• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Laptop question

Hivemindgammahydra7

Silver Member
Silver Miner
My employer is suddenly requiring us to work remotely (again) - no return to the site.

Looks like I will need a laptop. Question: is there a way to run a laptop off of the data plan from my service provider? Meaning, like a cell phone or a tablet, does.

I don’t want to tether a laptop to my wife’s iPad and I don’t want a wireless router (we are renting and not expecting to stay here much longer).

I want to use a mobile data connection for work instead of WiFi - is there a laptop that can do this and if so, how?

Thanks for any help with this ...

H7

fink1

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
You should be able to set-up a hotspot from your phone for your laptop to access. Windows 10 has it under network settings and you should be able to link via Bluetooth or a usb cable if you prefer.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have an iPhone and Mac now, so hotspot very simple and I have unlimited data with T-Mobile.

But in the past I used http://pdanet.co with my Android and Windows machine.

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Yeah hotspot, simple.

MIavatar

Silver Miner
PDA net and Clockworkmod tether are good cell phone tethering programs. Can use USB. PDA net used to even have a feature where you could text from your computer as the cell # just like google voice now. You would install those on your Android phone though. Not sure if theirs an Iphone equivalent. Then install the client on the PC.

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Your employer should supply the laptop, including all necessary business apps, along with the VPN/data encryption software.

Your only responsibility should be a wifi connection, for which you should be reimbursed.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Check with your employer about them supplying a hot spot, especially if you don’t have an unlimited data plan yourself. My former employer provided most people with hot spots but I believe they monitored usage as well.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
This is my brick phone. It's just a phone, not a SMART phone, you cannot get to the internet on the PHONE.

Having said that, the phone IS A HOTSPOT.

Have not set it up yet. But it is there.
Sonim XP5s.jpg

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Check with your employer about them supplying a hot spot, especially if you don’t have an unlimited data plan yourself. My former employer provided most people with hot spots but I believe they monitored usage as well.
Also unlimited data and hotspot are two different things, at least on most plans I'm aware of.. I have a certain amount of Hotspot data allocated and have to pay more to increase it.

PhucilliJerry

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Also unlimited data and hotspot are two different things, at least on most plans I'm aware of.. I have a certain amount of Hotspot data allocated and have to pay more to increase it.
Ah I wasn’t aware of that. I never had one, just knew some other people who did.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
That's why many use http://pdanet.co

The phone company think you are on your phone, not making it a hotspot.

Krag

Planet earth
Platinum Bling
Some areas have free wifi. Not that hard to get it if you don't have it for $40 a month or so. Also used good laptops are available for under $100.

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

TRYNEIN

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Last edited:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
IDK what every one else is saying BUT! If your employer wants you to work from home then IT is that employers resources that need be expended.
come on~it is that employers's toilet paper you use when you are there, correct?

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
do you use this???

Their website doesn't give very much info
I used to, no need for it anymore with an iPhone that I rarely use as a hotspot.

Last edited:

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
IDK what every one else is saying BUT! If your employer wants you to work from home then IT is that employers resources that need be expended.
come on~it is that employers's toilet paper you use when you are there, correct?
AGREE w/ Mikey on this topic. He ought supply or pay for the internet connection and charges, He ought to supply the laptop with the programming to do the job already installed and ready to go.
Yeah, I'm Pro Labor. But the Mrs. works for a company, non-union, and that is what they did for their employees to have them able to Work at Home.

I say it should not cost you one penny for them to keep making money.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I don't have a cell phone or a laptop but am still amazed at the amount of info people on this site have. Beers and boobies for all. :beer::blond:

the_shootist

Old (not THAT old), but dangerous, pasty white guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I don't have a cell phone or a laptop but am still amazed at the amount of info people on this site have. Beers and boobies for all. :beer::blond:
Keep the beer, I'll take the boobies brother!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I don't know about you guys but I'm thrilled that Mikey is back. I missed you dude!

TRYNEIN

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I used to, no need for it anymore with an iPhone that I rather use as a hotspot.

Thanks, all I have available for my service is the hotspot.

I am curious about the speeds as well as costs of the pdanet service, if you happen to have any insight to that, it will be appreciated..

I ask because I have a reason to possibly need this kind of service, IF the speeds are good enough to stream video.

Thanks ... either way

Last edited:

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks, all I have available for my service is the hotspot.

I am curious about the speeds as well as costs, if you happen to have any insight to that, it will be appreciated..

I ask because I have a reason to possibly need this kind of service, IF the speeds are good enough to stream video.

Thanks ... either way
I did the hot spot thing one night and it went 3 hours till my data choke hole took effect. Now, this was in Old Shasta right after the fires and the interweb line was not up yet.

BUT, if you have a datalink with that wifi then stream ahead at full force....I have septum and 5Gigs and at one time we had 5 ppl in the house on full time point and puke and never put a dint in the plan.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I did the hot spot thing one night and it went 3 hours till my data choke hole took effect. Now, this was in Old Shasta right after the fires and the interweb line was not up yet.

BUT, if you have a datalink with that wifi then stream ahead at full force....I have septum and 5Gigs and at one time we had 5 ppl in the house on full time point and puke and never put a dint in the plan.
HEY, t_s, Pass that decoder ring.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I used to, no need for it anymore with an iPhone that I rarely use as a hotspot.
Viking, question on the hotspot... if you use your computer (no inet pwd) and your phone has inet and you set up a hotspot.

Does the computer use the phone's inet, or the phones data? How does one know?

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I have a Galaxy phone that I turn into a hotspot for my computer with unlimited data and roaming through US Cellular. Awesome reception pretty much all over the country and only $75 a month. High speed enough for me anyway with no buffering on videos. Listen to Pandora pretty much anytime I'm online, sometimes all day. The only downside that I know of is that when I'm on the phone the internet stops.

But I have a question only vaguely related to this thread. I hope someone can answer it. It's about how advertisers pay for their ads online. Do they pay every time an ad plays or does the advertiser get charged based on the ad clicks? I'm too tight to pay for Pandora's premium service without ads so I get hit with ads every 15 minutes or so. Not unreasonable really except for the advertisers themselves. The reason I ask is, for some stupid reason I'm deluged with BLM ads lately. Seems like they show up on every ad break. Annoys the shit out of me. I've been clicking their donate link every time lately and then back out, hoping they have to pay for that click. But now that's getting annoying. Does it cost them when I click or does it cost them whether I do or not and am I just wasting my time?

AurumAg

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That hot-spot got me out of more than a few hotspots when the engineers wanted to stay home and let me take care of the site for them.

Easiest job I ever had, and fun too.

All I had to do was be motivated enough to show up on time and perform like a trained cable-monkey.

Like I still do every day, except that now I show-up 5 minutes early every day.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I listen to pandora free too. The BLM ads drop off after awhile and something else comes in. I never click the links. It only validates that I'm actually there. Like those "press 1 to be removed from our list". It only validates that the number is good and they keep calling.

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I listen to pandora free too. The BLM ads drop off after awhile and something else comes in. I never click the links. It only validates that I'm actually there. Like those "press 1 to be removed from our list". It only validates that the number is good and they keep calling.
I would surely like to think that it's costing them something for each click though. I would put up with the nuisance.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
One more thing....never 'unsubscribe' from spam mail. That's another sure way to fill your spam box

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I would surely like to think that it's costing them something for each click though. I would put up with the nuisance.
Go look at that thread on the 200+ companies supporting BLM and see if your carrier is listed. They may be giving free ad space to BLM to stay on their good side.

LOOK HERE: https://goldismoney2.com/threads/th...-gun-control-initiatives.442263/#post-2124333

My bad this is on Gun Control / Bans. Still a list leftists though, and might clue you in.

Last edited:

Sampson

Digging for nuggets of knowledge
Silver Miner
Most of the time the ads you see are re-targetting you through a tracking pixel or tracking cookie. Almost every website you go to will pixel you and then that can be used for re-targetting the ads.

Many websites also "rent" their pixel to other related companies. Most ad targeting campaigns will be time based and will have pre-determined metrics for serving you the ads. Most of them will only target you for a specific length of time until they figure you are not interested.

Depending on the sophistication of the ad campaign and tracking setup, you may just be "refreshing" the pixel every time you click through the ad to the site. Thereby ensuring you see a never ending stream of BLM ads.

Ads are usually either CPM (Cost Per Mille, per 1000 views) or CPA (Cost Per Action, per click) I have no idea which methods pandora uses to serve their ads but I would suspect CPM ad serving. Even at the high end range of about 10 to 20$ cpm it will only be costing them one to two cents every time you see their ad. Basically, don't waste your time man.