• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

LIVE VIDEO Fiery Crash on I 70 in Denver Colorado.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I was coming back from NY one time in a full sized ford bronco. Heavy traffic but moving at 75. Then someone hit their brakes. I hit mine and brake lines broke. I swerved across 4 lanes of very heavy traffic and ended up on breakdown lane. No accident caused and no one hit me. To this day I still have no idea how that was possible.. 2 hrs from home I crawled and just used the emergency brake to slo or stop me.. Very lucky day for me. :)

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Never. EVER. Let smooth drive the van.....

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
You'll notice from my post #5 that ALL of those warning signs are in English...?

I bet he doesn't read a lick of it.

No hablo solo un poco de ingles.

They'll soon have them in Spanish - what you bet now that this happened???
Never. EVER. Let smooth drive the van.....

my facility loads chemical tank trucks in the houston area. 15-20 percent speak little or broken english. scary sh-t....as they are all new to the industry

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Aguilera-Mederos is from Cuba and is in the U.S. with a green card, 9Wants to Know learned.

Westbound lanes of I-70 reopened around 2 p.m. Friday, about 21 hours after Thursday's crash. The highway fully reopened just over 6 hours later.

My defence: Signs not in Spanish might implicate State of CO…?

COLORADO
Vehicular Homicide – Class 4 Felony: The defendant unlawfully drove or operated a motor vehicle in Colorado in a reckless manner, and the conduct was the proximate cause of death to another person, in violation of 18-1-305(1)(a), C.R.S.

Sentencing Range for Vehicular Homicide – Class 4 Felony: 2-6 years in prison is the presumptive range; up to 12 years if a judge finds extraordinary aggravating circumstances.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
'I'm lucky to be alive': I-70 crash victim credits 2 passersby with saving her
Leslie Maddox was on her way from work when the crash that involved 28 vehicles occurred. She credits two passersby with saving her life.

Author: Caitlin Hendee, Bobbi Sheldon
Published: 3:13 PM MDT April 26, 2019
Updated: 9:53 PM MDT April 26, 2019

A woman who was injured Thursday during a fiery crash on Interstate 70 credits two people with saving her life.

video at link 1:20 mark

Four people were killed and at least six were injured in that crash, which occurred in the eastbound lanes of I-70 near the 20th Avenue/Denver West interchange. Four semi-trucks and 24 passenger vehicles were involved.

RELATED: 4 people killed in fiery crash on I-70, semi driver arrested

"I'm lucky to be alive," said Leslie Maddox, speaking from St. Anthony Hospital in Lakewood.

Maddox was stuck in traffic after leaving her job at Red Rocks Community College. She said people ran toward the fire to help others escape. She said the noise from the crash sounded "like a bomb went off."

Red Rocks Community College student Meleia Harsh and a man Maddox knew as "Lloyd" helped pull her from her car. Her right arm and nose were broken.

The semi-truck driver, who Lakewood police said caused the fiery crash, was identified as Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederos, 23, of Houston, Texas.

He has been taken into custody on four charges of vehicular homicide, police said.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...g-her/73-09338442-51e1-4cce-b099-5e296e6c29e9

"I just feel sorry for the other people. This is horrific," she said.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Driver accused of causing fiery I-70 crash sends family and friends a message from jail

The wife of Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederos posted the message on Facebook Monday night.

Author: Sonia Gutierrez
Published: 6:19 AM MDT April 30, 2019
Updated: 9:56 AM MDT April 30, 2019

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colorado — The man suspected of causing a 28-vehicle crash that claimed four lives sent his family and supporters a message through his wife, who posted it on social media Monday night.

The man, identified by Lakewood police at Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederos, was arrested on suspicion of four counts of vehicular homicide and two counts of vehicular assault but has not yet been formally charged.

On Facebook, Nailan Gonzalez wrote, “After our visit today ... he asked me to publish this under his name.” According to the post, she has not been able to see her husband in person since last Thursday’s crash on I-70 – she’s only been able to talk to him over a jail phone system.

9NEWS

“Mami, please publish this giving thanks on my behalf since I, unfortunately, cannot do it myself,” the post read. “God is with me; this is not fair what they’re doing to me, but I never thought that I’d have a whole world supporting me on the outside.”
Gonzalez referred to her husband differently than police, calling him Rogel Lazaro Aguilera.

RELATED | Trucking company connected to I-70 crash has history of safety issues involving brakes

According to Lakewood police, Aguilera-Mederos was at the wheel of a tractor-trailer rig hauling lumber when it barreled into a traffic backup at speeds estimated as high as 100 mph. According to an arrest affidavit, he later told police that his brakes failed and that he tried to pass traffic on the shoulder, then swerved back into the travel lanes as he approached another big rig stopped on the shoulder.

RELATED | 'If the last thing you hear is, 'I love you,' that’s pretty good:' Wife remembers victim of I-70 crash

The resulting crash killed four men:
  • Doyle Harrison, 61, of Hudson.
  • William Bailey, 67, of Arvada.
  • Miguel Angel Lamas Arellano, 24, of Denver.
  • Stanley Politano, 69, of Arvada.

“I never imagined there’d be so many people defending me,” Aguilera-Mederos’ wife wrote in the post. “Right now, my best attorneys have been the people who support me and those who have prayed for me. I yearn for the day that I can get out to give thanks.”

The post ended with grateful remarks from Aguilera-Mederos: "There is no way of paying back everything you all have done, truly I feel very grateful; without your support, none of this would have been possible.”

RELATED | How a marine and a college student helped save woman's life during the fiery I-70 crash

Gonzalez went on to say she is also grateful for everyone’s support. She also shared a page where people can help her husband. On it, she asserts that he is innocent. As of Monday night, 267 people raised $7,156.

Gonzalez said this is the second donation page she started. The first had already sparked an overwhelming amount of support, but when she closed the account other people were asking for ways to help, she said.

Aguilera-Mederos is due in court at 10 a.m. Friday. Formal charges are expected to be filed then.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I believe he had a green card.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I agree with the lawyer.... mechanical failure....

Former detective explains the many layers of major crash investigations
The attorney for the driver who has been arrested for the I-70 crash claims it was caused by mechanical failure.

Author: Ryan Haarer
Published: 10:35 PM MDT April 30, 2019
Updated: 10:35 PM MDT April 30, 2019

DENVER — An attorney for the truck driver involved in the crash and fire on I-70 last week says there’s “good evidence” that the truck malfunctioned.

Four people were killed and several others were injured in the pileup on I-70 and the Denver West interchange that caused a fire so intense that it melted the roadway and metal off of cars. Police said the crash involved at least 28 vehicles, including 24 cars and four semis.

Lakewood police said semi-truck driver Rogel Lazaro Aguilera-Mederos, 23, of Houston, Texas, caused the crash. He has been taken into custody on four charges of vehicular homicide, police said.

RELATED | 'It was an accident and it's tragic': Attorney for truck driver arrested in fiery I-70 crash says

RELATED | Driver accused of causing fiery I-70 crash sends family and friends a message from jail

Evidence of mechanical failure hasn’t been made public, but 9NEWS learned the truck company that driver Rogel Aguilera-Mederos works for, Castellano 03 Trucking LLC, has a history of safety issues with at least 10 violations for brake problems.

RELATED | Trucking company connected to I-70 crash has history of safety issues involving brakes

“There's a lot of parts that could fail, unfortunately,” said Mike Stogsdill, an accident reconstructionist and former crash unit detective. “With the friction comes heat. If you get too much heat you can get melting of the pieces inside which we call glazing, which can actually cause less friction.”​

He said investigators can look at several components on the truck’s brake system that might have failed.

Drivers are also expected to inspect their trucks, including brakes, before each trip. Maintenance logs can often play an important role in the investigation, Stogsdill said. Onboard electronics can also provide crucial data.

“It can give us information such as the vehicle speed, engine speed, what kind of faults may or may not have been present at the time. That could include brakes, engine, oil,” he said.

PHOTOS | A look at the aftermath of the fiery I-70 crash

Physical evidence from the actual crash site will play an important role, he said, but investigations work themselves back to the first sign of trouble.

In the case of the I-70 truck crash, witness video shows the truck passing up a runaway lane while appearing to have brake problems.

“Mechanical is one aspect. And then you have the human element. There’s always a human element,” said Stogsdill. “Drivers, especially big vehicles, coming down the mountain, need to gear down so they’re using a lower gear, which means they’re going to go slower.”​

RELATED | CDL instructor questions training, speed, in deadly semi crash on I-70

Aguilera-Mederos said his brakes failed, causing the truck to speed up to 85 mph and into stopped traffic.

Investigators point out in the arrest affidavit that he passed up not just the runaway ramp but also signs reminding drivers of the steep grade. The affidavit doesn’t say if the driver was being negligent.

RELATED | I-70's 'Don't be fooled' signs installed after 1989 runaway truck crash
The investigation is still ongoing.

All of these components and more will have to come together to determine if the four counts of vehicular homicide expected to be filed against the driver on Friday are warranted.

“They’ve got a long arduous process to sift through it all, put it back together. It’s just like a puzzle. Every piece is going to be put back together so that they can try to get the picture at the end,” said Stogsdill.

Last edited:

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I agree with the lawyer.... mechanical failure....
There is just one giant glaring issue here. It was more than his brakes going out; He failed to use the runaway ramp.

At 1:20 you can see the driver fly past the runaway ramp while he appears to be out of control. He was supposed to use it; because of his failure 4 people died, likely burned to death. He’s gonna go to prison; the prosecutors are not going to overlook this.

Edit:

By law, the commercial driver is supposed to know how read English for the purpose of following highway traffic signs.

AAF9F52C-9EA9-4A31-861D-36720F6C53C6.jpeg

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2014-10-01/pdf/2014-23435.pdf (Page 2)

Last edited:

Son of Gloin

Certainty of death? What are we waiting for?
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
There is just one giant glaring issue here. It was more than his brakes going out; He failed to use the runaway ramp.

At 1:20 you can see the driver fly past the runaway ramp while he appears to be out of control. He was supposed to use it; because of his failure 4 people died, likely burned to death. He’s gonna go to prison; the prosecutors are not going to overlook this.

Edit:

By law, the commercial driver is supposed to know how read English for the purpose of following highway traffic signs.

View attachment 130701

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2014-10-01/pdf/2014-23435.pdf (Page 2)
Yep. I’m sure this guy didn’t mean to kill anyone, but there is such a thing as criminal negligence and vehicular homicide is real. When you’re in command of that much power and mass going down the road at high speed, you are responsible for that vehicle, knowing the response of that vehicle under varying road conditions, reading and understanding the road signs and the safety of people on the road with you. I drove professionally for decades, not large rigs like that, but commercial vehicles and you need to be responsible and aware at all times, to avoid this very kind of tragedy. His bosses are responsible, too, for putting him in a vehicle of this type and sending him on this particular route. They’re negligent too.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I-70's 'Don't be fooled' signs installed after 1989 runaway truck crash
Our search for answers about last week's deadly crash on I-70 involving a runaway truck led us back to 1989.

Author: Noel Brennan
Published: 8:08 PM MDT April 30, 2019
Updated: 11:59 AM MDT May 1, 2019

COLORADO, USA — The story behind those eye-catching “don’t be fooled” signs along eastbound I-70, which practically beg truckers approaching Denver to drive safely, begins in 1989 with a tragic accident Chris Henning will never forget.
“It’s always still very fresh even though it was almost 30 years ago,” Henning said, glancing at the magnified microfilm on his computer screen. “This is the Denver Post from August 14, 1989, and the front page [headline]: ‘Crash kills 2 people, 40 horses. Semi out of control.’”

I-70 crash coverage from Denver Post, 1989
9NEWS

Henning is the communications manager for the Denver Public Library. On August 13, 1989, he was witness to the aftermath of a horrific crash on I-70 near the Morrison exit. The driver of a tractor-trailer carrying 44 horses lost control and rammed several cars before turning over in the eastbound lanes of the interstate. Two people were killed, seven were injured and 40 horses were killed. Many of the horses died in the crash, but others were put out of their misery by officers with pistols.

“That’s the thing that I remember the most, are horses in various stages of either dying, or they were trapped, or the sounds that they were making was just horrendous,” Henning recalled. “It was just a gruesome sight."

Dan Hopkins remembers the sight, too.

“It was certainly one of the worst,” he said.

Hopkins used to be the communications director for the Colorado Department of Highways, the predecessor to the Colorado Department of Transportation. He said a task force formed following a series of runaway truck crashes on I-70. The task force worked to find solutions and came up with a sign.

“One thing we came across was a project by Caltrans, [the] California Department of Transportation, on Donner Pass,” Hopkins said. “They had similar problems there and had erected some unusual signs.”

Hopkins said the Colorado task force came up with unusual signs its own.

“Well, you won’t find these signs anywhere else on the highways,” he said. “I think that’s what is unique. You don’t see a sign that says, ‘hey don’t be fooled.’ Or ‘you’re not down yet.’”

9NEWS
You’ll see the signs driving eastbound near Genesee Park, Morrison and as you get closer to Denver. Hopkins said the signs required an exemption from the Federal Highway Administration because they were so different.

“It’s everyday language,” Hopkins said. “It’s not a typical highway sign that’s very sterile, very conforming.”

Hopkins said the signs seemed to work.

“Certainly, at the time we kept statistics for a number of years afterwards, which showed a really marked decline in runaway truck accidents,” he said. “It did make a difference.”

Hopkins is convinced the signs spared lives and tragic headlines like the one from August 1989.

WATCH: 9NEWS' report on the 1989 crash (by current 9NEWS anchor Kim Christiansen)

video

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Video of truck using the ramp that the guy who caused the big crash failed to use.

Last week's crash on I-70 has a lot of people wondering about runaway truck ramps. Steve Staeger set out to learn how often these ramps are used, and what happens after the truck goes flying up.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Here's another vid of a runaway truck. It's a compilation vid, but set it to start where someone followed and recorded a truck with smoking brakes going down a curvy mountain highway. Some scary stuff. No big surprise, but he ends up wrecking the truck. He seems to to be ok though. At least he fared better than the truck did.