• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Last item on list -- mashed potato flakes are killing me.

RunningScared

Seeker
Seeker
I've been working on my preps ALLLLLL day. I was hoping to have the last 2/3s all ordered now, but the last thing is giving me the most problems -- mashed potatoes.

Seriously, it shouldn't be this hard. Can someone provide some feedback/thoughts?

Here is what I'm looking at:
http://www.augasonfarms.com/Products/Vegetables/Dehydrated-Potato-Flakes--10-Can-27-oz
* 240 calories per cup
* Up to 25 years shelf life
* But NO REVIEWS. This stuff could be crap, for all I know. Only found one guy on one forum saying it was "okayish".

http://www.shelfreliance.com/potato-pearls.html
* 80 calories per cup
* Only 8 year shelf life
* Reviews look promising
* Just noticed "Partially hydrogenated oils", which are trans fats. Lame. So, this one is probably a no-go.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/instantpotatoflakescan.aspx
* ??? Calories
* ??? Servings per container
* Reviews look so-so (the same product ships in a case and received much better reviews)
* Up to 15 year shelf life
* I have a good feeling about this product, but could they possibly provide any LESS information? WTF - how do they expect to sell anything?

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FS V140_A_name_E_Potato Flakes - 19 oz
* 180 calories per cup
* No reviews
* Unknown shelf life (kind of a big deal)

Any one have experience with storing instant mashed potatoes for long term that taste good?

Why such a disparity in the calorie count, per cup? In each case, these are just potatoes -- no butter or milk in here. Amazing the calories varies so much. It really makes determining how much to buy hard, if I wanted to go with the honeyvillegrain product.

I was thinking about just going to Costco (or the grocery store) and getting whatever plain instant mashed potatoes, and putting it in some 5 gallon buckets with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Do you think that would work just as well?

Thanks again for all the help -- don't know what I would do without everyone's assistance on this forum.

-Nathan

goldie40

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I was thinking about just going to Costco (or the grocery store) and getting whatever plain instant mashed potatoes, and putting it in some 5 gallon buckets with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Do you think that would work just as well?

Thanks again for all the help -- don't know what I would do without everyone's assistance on this forum.

-Nathan
I have 80 qts of potato Buds vac sealed in mason jars, I think maybe it's time to hit the stores and pick up another 50lbs.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
If you are readying for SHTF, I would recommend getting the one with the highest amount of calories and the most fats. Right now, these trans fats may be bad because everything has them, but when there is nothing coming in, I'm sure they are probably very beneficial, just like cholesterol. You wont be overloading on these things when they are no longer available, and the more calories the more bang you get for the buck.

techguy2

Meh
Gold Chaser
Couple of thoughts on taters...

The potato pearls sold at costco and sams are GREAT tasting, we use them all the time and keep a stock in our SHORT term food preps (under 1 year). Because they contain milk products, these do not have the long shelf life you need for long term storage, they simply will not work for that and will go bad.

The potato flakes that are PURE potato, i.e. dehydrated potato flakes that have no fat or milk products added are great for long term storage, and we have several cases of #10 cans of these.

You can purchase these from places like beprepared.com or waltonfeed. We actually canned all out ours ourselves at the LDS cannery.

Ozark

Seeker
Seeker
I ordered a 40 pound bag from Honneyville a couple of years ago. The flakes do not compact very well. It took a bunch of 1/2 mason jars to pack them away. The only need water to make up a batch. This was the main attraction for me. I wanted a variety to go along with my beans and rice. I don't really remember what they cost.

RunningScared

Seeker
Seeker
Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards just finding plain instant potatoes locally (or off the web, like Nickeless pointed out) and doing the mylar bag thing.

Ozark, unfortunately honeyville is out of stock on theirs. Besides, they don't tell you crap about how many servings the bag is, what the serving size is, nor how many calories are in a serving.

It's a big mystery.

I seriously don't know how they sell a damn thing. It's frustrating.

I recommend buying potato flakes - and just potato flakes. "Instant mashed potatoes" won't last as long. The milk and fat in the mix needs to be replaced more frequently.

Buy the Emergency Essentials/Provident Pantry plain potato flakes.

I'm leaning towards just finding plain instant potatoes locally (or off the web, like Nickeless pointed out) and doing the mylar bag thing.
No, no! Either canned or Super Pailed (mylar in bucket).

Nickelless

If coffee is gold, I own Fort Knox
Midas Member
No, no! Either canned or Super Pailed (mylar in bucket).
Um, so what's wrong with buying bulk dried potatoes and vacuum-sealing them yourself in mylar? Canned or SP potatoes are going to be MUCH more expensive on a per-unit basis than buying bulk and vacuum-sealing them at home.

Um, so what's wrong with buying bulk dried potatoes and vacuum-sealing them yourself in mylar? Canned or SP potatoes are going to be MUCH more expensive on a per-unit basis than buying bulk and vacuum-sealing them at home.
Are you going to put them in buckets?

Mylar is tough, but nowhere near indestructible. It needs the bucket (Super Pail) protection.

Nickelless

Midas Member
Are you going to put them in buckets?

Mylar is tough, but nowhere near indestructible. It needs the bucket (Super Pail) protection.

Couldn't you put the vacuum-sealed mylar bags inside a bucket and put the lid on it, like I do? :biggrin:

Attachments

I didn't vacuum seal the bags, just dropped in a few Ox absorbers and sealed them.

techguy2

Meh
Gold Chaser

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I too wouldn't be concerned with trans fats or even HFCS if it came down to it so long as it isn't laden with preservatives.. Longevity and calories are going to be top priority.

RunningScared

Seeker
Seeker
I recommend buying potato flakes - and just potato flakes. "Instant mashed potatoes" won't last as long. The milk and fat in the mix needs to be replaced more frequently.

Buy the Emergency Essentials/Provident Pantry plain potato flakes.
I think store bought instant potatoes should be just fine too. I was looking at the contents of IDAHOAN mashed potatoes and it's basically the same thing that you get in #10 cans.

IDAHOAN might be more spendy though... haven't priced it.

potatoes.jpg

Nickelless

Midas Member
Thanks man. I was going to get some rolled oats from then, at the very least. Probably some powdered eggs too.
What is Honeyville charging for rolled oats? I can get them for about $2.24 per 42-oz. container at Wally World and then seal them in mylar and put them in buckets probably a lot cheaper than buying them pre-sealed in mylar. Can't say the same for powdered eggs (I haven't checked prices, but I've never seen powdered eggs at Walmart), but a lot of things can be had for much cheaper if you re-package them yourself.

I think store bought instant potatoes should be just fine too. I was looking at the contents of IDAHOAN mashed potatoes and it's basically the same thing that you get in #10 cans.

IDAHOAN might be more spendy though... haven't priced it.
Buy the best tasting flakes/buds (as per your taste), and the freshest packages, and packing it yourself is just fine. Just be sure to do it right.

RunningScared

Seeker
Seeker
What is Honeyville charging for rolled oats? I can get them for about $2.24 per 42-oz. container at Wally World and then seal them in mylar and put them in buckets probably a lot cheaper than buying them pre-sealed in mylar. Can't say the same for powdered eggs (I haven't checked prices, but I've never seen powdered eggs at Walmart), but a lot of things can be had for much cheaper if you re-package them yourself.
I got quick rolled oats $54.99
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/quickrolledoats50lb.aspx

Probably over paid, but I don't have time to figure out where to get them locally.

mnmom

Seeker
Seeker
If you are in the Midwest www.naturalwaymills.com has good prices on alltypes of grains. They have pretty chap shipping by the pallet too. 40 bags runs 75 dollars for me.

Also for potatos they go on sale really cheap in the grocery stores in the fall. With coupons I paid less than 10 dollars for 200 pouches.

Nickelless

Midas Member
I got quick rolled oats $54.99
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/quickrolledoats50lb.aspx

Probably over paid, but I don't have time to figure out where to get them locally.
I buy the Great Value brand at Walmart. I know some people have very strong negative feelings about Wally World, but it's still one of the cheapest places to buy food preps and ammo, among other items. I'm not in a financial position to burn through extra cash at the moment via higher prices if I don't have to.

goldie40

Silver Member
Silver Miner
People can go to Aldies or Sav-A-Lot and buy 10 cases of Happy harvest Potatos for about $82. That's about 112 pounds of potatos all canned and ready to store for at least 6-7 yrs. You can't beat the price. We grew potatos here for yrs til one night I ate at a friends house and had potato salad and they told me that it was made with canned potatos. These will not be large bakers to put sour cream and butter on which I can't eat anyway, but you can do anything else with them.
I was always against canned foods til a few yrs ago and realized that there is no way I could keep up with demand for food around here if the trucks stopped rolling so I got serious about buying canned food by the case and filled half my basement with canned beets,spinich,butter beans,creamed corn, peas,whole corn,sweet potatos,cut green beans,french green beans,fruit cocktail, peaches,pears.dices tomatoes, tomatoe sauce,tropical fruit.carrots.
I do not worry about the dates on the cans but would rotate ever 6-7 yrs. By doing things this way it's been a real relief on the back doing garden work and now all we plant are cabbage,brussel sprouts, tomatoes,peppers,blue hubbard and butternut squash,cukes, some pumpkins although we use canned and sometimes sweet potatos in place of pumpkin. Spam and progresso soups are also great for the storage area but aren't found at Aldies in our area.
This may be one of the last months for people to stock up before prices go double.

I was just in Wallys looking around and picked up 10 boxes of their instant mashed potatos and 20 cans of their sliced pineapple, I could tell that when I got to the ck out she was expecting a welfare card insteaf of a fifty dollar bill.Many foods are packed in the same factory reguardless of the label.

ONG

Seeker
Seeker
A couple of years ago we came into a bunch of free potatoes, we sliced the and diced them and dehydrated them. Vacuum packed them and they are keeping fine.

I know that is a bit off the original question, but it is cheap.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling

Nickelless

Midas Member
People can go to Aldies or Sav-A-Lot and buy 10 cases of Happy harvest Potatos for about $82. That's about 112 pounds of potatos all canned and ready to store for at least 6-7 yrs. You can't beat the price. We grew potatos here for yrs til one night I ate at a friends house and had potato salad and they told me that it was made with canned potatos. These will not be large bakers to put sour cream and butter on which I can't eat anyway, but you can do anything else with them.
I was always against canned foods til a few yrs ago and realized that there is no way I could keep up with demand for food around here if the trucks stopped rolling so I got serious about buying canned food by the case and filled half my basement with canned beets,spinich,butter beans,creamed corn, peas,whole corn,sweet potatos,cut green beans,french green beans,fruit cocktail, peaches,pears.dices tomatoes, tomatoe sauce,tropical fruit.carrots.
I do not worry about the dates on the cans but would rotate ever 6-7 yrs. By doing things this way it's been a real relief on the back doing garden work and now all we plant are cabbage,brussel sprouts, tomatoes,peppers,blue hubbard and butternut squash,cukes, some pumpkins although we use canned and sometimes sweet potatos in place of pumpkin. Spam and progresso soups are also great for the storage area but aren't found at Aldies in our area.
This may be one of the last months for people to stock up before prices go double.

I was just in Wallys looking around and picked up 10 boxes of their instant mashed potatos and 20 cans of their sliced pineapple, I could tell that when I got to the ck out she was expecting a welfare card insteaf of a fifty dollar bill.Many foods are packed in the same factory reguardless of the label.
I know I'm setting myself up to be laughed at by saying this, but I've got probably 1,000 cans of various items in my pantry, but never thought to buy canned potatoes until I saw this thread. I'd been planning to buy dehydrated potatoes instead. Thanks for the inspiration, Goldie!

goldie40

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Let people laugh, I have exactly 1736 cans of fruit and veg not even counting tuna,spam,coffee,jars of canola and different oils that we vac sealed in mason jars, mayo,peanut butter, jams, our own canned chicken,turkey and the stock from cooking them,cases of tea, all the above will go good with the ton of rice and ton of dry beans we have packed away.did I mention groats,oat meal ,corn, wheat,sugar,salt, about 37 mason jars of different spices, baking soda,powder, yeast, If i had to toss a few things every couple yrs, it wouldn't bother me at all,I'd just start over buying the same things. I figure I've given the people in Hartford about 115,000 for different insurances in the past 10 yrs and never got anything for it, at least the few thousand dollars that i have in this insurance, I get to keep.Every week when one of us go to the city we buy a couple more cases of something, you can't go wrong for about 7-8 bucks a case.

cscott

I've bought and used the honeyville grain potato flakes (and I still accumulate some for long term storage). They were good, and the entire family liked them. Really no different than other instant mashed I've used. The one thing to keep in mind is that the flavor started to go down after a week or so of the can being open so I'd plan on having a lot of mashed potato meals once the open can gets opened. Of course YMMV.

RunningScared

Seeker
Seeker
Thanks for the replies all.

I think I'm going to go with the Honeyville potato flakes -- it's just that they've been out for a while.

Today I called Honeyville and they said they should be getting some in late next week (it's about freaking time).

= )

HistoryStudent

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
My wife has a soy vanilla milk diet.

She made the Costco Mashed potatoes with it and butter -

and they tasted like a DESERT!

Vanilla PUDDING type flavor -

That'll get your potatoes to KILL ya!

RunningScared

Seeker
Seeker
Yeah, that sounds good!

Just be careful with the Soy. Non-fermented soy (such as soy milk) is known to cause thyroid issues.

goldie40

Silver Member
Silver Miner
My wife has a soy vanilla milk diet.

She made the Costco Mashed potatoes with it and butter -

and they tasted like a DESERT!

Vanilla PUDDING type flavor -

That'll get your potatoes to KILL ya!
you could try this, make a real thin rue out of water and flour to use in place of the milk, season it with salt lemon pepper or what ever you like, keep it boiling while you pour in the potato flakes, when it's about done toss in a hand full of parsley flakes or other seasonings.
I've never done this but have thought of different ways in case the old cow dries up.(instant milk from different stores vac sealed in mason jars) People better get used to the fact that the S has HTF and living frugel for most people will be the new norm for the next 50-60 yrs. The deeper we go into this depression that the government says we're not in, the more things are going to cost.
PS. Ronzoni pastas are on sale for .88 a # box last week at out local store, the sale ends today.I was in a Walmarts yesterday and the same Ronzoni was sellin for $1.38 a box or .50 more a pound.. Walmart brand was 1.08 a box. The norm for this stuff at our one and only store is 10 for 10$. Up at the walmarts where I was, there is an Aldies down the rd 600 yds and their pasta was also .88 yet I see people buying the higher priced pasta in WM.