• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Loading Up on Silver: The Whole World Will - Decimation

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
It seems spot is trending downward yet again to start the day. I keep expecting a big move one way or the other every day as it's only a matter of time before the house of cards collapses.

anywoundedduck

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I don’t see bullion ever being used in circulation at stores. Maybe between individuals, but not franchise stores.
As with the last two Silver bull runs, there will be a stores, all over, with signs saying,
WE BUY SILVER
TOP DOLLAR FOR STERLING
etc.
on every corner. People will line up to sell grandma's teapot, just as before. In other words, if the grocery don't accept your silver junk or eagles or rounds, you will have plenty of shops that will barter for your silver. History always repeats.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Friendly reminder...
There's a fool born every day! :)
PROOF: My late uncle was executor of my grandfather's estate. Running / owning grocery stores his entire life 'Grandpa" would pull silver dollars out of the cash registers and replace them with a paper bill. He had over 400 silver dollars at his death . My uncle told my mom and other uncle he took the silver dollars to the bank and had them deposited into the savings account. So he could divide the account between the three of them. If I recall correctly the silver dollars were worth $4.00 each.
I believe the story is true as he told of the bank manager coming over "and helping" the teller with completing the transaction.
My cousin who executed her dad's estate when he died talks about my grandpa's old 38 revolver they got but there was nothing about silver dollars.

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
If I only knew then what I know now!!!

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
If I only knew then what I know now!!!
Problem there is / was: A willing seller and a willing buyer.
I knew of silver way back then because my grandmother had me sell her sterling flatware when silver got crazy due to the Hunt Bro. attempt to corner the market.
I had told my uncle I would like some of the silver dollars and would pay $4.00 ea. He told me the silver dollars are gone.
So even knowing does not make a transaction happen.

stAGgering

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
PROOF: My late uncle was executor of my grandfather's estate. Running / owning grocery stores his entire life 'Grandpa" would pull silver dollars out of the cash registers and replace them with a paper bill. He had over 400 silver dollars at his death . My uncle told my mom and other uncle he took the silver dollars to the bank and had them deposited into the savings account. So he could divide the account between the three of them. If I recall correctly the silver dollars were worth $4.00 each.
I believe the story is true as he told of the bank manager coming over "and helping" the teller with completing the transaction.
My cousin who executed her dad's estate when he died talks about my grandpa's old 38 revolver they got but there was nothing about silver dollars.

That is just plain sad.
I feel for your Grandpa's loss of effort and discarded foresight.
When my accountant Grandad passed, I received his silver.
Mostly 40%ers he scooped, which I traded for 90%ers at LCS.
I keep his Constitutionals in the last gasp storage.
Of the four grandparents I had, he's the only one who should have made 100+

It will be interesting to see if my dad still has the 100's of ounces I convinced him to buy in 2009.
He's dragging a tank around like Grandad, not much time left.
Crackheads and cigarette smokers, the only difference, the acceleration speed towards death.

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
In my mind junk silver is the ultimate hold for shtf situations for the following situations among others,
1: Its face value would be available should we go into a deflation stage as some predict.
2: it is easily recognizable and for me I like the Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty halfs because they are more recognizable than modern coinage such as the Washington quarter where there could be some confusion over the date and % silver in each quarter.
3: it is highly liquid and wont require an assay like bars would.
4: It has a low value compared to gold that would make it easier for day to day . I have some gold too
transactions on a face to face basis.
5: the premiums over melt are lower when compared to other silver items.

Those are my main reasons for holding and I am sure everyone else has other reasons to buy and hold silver. I have gold as well and to me its greatest value is its trans-portability due to its value vs physical size. Regardless of anything be happy with what you have because should a shtf occur we here will most probably be more prepared than anyone else out there.

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
In my mind junk silver is the ultimate hold for shtf situations for the following situations among others,
1: Its face value would be available should we go into a deflation stage as some predict.
2: it is easily recognizable and for me I like the Mercury dimes and Walking Liberty halfs because they are more recognizable than modern coinage such as the Washington quarter where there could be some confusion over the date and % silver in each quarter.
3: it is highly liquid and wont require an assay like bars would.
4: It has a low value compared to gold that would make it easier for day to day . I have some gold too
transactions on a face to face basis.
5: the premiums over melt are lower when compared to other silver items.

Those are my main reasons for holding and I am sure everyone else has other reasons to buy and hold silver. I have gold as well and to me its greatest value is its trans-portability due to its value vs physical size. Regardless of anything be happy with what you have because should a shtf occur we here will most probably be more prepared than anyone else out there.
I like Franklin halves too, because there is no confusion about their silver content. And they are usually in better condition than walking halves.

Last edited:

the_shootist

Trump 2020
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I like Franklin halves too, because there is no confusion about their silver content. And they are usually in better condition that walking halves.
It's pretty easy to tell silver content in more common silver coins such as Washington quarters and Kennedy halves by the date. That information would circulate pretty quickly among the ignorant if junk coins come into vogue

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
It's pretty easy to tell silver content in more common silver coins such as Washington quarters and Kennedy halves by the date. That information would circulate pretty quickly among the ignorant if junk coins come into vogue
True enough.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
As with the last two Silver bull runs, there will be a stores, all over, with signs saying,
WE BUY SILVER
TOP DOLLAR FOR STERLING
etc.
on every corner. People will line up to sell grandma's teapot, just as before. In other words, if the grocery don't accept your silver junk or eagles or rounds, you will have plenty of shops that will barter for your silver. History always repeats.
and how much of that will end up being melted and poured back into ingots?

suggestion:
for those who have the time, cherry-pick your own stash NOW, while you may have the time.

don't trade off, at some later date, a handfull of DDO's / DDR's, clipped, off-center, rarer, etc coins that you have, for a can of beans...

Mujahideen

Essential Worker
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Shtf LoL @ whomever trades supplies for metals.

A slice of bread is worth over a pound of gold to someone starving.

MIavatar

Silver Miner
Where you guys been shopping? junk silver premiums are crazy high. Only deals are big 5 oz plus bars at this time stamp

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Shtf LoL @ whomever trades supplies for metals.
you might be laughing at a bunch of people because you can't eat metal...and in the end, isn't that the only trade? why trade your metal for fiat only to have to purchase supplies?

unless you've got a warehouse full of supplies we don't know about???

ZZZZZ

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Where you guys been shopping? junk silver premiums are crazy high. Only deals are big 5 oz plus bars at this time stamp
The premium only looks high because the manipulated price of phony fiat paper silver on the Crimex is too low.

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
It has a nice clear "ring" to it when it's dropped on a hard surface as well. I have found a few by hearing them first.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
It has a nice clear "ring" to it when it's dropped on a hard surface as well. I have found a few by hearing them first.
And no sandwich looking reed rim. The silver 40s and pre '64 silver has a different patina / look at least in my opinion. I've been able to spot some before I could hold and examine in quarters and dimes. YMMV