• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Just Order a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I have to respectfully disagree. To me iron sights are like stick shift in a truck. On top of learning how to drive the damn thing you have to constantly pay annotation to the damn gear box/clutch. Same thing with iron sights. I would learn how to shoot first, then learn how to use the sights.
Not sure what you are disagreeing with.

How is he supposed to learn to shoot without aiming? Perhaps you are meaning to say: learn how the weapon functions first, then shoot it?

SC

Toxa

Seeker
Seeker
Not sure what you are disagreeing with.

How is he supposed to learn to shoot without aiming? Perhaps you are meaning to say: learn how the weapon functions first, then shoot it?

SC
I guess what I was getting at is that learning how to shoot using optic (red dot or a scope) is a lot easier at first. Once the fundamentals are established then learn the iron sights. But if all you have is the open sights, by all means use'em. Hope that makes sense.

Work

Silver Member
Silver Miner
What would be good affordable (3-400$) red dot for home deffenc/SHTF urban war for the mini 14 ?

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
What would be good affordable (3-400$) red dot for home deffenc/SHTF urban war for the mini 14 ?
At the top of my list (and yours) would be the professional quality Aimpoint PRO for right around $400. You will need to add a rail to mount it on...

SC

Attachments

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Any of the aim points. Also I like the 2moa dot because it lets me be a bit more precise.
I am almost certain this is the type of optic I will get. I consider this gun to be a hunting rifle which I will use out to about 200 yards. I have red dot finder scopes for my
astronomy equipment and I understand how they work and am comfortable being limited to what I can see without magnification.

So after a little more investigation Aimpoint has a new 9000SC-NV which can accomodate night vision. This is what I intend to buy.

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/all-products/product-singleview/product/9000SC-NV/

http://riflescopes-blog.webyshops.com/?t&paged=5

Last edited:

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Here's a plug for Ruger. They give buyers of new mini-14's the opportunity to exchange their 1" rings for the size of their choice. I returned the 1 inchers and asked for a set of 30mm
rings.
The Mini-14 also came with a short Picatinny rail which screws into the existing scope ring slots on the rifle if you want to mount a Aimpoint Pro. I opted for a less expensive Red Dot called Vortex Strikefire.

It gets good reviews. $157 It will also fit right into the 30mm rings coming from ruger. The gun is FUN to shoot (I only achieved a marksman medal in the army) so I am happy that I get all my shots onto an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper with the iron sights at 30 yards (with my 60 yo eyes).

reviews - http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html

Cynical1

Seeker
Seeker
Last week the truck from the warehouse broke down. So the baby finally arrived today and she looks sweet. Let's see if I can put a dent in the 2000 rounds of ammo I bought her this weekend.

View attachment 43856

Why is that legal in New York? I thought New York was smarter than that. You scare me with your big scary gun, they should take it away from you. What are planning to do with your 2000 bullets? Overthrow the government? Kill a bunch of schoolkids? That's a kid killing gun.:(

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Why is that legal in New York? I thought New York was smarter than that. You scare me with your big scary gun, they should take it away from you. What are planning to do with your 2000 bullets? Overthrow the government? Kill a bunch of schoolkids? That's a kid killing gun.:(
It's legal in NY because the only thing stupider than the politicians in the voting public (sheeple).

Toxa

Seeker
Seeker
Here's a plug for Ruger. They give buyers of new mini-14's the opportunity to exchange their 1" rings for the size of their choice. I returned the 1 inchers and asked for a set of 30mm
rings.
The Mini-14 also came with a short Picatinny rail which screws into the existing scope ring slots on the rifle if you want to mount a Aimpoint Pro. I opted for a less expensive Red Dot called Vortex Strikefire.

It gets good reviews. $157 It will also fit right into the 30mm rings coming from ruger. The gun is FUN to shoot (I only achieved a marksman medal in the army) so I am happy that I get all my shots onto an 8.5 X 11 sheet of paper with the iron sights at 30 yards (with my 60 yo eyes).

reviews - http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/reviews-vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html
I have a vortex viper PST on my remington and love that scope. Jerry Miculek uses those too. Also Vortex has a great warranty, no nonsense lifetime guaranty to fix or replace the optic. I'm looking forward to the review!

Cynical1

Seeker
Seeker
It's legal in NY because the only thing stupider than the politicians in the voting public (sheeple).
Give it time. Some democrat in your legislature will see a picture of one of those rifles and say "That's still legal? We need to fix that."

And they'll be driven by people who really do think the things I put in my sarcastic post.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
We just picked up a mini14 as well. Thanks for the info on scopes.

We can't seem to locate any magazines - anyone have a preferred online stores?

Last edited:

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

jaxxas

Seeker
Seeker

I like the EOTech. A one moa dot for precision and a 65 moa circle for up close and personal!

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Last edited:

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++

<===Foolsgold

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
While everyone was at the pool or the water park (it's really hot) I went to the range and dialed in my Vortex strikefire. I like my mini14. Yesterday I was at the range shooting the 16 inch Rossi .357 I like it too.

DSC01146.jpg