• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Kill switch on all cars by 2026

Vlad The Impaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Well this means you won't really own the car or truck. No doubt they will find reason to outlaw all older cars. I wonder if they were smart enough to make it part of this law that you cant pay a technition to disable thje kill swith?

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Eagle
Reaction score
Can I get a button like that for the back of my wife's head?

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Well this means you won't really own the car or truck. No doubt they will find reason to outlaw all older cars. I wonder if they were smart enough to make it part of this law that you cant pay a technition to disable thje kill swith?
Be your own technician !!! :piss:truck2: :2 thumbs up:

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Along these lines, my local power utility is offering everybody a "free" google wi-fi thermostat. Free! "Funny" they don't mention it up front, but it's buried in the fine print: they have total control over that thermostat. Whenever they want, they will lower the temp in the winter and raise it in summer.

No effin' way to any of this crap!

yellowsky

Survivor
Seeker
Reaction score
It's been so frustrating to me that all those RINOs who helped pass the Biden regime's fake infrastructure bill aren't getting anywhere near the level of pushback they deserve. It feels like people have more or less forgotten about the whole thing by now. I have a couple of said RINOs in my state. They've even gotten away with doing interviews on "conservative" local talk radio shows where they try to defend their vote as "muh roads and bridges" and the host always just lets them get away with it, never calling out the blatant lie.

Along these lines, my local power utility is offering everybody a "free" google wi-fi thermostat. Free! "Funny" they don't mention it up front, but it's buried in the fine print: they have total control over that thermostat. Whenever they want, they will lower the temp in the winter and raise it in summer.
That's interesting because I've seen those same offers advertised by my local power company too, and while I always expected the possibility for the exact ploy you describe in the future I didn't know it was already being openly mentioned in the fine print.

What I don't get is, even if the new thermostats are "free," why do people want them anyway? I don't get what the supposed advantage is, unless it's just another case of people blindly following the latest fad like always.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
It's been so frustrating to me that all those RINOs who helped pass the Biden regime's fake infrastructure bill aren't getting anywhere near the level of pushback they deserve. It feels like people have more or less forgotten about the whole thing by now. I have a couple of said RINOs in my state. They've even gotten away with doing interviews on "conservative" local talk radio shows where they try to defend their vote as "muh roads and bridges" and the host always just lets them get away with it, never calling out the blatant lie.

That's interesting because I've seen those same offers advertised by my local power company too, and while I always expected the possibility for the exact ploy you describe in the future I didn't know it was already being openly mentioned in the fine print.

What I don't get is, even if the new thermostats are "free," why do people want them anyway? I don't get what the supposed advantage is, unless it's just another case of people blindly following the latest fad like always.
They want to be able to shut down your furnace or A/C without your consent if there is a danger of a brownout. Or so they claim. :rotf:

Last edited:

Wellsburg

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago, I worked in an office where the thermostat was controlled by "corporate". It showed the temperature of the room and the thermostat setting, but you could not adjust anything. Their winter heat setting at 67 was fine with me, but their summer AC setting at 74 was not comfortable. So, I brought in a small hair dryer and would "trick" the thing into thinking that my office was at 78 or 80 degrees, so the AC would kick back on. None of the managers ever said anything about it. Occasionally, a few of the secretaries would borrow my hair dryer to "fix" their thermostat as well.

yellowsky

Survivor
Seeker
Reaction score
Yeah I get why the "smart" thermostats are being promoted, I just don't get why customers take them.

Then again I don't even want a smartphone which makes me a total freak nowadays.

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I get why the "smart" thermostats are being promoted, I just don't get why customers take them.

Then again I don't even want a smartphone which makes me a total freak nowadays.

I would guess that 75% of the people who sign up haven't read the fine print. The other 25% are Greenies who actually think it's a good idea.

AgBar

Commodore
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
99% of the time, I totally agree.

But here, eh, could be a bit different.

*I* might be able to defeat this. I know computers, programming, binary, electronics, can do the reverse-engineering thing, etc. I have a unique set of skills that are not at all common, and even so I'm saying "might be able to." Defeating something like this in the engine control computer is not like re-routing a hose or something.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the "kill switch" was implemented in such a way that a simple solder-joint would defeat it.

And also, someone on 4chan or something will probably release the hack anyways.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

wastrel

Mr. Negative
Site Supporter
Reaction score
in the dark, probably being eaten by a grue
"What one man can create another man will figure away to defeat it". ;)
Also, another man can duplicate it.

Be a shame if someone either duplicated the device used to kill the cars, or "acquired" one from the authorized authorities. Then went out to the airport parking lots and disabled every single car in the place. Leaving thousands of pissed-off people gathered in one spot. Yep, sure be a real shame.

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I...beg to differ.

Wiring on modern cars is so incredibly complex; and connected through computer modules in such convoluted ways...seemingly simple stuff, like a manual switch on the back-up camera, are impossible. I kid you not...we have several customizers in town, who do stellar work...I wanted to be able to turn the back camera on manually to watch for trailer sway, on a car I've since sold.

No-can-do. The only solution is to put a SECOND camera on back there, and a SECOND screen.

Current truck: I wanted to put LED tail light bulbs in. They make the bulbs, of course; they should just plug in.

The computer dummies up. You get a dash warning signal; and there's no power sent to the LED.

Because the computer knows better. It's a low load - not a dead line; a load much lower than an incandescent - and the computer translates that as a wiring problem and cuts power to those leads. And gives you a warning.

No solution. Theoretically I could put a load resister or an incandescent hanging inside the panel, with the LED bulb in the taillight housing...but those shops won't do that kind of sloppy work. There's replacement light units, full units, including a load module to get past that...they're high-three figures. Not worth it.

Those are simple problems. Getting past the kill switch and breathalyzer...not so simple.

You know...it is what it is. If these SOBs just effectively ban travel, on anything but government-approved, face-diaper, Vaxx-Pass public transit...then, that's how it is. We live like Columbians or Mexicans who cannot afford cars.

Because we have a government both corrupt and stupid.

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
danger of a brownout
they created a beautiful word that, as has been pointed out before, it basically removes all responsibility, yet gives all control to 'them' because 'they' know better and will perform better...yadda yadda yadda

but imagine for a moment, a corporation, a 'utility' that originally was created to generate a never ending supply of electricity, for the greater good of society, not just for the blacks or children or women, but for US ALL, and over time, this 'utility', with .gov permission, changes the narrative without telling any of us, prices rise and threats of power outages, nope, not that, rather: "Blackouts", increase as we 'move forward',

AND

years later, they begin a campaign that tells you "Brownouts", not just 'Blackouts', but "Brownouts" will occur because we're using too much electricity (and get this: they can't tell you in advance because the criminals will figure out which neighborhoods to hit next, and that hobbles the average homeowner who's going to be home at that time)...

'they' never reach the part in the story where they've failed, on their end of the Deal, they've changed direction and purpose, and they're now tearing out power plants, giving us solar at outrageous prices and then marketing this as a 'great idea', rather than building and maintaining existing infrastructure, as originally promised

but that's not their fault...it's ours, because we use too much, and in an increasingly electric world, we're only going to 'cause more pain', yet we need to be connected if only to read the next .gov Amber Alert or at least to be able to dial 911 (when, rather, possessing a small hand gun would be a much better idea, but again, i digress)

and that's not their fault..."Brownouts" and we're going to continue to pay more because it's never supposed to hurt 'them' or their 'investors'...

It's Our Fault

idea...the next meeting, someone from our side, bring a gun

ZZZZZ

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the easiest solution is to buy a 2025 vehicle and run it until the vehicle or I drop dead, whichever comes first. It'll be close. :rotf:

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Wiring on modern cars is so incredibly complex; and connected through computer modules in such convoluted ways...
TRUE, For some reason in my '08 4X4 Lariot the cruise control is affected by a non-working 3rd Brake Light ( on back of cab). Redlight goes out, Cruise Control goes out. :bang head:

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
TRUE, For some reason in my '08 4X4 Lariot the cruise control is affected by a non-working 3rd Brake Light ( on back of cab). Redlight goes out, Cruise Control goes out. :bang head:

My 1994 Ford Pickup does that (at least for a turn signal). I believe it is a feature to let you know you have a light out. Another car of mine (when the blinker is out), the indicator just flashing rapidly.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

We are starting to buy our appliances, well ahead of time , due to the B.S. delays.
When I walked into our favorite appliance store, I told the sales guy, "We are here to buy stupid appliances, do you know what I mean". He got it & took us to the commercial/household area. No, WiFi, no blue tooth, no Siri, no chips !!! No problem !!! :2 thumbs up: :finished:

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Yellowsky, welcome to the group. Looks like you are fitting in quite well. :gracious: :holding hands: :2 thumbs up:

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Just posted a video on irons thread where you see stuff like people's windshield wipers going when they honk the horn and fluid squirt out if they turn their turn signals on... all sorts of crazy things can happen when you have 100 computer modules all Legoed together by some poor assembly line worker robots as they shoehorn a bean counter's wet abortion into a mold the shape of a vehicle

Irons

Outlaw Prospector
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Kind of old news. If your car has onstar or the other manufacturers version of it they are already recording everything you say and where you go, and they can shut your car off at will. Been that way for a long time now.

"But I need that in case I lock my keys in the car." " I need that for the satellite radio."

Whatever.

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Kind of old news. If your car has onstar or the other manufacturers version of it they are already recording everything you say and where you go, and they can shut your car off at will. Been that way for a long time now.

"But I need that in case I lock my keys in the car." " I need that for the satellite radio."

Whatever.

Oh put on another tin foil Hat Man. Next thing you'll know you'll be saying we dont need augmented reality head-up display and a smart AI voice assistant!

My favorite: "While letting the car handle a larger portion of the driving burden, the driver and passengers can relax in one of the most well-appointed cabins available today. The front seats feature up to 19 motors, and each seat in the car includes a seal of approval from the Healthy Seating campaign":rage 1:dduck::dduck::dduck::rotf::rotf::rotf:OMG weeez stopt it weeez I Cant breath ...

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Btw, a search for healthy seating campaign came up empty

brosil

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Will police cars be fitted with kill switch tech?

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
All of my muscle cars had/have a kill switch. Helps prevent curious youts from scattering their guts out on the glory road

Soon, the fuel tank caps will have booby traps.............................

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Sr Midas Sup +++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Another business opportunity. Plug and play dongles or bypasses accessories will be popping up all over. Just like companies that have plug in solutions for bypassing the auto start/stop features they have on cars and trucks.

You's think they would have learned from the music and video industry when it tried to ham handedly force their security stuff on consumers.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Electromechanical blinkers have done this since the beginning of time.(*)

* Time began with my '62 chevy.
Your 1962 was retrofitted.

The blinkers started doing this, circa 1990. Here's why: The old, thermal-metal blinkers that cost 59 cents and anyone could replace...when a bulb burned out, the blinkers just stopped working. You could replace one with a "heavy-duty" one that would carry a trailer load (extra bulbs) but that would flash even with no bulbs working. If a bulb burned out, you'd never know.

Many Head-Up-Arse drivers never noticed the non-working flashers with failed bulbs, either.

So a **GOVERNMENT MANDATE** was put out. When there was no load, the flasher had to flash EXTRA FAST. And since Government ordered it, it was so.

Of course, a thermal-metal flasher couldn't be made to do that. That was the start of complex, expensive, non-replaceable electronic flashers...now part of the CANBUS.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
Another business opportunity. Plug and play dongles or bypasses accessories will be popping up all over. Just like companies that have plug in solutions for bypassing the auto start/stop features they have on cars and trucks.

You's think they would have learned from the music and video industry when it tried to ham handedly force their security stuff on consumers.
The more you overtake the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain! ~Lt Commander Montgomery Scott

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

It will happen, but it will not be cheap; and there will be negative pressure from above.

My experience with Zero electric motorcycles (limited experience) is telling. Zero is a start-up company that had product out from about 2011. The first years' product was pretty crude; but by 2014, they got styling and technology together. Looked like a modern bike; great performance; range was...acceptable.

The used one I bought was a 2014.

In 2015, they came up with a new software base and a new motor design. Great!...but three years later, they declared the pre-2015 models "prototypes" and stopped supporting them. Remember, given the complexities of battery management, constant voltage to the motor while battery potential was dropping...charging logic, emergency cutouts of battery cells if there was a problem...given all that, what you were buying was essentially a rolling computer.

No support --> no future. You might as well have a desktop computer that can only run Win3.1.

Now. There were some electric-vehicle fanatics who were buying these bikes, pennies on the dollar...and stripping out all the computer stuff. They would put crude charging controls on them; and some sort of voltage regulation...but just run them with none of the elaborate software. Charging became, not plug-in, but a rat's nest of Li-I chargers connected.

But they did work.

Time intensive; unsuitable for most users; but they did work.

I expect the same here. A few will make it work. With autos and **GOVERNMENT MANDATES** I expect there will be inspection requirements, like there are now with the smog crap. So now you have to run fictitious plates, too, or else undo-redo your crap every year when the tags run out.

Remember the short-lived Roxor Jeep-CJ clone? Made by an Indian company; parts shipped from India; assembled in Detroit. Mahindra, the Indian company, had a license to clone Jeep CJs for the Indian market for decades; but finally, even the Indian government outlawed the vehicle as a road car. So they reinvented it as a side-by-side ORV.

It was, in final form, literally a Jeep CJ-7 with some minor changes. Except for a funky Indian grille (odd swirls in the cutouts) it was the same.

A couple of buyers here, bought them from a dealer, put CJ grilles on them, and passenger-car plates. Behind their sheds on their properties, they had old rotted-apart Jeep CJs. They'd register the wrecks (no inspection requirements here) and hang the tags on the Roxors.

Helps that, here, vehicles over 10 years old can get "Permanent" plates - no annual renewals. So, they have new Jeeps.

That may be the key to how some people, some areas, get around this mess, in the future.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score

Whatever.

GM calls it “Driver Information Center (DIC)". Pull that fuse. This will disable the ONSTAR system.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
GM calls it “Driver Information Center (DIC)". Pull that fuse. This will disable the ONSTAR system.
Will it disable other, needed functions? Like, say, transmission shifting?

That's a common stunt they do, to prevent disabling what government thinks you must have. Wire it in with something critical to making the car go.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Years ago my RECC changed out my thermostat "FREE" but while talking to the contractor doing the replacement I asked if I could keep the old just encase this one goes out ? I still have it as a back-up if the RECC tries to shut the power off the the air pump.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Will it disable other, needed functions? Like, say, transmission shifting?

That's a common stunt they do, to prevent disabling what government thinks you must have. Wire it in with something critical to making the car go.

Don’t think so as some models don’t have ONSTAR. I’ll pull it when I start driving my GM again. The fuse is also called 'INFOTNMT"

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Your 1962 was retrofitted.

The blinkers started doing this, circa 1990.
I had the car from 1964 to 1967 The SAE standard last modified in 1970 says:

"failure of one or more turn signal lamps to operate should be indicated by a
"steady on/' "steady off," or by a significant change in the flashing rate
of the illuminated indicator."

Perhaps we were exposed to different vehicles that did the bulb-out indication differently? I will admit also to the possibility of mixing up a bulb out vs. connected trailer situation affecting the flash rate. If that's the case, I'm qualified to be president ;).

https://archive.org/details/gov.law.sae.j588.1970 (section 4.5.1)

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I had the car from 1964 to 1967 The SAE standard last modified in 1970 says:

"failure of one or more turn signal lamps to operate should be indicated by a
"steady on/' "steady off," or by a significant change in the flashing rate
of the illuminated indicator."

Perhaps we were exposed to different vehicles that did the bulb-out indication differently? I will admit also to the possibility of mixing up a bulb out vs. connected trailer situation affecting the flash rate. If that's the case, I'm qualified to be president ;).

https://archive.org/details/gov.law.sae.j588.1970 (section 4.5.1)
I'm sure it was a gubbermint order. Because they all changed at once.

I lived through it. I was an early-teen kid, then; and some of my school friends had parents on tight budgets (beater cars). Some of them were too busy or lazy to replace burned out bulbs, or didn't understand why the flashers failed.

Then there was a gap - my first car was a VW Beetle, that used a different system than American cars. For one thing there was ONE turn indicator on the dash, a green double-headed arrow; and it flashed, right or left, and not WITH the outside lights, but alternating with them. Fortunately I didn't have to dig in to repair a relay for that.

But then, my 1973 Pinto...which had the original bulbs in it (1982) which were failing. I saw failed turn signals a LOT.

Then a new (1985) Escort...it had the fast-flash system. So have all cars since.

And you now can't replace a flasher - it's a dealer item, and probably hundreds of dollars, or worse. Wiring for a trailer, is hundreds of dollars, or worse.

Thing of it is, there's no consistency. Some owners retrofit old cars. Some others put old parts into newer cars, which you could do in the 1980s. Some makers adopted regulatory changes long before the law was in effect.

I just did a Gurgle search, and I got NO data about it. Everything but...and written to the level of second graders, which is what most online stuff is, now. You want to know why your silly car flasher is going rapidly, it tells you, the way you might a child, how to check that the bulbs work. But history of updated designs? NO. You don't need to know that.

I guess, with all the pressing issues around us, we have better uses for our intellectual power than fight over the history of turn signals. Let it suffice, I have a different memory of how events unfolded, than some other folks might.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Years ago my RECC changed out my thermostat "FREE" but while talking to the contractor doing the replacement I asked if I could keep the old just encase this one goes out ? I still have it as a back-up if the RECC tries to shut the power off the the air pump.
Will you be able to do that on short notice?

I would have taken out the new one right off, or left it there but not connected to the HVAC. Put the other one in, maybe just laying on a table (for quick removal) but wired in. The other can talk to the Mothership forever but won't control your home environment.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Will you be able to do that on short notice?

I would have taken out the new one right off, or left it there but not connected to the HVAC. Put the other one in, maybe just laying on a table (for quick removal) but wired in. The other can talk to the Mothership forever but won't control your home environment.
The old one has a mercury filled bubble as the OFF/ON thermostat. No transmitting capability as far as I've seen. Only when the electricity for the entire house goes out did the old system go off. RECC had to send recorders to get actual readings off the out side meter, and every other month was an estimate.
The current technology they drive up and down the road picking up a radio transmission to a laptop, and can be controlled by HQ..
Old one they have to physically come and lock out the old disc meters.

Casey Jones

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
The current technology they drive up and down the road picking up a radio transmission to a laptop, and can be controlled by HQ..
Gee. Remember when they had a meter reader, to actually record the readings? How inefficient.

And how racist-carbonist. They couldn't turn DOWN your heat...

newmisty

Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The old one has a mercury filled bubble as the OFF/ON thermostat. No transmitting capability as far as I've seen. Only when the electricity for the entire house goes out did the old system go off. RECC had to send recorders to get actual readings off the out side meter, and every other month was an estimate.
Old one they have to physically come and lock out the old disc meters.
My understanding is the trouble with the old ones was thet had various dissimilar metallic parts that when subjected to a strong magnetic field, it would change the movement of the apparatus in thereby the monitoring would get interfered with. (Would slow down/show less consumption).

In other words by sticking a strong magnet on your electrical meter you could get free Power