• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Little bird swallows four big fish in seconds

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I wonder how long that meal will last him?

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
After watching this, think about a bird (cassowary) that weighs 30 times as much... and how it can eat a bushel of oranges in a minute... or a raccoon in thirty seconds... :-)

He had to take a deep breath before ingesting the last one - but he did it. I doubt he'll be able get off the ground for a couple days at least.

Joseph

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
cassy is a ground bird...a...runner....

big chicken but not on a stick-yet!
Yeah, but that's not a Cassowary eating those fish . If I had to guess Id say it was a Cormorant

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I mentioned the cassowary, 'cause even I did not (at first) really think Scooter's prehistoric monsters could swallow a a whole raccoon. Y'all probably din' really believe it either.

But looking at that little electric duck (our fambly name for cormorant) swallow those comparatively huge fish... that'll put you in the right frame of mind.

My disbelief was eliminated one day when I watched his six-foot tall, 175-pound monster eat.

Un-fargin-real. Scary.

Notice the eyes face forward... predator.

Ain't it impressive?

WHOA!! BACK UP!!

Last edited:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Good description, Goldie.

Right now, Scooter has a large bandage on his arm -- Big Bird nearly broke it THROUGH the chain-link fence!

BackwardsEngineeer

What me worry?
Silver Miner
Unca, just kinda curious...

Why would anyone keep and breed something that if it got loose would put you on the local news at 6? Isn't he concerned that at some week moment he might ever so slightly let his guard down and that neanderthal would take him out? Or better yet aren't you concerned for him?

SIL keeps snakes, over time they get big .... worries the snot outta this grandpa that one day one of those critters might get loose with daughter and grands in the house....

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Unca, just kinda curious...

Why would anyone keep and breed something that if it got loose would put you on the local news at 6? Isn't he concerned that at some week moment he might ever so slightly let his guard down and that neanderthal would take him out? Or better yet aren't you concerned for him?

SIL keeps snakes, over time they get big .... worries the snot outta this grandpa that one day one of those critters might get loose with daughter and grands in the house....
Here is what is going on:

There is very special care given to keeping these monsters in their huge 8' high chain-link pens (each one gets about a half-acre or more). The procedure for going into the perimeters is complex and only used to gather eggs****

They are being raised by him for sale worldwide. Scotty is the world's leader (TINS) in cassowary sales. Zoos all over the world (last sale was to Dubai) want them. There are damn' few of them around.

A dead egg sells for over $100. A live chick goes for four figures. A grown cassowary goes for about $15K. A breeding pair is only sold at auction. Could go for multiples of the others.

*****The successful hatching of cassowary eggs by themselves is nearly zero. Scotty collects the eggs and incubates them. They are placed under gentle heat lamps and turned very slowly on rollers (sorta like hotdogs, but the rollers turn like the hour hand on a clock.)

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Notice that the tweeny liddo birdie swallowed three huge fish in 9 fargin seconds.

Now lookit Scotty's monster: EEEK. He could swallow them all in ONE gulp. TINS.