• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Just found out from my electrician that I have a separate box for my generator at new

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
property (bought with prepping in mind)

Currently on the circuits, the refrigerator, gas fireplace downstairs, lighting in the great room and the water pump. He thinks this is awesome and will teach me the disconnect routine to take the system off-grid for generator use. However, now I need a generator. It did not come with the new property. Electrician seems to think for emergency purposes (area prone to summer storm power outages) a standard gasoline generator and small supply of gas would be best. Opinions? I am interested in efficiency, fuel storage requirements and cost.

REO 54

Midas Member
Midas Member
Re: Just found out from my electrician that I have a separate box for my generator at

I would look into LPG run gennys.

CiscoKid

They all look good through beer goggles...
Gold Chaser
Re: Just found out from my electrician that I have a separate box for my generator at

Gas gets stale. I second the LPG suggestion. Bury the tank if possible and look into a automatic transfer switch. If you do not want the transfer switch kicking on your generator when you are not there (and wasting LPG), that is easily done.

southfork

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Mother Lode

Gas gets stale. I second the LPG suggestion. Bury the tank if possible and look into a automatic transfer switch. If you do not want the transfer switch kicking on your generator when you are not there (and wasting LPG), that is easily done.
For sure go lpg, look at a small generac, they run on lpg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Generac-Gua...239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4172898497

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

How about some photos of the setup & some data? (like the amperage of the circuit breakers involved)

BackwardsEngineeer

I'll just take one of my Proton Energy Pills....
Silver Miner

We really need more information....

What kw did the electrician suggest?
What region are you in?
What are you going change up there? Additions, modifications etc.
Lastly how deep are your pockets? Budget?

Lots more questions once these are answered....

BE

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

Diesel.

At least a 10kw.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/search?cmd=results&fromsearch=true&words=generator

This is like the one I bought. http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7297284&convertTo=USD
OH, I paid $3k for mine, but it had been refurbished.

Military surplus. Most are on wheels. So if you change houses down the road, you can take it with you.

PLUS, diesel stores well. And it's portable.

A 10kw generator with a four cylinder diesel engine produces upwards of 100kw. You have to wire it with both 'legs' producing approximately 55k Amps at 110 v and then put them together to produce the 100 amps at 110v. Should run a good size ALL ELECTRIC HOME. Including water heater, a/c, heater, range/oven, lights, TV, pool equipment, etc.

With the help from your electrician, you should be able to power up your place with few problems. And it will be a nice system if you just plan it out.

Last edited:

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

A 10kw generator with a four cylinder diesel engine produces upwards of 100kw.
is that a typo? .....if not please explain...

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter

Have to work over the weekend so soonest for pics is over a week from now. The home is in NW WI. Very cold here but summer storms are usually a bigger issue as a power outage risk. Few ice storms, more cold and snow.

The longest the power has been out in the area in the past was 8 days during August one year. Most outages are 16-24 hrs. Thanks for the input and links. My electrician is my former stepson and he'll give me the straight scoop. I'm putting together some questions and info for him. Thanks all.

I wish I had deep enough pockets at this point to go completely off grid but until I sell another property (it's for sale), that isn't happening.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser

is that a typo? .....if not please explain...
ttazzman,

YOU SIR are absolutely correct. I should have said AMPS, not KW.

It is 55 AMPS per leg. Two legs gives you 100 AMPS, not 100 KW.

That 100 AMPS will run my whole house, which is an all electric home. On a hot summer day (over 110 degrees), we don't actually pull 100 Amps, even with the A/C running all day. That's why I bought it.

On a side note, I can put legs 1&2 together and get 220v but it only produces about 75 AMPS at 220 v. Hence the reason I will pull two legs at 55 Amps each at 110v for a total of 100 amps.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Electrician seems to think for emergency purposes (area prone to summer storm power outages) a standard gasoline generator and small supply of gas would be best.
I agree with your electrician. Remember the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid). Propane has some advantages and disadvantages, now that propane has topped $5 a gallon in many areas, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
I also reccommend that you stay away from fancy and problematic gadgetry like automatic start/ automatic transfer switch.

gas fireplace
What kind of gas; natural or propane? If you have natural gas, get natural gas or dual, or /tri-fuel portable generator or a standby (Northern Tool link).

D-FENZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

There are a number of things to consider when you are choosing a generator. You will just have to pick your priorities and winnow your choices down from there.

One of the most important considerations is size. That will determine how heavy/portable it is as well as the initial cost and maybe most importantly how much fuel it will burn. Do you want to enjoy all of your creature comforts when the power is down or would you be willing to settle for the necessities like the furnace fan, refrigerator/freezer, well pump and a few lights. And would you be willing to further reduce your peak power by manually isolating the circuits to only allow 1 or 2 of those things to come on at a time.

If you expect that the generator will sit for extended periods of time then you would want either an LP or a diesel unit. If you want to prepare for the possibility of it having to run for extended periods of time then I would lean towards a diesel unit. Normally the engines will turn at 1800 or 3600 rpm. Go with the slower rpm- you will get a better quality generator and your engine will last longer. Military surplus generators are good if you are willing to tinker with them from time to time. They will also be severely underrated and will put out about 50% more than their plate rating would suggest.

Normally when I am shopping for anything, I will figure out which one I need and then go with the next bigger one. Not so with generators. If anything I would go smaller and then be selective about what is using electricity and when. That is even more important with a diesel unit. You will want to run them at least at a 50-75% load all of the time to avoid mechanical issues like wet-stacking (not a good thing). It is also a good idea to load bank /exercise them every couple of months.

Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy the new place!

BackwardsEngineeer

I'll just take one of my Proton Energy Pills....
Silver Miner

Have to work over the weekend so soonest for pics is over a week from now. The home is in NW WI. Very cold here but summer storms are usually a bigger issue as a power outage risk. Few ice storms, more cold and snow.

The longest the power has been out in the area in the past was 8 days during August one year. Most outages are 16-24 hrs. Thanks for the input and links. My electrician is my former stepson and he'll give me the straight scoop. I'm putting together some questions and info for him. Thanks all.

I wish I had deep enough pockets at this point to go completely off grid but until I sell another property (it's for sale), that isn't happening.
If you are just trying to cover the basics during summer outages, then one of the over the counter Honda's or Yamaha's will keep a couple of lights on and your fridge/freezer cold if you alternate running them. That was the purpose of my questions. What has not been said in this thread but needs to be, is that you only buy back up for what HAS to be run during an outage. In the summer, that means a few lights and cold food storage to me, possibly a sump pump if applicable. All those are 120 volt, and 3kw will run a lot if you watch the load.

I have a couple of these Honda eu2000i with the kits for three fuels http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i. Not too costly, run great and can be connected together to get 4kw. Bought for summer back up, now mostly used to tailgate.....

If you decide winter outage is also the focus.... sell your other property, then we'll talk.

BE

Hope that helps

Agavegirl1

Silver Miner
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter

Currently have a propane tank to run the downstairs fireplace. It is emergency backup heat and on the generator box. The tank is 80% full (200 gal). I have not needed it this winter. The tank capacity is 250 gal. Up here in nowhere WI, LP is the way to go. I think a propane generator would work well.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

You will want to run them at least at a 50-75% load all of the time to avoid mechanical issues like wet-stacking (not a good thing). It is also a good idea to load bank /exercise them every couple !
Never heard that term "wet-stacking" .......please define....i am highly mechanical so you dont have to be simplistic

Agavegirl1......what ever you decide on a genny make sure it is the correct voltage and has enough capacity to start and run your well pump (it probably requires 220v and starting depends on your well HP rating)

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Never heard that term "wet-stacking" .......please define....i am highly mechanical so you dont have to be simplistic
In Texas we called it "slobbering". It's a problem with many diesels if you idle or run them at low load conditions too long.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Thanks i know exactly what slobbering means