• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Lost package on gim deal

savvydon

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Can you provide a link or some names?
There are many companies and they do things slightly differently, I can't find the company I looked into off the top of my head. However, if you will google, 'Third party insurance USPS package', that will get the ball rolling. There are many options that present and you can refine things from there. Most of these are for one off packages.

I'll also add that higher volume businesses can take out insurance plans that cover specific amounts for specific carriers and these plans include all packages sent. This works well for those that do this kind of thing regularly but doesn't make sense for the occasional user.

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
What if the contents were wrapped in tin foil once or twice to block any snooping?
Nope, it would show right up. You would probably need ¼ lead foil to stop them, and even that just attenuates the x-ray, not block it entirely.

BF

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
Nope, it would show right up. You would probably need ¼ lead foil to stop them, and even that just attenuates the x-ray, not block it entirely.

BF
And may cause inspectors to open your package since contents can not be viewed and could be questionable.
Here I have to answer these Questions: #1 Is there any liquid being shipped ? #2. Any potentially hazardous or dangerous material or chemicals inside ? Your area may very.

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I shipped many, many things USPS Priority. Lost 1 pkg, $900.00 price, refunded $ to buyer, submitted claim to P.O., all of a sudden pkg arrived to buyer intact but very dirty. This fiasco started a few days before Thanksgiving & ended in January the next year.
I still will ship inexpensive items but for any large deals prefer to do FTF cash & carry.

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
There are many companies and they do things slightly differently, I can't find the company I looked into off the top of my head. However, if you will google, 'Third party insurance USPS package', that will get the ball rolling. There are many options that present and you can refine things from there. Most of these are for one off packages.

I haven't found one that provides insurance on bullion or coins - they all carve that out in their fine print.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Reaction score
refunded $ to buyer, submitted claim to P.O., all of a sudden pkg arrived to buyer intact but very dirty.
Did the buyer refund your refund?

BigJim#1-8

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Did the buyer refund your refund?
Yes, it wasn't an ebay sale. He simply sent me a check. Gun parts, & dealing with gun people has always been a pleasure.

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
I haven't found one that provides insurance on bullion or coins - they all carve that out in their fine print.
I haven't either. Not for something large (in terms of $) anyway. I either self-insure or use Registered Mail. Now, I have successfully got money back from a lost package sent to Canada using eBay's standard int'l shipping service. But that was only $25 or so and I rarely use their service as I rarely mail coins/PM's overseas. I might have got lucky. And I know that eBay's new domestic shipping service for trading cards and coins has coverage for coins but very limited in terms of dollars plus if you list in the Bullion sub... can't use this service at all. It's really meant for low value clad or cheap circulated silver coins.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
I haven't either. Not for something large (in terms of $) anyway. I either self-insure or use Registered Mail. Now, I have successfully got money back from a lost package sent to Canada using eBay's standard int'l shipping service. But that was only $25 or so and I rarely use their service as I rarely mail coins/PM's overseas. I might have got lucky. And I know that eBay's new domestic shipping service for trading cards and coins has coverage for coins but very limited in terms of dollars plus if you list in the Bullion sub... can't use this service at all. It's really meant for low value clad or cheap circulated silver coins.

Yah stay away from offshore sales too, had a old olympic set a russian wanted, he paid cash to get me to send it to him.