• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

LIVE VIDEO Fiery Crash on I 70 in Denver Colorado.

ABC123

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

Skip to 8:00 TO see the semi scream past and the subsequent crash...

Multiple people are killed' and 10 injured in a fiery crash on a Colorado interstate after a big rig careened into a school bus, three trucks and 12 cars before exploding in a huge fireball

A traffic crash on Interstate 70 near Denver on Thursday afternoon left multiple people dead

Crash involved 12 cars and three semis - at least six people were taken to hospital with a number of fatalities

A preliminary investigation suggests the driver lost control of the semi-truck, resulting in explosions and a fire as several vehicles were hit

YouTuber captured the speeding big rig moments before the crash as the truck sped down the shoulder

The crash occurred near a bridge overpass which was damaged in the blaze - engineers have now been called in to check on its stability and resurfaced the road which began to melt under the scorching temperatures

Interstate is still shut down in bother directions while the cleanup and an accident investigation takes place

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6961941/Fiery-multi-vehicle-crash-Colorado-claims-1-life.html

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A preliminary investigation suggests the driver lost control of the semi-truck, resulting in explosions and a fire as several vehicles were hit
Don't they train these guys to maintain control of the God damned thing while its moving??

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Skip to 8:20. You’re welcome.

If in a semi, you use your brakes too much, they can overheat and become molten and warped out of shape; once that happens they are utterly useless. Thats what happened there.

I’ve had smoking brakes a few times on i70 in Colorado, and also i80 by salt lake. I refuse to take a heavy load across it anymore.

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
25 years ago, I worked in the office building right at the exit where the crash/fire happened. (Denver West Office Park).

The guy in the video summed it up, about 100 times : Holy Fuck!

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Don't they train these guys to maintain control of the God damned thing while its moving??
Yes they do, but if you've ever been on that stretch of I70 you just came out of the mountains this is what you will see:

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.51.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.31.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.34.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.35.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.35.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.36.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.36.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.37.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.37.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.38.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.40.13 AM.png

The 'last' runaway truck ramp on right... At this point 8 miles to crash site. 80 mph makes it 10 minutes?

If the brakes failed AND the clutch went out?

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Just to add to what GoldHedge says, where the crash occurred is flat, about a mile or so from the bottom of Morrison hill.

This is a very heavily traveled and congested area. If the truck's brakes and clutch failed, there was no where to go. A whole bunch of exits and entrances to the freeway in that area. The trucker probably did the best he could to avoid other traffic.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
This is a very heavily traveled and congested area. If the truck's brakes and clutch failed, there was no where to go..
Did the steering wheel fail too? In the guys vid from about 5:20 to 6:30 there only appears to be a grassy area along the side of the highway. Steer right and plow into that instead of the wall to wall stopped traffic ahead.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
This is looking west just after that last turn east. 470 exit sign is on left.
That's all up hill btw...
Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 9.21.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 9.15.12 AM.png

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Horrifying. I’m sure some of those poor people burned to death.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Did the steering wheel fail too? In the guys vid from about 5:20 to 6:30 there only appears to be a grassy area along the side of the highway. Steer right and plow into that instead of the wall to wall stopped traffic ahead.
Hard to tell... he was moving at a pretty good clip. Could have been going even faster than 80mph?

Shit happens fast at 80mph...

Cruise on in from the last runaway truck ramp. When you come to the Colorado Springs 470 sign you just crested a hill and are coming down into Denver. If his brakes and clutch went out there you'll have 4 miles to decide. 3 minutes by this calculator and your speed is increasing with every second. Also heard reports of a semi dodging in and out of traffic just before the crash...

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.698...4!1sR2GQI-q5s_Fmqm2nxFkh5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I didn’t really see anywhere he could have gone but maybe I missed it. But it’s pretty hard to steer at that speed and also he could have been hoping for some sort of miracle to happen that would have had him slowdown and crash at a much slower speed and live rather than intentionally plow it into the grass and flip over at 80+mph.

But that miracle didn’t happen and he took others with him. Not saying I agree with it or not, but I understand self preservation.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
also... this he would not have known...

There was a prior accident ahead between a school bus and a semi that backed up traffic up to the crash site. That's why the Burger Planet live streamer dude was stopped in traffic.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I didn’t really see anywhere he could have gone but maybe I missed it.
Look at the vid at the times I mentioned. Looks to me like there's a grassy strip along the highway.

Or what about going up the exit ramp? I'd think that in a runaway truck situation, you'd be lookin' for any amount of upslope you could find, and it was certainly less blocked.

There was a prior accident ahead between a school bus and a semi that backed up traffic up to the crash site. That's why the Burger Planet live streamer dude was stopped in traffic.
Which is also why the truck driver (sitting up high in his truck) would have been able to easily see that there was nowhere to go straight ahead. At the least, he should have veered to the right up the exit ramp. There were far fewer obstacles to hit going that way.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I see your point... however, what happens when he goes up the ramp and doesn't stop at the top?

I asked the inet: How much does a semi truck weigh?

a truck was 23,000lbs. a trailer weighs around 12,000lbs. and totally loaded can haul a max of 80,000lbs....without a special permit​

I asked the inet: How long does it take to stop an 80,000lb truck?

A typical tractor-trailer or other large truck can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds by law. Most passenger vehicles are about 3,000 – 4,000 pounds. A passenger vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds, traveling under ideal conditions at a speed of 65 miles per hour would take 316 feet to stop (nearly the length of a football field). In comparison, a fully loaded tractor-trailer weighing 80,000 pounds traveling under ideal conditions at a speed of 65 miles per hour will take 525 feet to stop (almost the length of two football fields).​
Someone want to measure those off ramps?

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Look at the vid at the times I mentioned. Looks to me like there's a grassy strip along the highway.
I did a few times already.

Or what about going up the exit ramp? I'd think that in a runaway truck situation, you'd be lookin' for any amount of upslope you could find, and it was certainly less blocked.
Thats not even necessarily a better option. The accident would have happened on the ramp and killed people over there instead of on the interstate.

There is a lot of inertia and momentum in a speeding out of control semi, that uphill ramp would have done nothing significant to slow it down in that short of a distance.

And like I said, he was probably hoping to not die and just slowdown on the interstate.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Muj how much does a flatbed full of lumber weigh?

Driver in 28-vehicle crash on I-70 identified as officials investigate multiple deaths near Denver West

I-70 remains closed at Denver West Friday as investigators, CDOT clear sit

Lakewood police have identified the semi-tractor trailer driver who was arrested after he barreled down Interstate 70 and slammed into a line of vehicles, causing a mammoth chain-reaction collision involving 24 cars and four semi-tractor trailers.

Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederon is being held at the Jefferson County jail for investigation of two counts of vehicular homicide-wreckless driving in connection with the crash that killed multiple people. The Jefferson County coroner is working on a victim count, which was complicated because of the intensity of a fire that consumed numerous vehicles.

Aguilera-Mederon will appear Saturday afternoon in Jefferson County Court for an advisement hearing, according to jail records.

The impact triggered a series of explosions that killed multiple people and sent six people to hospitals with serious injuries, authorities said.

In a Friday morning press conference, Lakewood police spokesman Ty Countryman said police are not yet releasing the number of people killed in the crash as investigators work to verify the number of fatalities.

“We’re still working on a final count of cars to people,” said Countryman, adding that the Jefferson County Coroner’s office must sort through human remains found inside cars to determine whether multiple victims were inside some cars. In most cases, only one person was in each vehicle, he said.

Lumber from the suspect’s flatbed truck shot across the highway and caught on fire when cars exploded and spilled fuel ignited. Raging flames brought temperatures on the surface of the highway to above 2,500 degrees, melting aluminum and turning pavement into rubble, said Josh Laipply, chief engineer of the Colorado Department of Transportation.

“I think we lose sight that vehicles are deadly weapons, and we need to be more careful when we are driving,” Laipply said.

The interstate will remain closed in both directions at Denver West through the rush hour Friday while police investigate the long stretch of the highway for evidence and road crews clean up debris.

CDOT officials said Friday they will assess bridge and road damage after police finish the investigation. Laipply estimated that the road may not be opened until Saturday because of the need to repave the highway in some locations.

The driver who caused the chain-reaction crash has been taken into custody. The man is being held for investigation of several counts of vehicular homicide in connection with the crash, Countryman said. There is no evidence the crash was intentional, Countryman said. The unidentified driver was one of six people injured in the crash.

Even if mechanical problems contributed to the crash, the semi driver will likely face vehicular homicide charges based on statements by witnesses and video cameras that provide perspective about how the crash happened, Countryman said. As drivers descend the 6 percent grade into Denver, there are numerous signs warning truck drivers to slow down. District Attorney Peter Weir’s office will make the final decision about what charges to file.

Countryman described the incident and scene as “devastation.”

Emergency calls started streaming into dispatchers at 4:50 p.m. Thursday.

Initially, Countryman reported one person was dead but as West Metro firefighters extinguished multiple car fires, they discovered the remains of other people in burnt-out car shells,Countryman said.

A West Metro Fire Rescue firefighter was also injured by an explosion, fire officials said. The firefighter was hit by debris, likely from an exploding tire. His injuries were described as minor.

View image on Twitter

Update on yesterday's multi-vehicle crash and fire on I-70:​
For everyone who reached out with concern for our injured firefighter- we're happy to say that he's home and recovering.​
Thanks to our comm​
unity for their support.​

Lakewood police had to wait until fire crews were finished rescuing people and putting out roaring car fires before approaching the scene to investigate.

RELATED: Multiple people dead in fiery crash near Colorado Mills Parkway; I-70 closed eastbound

Traffic on I-70 where the crash occurred had backed up because of an earlier crash, Countryman said.

That crash happened on I-70 near Ward Road and involved a school busand semi-truck. Only minor injuries were reported, but eastbound lanes of the highway were briefly shut down.

“It doesn’t appear the bridge was hit,” he said. But it was scorched by flames from vehicles and spilled diesel fuel.

The driver suspected of causing the chain-reaction collisions is not from Colorado, Countryman said. After he was treated for minor injuries he underwent questioning by investigators and will be held in the Jefferson County jail.

He said there was no evidence that the suspect driver had been using drugs or alcohol.

Check back for updates on this developing story.

Kieran Nicholson also contributed to this report.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Which is also why the truck driver (sitting up high in his truck) would have been able to easily see that there was nowhere to go straight ahead.
I’m gonna guess he was hoping to ride the shoulder out. Maybe by the time he saw it, he was already past the last exit? Who knows? Things happen fast at his speed. We can’t see past other trucks or too far around curves.

Muj how much does a flatbed full of lumber weigh?
Idk. I don’t do flatbed yet. But I would guess if full he was close to the 80k weight limit.

Last edited:

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I’m gonna guess he was hoping to ride the shoulder out.
Yea, that's probably why he was on the shoulder.
....and I'm not saying that going up the ramp would have necessarily stopped him, just that was the least blocked option and that any upgrade would have at least started slowing the truck down. Ie: the inertia is certainly lessened by going that way.

I realize were discussing this when there's lots of time to review the incident and that things were happening lickety split in the cab of that truck. We also do not know the level of experience of the driver, or lack thereof.

Edited to add: situations like this always make me think of the trolley dilemma.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
8:33 you can see it's a flatbed full of lumber

If you click on the gear icon you can slowmo.

If you figure the cars moving on the left are exiting I70 @ 45mph? Must be 20 cars exiting right there...

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I realize were discussing this when there's lots of time to review the incident and that things were happening lickety split in the cab of that truck. We also do not know the level of experience of the driver, or lack thereof.
Yeah, we're just speculating here...

I think given the situation he was hanging on for dear life trying to avoid cars all around and praying for an out.

If his brakes failed at the top of that last hill (exit 260) at 45mph it's all downhill so gaining speed to 80mph+ in 4 miles isn't out of the question.

The bridge could have blocked his forward view down I70??

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
If you figure the cars moving on the left are exiting I70 @ 45mph? Must be 20 cars exiting right there.
Look at 9:10-9:12 in the vid. Far fewer cars on the ramp and all the ones at the bottom have just exited due to the fire. Ie: there was no blockage on the ramp and cars on it were still moving at the time the truck went by.

I think given the situation he was hanging on for dear life trying to avoid cars all around and praying for an out.
No doubt. He was thinkin' he could still save it, right up until the moment he couldn't.

If his brakes failed at the top of that last hill (exit 260) at 45mph it's all downhill so gaining speed to 80mph+ in 4 miles isn't out of the question.
Which is why it's better to look for an out sooner, rather than later in a situation like that. By hanging on and hoping for the best, he ensured a much more catastrophic accident.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Yeah, we're just speculating here...

The bridge could have blocked his forward view down I70??
While I can never claim to know the challenges of driving an 18 wheeler with a heavy load, I am a person who has always owned a vehicle with a standard transmission. What that means is I only know enough about this topic to be dangerous. To those who have experience in the area of driving the big rigs, would the driver be able to start downshifting to help reduce and limit his speed after he detected a brake failure?

ZZZZZ

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The driver suspected of causing the chain-reaction collisions is not from Colorado,
"Funny" the article isn't more specific. So where was he from? Illinois? Los Angeles? Moscow?

What are the odds he's an illegal immigrant?

Just askin'.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
While I can never claim to know the challenges of driving an 18 wheeler with a heavy load, I am a person who has always owned a vehicle with a standard transmission. What that means is I only know enough about this topic to be dangerous. To those who have experience in the area of driving the big rigs, would the driver be able to start downshifting to help reduce and limit his speed after he detected a brake failure?
If it's a standard tranny and the clutch went out...?

Just guessing and probably won't find out unless forensics can take the tranny apart and check the brakes?

Another thought on cars on the offramp - hope they weren't stopped at the light at the top....

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I looked into this further.

https://cdllife.com/2019/trucker-fa...0HLRUNZoY1iP9R1ONLMBwtfWFcQqdr5Xi7NjR__dgkV-k

He went past the runaway ramp. The 2nd video in the link.

He’s gonna end up going to prison.
Good find Muj! That guy is toast which tells me he didn't know what he was doing driving an 18. Probably the boss gave him the keys and off he went.

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 12.18.25 PM.png

"The truck driver who has been charged has been identified as 23 year old Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Medero.​
Police now say that at least four people died in the crash."​
If this 'young' guy learned to drive in Mexico... if you've ever been to Mexico and seen the way they drive....???

They're absolutely nuts. Traffic signs are mere 'suggestions'.

You always hear about some bus full of people going off a cliff.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I wonder if the guy can even read English.

Just askin'.
Local news coverage has sheriff saying he spoke English, but they had to use a translator....

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Kinda lucky only 4 were killed.
I suspect the accordion effect kept doors from opening and the impact probably knocked the victims out.

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Good find Muj! That guy is toast which tells me he didn't know what he was doing driving an 18. Probably the boss gave him the keys and off he went.

View attachment 130253

"The truck driver who has been charged has been identified as 23 year old Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Medero.​
Police now say that at least four people died in the crash."​
If this 'young' guy learned to drive in Mexico... if you've ever been to Mexico and seen the way they drive....???

They're absolutely nuts. Traffic signs are mere 'suggestions'.

You always hear about some bus full of people going off a cliff.
I'm shocked....SHOCKED I tell you!

the_shootist

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Local news coverage has sheriff saying he spoke English, but they had to use a translator....
Makes perfect sense to me. He spoke English but apparently all he said was "notmyjobmaan", and "I dindunuffin"!!

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Semi and school bus crash was 3 miles up the road during rush hour backing up traffic for at least 3 miles.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
If it's a standard tranny and the clutch went out...?

Once he lost his brakes and was going down the mountains while hauling a heavy load, the momentum and inertia would have caused him to go over speed; going over speed would cause him to go over RPMs, once over RPMs the clutch would burn out and be useless unless he managed to take it out of gear.

If he somehow by the grace of god managed to take it out of gear, he would have been out of control anyway.

At the point where you have no brakes and are picking up speed, there is no downshifting, you can’t downshift while speeding up.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I’m gonna guess he was hoping to ride the shoulder out. Maybe by the time he saw it, he was already past the last exit? Who knows? Things happen fast at his speed. We can’t see past other trucks or too far around curves.

Idk. I don’t do flatbed yet. But I would guess if full he was close to the 80k weight limit.
Try coming to a dead stop with just a car doing 80 even with functioning brakes. Came over a crest on I 90 to find a line of cars not moving. Eyes we're switching from in front if me to rear view.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Once he lost his brakes and was going down the mountains while hauling a heavy load, the momentum and inertia would have caused him to go over speed; going over speed would cause him to go over RPMs, once over RPMs the clutch would burn out and be useless unless he managed to take it out of gear.

If he somehow by the grace of god managed to take it out of gear, he would have been out of control anyway.

At the point where you have no brakes and are picking up speed, there is no downshifting, you can’t downshift while speeding up.
Scary. In the time I spent in Fort Collins, the people I was staying with we're truckers. Tales of mountain passes were sometimes told.

EricTheCat

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
What a terrible mess of a crash. Thoughts go out to those involved.

Try coming to a dead stop with just a car doing 80 even with functioning brakes. Came over a crest on I 90 to find a line of cars not moving. Eyes we're switching from in front if me to rear view.
Once diving down I35 I came over a crest going 70 and had the same thing happen. There was light rain. I barely came to a stop maybe 3 feet behind the car in front of me. Then I look in my rear view and there is a semi coming toward me sliding sideways. Somehow he managed to stop just in time.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
You'll notice from my post #5 that ALL of those warning signs are in English...?

I bet he doesn't read a lick of it.

No hablo solo un poco de ingles.

They'll soon have them in Spanish - what you bet now that this happened???