• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Legal short barrel shotgun

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I’ve just stumbled across the AOW exception that allows for the purchase of certain 12 gauge non shotguns

Item # 51664, 590 A1 Compact Cruiser
10.25″ Barrel, 3+1 Capacity

out of stock everywhere but I’m on the waiting list

5D9A0BD5-EDA2-4FE4-842B-F3E0A9ABD6C3.jpeg

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Here's another short barrel shotgun - 2.5" barrel, 2 shots. Pretty good backup truck gun -fits right in the drivers side door pocket.

410 -1.jpg

Last edited:

MIavatar

Silver Miner
Not practical. But could always load .50 cal shot shells in this thing for about 5 shots on a fill.

and it's not a firearm most places.

Always will miss my little 4 shot .22 magnum that would fit in my boot though.

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
You want the Mossberg Shockwave instead. Higher capacity and no wait unless you want for a sale < $300.

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Remington 870 TAC-14

Home invaders just drew the short straw
Small in size but huge on home defense capability, the Model 870 TAC-14 delivers devastating, threat-stopping power to protect your home and family. Featuring legendary Model 870 reliability, a Raptor pistol grip and Magpul M-Lock forend, its powerful personal protection at its absolute shortest-- and finest.

870-TAC-14-Beauty-Shot-with-shadow.png

MSRP is $465 if you can find one

Both the Remington and the Mossberg have both been out for a few years now - personally lean towards the Remington because of the steel receiver over the Mossberg with the aluminum receiver.

Remington makes a marine version with nickel plating
Mossberg makes one with SS Cerakote similar to the Remington

having said that if you want the 'silver' one? They command about $200 premium

Last edited:

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
How are these legal?

I thought the ATF regulations were pretty plain.

They may have a loophole to SELL them - perhaps for a specialized purpose - but if you're found with one under your bed, or behind the door...I expect you'll be going to gaol.

Be as easy or easier, to just cut one of your shotgun barrels, and call it...no more dangerous in practice.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
It’s a $5 tax stamp for an approved class called “any other weapon”

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
It’s a $5 tax stamp for an approved class called “any other weapon”
Actually it's NOT an AOW.

The ATF modified their rules that actually allows this. AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT CARRY IT CONCEALED, you are OK. IF you carry it concealed, you are then breaking the law.

But for now, these two short barreled shotguns ARE COMPLETELY LEGAL. But don't carry it concealed. And you can't modify it in any way. Can't change the front hand guard and you can't change the rear butt stock (birds head handle). OTHER THAN THAT it's legal.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Actually it's NOT an AOW.

The ATF modified their rules that actually allows this. AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT CARRY IT CONCEALED, you are OK. IF you carry it concealed, you are then breaking the law.

But for now, these two short barreled shotguns ARE COMPLETELY LEGAL. But don't carry it concealed. And you can't modify it in any way. Can't change the front hand guard and you can't change the rear butt stock (birds head handle). OTHER THAN THAT it's legal.
Do you have a copy or link to the regs?

I am serious. As a home-invasion weapon, I'd like to cut down one of my shotguns. It's a Mossberg, with a removable stock - so it has a grip like a pistol, only...and a cut barrel would make it almost as small as a handgun.

And plenty good for the purpose of spraying a door or window.

<SLV>

Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Do you have a copy or link to the regs?

I am serious. As a home-invasion weapon, I'd like to cut down one of my shotguns. It's a Mossberg, with a removable stock - so it has a grip like a pistol, only...and a cut barrel would make it almost as small as a handgun.

And plenty good for the purpose of spraying a door or window.
Can't turn a long gun into a pistol. Shotgun must be 26in OAL with 18in minimum barrel.

Gun has to be manufactured and registered as a pistol to begin with.

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I’m no expert but Mossberg says its an AOW

CLASSIFICATION OF THE 590 SHOCKWAVE

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm. Click here to read a copy of the letter from the BATFE regarding federal classification of the Shockwave, dated 3/2/2017). NOTE: This letter only speaks to its FEDERAL status. There could be local/state laws that prohibit the sale of this gun in your state. Consult your State Police for clarification. Just as with any other pistol grip firearm, the buyer must be 21 years of age, and be a resident of the state where s/he is purchasing it.

the link is below its a pdf and I could not copy text

https://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

Ensoniq

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
More descriptive explanation here

-All shotguns are intended to be fired from the shoulder.

-All shotguns must have at least an 18-inch barrel. If the gun was manufactured with a stock and a barrel shorter than 18 inches, it is classified as a “Short Barreled Shotgun” (SBS), requiring a $200.00 transfer tax.

-If the shotgun has a pistol grip and is less than 26 inches in overall length, it is considered an “Any Other Weapon” (AOW). Good news: AOWs only require a $5 transfer tax.

-The Tac-14 is created as follows. Start with a shotgun that has NEVER had a stock attached. Add a pistol grip, and the gun is now considered a PGO (Pistol Grip Only). It is NOT a shotgun, as it is not intended to be fired from the shoulder. -

-Next, add a 14-inch barrel so that the overall length is 26.3 inches. The length being greater than 26 inches disqualifies the gun from being an AOW. So, the BATFE declares that you now have a “Non-NFA Firearm.”

- The Tac-14 is not a shotgun, nor a handgun, but a firearm. It requires no special paperwork other than the 4473, and the buyer must be 21 years old. Some states may have restrictions on firearms like the Tac-14, so check your state and local laws!