jeep trademark and the other Chrysler brands gone. Peugeot will return to its original name and original market...France.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Would have been nice to hear the explanation the lawyer was about to give before his audio was dropped in favor of more retarded fake outrage.
Fuck the fake news.

The employee died because of his own negligene. His negligence can be imputed to his employer, but Workman's comp limits his damages to his medical bills which are moot at this point. (Workman's comp is a legislative bargain that allows you to claim benefits from your employer for on the job injuries without having to prove causation, but avoids big lawyerly paydays.).

Not sure how (factually) the owner of the jeep, or Jeep itself, could have caused this, but both have insurance and the laywer figured out that he couldn't get any money out of the dealership. This lawyer would still need to prove that. In some states, they use a comparative negligence standard. I had a friend who had a major railroad as a client. Every year, a couple of fools would get themselves or their passengers killed by trying to get across a railroad crossing before the train killed them. In these comparative negligence states, if you can show that the other guy was 5% or even 1% responsible, then you can collect that portion of your damages. If say a wrongful death case is worth $5 million, then you might collect $250,000 and assauge your guilt by having a jury tell you the other guy was partially at fault.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of how the vehicle owner might have been negligent and contributed to this tragedy was if he/she left a bottle of vodka or whatever in the car and the jerk got drunk while working on it.

Last edited:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Most likely they're leaving out some detail, like the jeep owner bypassed the neutral safety switch or something.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Most likely they're leaving out some detail, like the jeep owner bypassed the neutral safety switch or something.
Is that a thing with a manual transmission where you can't start it unless it's in neutral? The newer manuals I've driven only have a safety switch on the clutch which needs depressed before the engine will start, regardless of the transmission gear position.

In this case, the 19 yo mechanics helper had no idea how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission. He started the Jeep after an oil change then dumped the clutch, running over his coworker.

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My coworker who is an ex shop mechanic said many of the new hired mechanics had to be taught to drive stick. He usually got the job of teaching them....

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
I wonder if he still got his oil change?