• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Landfill Mining

OverOver

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sr Site Supporter
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2010/oct/11/energy-industry-landfill

Seems like down the road if this becomes huge(r) there might be a cascade of small
start ups trying to cash in. About 10 years ago I caught a late night re run of the news.
The feature story was about some landfill where 4 or 5 entities were battling it out in
court to see who had the legal standing to claim the mineral rights. Never heard about
it again.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
This is my industry. I inspect some landfills besides truck fleets. LFs can be dangerous and hazardous. Excavating can cause a sudden release of gas or toxic water. One easy way to reclaim one would be to set up an incinerator near it to burn off what cannot be recycled.

It;s not applicable to most LFs for several reasons besides it not being cost-effective. There are zoning requirements and already a labor shortage. Plus contamination. If it can be done for a profit, Waste Management would do it in the USA.

Flight2gold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Run the LF through a plasma stream. It will accept anything but radioactive material.
Three things are output, a block of coal like material, used for burning, synthetic natural gas and heat.
Any city or private enterprise could make a bundle for nothing and the LF mountain would disappear.

Last edited:

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A plasma burner must be fed a minimum to make it cost-effective. There is one in Ft. Lauderdale by contract it receives so many tons per day. Haulers are forced to truck some waste all the way up from Miami in order to meet the minimum tons it needs to operate. It's not just about building it and they will come. It takes a company to build, operate and maintain it. If a municipality does it without considering cost, then it could be a huge burden on taxpayers.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Probably hardly news. I worked near a large landfill in Salt Lake City. They had drill holes all over the thing collecting gas.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is my industry. I inspect some landfills besides truck fleets. LFs can be dangerous and hazardous. Excavating can cause a sudden release of gas or toxic water. One easy way to reclaim one would be to set up an incinerator near it to burn off what cannot be recycled.

It;s not applicable to most LFs for several reasons besides it not being cost-effective. There are zoning requirements and already a labor shortage. Plus contamination. If it can be done for a profit, Waste Management would do it in the USA.
Sometimes things have to be done without profit in mind. Managing waste is one of the necessary evils that has to be be done without regard to profit. I don't mean that you ignore BMPs that reduce costs but there are benefits that have value besides being $$$ positive on the books.